I’m not the Star, no need for Glory
25 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With my agreement, the character template reappeared in front of me.

Who do I want to be?

I don’t know.

I’m in control of my entire past here, and every word I pen redefines my history. How would you rewrite your life?

I’d compare it to a blank canvas like every author before me, but I’m a horrible painter. I don’t possess the adequate language to describe a picturesque image. Art was always her specialty.

‘Isn’t the illustration something beautiful?’ She turned in her chair asking for my opinion for the drawing that was spanned across her monitor.

‘Absolutely magnificent.’ I replied, not knowing what else to say. It was a wonderful piece, why? I have no clue. It was a beautifully vibrant piece of a girl who was falling into the torrid waters while reaching out towards the viewer.

‘Don’t you think it is dark?’ She inquired as she turned back towards the screen continuing her shading.

‘It’s only dark if she hits the water below. But if the viewer reached out and catches her outstretched hand, it is beautiful. The only difference between a comedy and tragedy is the final act.’

She never did reply to me then. Thinking back on it, maybe she did. I can’t recall, too engrossed in catching up for the foreboding deadline at the time.

So since I’m not her, and she is not here to assist me, let’s move on.

Instead of blank canvas, around me is empty plains that go out to the horizon without obstructions. Every choice I make here cause tremors that morph this land into my life. The house, mansion, complex, I was raised in by a nanny because of absent parents. Of my older brother who felt he acted in my best interests. Of my younger sister who I disallow from ever having a boyfriend. Of the butler who was closest I had to a father figure. Sometimes the story is closer to our lives than authors are willing to admit.

Separating from immediate family history I need to define myself. I need to choose a magic from the myriad that conceptually existed in the world. What character do I want to be in this story? How do I want to define the future? How much power do I need for the impending fights that are just over the horizon?

The simple choice was to be a plain extra, a sword mastery with a magic power that was indistinguishable from all other students.  

The most powerful option would be any magic I classified as unique from my setting documents, usually reserved for main characters or villains. While quite a few ancient powers I never allowed to exist in the story because they were world bending instead only there for lore.

For the short term I penciled in clairvoyance as I felt this would give me the best chance to explain myself if asked about my knowledge.

I wasn’t keen on the choice, but I could go back and adjust it later.

Next was to worry over what weapon I majored in. I quickly crossed out guns, as they were created for normal citizens to have a way to hold their own against monsters. The Academy didn’t even have a set as no student had ever majored or minored in them.

‘Ready for another bout?’ Sky stood across from me with a sword raised in front of him.

‘So long as your promise to take it easy on me.’

He never did. I thought about doing swords, but the idea was discarded upon my lackluster experience with them. Granted my only opponent was Sky, and he is not the best bar.

I instead went with the weapon I grew up with, the bow.

Next, there was what I embarrassing titled “Innate Birth Rights” most accurately called skills. Looking back I wish it was called skills; however, can you blame a young author for flashy names? Skills were limited to enhancements of the body and in rare cases magic power. They didn’t adapt over time and whatever you were born was your birth right the rest of your life. So, in some ways, the naming sense wasn’t horrendous.

I didn’t think this over for long as I landed on Eye Sight. Birth Right Magic is special and immensely overpowered, but it didn’t fit me. Only can be the author or main character, never both.

It clicked then, shadow magic. It is not a unique magic but there are no shadow teachers, so any apprentices were left to their devices, a cycle that lasted for decades. It isn’t that shadow mages are seen in a bad light, despite a majority of masters turning to less moral occupations. There no glory to the magic which is why many were turned off from it. How are you meant to be a shadow if you are in the spotlight?

With myself set in stone I returned to writing my history. I didn’t want to leave things ambiguous in case of the “Being” taking liberties with my writings.

To summarize, parents are dead from supposed natural causes, but was instead my older brother, Vincent, no longer standing their tyranny. The family has prospered under his reign with support from his wife’s family, The Vihills (Vi-Hill). I was always in his shadows, even if I came in second that was never enough because he was first. It was why there were no surprises given the family’s prosperity with him at the helm. My younger sister, Marlena, is impulsive, the troublemaker of the three of us. I can’t count the number of times I got awoken by the night-watch because she had done something wrong. I started not sleeping until she was home because of it.

I, Ziph, was accepted to Jupiter Academy without much contention. In the same year as my best friend Sky who I have grown up sparring with. If you locked eyes with him he would demand a challenge. Another hot blooded person I constantly had to keep on a tight leash in fear of public outcries.

Everything was set. My stomach churned uneasy from nerves. Once I click confirm, it is all locked, this is my life then. This becomes me. I had to be prepared for what comes next, because even if you know the future doesn’t mean you can overcome it.

[Author has created a stellar but simple backstory along with a standard choice of weapon, underpowered magic, and advanced Innate Birth Right. The decided grade was a C. The reward is now available.]

