The Bored King
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The professor was late and I was fading in and out consciousness. I tried to focus on the quieting gossip of neighbors of the latest rumors that spread across campus,

“Did you hear about Ji’s feats of strength? I heard he broke a school record.”

“Have they found out who the ranked first for the written exam?”

“Scarlet was seen in the courtyard last night. Wonder who she was meeting.”

It was all miscellaneous information that I disregarded. Slowly the voices were tuned out as my eyelids shut for sleep.

“Hey, man come on!” I heard a childish voice behind me as a gust of wind pushed against me. Without notice, my body ducked and my arm reacted by swinging backward and slashing against the boy’s chest.

“Sky, this isn’t right.” Now seeing the boy, I didn’t want to admit that this scene was real. My body didn’t feel my own as I could only watch the scene unfold. Quickly as it appeared it was gone, placed by myself sitting around in my old room. Again, I blinked and was out on the archery range before coming to this world. I wasn’t horrible, but this looked to be during my younger years. These were snapshots of my life, but it all burst into flames as a black shadow burst through. All light was cut out as it began thrashing into me. I couldn’t feel the pain, but I believed it to be there.

“Ziph wake up!”

“What?”

“You need to wake up!”

“No, I don’t!”

“Ziph, what is the answer!”

Then the world swelled, and light returned as I found myself awake back in the classroom, the professor standing in front of me. He was obviously pissed, “What is the answer to the question on the board?” Looking passed him the written question was, “In 1998 which world conqueror was born?”

I stiffened a laugh as I knew this question wasn’t meant to be answered. “Aster Yumi, he himself denounced the title of World Conqueror, instead opting for the title, ‘Bored King’.”

“That was only rumored, there was no evidence to support that claim.” He retorted, I seemingly forgot that Aster’s autobiography wasn’t found yet. His rest place being found was a small-time event but it was confirmed in his autobiography that Aster was a mage, the world’s first mage.

“But there are written statements from those who advised him that Aster was sociopathic. The most notable is from Wyatt, ‘He, Aster, is mentally unstable. He is bored, he is without morals. He sees this world and its inhabitants as bugs.’ He then proceeded to run a blade through his best friend’s chest.”

“It is believed that the power was too much for him and he lost his mind. This doesn’t support the claim but instead reinforcing that he desired the title of ‘World Conqueror’.”

“When the Gods sleep; the devil rises.” I replied with a yawn.

“I’m not sure what that has to do with anything here Ziph.” The professor answered confused.

“It’s nothing, just a devil looking for their playground” I shook my head. The saying was the opening words for Aster’s journal.

 

“Aster grew up with a love for chess and was on top of being a generational warrior was also a genius. He is most known for his riddles, some of which have been left unsolved. I’ll present his most famous.” The professor didn’t respond verbally but he was throwing me sideward glances the entire time.

“16, 06, 68, 88, ?, 98” “What is put in the place of the ‘?’?” Seeing this taunting riddle again I was annoyed, a friend of mine sent this to me back in high school and I was annoyed when I heard the answer. It’s so simple but it stumped me for over an hour before I gave in. To make myself feel better I made it so no one under rank 500 got it right.

[Author has noticed the flaw of the scene; would Author like to henceforth enact a revision?]

I agreed and looked around the frozen room to see who should know the answer. Then I saw her, ‘Destiny’ I forgot she was placed in this class. The classes were split by ranks of 100s, and she was ranked 601. Thought it would later be announced that she got a near perfect score on the entrance exam. Her rank would then shoot up and for a period be part of the supporting cast. It was a simple oversight but now I wrote it so that she did know the answer.

With save pressed time flowed and her hand shot up.

[Author has chosen the perfect character to find the answer. Grade A+, reward now available.]

“Destiny,”

“L8, the series is the numbers 86-91 written upside down.” The proudness in her voice was evident as a knowing smirk spread across her face.

“Exactly, nicely done.” He went into further crap about how the series was created but none of it mattered.

“Class is drawing to close so I’ll share one of Aster’s unsolved puzzles.” It could be one of 7, in the original write of the story I never actually included a riddle, but they existed in my documents for world building. All seven are special to the world most being used as arc closers for the story.

“I look down and do not speak, but a man dies. I sit up on my throne and don’t move but people praise me. I take no action, but people speak of my myths. Who am I?” This one was different from the others, most left unsolved because pieces of it were lost to time; but this one was unsolved because of the predisposition to what the answer is not.

We were dismissed shortly after, but I lagged behind contemplating the idea of writing the answer. I disregarded the idea as it seemed pointless.

“675,” Anax voice called from the doorway.

“1, what are you doing here?”

“It’s time to sign up for clubs, so I figured I’d come and ask you about joining me.” Clubs…

‘Aster! Come look! It’s beautiful.’ She pulled my arm out towards the cliff out in front of us the city illuminated in the night by the house lights. It was out special place, a special place I used to describe the school surroundings.

“So are you willing to join?” He repeated after not heard a reply.

“Sure thing, what club were you thinking?”

“It’s a small club almost shut down, photography.” He informed.

“Absolutely,” I couldn’t contain the smile. Photography was my second escape from the world, and used the club in the story as the main cast.

“Great! I’ll add your name to the list! Which is what, by the way? I only got your rank the last time we spoke.”

“Ziph, Ziph Rose.”

“Great, I’ll –“ He turned to face the board mid-sentence his attention stolen by the question.

“Really confusing riddle.” I stated with a light laugh.

“It is, makes sense no one answered it.” Anax forced a laugh as he turned to exit the lecture hall.

Maybe it was me trying to force myself into the story’s progression or maybe it was simply me looking for some interesting. “God. It just fits to me.” I didn’t wait for a reply as I rushed out the hall. We all dream of being the center of attention no matter how much we say otherwise.

Nothing really changed this chapter so enjoy the early release!

0