First Encounter Of A Combat Kind
194 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She would like nothing more than to follow through and press the advantage she gained however there was another matter to attend to first. At some point the house caught fire, she paid no heed to this as she quickly made her way over to the boy. He lay unconscious as an effect of having the corruptive energy forcefully purged from his body. After picking him under her arm she cut a swath through the mansion with a swing her lance and bounded outside leaving the burning and crumbling home behind her.

Outside a group awaited with mostly baited breath, their armour put them as members of the town’s guard and they looked to Sigrdrífa with awe and reverence. The Valkyrie ignored this to hand the boy over to one of them.

“Take him” and leave, make sure no one comes this way”

“Y-yes lady Valkyrie” the man stuttered carefully taking the limp youth off her hands.

“Were you unable to slay the monster?”

The one who spoke was the lone woman of the group dressed in a pristine white garb similar to the priestesses in Everguard though with a few altercations. The robe of ankle length, form fitting with slits in the legs to allow for movement and was adorned with golden crosses with angel wings at the back, the symbol for the Holy Order of the Goddess of lights, Erestia.

“She is no mere Succubus, she is a Demon and a powerful one” the Valkyrie answered turning to the house from which the smoke was visible.

Behind her the men blanched and the woman became grimfaced as she turned towards them “we are leaving.”

A few of them bristled, pride and duty forcing them to protest only to be silenced by the Valkyrie herself.

“ENOUGH! Your presence here will not aid me in any way, merely provide more obstacles. Take the boy and leave” her cold blue eyes paradoxically pinned them with a heated glare “ensure that no one comes near this place.”

None protested after wards and the group began to leave or at least they tried but a shimmering red barrier manifested trapping them within the vicinity of the burning mansion. Amongst the exclamations caused by the soldiers a voice echoed across the field.

“You aren’t going anywhere.”

Following that declaration a shimmering red and black portal came into existence just before the mansion. From this portal stepped the woman of the manor.

“You’ve finally decided to show your true form Demon” Sigrdrífa noted holding her lance at the ready.

She heard more than a few gasps and hitched breath behind her from the men. Sigrdrífa would like to think that it was caused by the knowledge that the woman whom they have known for years turned out to be an inhuman hellspawn. Unfortunately Sigrdrífa knew that there lay other reasons for it…as well as the red coloring of the men’s cheeks. She almost rolled her eyes when she spied on man with his jaw dropped.

Regardless the reason for their reaction became known as the portal closed behind the Demon. Just as she noted before the Demon, ‘Evelyn’ was no longer in her human guise. Without it she bore the typical traits of her kind, those being: light blue skin, pointed ears, a spaded tail, a pair of large draconic wings, dark horns that curved forward at the sides of her head.

One particular feature set off alarm bells in Sigrdrífa’s head, her eyes…they were yellow like a snake’s and thus marks her as belonging to one of the 72 demonic noble families.

That…is not good.

The Demon took a glance behind her chuckling at her partly destroyed home “well you’ve certainly made a mess of this place.”

Her tone was light, casual even as her gaze was as sharp as knife.

“Now to what do I owe the ‘pleasure’ of a visit from the Order” she trailed off deliberately as her eyes met with every single person present, lingering on the one holding Jacob.

“What purpose does a Demon have in this place?” Sigrdrífa questioned.

Usually she wouldn’t care for the reasons behind the appearance of her ilk anywhere however she was an exception. Monsters of her heritage and caliber appearing anywhere outside a Demon Realm is a prelude to an invasion or widespread corruption event, usually the kind that envelopes entire Kingdoms.

Talking would also buy enough time for the priestess to break the barrier long enough for her and the soldiers to make their escape.

The Demon’s eyes narrowed “don’t bother trying to disable my wards priestess, they are beyond you.”

‘But not beyond me’ Sigrdrífa wanted to retort however while she may possess the power to break the wards it would take time and consume energy both of which will be taken up by the Demon.

As for said Demon she cocked a hip and tapped her chin in thought “now what to do with all of you” once again her eyes raked across the forms of the men however this time she was not silent “Elias, Humphrey, Josias, Gerard…”

And so it went as the Demon addressed every single man present by name and familiarity. It drew reactions from each of them whether it be a flinch, a gasp, a sudden stiffness in posture, grim lines of determination and so on. It showed that this demon was no stranger to them and her next words only proved this.

