Downhill
515 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sky was collapsing - no, rather the stars were falling, one by one from the darkening heavens. The moon remained stationary, frozen and safe. She was standing in a forest alone, looking up between the trees at the silent chaos. Small lights shooting towards the earth, flickering out as they approached the ground.

Such beauty could only be found in catastrophe, and almost nowhere else. The last thing Czarynah saw was one star, rushing towards her very person. Something big was about to happen.

And she woke.

Grabbing a random object from her bedside table, she sat up and whacked her elbow with it.

Pain.

So now she was awake. Glaring at the object, identified as a small handheld mirror, she diverted her frowning stare at her reflection. The boyish girl behind the glass glared back, just as defiant.

A finely shaped face and petite upper body structure, from what she could see. An otherworldly iridescent curtain of long, long hair draped across translucent light peach skin, the lovingly drawn white eyebrows and the thick eyelashes especially highlighted.

But her eyes, they had changed again. From the pale, holographic disks, to the irises were now like the eyes that owl Zeus back on earth sported, like a night sky filled with stars. Her intruding pupils like two inky cat-like slits, ever-expanding in the darkness.

Smiling numbly, Czarynah dropped the mirror with a soft thud and immediately turned back to bed. That was enough for today.

Closing her eyes, she calmed back to sleep. Just another dream.

Just another dream.

Wait.

No-

She bolted upright, leapt out her bed and ran to the window. A quiet shadow was sitting by the frame. Her eyes widened.

"Lyllah!" her voice was hoarse. The shadow didn't move. 

"LYLLAH!" Czarynah yelled, flying to her side. 

She wasn't moving, isn't now, and might never again. 

Heart hammering, the world stilled. 

Lyllah's skin was cold as the blue silk she was wrapped in, her hair damp and scattered. She was barefoot and a small note peeked from her grasp.

Very gently, Czarynah took the paper from her stiff hand, unfolding it just as carefully. The ink was blurred, but not by much, its dark blue mixed with the violets pressed into the page. She'd taken care of her last message. Lyllah's upright handwriting stood to attention, unaware they had no commander to follow anymore.

Sorry, Czarynah could hear her soft voice echoing, but thank you for staying with me this long.

No. 

No. 

Nononononononononononono-

"NO!" It's a nightmare. 

Let it be a nightmare. 

"It's a nightmare." Czarynah's voice shook, and she shivered in the cold. She forced a laugh, pulling Lyllah upright against her body. She winced at the chill. Pain.

"NO! LYLLAH!" Czarynah tried to stand up, but stumbled. Come on.

"Come on, Lyllah, " She was slipping from her grasp, limp as a ragdoll. Czarynah stilled.

"Lyllah?" She whispered. The sleeping girl started to glow, a faint light readily getting stronger. It enveloped her whole body until Czarynah had to look away. But she just flinched and turned her head back to face Lyllah, watching.

Watching the curse of the sea maiden. Anyone who took the life of a mermaid would disappear too, beautifully.

"No, Lyllah . . . " Czarynah collapsed to her knees, folding in on herself. 

And Lyllah had taken her own life.

A sob shook Czarynah's body. She tried to stabilise herself on her hands but fell onto her elbows with a thump

Lyllah . . .

Let it be a dream.

Please- let it be a dream.

. . .

In the astral plane, a warm Latina woman spotted a green-haired girl amid the colourful swirls. Face brightening, she approached. The girl did not react until they were standing face to face, numb to the beautiful chaos.

"Hello, are you perhaps Lyllah Mehyrst?" she greeted. The girl just nodded shyly.

Poor girl. Let's get you out of here.

"Well, follow me. You'll find your brother's been waiting for you."

AN: Sorry, I'm just coming back to this story! Short and bitter, eh?

2