Return Of The Matriarch
89 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Despite her grievances with her defeat at the hands of that Valkyrie, her perpetual worry about Jacob and general dissatisfaction with her current state of affairs Eveleena couldn’t say that it wasn’t nice spending time with her siblings. Eveleena had a great relationship with her family even past their annoying quirks and nosey tendencies. The only reason why they don’t meet regularly was because of personal obligations. Their parents were and always will be busy running a massive demonic empire and had only small pockets to truly relax hence the reason why even after her near death, subsequent hospitalization and recovery she hasn’t heard hide nor hair of them.

Her siblings could have more frequent meetings but their situation had less to do with scheduling time and more to do with tolerance and pride. Eveleena had a great relationship with her family but could only stand being around them in certain situations and for a certain amount of time. Each daughter was grown with the thought that they were born to achieve greatness. What this meant was dependent on the individual but growing up in such an environment they were selfish, competitive and entitled.

They were each apex predators and absolutely loathed the idea of being subordinate to another. They could not be in the same place for long without asserting dominance in some way. It’s not all bad all the time, in fact they made it a game amongst siblings trying to one up each other. But it’s all fun and games until a line is crossed, feelings are hurt, egos clash and relationships are ruined. Arguments are frequent in their relationship but nothing inconsolable and the three are very self aware of themselves not to needlessly provoke each other.

It also helped that their parents encourage them to go out on their own to seek personal glory. On the surface they do this as a means of spreading the influence/power of the family but just as well spending time apart made for an excellent means of preserving their relationship. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that but after almost a week of spending time with her sisters Eveleena was about ready to strangle them.

She was effectively trapped in a no-win situation being interrogated on two fronts about the new man in her life, three if she counted Vhaara which she absolutely did for she is an absolute gossip of a maid. Talks of romance, men and contractors always brought out those aforementioned terrible quirks out of her sisters. Eveleena could only endure the endless teasing, intrusive questions and terrible romantic advice for so long before she started plotting out elaborate murders.

And the worst part is she was powerless to stop it! At least it wasn’t for very long as the last vestiges of holy power was flushed out Eveleena was given an IV drip of pure dark matter to corrupt her system and bring her back to full health. The process was supposed to take some time with several bags of dark matter and constant surveillance by the doctor to give her clean bill of health. Eveleena only went through a single bag and managed to negotiate (read: threaten) the doctor enough to hesitantly give the go ahead for her to be able to take the treatment at her estate.

So it was with no small amount of relief that she prepared to leave her family home however before she could make it her exit was barred by a certain Shoggoth maid.

“Vhaara, what is the meaning of this?”

“I am afraid I cannot allow you to leave lady Eveleena” Vhaara the Shoggoth maid informed.

Eveleena was absolutely tired of this nonsense “by whose authority, Sarsea?”

Speaking of she has not seen any of her siblings for quite some time now. Sarsea she expected to be indisposed since she was effectively put in charge of the entire country for the time being but Aezaris was a surprise. Her younger sister seemed to make it her mission to pester her incessantly all day every day. Regardless with both of them absent and her strength back up to where she can move and perform low to mid level spells Eveleena figured it was the perfect time to make her escape-er take her leave.

“By the authority of Mistress Ariesarah.”

Eveleena felt her stomach drop “mother?”

“Yes, the master and mistress have concluded their business in the Royal Makai and are on their way home. I have been relayed instructions to keep you, your sisters and your servants here until their return.”

For a moment Eveleena weighed her options. She could certainly try to mount a breakout consequences be damned but the thought left as soon as it came. There is little to no chance she could escape from the Shoggoth especially in her current state.

“I see and where are Ysmeina and the others?”

“Miss Riseth left to acquire materials for construction of a new magic staff. Lady Ysmeina and miss Roselyn are currently in the training rooms.”

“Again?”

“They have hardly ever left” Vhaara smiled “lady Sarsea is keeping them company.”