“I’ve known each of you long enough that your being here was no desire of your own. You are simply honest men following the orders of an unfortunate…superior.”

“So I will give you one chance. I will allow you to leave unmolested and you will wait until I am through with these two interlopers. Afterwards I will make it so that this confrontation never happens and we will all go back to our lives as it were. What do you say commander?”

Sigrdrífa bristled at what she was witnessing. On the surface what could be construed as benevolence was actually a power play on the Demons part. Not only was she undermining Sigrdrífa’s authority (and by extension the Goddess) but she was also implying that she would be able to defeat her.  The worst part is that most of them seem to be considering her words instead of dismissing them outright as all loyal humans should.

The commander looked to her and she gave a very subtle inclination of her head. The silent message was received and his gaze returned to his men before addressing the Demon “we will do as you say Evelyn.”

Sigrdrífa forced a frown of disappointment on her face however internally she was relieved. The Demon unwittingly provided an escape for the men who would have been a burden on the Valkyrie’s conscience. Not to mention the possible hostage scenario.

Unfortunately her subordinate did not figure this out and so was quite more vocal than her superior

“You cowardly-”

Sigrdrífa cut her off immediately “Isobel, don’t

The Demon looked thoroughly amused by this “good man” and with a snap of her fingers a portal opened “that should take you outside, be a dear and wait for me. Oh, and do take of Jacob for me” he eyes glared at the Valkyrie and Priestess “I won’t be long.”

The men quickly obliged fearful that the Demon would rescind her generosity. Sigrdrífa watched them from the corner of her eye with her cohort sparing them a contemptuous glare. The Valkyrie frowned at the young priestess’ attitude, apparently she is need of more training.

As the commander gave her a nod and left Sigrdrífa’s attention was once more taken by the Demon addressing her.

“Tell me Valkyrie, that boy, what did you do to him?”

“I purged him of your corruptive influence Demon. The boy is no longer under your thrall.”

“I see” the Demon’s expression betrayed nothing and in a flash of infernal magic a longsword appeared in her hand, one that is surrounded by a red infernal aura and contained demonic inscriptions on the blade glowing a light violet.

‘A demonic weapon and powerful one as well’

Sigrdrífa subtly shifted in anticipation.

“Stay out of this Isobel, she is not your opponent.”

“U-understood” the priestess shakily replied no doubt feeling the pressure of the Demon’s power.

“Before we begin our duel I will have your name.”

For a moment Sigrdrífa considered revealing that much as such pleasantries would not even occur to her when dealing with these hellspawns. Sigrdrífa however was a warrior bound by a code of honor as well as duty and this not just a battle but a duel as the Demon just said.

“I am Sigrdrífa Demon and do well to remember it for it shall be the name of your executioner.”

“Sigrdrífa” the Demon repeated, as if tasting he words. Once satisfied she nodded to herself “you do well to remember my name Valkyrie for I am Eveleena Astaroth and you will rue the day you crossed paths with me!

As she spoke her body was briefly enveloped in a crimson red aura that reflected her rage. Both it and her words caused the Valkyrie to recoil briefly before her eyes too narrowed in resolve.

‘An Astaroth!’ she got into a stance and raised her lance pointing the tip towards the Demon.

“I will have your head!”

The weapon enchanted with the divine power of heaven briefly shone with holy light.

~O~

Sigrdrífa went on the offensive with several vicious probing thrusts Eveleena evaded with a graceful swiftness. A feint turned a thrust into a swipe that saw Eveleena dodge through an abrupt twist of her body. The action was graceful as it was unnatural, something impossible by human standards however the Demon was beyond most mortals. Though even then a few strands of her hair which were lost.

This time Eveleena went on the offensive and the battle began in earnest. Demonic crimson blade met holy silver lance in a clash of exchanges too quick and for Isobel’s eyes to comprehend. The only indication of the battle she could make out of their movements was the sparks set off by the constant rapid meeting of their blades. Though as the heated exchange carried on sparks weren’t the only things produced with violent shockwaves blasting about following the meeting of holy and demonic weapons.

