Chapter 22 – Not A Lunch Date
111 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a quick ride, Angel and Skye arrived at the trendy cafe in town. They were then seated in the outdoor dining area where Skye ordered a hazelnut flan and Angel ordered a lemon tiramisu. The two talked while waiting for the sweets. 

“Just so you know, this is not a lunch date,” Angel declared. “I only accompanied you because I’m also curious about the energy left behind here.”

“Oh?” Skye smirked while reading the menu. “So you can feel the residual power from when your sister fought?”

“A little. It’s coming from that field behind this cafe’s yard.” Angel pointed to an open grassy area.

“Yeah, it is.” Skye nodded. “Let's check the area after dessert.”

“Agreed.” 

As the girls spoke, the waitress arrived and sat their orders in front of them. The sight of the desserts lightened the mood. 

“Oh my, the real cakes look more delicious than on the menu,” Angel said. She then took a small bite of the tiramisu from her fork. “MM!?” Angel's face twisted as an explosion of lemon zest on a perfect pastry overwhelmed her senses. 

“Wow.” Skye gaped at Angel. “It must be good if it cleared up your resting-bitch-face, heh heh!”

“Hush, you!” Angel fired back. But she couldn’t stay mad because the cake was delicious. “Mmm, this tiramisu is divine!”

“Huh.” Skye smiled and dipped her fork in her own dessert. “The flan is the same way. Baked with care. Here, try it.” She raised the fork to Angel’s mouth. 

“Eh?” Angel frowned. “I’m not eating from your fork. We’re not intimate.”

“What?” Skye smirked. “Angel, let me remind you that you beat me up, took a bath with me. And now we're here skipping school and eating cake. I’d say we’re intimate.”

“No, none of that- Ah?” Before Angel could fuss anymore, Skye shoved the fork in her mouth. “Mmm?” And with Skye’s sweet dessert attacking Angel’s senses, the feisty wind-type sat back in her seat. “Yes. You are correct. The flan is to die for. Even if it was salted with your germs!”

“I gave it flavor,” Skye teased, pinching Angel’s hand. 

“Hardly.” Angel squinted. “Anyway, wolf-girl. Why have you decided to be my running mate? And it had better not be out of charity.”

“Ha, no. And I haven’t said yes, yet. And I won’t until you answer me honestly.”

“Answer you about what?”

Skye sat back. “Tell me why you really want to be president, Angel.”

“Eh?” Angel paused. She’d provided the short answer before. But from the way Skye glared at her, Angel had to be sincere. Sigh. “My dear sisters enjoy their pastimes. Sports and fashion. And as I explained to Emilia, I want to enjoy mine. And no, it’s not being a dictator.”

“I didn’t say it was.”

“You looked like you wanted to. But either way, my hobby is being in charge of things. Running the show.”

“Management for the sake of management?” Skye asked. 

“Well.” Angel lowered her eyes and smiled. “None of us are paid to attend school. But we participate in the activities we enjoy. And just as any wannabe president. I like when students and faculty put their faith in me to handle whatever activity needs administrating. I’m good at that sort of thing. And I like the adulation and respect that comes with it.” 

After Angel spoke, Skye stared at her. 

“What? Do you want to mock me?” Angel asked.

“No. I want to vote for you.”

“Ah.” Angel glanced away. “Hopefully other students share your sentiment.”

“They will. Speak to them from the heart. Just like you did with me now,” Skye said. “People want to vote for authentic candidates.”

“Is that all they want?” 

“You wish! You also gotta give them bombast. Stand out from the crowd and make the voter think you can do a better job running things than they can. Or at least a better job than the other candidate.”

“I think I’m prepared in that department.”

“If you say so. But you definitely have the look down.”

“Really?” Angel sat straight up. “Do I look like a leader?”

“A leader?" Skye tilted her head. "Well, sure you do. But that’s not what I meant.” 

“No? Then what did you mean?”

“Wow. Seriously?" Skye blinked in disbelief. "Angel, do you really not know how gorgeous you are?”

“Eh?” Angel blushed, disarmed by the compliment. "Thank you. But I’m not so conscious of things like that. And compared to my sisters-”

“You’d win just as many pageants as your sisters would. Even more, if you smiled once in a while. You evil-faced cutie,” Skye teased, plucking Angel’s cheek.

“Ah! Hello, I don’t need your flattery.”

“Yeah, but you like it, don’t you?”

"Hmph." Angel looked away. "I suppose most things in moderation are nice.”

“Mhm.” Skye grinned. “Listen to you talking like a regular person, and not growling.”