A grade? Interesting. However it begs the question of what is the criteria? For now I will pencil in that the grade is decided by if the character is fixed while keeping their initial purpose to the story. It would be fitting because what I wrote is vastly different from what would be done for Ziph to keep his plot convenience. I shouldn’t throw out the idea that I will be graded on intentions that weren’t ever written but instead only storyboarded. Removing Ziph’s connection to her is a big character adjustment that changes his entire story arc.

“Delivery for Ziph Rose,” Followed the knock at the door.

Inside the package a black leather like jacket. From the examination of the jacket, it was found to have three runes, two protection, and one temperature regulation. The material was skinned from a monster in the snake family but was covered by cow leather.

I took off the school uniform jacket and replaced it with this new one. It may be late but my body wasn’t yet willing to sleep. I exited the dorm hall and relaxed out under a tree that overlooked the city.

+++

“Meeting twice in the same day? This must be fate.” Serena’s cheery voice pipped in from behind the tree that I sat under.

“Oh fate, how you curse me!” I laughed, in my surprise forgetting the setting. That this wasn’t the Serena from my life.

She sat down next to me and punched my shoulder, “Rude! Others would be thankfully if fate gave them the chance to meet me twice.” She pouted but didn’t hide the slight laugh in her complaint. Strands of her long black hair blown in face by the gusts of night’s nippy wind.

“I’m not most people. So don’t go falling in love with me.” I countered with a snicker. I deluded myself then, treated her the same way as her inspiration. As it was only in my delusions that I wouldn’t break down.

“Not even in your dreams,” She was equally playful.

There was a short silence as we both watched the city light flicker out as people turned over for sleep. I asked, “What are you doing out here so late?”

“Nervous. I’m wondering what my family is doing now that I’m not there to bother them.” She spoke with her thin scarlet lips pierced straight.

“I’m sure they are worried about you. Curious how their beautiful daughter is being take advantage of by the first person she met.”

“Hey, don’t go falling in love with me.”

“Not even in your dreams.”

“Why are you out here?”

“My sister. She was never home at normal hours, and I wouldn’t go to sleep until she was back.”

“That’s really nice of you to do.”

“I’m sure my brother is over the moon with my absence. As she is now his responsibility.” I looked away from the city and towards her. My eyes caught on the white rays of light that glistened off her hair.

“What do you mean?” She giggled.

“Let’s jus-“ I was cut off from a buzz in my pocket. It was a call from my brother. “It’s him now.”

“Hi, Vincent, what would you ever be calling about at this ungodly hour?” I put the call on speaker for her to hear.

“I was called out to pick up our wonderful sister. Something to do with tavern being an aquarium.”

At the statement Serena couldn’t contain her laugh, “Ziph, why am I speaker?”

“Because our Sister’s wonderful escapades should be shared with the world.”

“Great then how about you go pick her up.”

“Oh would you look at the time! I’m going to hang up now.”

“Ziph, congrats.”

“Good Luck without me, tell Lucia I miss her.”

“Do you not miss me!”

“Bye!” I quickly slammed hang up and tucked the phone away.

“You have an interested dynamic with your brother.” Serena stated amused by the situation.

“Don’t tell him this, but I’m the better brother. He has always been in my shadow.”

“It will be our secret. Like your name not being Aster.” She stood up and wiped the dirt from her skirt.

“Next time you can tell me your secrets. Can’t have you only learning about me here.”

“Next time!” She called back as she moseyed back into the dorm.

+++

“Everyone pick your weapon. You may at any point change weapon but you must return the weapon and a 3 grand fee.” The teacher’s loud voice sounded off inside our individual heads, a skill related to voices.

“Anax Freelan,” We were called up in order of rank, and unsurprisingly Anax picked the sword.

“Ji Gin,” Seeing his robust stature walk up to the stage and grabbed his weapon, a broadsword. My vision blurred as tears welled up clouding my vision. Ji Gin was modeled after one of my first followers. His hair was messy and brunette, along with an overly muscular body. His eyes were dark and drooping and his lips were tightened into a frown. The broad sword was placed on his shoulder but he didn’t look to notice the weight.

The email was sent to me through the light novel site, a favored from an admin on reaching out to me. ‘My name is Ji, and I love your story. I can’t wait to see where it goes from here! I regretfully don’t believe I will get to see this however. I was diagnosed with cancer.’ At this time the book only had 100 followers so I made the three hour drive to where he was treated.

The scene is still burned into my memory, a man laid there unable to move. His body was in pain and he couldn’t talk without coughing. I didn’t ask him to speak and instead told him my own story, the hours flew by and I retconned the initial character design. This man who had nothing left found my story worthwhile, he used the little energy he had to read my story. It was touching, it was a moment I would never forget. So, seeing him now standing up on that stage was something I couldn’t help but cry at. The single photo I was given that evening, of a man remarkably similar to Ji Gin stood in front of a stump with a tree over his shoulder.

“Ziph Rose,” There was nothing remarkable or even noteworthy to how I got up to the stage. I pulled the bow from the rack and in silence and a hardened face walked back into the crowd of students. I wasn’t the star of this story, no need for me to take the glory.

My apologies, but this chapter went on longer than expected, hence the delay in the upload. Hopefully will be back on track for chapters every other day.

2