Eveleena moved in closer using her sword to bat away several spear thrusts until at the last one she turned the movement into a spin, using the action to build momentum for a horizontal swing aimed at the Valkyrie’s head. Sigrdrífa deftly spun the lance with a jerk so the shaft would parry the offending blade upwards. Then in that same motion she twisted her body to perform an upward diagonal slash that would cut from hip to shoulder on the Demon.

Eveleena took to the air with a beat of her bat-like wings before the hit could find purchase, a wise decision as the ground where she stood developed a deep gouge several feet long. Two pairs of white feathered wings beat as Sigrdrífa took after the fleeing Demon, meeting her in the air with several *clangs* of enchanted steel. As two the drifted further away from the burning mansion in a bubble of sparks and magic the Demon on the defensive.

With a decisive downward swing to the Demon’s raised sword Sigrdrífa sent her opponent sailing down but despite this Eveleena landed weightlessly on the ground no doubt assisted by magic. A moment later saw her leaping away just as quickly before Sigrdrífa crashed into the space she once occupied. Once again her lance cut a chunk of the ground away but the Valkyrie was already gone before the dirt could even settle.

it causing the tree to explode into splinters. The Valkyrie chased after the floating Demon with a powerful thrust of her holy lance, however this too was blocked. Once again the Demon was sent flying back by the force and once again she touched down weightlessly on the ground and once again Sigrdrífa followed to press her attack. This time as Eveleena allowed the momentum of her opponent’s attack to carry her backwards she leveled a hand at the approaching Valkyrie. Infernal power flared in her palm before a bolt of red mana shot out faster than an arrow and many times more destructive.

For a very brief instant the Valkyrie’s eyes widened in shock before she swerved away from the projectile. As it exploded behind her Sigrdrífa landed in time to deflect another bolt with her lance, then another and another. Sigrdrífa’s teeth gritted as she was forced to once again deflect the magic missiles. It wasn’t just that the Demon’s attacks were fast and had unerring accuracy they were also numerous. Eveleena had casted the spell like an uninterrupted chain, one that would threaten even the Valkyrie should she make a single mistake.

Still even through this, she used each deflection and evasion to advance on the Demon, closing the gap and reducing the viability of continuing the spell. Eveleena’s expression was decidedly neutral as she watched the Valkyrie advance slowly through the barrage. With her right hand occupied with chain-casting the spell the other hand holding her sword shifted then the runes on the blade began to glow faintly. Though instead of an infernal red, the blade took on a corrosive purple hue.

Sigrdrífa, distracted as she was, realized what was about to happen immediately and halted her advance but before any further actions could be taken on her behalf Eveleena swung her crimson demonic blade in an upward diagonal arc and a massive wave of purple-black mana surged from the ground in a similar arc enveloping the Valkyrie’s body. The ensuing explosion sent a shockwave ripping through the air and shattering all the windows of the nearby mansion.

“Lady Sigrdrífa!”

Eveleena turned towards Isobel, the priestess having followed after them from the ground. The Demon smiled causing the young priestess to flinch and blanch.

“Oh don’t worry girl, the Valkyrie isn’t dead. In fact when she comes to I guarantee that she will be very agreeable with me or rather with us.”

With no small amount of fear and anger the Priestess yelled “burn!”

Eveleena glanced down to find a magic circle on the ground directly below her feet “ah…”

*BOOM*

A swirling vortex of fire manifested around the Demon’s body, ascending until it was a tower of blazing inferno. Isobel maintained the spell for a bit, adding a large chunk of her mana to ensure the Demon’s complete incineration. By the end she was panting, bent over with hands on her knees attempting to catch her breath.

“So I have you to thank for that fire consuming my home.”

Isobel shuddered at the amused voice coming from the blaze. In the next moment the demonic crimson blade swung through the magical flames and snuffed them out leaving the Demon standing unscathed. Isobel attempted another spell only to literally freeze in place, Eveleena was now standing right before her.

Eveleena tilted her head and flicked her finger. Isobel took a step back feeling the shoulder length curls of her amethyst hair on the sides of her face. Her abbot was gone the Demon literally flicked it off her head and she didn’t even notice until just then. In her defense it was very hard for Isobel to focus on anything right now. The pressure of her demonic mana was suffocating, taxing the holy enchantments adorned on her person.

And it just occurred to the priestess that she had the prettiest golden-yellow eyes.

“Well aren’t you charming~” the Demon purred “I think you have pretty eyes too~”

Di-did she say that out loud!?