Eveleena almost sighed “take me to them.”

~O~

Roselyn always knew she wasn’t the strongest or most skilled warrior among her mistress’ servants. That by no means implied she was useless in a fight because even if she was weak it was only comparatively so. Her competition the other servants were all older, wiser, more experienced and have actively committed to honing their skills. Roselyn was the outlier here, unlike everyone else she wasn’t chosen by the matriarch as a servant, she knew Eveleena the least and if she was being honest had not truly committed herself to her.

Before now it didn’t matter and Roselyn wasn’t the type of person to get hung up on stuff like that so it never really bothered her. Of course she still trained often and diligently to keep up with the others but it wasn’t something that she felt the need to commit to. Then she got tossed on her ass by the Valkyrie.

It wasn’t even the contemptible ease with which she was defeated by since according to everyone else they all got downed in a similar fashion it was the fact that of all of them she was the only one who got taken out in a non lethal fashion. Riseth almost got bisected, Ysmeina got beheaded and Caitlin almost got strangled to death. As for Roselyn she got knocked out by a bonk to the head. She got off easy as if the Valkyrie found her unworthy to be killed and that lit a fire in her belly.

So here she was in the Astaroth castle’s training grounds with Ysmeina. They were the only two of Eveleena’s servants present in the castle since Riseth went off to secure a new staff somewhere. Roselyn had thrown herself into training since the first day of their arrival which for some reason shocked the others. Roselyn didn’t get why this was surprising considering everyone else felt the same way she had about their defeat. It wasn’t even the defeat itself but the fact that their failure may result in Jacob becoming their enemy.

None of them may share the same connection with the boy that Eveleena had but she was not the only one who felt the thought of him growing up to become their hated enemy was just wrong. Now they have a small window with which to save him and they will.

“You are distracted” a smooth voice cut in before Roselyn found herself blocking against blade strikes to her person. At least she was attempting to but the attacks came in fast and strong with a precision that spoke volumes of the one delivering them considering they were hardly giving it their all.

Luckily salvation for the Dhampir came in the form of a familiar spear. Ysmeina entered the fray the woman would have been Roselyn’s opponent however now she too was acting as her partner against their shared opponent.

“Excellent interception” spoke said opponent as she adjusted to accommodate Ysmeina’s weapon against her.

Ysmeina said nothing as she took the lead in their exchange or rather she was allowed to by their opponent who was none other than their mistress’ older sister Sarsea Astaroth. Admittedly Roselyn has never had any prolonged interactions with the Demon. In fact she barely knew anything at all about her save for the fact that she was a very powerful high class Demon and renowned general who was put in charge of leading the Astaroth family’s personal army.

Apparently the Demon was impressed by Roselyn and Ysmeina’s drive to improve and offered her aid in this endeavor. To that she summoned her weapon of choice which was an elegant looking white single edge saber with a slight curve as long as she was tall. It looked unwieldy to Roselyn however the Demon proved her wrong moments later with fast, precise and elegant slashes, sweeps and thrusts that had such power behind them Roselyn could feel the impact of each block through her very bones.

In response to the Dullahan’s powerful yet precise swings smoothly parried and block them with ease. Roselyn re-entered the fight a moment later working in tandem with her superior as support and managing to drive their opponent back a whole single step. Roselyn did not hold any delusions that the two of them were placing their opponent in any kind of pressure whatsoever.

She was proven correct in her assessment when with a single hum their opponent decided to switch to offensive tactics and in response her saber blurred. Despite being a single opponent holding a single sword by a single hand whilst remaining stationary it was as if Roselyn and Ysmeina were fighting two opponents!

‘How is she doing that!?’ the Dhampir internally screamed now on the back foot.

The grunt from Ysmeina spoke volumes of just how pressured they were right now. And that pressure mounted as the literal Demon started taking steps forward. It was less of a tactical advance and more as if she was taking a leisurely stroll. Every swing moved faster than eye could track, each connect felt heavier than the last and Roselyn knew that eventually it will be too much for her to feasibly handle so she decided to act before it was too late.