Angel frowned at the statement. "I may not be human, but I do have civility."

“I know. And that's why I’m glad we went for dessert today.” 

“Yes, well." Angel glanced at her plate. “I dare say it has been a pleasant outing. And I still have more tiramisu if you want to try it.”

“Aw, thank you.” Skye smiled. “But it’s okay, I'm full. And it’s getting late. So let's inspect the field and get back to school.”

“Understood.” Angel nodded. “But should I wrap the rest to go?”

“No need. We’ll visit again,” Skye said. She then asked the waitress for the check.  

The Field

With time against them, the girls ordered a rideshare to take them back to school. While they waited, Skye walked around the grassy field behind the cafe. The place where Cassia fought the demon. 

“Water energy everywhere,” Skye said, smelling the air. 

“That’s my sister’s element. And she controls it,” Angel bragged. 

“Sure, sure.”

But while Skye sniffed around, Angel wondered how the two of them even reached this point. Last night I wanted to kill this free-spirited wolf. Now I might be planning our election campaign together. What’s the matter with me? When did I get so soft? Then Skye stopped moving on a certain spot and took a knee.

“What’s up?” Angel asked. 

“The thing escaped into a hole that was here. A tiny portal he created using stolen energy.” 

“Hmm?” Angel bent down. And as she did, she felt residual power. It lingered like smoke from a long-dead fire. And it was also familiar. “Ah! This is Emilia’s energy!”

“Yes.” Skye took a breath and stood up. “Seems you and your sisters aren’t the only ones feeding on Emilia. The thing is too.”

“But how?” Angel asked. “That thing is never around Emilia. And she hasn’t seen it since it appeared in the school hallway last week. The same day Mina sliced it in half.”

“Yeah, but don’t forget. It’s showing itself as a manifestation. Not its real body.”

“So where is the real demon now?” 

Skye shrugged. Just then her phone vibrated. She checked it. “It’s the rideshare. It’s in front of the cafe. We’d better get back to school.”

“Right.” 

The two students then ran to catch the ride. 

Late Bell

As soon as the rideshare reached the school, Skye and Angel jumped out and snuck into a back door leading to the empty gymnasium.

“I told you no one would be in here,” Skye whispered as she and Angel then slipped into the hallway, just as the late bell rang. “Whoa, right on time.”

“Not for my bio teacher,” Angel said. “In her class, if you are not early-”

“Ahem! You two young ladies!” A booming voice called out from behind Skye and Angel. And when the girls turned around, there stood the heavy-set, Dean of discipline, Ms. Holstrom. “Skye Martinez and Angel Krieger!”

“Ah! Yes, Ms. Holstrom?” Skye and Angel snapped to attention. Just as they did, Ms. Holstrom walked toward them, scowling. 

“Did you ladies think you could sneak out for lunch and we wouldn’t notice?” she asked. 

“Umm.” Skye and Angel looked at each other before Skye answered. “Well, you see, Ms. Holstrom. We wouldn’t’ve had to sneak out if we had permission to go into town for lunch in the first place. Am I right?” She smiled. 

Ms. Holstrom squinted. “Ms. Martinez, you didn’t have permission. So your logic is flawed. And you two will think about the flaw while you sit in detention after school.”

“Detention?” Angel gasped, before glaring at Skye. 

“Yes. For ninety minutes,” Ms. Holstrom confirmed. “Now, you ladies follow me to the main office so that you can sign your reprimand letters. And be thankful we don’t contact your parents.”

“Thank you!” Angel and Skye blurted.

“Ah!” Ms. Holstrom gaped at them. “Don’t push your luck or I’ll add more time.” 

Skye and Angel then followed Ms. Holstrom, while late students in the hallway gawked at them. Angel could hear the whispers. “Oh my god, isn’t that girl running for president? I wonder why she got in trouble.”

Angel then threw a dirty look at Skye. And in her best Skye voice, Angel said, “Don't be square, Angel. We'll be right back. nO OnE WiLL EvEn kNoW We’re GoNe!” 

“Eh.” Skye slunk down in shame. “Yeah, I guess I did say that. But hey, look at the bright side. Once we’re in detention we can talk about how good the desserts were, right?”

Angel didn’t reply. She just squinted her eyes at Skye, before showcasing her most hateful resting-bitch-face yet.  Angel then entered the main office. Leaving Skye standing in the hallway. 

“Ah, man.” Skye paused outside.  Angel-cake is really mad at me this time. She then shrugged. Oh well, she’ll get over it! Plus I know she had fun. So in the grand scheme of things~

Good Times! 

 

.... 

 

 

5