Isobel felt like she could die from embarrassment right then!

An ugly mixture of embarrassment, shame and arousal started building up as Eveleena’s face moved in closer until their nose were practically touching. Smoldering golden eyes met dark blue eyes that got heavier with each passing moment.

“Hey” the seductress whispered “won’t you be mine?”

Isobel hesitated but for the life of her she couldn’t understand why, not in that moment. Just as she was about to answer she was tossed back, thrown away, discarded by the Demon. The slight feeling of shock, confusion and betrayal that surged was stamped out by the time she hit the ground several dozen feet away. Isobel got to her senses in time to see Eveleena, crimson sword ignited with red infernal mana blocking a pointed wave of shimmering holy power. She covered her ears at the screech that reverberated from the prolonged meeting

Eveleena’s legs buckled, her heeled boots crunched into the ground and her pretty face morphed into a snarl as, with a yell of effort, parried the golden wave of mana which actually turned out to be Sigrdrífa’s lance wreathed in holy energy. Unfortunately for Eveleena the action left her open to Sigrdrífa who swooped in like a bird of prey and tackled her away from the dazed human.

The Valkyrie flew the Demon across the plain into the forest behind the mansion. Sigrdrífa slammed her opponent into several trees but with their supernatural constitution enforced by various defensive spells and enchantments they cut through the strong wood like stone through glass. Once they arrived at a little clearing the Valkyrie threw the Demon harshly on the ground.

Eveleena grunted as her body bounced once, twice before she managed to orient herself to her feet. Unfortunately Eveleena got to her feet only to be hit by a gauntlet clad fist to her face.

“Gah!” the Demon stumbled back, the defensive enchantments on her person ensuring that the injury was reduced to brief disorientation. It was enough however as Sigrdrífa’s next action was to kick the sword out her hand and deliver a left cross to the other side of Eveleena’s face.

Eveleena lashed out with a spell only for it to be easily dodged and her hand grabbed to be used as leverage for her to be tossed over the shoulder. Eveleena’s back met the ground with enough force to create a crater and knock the wind out of her.

Sigrdrífa wasn’t done yet for the same hand she held was forced to her opponent’s neck while the other was pinned underneath a knee. In a golden flash a knife was summoned to the Valkyrie’s hand, the silver blade gleamed with holy magic. Eveleena’s eyes widened in fear, she knew that much like the lance the knife has enough power to bypass her defensive magic. Magical defenses offer more protection against mundane attacks and weaponry but in the face of either of their weapons it might has well be cloth.

Sigrdrífa brought down the enchanted holy blade at Eveleena’s chest.

*Crack*

Instead of plunging into the Demon’s heart the knife met a crimson glyph which cracked like glass at the force. It was a temporary measure of defense for the glyph was already close to shattering but it was enough for Eveleena’s gambit. From the corner of her eyes Sigrdrífa saw the Demon’s hand go through gestures and her instincts flared. She abruptly halted her attempt at skewering her opponent to fold her wings around her body. The action may have saved her life as the crimson sword suddenly flew up to contend with her hasty defense.

The sword would find no contention however as unlike armor that only has enchantments, an angel’s wings is the main source of their divinity. It along with their halo (lay unseen) provides a link to Heaven and affords them its protection directly. It would take more than a mere demonic sword to bypass this protection and so it bounced off the wings without inflicting so much as a scratch to the Valkyrie.

This was alright for the weapon provided the perfect distraction for a small red portal to open above the Valkyrie. From this portal several dark tentacles made of pure Dark Matter lashed out wrapping around the Valkyrie’s arms, legs and throat like. Then with a flex of her will Eveleena had her opponent yanked away from her.

Sigrdrífa struggled in mid air, her wings with feathers sharper than any mundane blade unfolded to cut apart the offending appendages. Eventually the Valkyrie would be free but in the meantime Eveleena has not been idle. The Demon, now on one knee spoke an incantation in a tongue unheard of, her mana igniting in preparation for a spell, something that her opponent was keenly aware of.

Before Sigrdrífa could completely free herself two blood red glyphs appear beneath and above her. In the next instant Sigrdrífa is struck by red infernal lightning. For a few moments the Valkyrie resists but it doesn’t take long for a scream to be ripped from her throat, one of rage, agony and ecstasy. It made Eveleena’s pouty lips curve into a smile that is as sadistic as it is salacious. The terrifyingly beautiful smile did not last however as her senses alerted her to danger for which she leapt away.

The action saved her from being impaled by Valkyrie’s holy lance. Once she landed Eveleena chuckled to herself bringing a lock of her hair behind her pointed ears.

“Not a bad attempt but if you though disrupting my concentration would end the spell I am afraid you are sorely mistaken”

Sigrdrífa gritted her teeth stifling the screams that may or may not have been mixed with pleasured moans. She glared hatefully at the Demon her face red with anger and embarrassment.

“That particular spell was creating by a Dark Elf Sorceress and made to replicate the lightning of a Thunderbird. She would cast it on her slaves and leave them to stew in agony and ecstasy until they became addicted to the pain and pleasure” the Demon ran her pink tongue over her lips “I wonder, how long will it take a Valkyrie to break~”

Eveleena expected a few things, either a forced retort, more furious glaring, futile attempts at resistance and perhaps some more screaming. What she didn’t expect was for the Valkyrie to grin at her. Even on her pretty face the grin Sigrdrífa gave her was all teeth, the kind of predatory vindictiveness she’d only ever seen on Hellhounds and Dragons.

It made her stomach drop.

*SHINE*

Before she could figure out what the Valkyrie was grinning about the lance sticking out of the ground nearby began to shine. This was unlike the before as this time the light was absolutely blinding. The holy energy ate away at her magical defenses so quickly that Eveleena had to pour the entirety of her mana reserves to erecting her strongest defensive barriers.

‘How is that thing generating so much holy power!?’

Those were her final thoughts before she, Sigrdrífa and the surrounding area were enveloped in a flash of golden light.

~O~

Sigrdrífa rested on her hands and knees panting, free from the confines of the Demon’s spell. Said spell was negated by the release of Heaven’s Light and practically healed all her physical wounds and soothed the worst of mental ones.

‘That was too close’ Sigrdrífa swallowed ‘had I not released the stored mana in the lance I would have been corrupted’

The thought galled her but more than that it filled her with shame.

‘To think I was caught in that Demon’s trap and rendered so helpless’

Her fingers clawed into a fist, digging into the ground as she expressed her frustrations in a snarl. Moments of heavy panting later and the Valkyrie managed to calm herself down to assess the situation. The holy light had not just negated the spell, it healed her physical wounds, soothed her mental anguish and purged the corruptive influence from her body. As she stood up she noted that it had also destroyed the barrier the Demon put in place.

“It’s over” she sighed in relief or she would have if not for the nagging feeling that something was amiss.

“AARGH”

Sigrdrífa’s gaze snapped to the side where she could hear the faint sounds of conflict just beyond the partially destroyed mansion. With a gesture she recalled her weapon and took off sprinting, feeling too drained to attempt flight at the moment. With the barrier gone she could now see the foot of the small hill upon which they were previously. The group of guards were being attacked by Eveleena.

The Demon’s current appearance was a far cry from her previous appearance. The holy light wreaked havoc on her corrupted body, covering it in burns and bruises, her hair was frazzled and exhaustion was clear to see. She attacked the men, not with skill and grace but with brute force and what was left of her raw power. Despite being in a severely weakened state Eveleena still made short work of the men, demonstrating the gap in power between them.

Give him to me!

The words made Sigrdrífa realize that the target of the Demon was the still unconscious boy currently being held by that same soldier.

“Get him out of here Josias” the commander yelled “the rest of you keep her away!”

With a warcry the soldiers converged on her and Eveleena let loose a roar that was downright inhuman as she charged into their ranks like a rampaging Minotaur. She swung her sword like a club, punched, kicked and snarled her way through the men. Valiant as their efforts were she eventually grew tired of them and with a wave of her faintly glowing hand summoned a windstorm that blew the remainder of them from her path.

Another spell created a wall of flames that stopped the soldier carrying the boy in his tracks. By this point Sigrdrífa was already running into the fray but they were too far away. The silver lining was that those two simple spells clearly winded the Demon who was looking even weaker than before.

She must have sensed her approach because she turned to look right at her before hurriedly making her way towards the boy and cowering guard. Before she could reach the boy however she was blasted away by a fireball.

It was Isobel, the priestess put out a section of the flame wall and yelled at the soldier to “go!”

Eveleena got to her knees, using the now visibly damaged crimson blade as a crutch before shakily getting to her feet. She swayed in a bout of vertigo as her vision grew blurry.

Once her vision cleared she found Isobel blocking her path “you will not take that child Demon” the Priestess declared before launching a fireball at her.

Eveleena gave a roar as she swung her sword downward to cut it in half “you think you know fire priestess?” she spat “let me show you real fire!”

Eveleena thrust her right palm out and swirling vortex of flames shot out. With barely any time to dodge Isobel could only summon a shield and hope for the best. Fortunately for the priestess before the flames could engulf her Sigrdrífa literally dropped from the sky and shielded them both with her wings.

The Valkyrie gritted her teeth, sweat built up on her brow and she could feel Isobel lending assistance via her own magical shield.

“Burn in hellfire!” Eveleena screamed hoarsely, any semblance of civility long gone.

In response Sigrdrífa spun her lance, reared her hand back and launched it in the direction of the Demon’s voice. The holy weapon shot through the flames like a speeding arrow until

*Squelch*

The spell was suddenly cut off, the flames disappeared and Sigrdrífa lowered her singed wings to see the results of her action. Both Valkyrie and priestess beheld Eveleena, hand stretched out and trembling along with the rest of her body. The Demon sported a look of disbelief as she looked down to behold the lance sticking out of her chest. Her outstretched hand dropped bonelessely and the Demon swayed in place, stumbled back and finally fell to her knees.

She coughed out blood in the next instant.

Behind her Isobel too fell to her knees, however Sigrdrífa didn’t spare her a glance as she made way towards her defeated foe. Eveleena had shakily reached a hand to the shaft of the weapon when Sigrdrífa made it before her. The Demon met her gaze with silent defiance and rage. Sigrdrífa grabbed the long shaft of the holy weapon, her expression neutral.

“I told you I would be your executioner Demon” she adjusted the shaft upwards and Eveleena groaned in pain as the blade sliced further into her chest.

“Yo…u…y…ou…you…” the demon muttered.

Disregarding her words Sigrdrífa pulled her weapon but found that she was not able to pry it from the Demon’s grip.

The Valkyrie’s face pinched “what?”

Eveleena snarled “you should have gone for the head.”

In the Demon raised her sword in a reverse grip, the runes nice more lighting up in a brilliant miasmic purple before she plunged it into the ground. Sigrdrífa instinctively pulled away with assistance from her wings and yanking the lance out of Eveleena’s chest.

“Argh!” the Demon screamed as blood spurted from the wound.

Sigrdrífa kept a long distance away as she witnessed a black magic circle appear under the Demon clutching. Sigrdrífa went to stop whatever was happening and finish off the injured Demon only to freeze in her tracks as an indescribable feeing welled up within her. Magic circles for teleporting long distance have tend to connect to the area where they are going before transporting the castor to it and in that moment Sigrdrífa felt the place where Eveleena was being transported to, a Demon Realm.

Not just any Demon Realm but one that is filled with such corruption that it is able to leak through the magic circle itself and corrupt the very ground the circle was laid on. Like ink spilled on a piece of paper the grass beneath Eveleena’s form became dyed in purple-black. Sigrdrífa could not get close and even if she dared the Demon was enveloped in a protective barrier.

Would she risk corruption or worse being teleported alongside the Demon to wherever unholy hellscape she planned to retreat to?

The Valkyrie clicked her tongue as she straightened up. No she would not.

Eveleena glared at the Valkyrie for a moment as she began to disappear however at the last moment her eyes drifted away then in a flash she was gone. It might have just been her imagination but Sigrdrífa could have sworn her expression turned melancholic for a moment.

The Valkyrie blew out a breath and frowned walking towards the corrupted spot. With a stab of her lance she used holy magic to purge the area. With that don Sigrdrífa turned back towards the priestess and gathered Everguard soldiers. She exchanged grim looks with the commander, they both had questions for the other and a private meeting is to be expected.

The coming days were going to be difficult to say the least.

~To Be Continued~

Author's Notes: Updates every Wednesday but if you can't wait get up to four chapters in advance on my Patreon at: www.Patreon.com/Streggaeworks

8