In the split second Ysmeina had her attention Roselyn darted to the side the attack her flank. She pushed her body to the limit in achieving this speed and swung her longsword with precision at the Demon’s seemingly unprotected flank.

Only to be met with “nice initiative” and instead of hitting her side the Demon had smoothly maneuvered her body and weapon so that Roselyn’s sword impacted the guard hilt. At the same time the saber blade was also blocking Ysmeina’s spear.

For a long moment the three maintained that stalemate with Roselyn and Ysmeina trying in vain to push back Sarsea while the Demon stood there with one hand behind her back not even budging from their combined effort.

Suddenly the Demon pushed them back with a sweep of her arm and de-summoned her weapon “it seems we are out of time.”

“What?” panted Roselyn as she wiped the sweat from her forehead.

“Mistress” greeted the Dullahan out of nowhere causing Roselyn to quickly notice that Eveleena was now standing to the side with the creepy maid behind her.

Eveleena glanced at the three occupants of the room with a frown “what is going on here?”

“I was assisting your servants with their training” Sarsea answered as she stepped forward.

“Is that so?”

“They were so spirited I simply had to meddle. ”

“I see” there seemed to be a silent conversation taking place between them in the interim “and what do you make of them?”

“Ysmeina has excellent form and instincts as expected” Sarsea commented “the Dhampir can use more training and experience however” and to this Roselyn found herself pinned by golden yellow eyes “humans may find her above their weight class but for trained Mamono she is average at best.”

Roselyn felt her teeth grit and the grip on her sword tighten at the older Demon’s words.

Eveleena on the other hand rolled her eyes and directed her attention to her servants “clean yourselves up and put a stop any more training for the day. Mother and father will be arriving shortly.”

That announcement knocked the self loathing thoughts out of Roselyn’s head as Ysmeina spoke “the Master and Mistress are coming.”

“That is what I said, yes” Eveleena drawled before making a shooing motion “make yourselves look presentable, Vhaara will assist you.”

Roselyn fought back the cringe at that something that had not gone unnoticed by the maid in question as her sickly yellow eyes landed on the Dhampir and her smile widened by a noticeable fraction.

“If the ladies would follow me~” she sang.

Ysmeina did just that with Roselyn trailing behind making sure to keep the Dullahan between her and the slime maid.

~O~

With her servants gone Eveleena turned a glare to her sibling “was that necessary?”

“If she is to be part of your honor guard then she needs to step up” the Demon sighed “honestly I have no reason why you coddle her.”

“Roselyn is a friend.”

“And make no mistake I am happy that you managed to befriend someone outside the sphere of our family’s influence but there is propriety to be maintained.”

“Regardless it is none of your business Sarsea.”

Sarsea met Eveleena’s glare with blank expression before shrugging “so be it, I will wash my hands of this but I cannot say mother and father will be so mollified.”

“Speaking of whom did you know they would be returning today?”

“Of course not I would have warned you otherwise” Sarsea huffed before her expression turned concerned “I can only assume that my informants have been compromised.”

Eveleena made a face ‘is this what it has come to? Using spies to keep tabs on our parents.’

The answer was a resounding yes and for good reason but none of that mattered now.

‘This is fine. I’ve recovered enough to be presentable, I can adapt.’

“Where is Aezaris? I can’t imagine she took the news well.”

“She tried to escape the moment she heard mother was coming.”

“Shocking” was her dull answer “how far did she get?”

“The courtyard.”

“Impressive, will you also be making an escape attempt?”

Translation: please don’t let me face her alone.

“My duty as acting steward is relieved only after mother returns and assumes control.”

Translation: I won’t abandon you.

“Of course” she nodded.

Translation: thank you.

~O~

Eveleena heard more than she saw her mother’s arrival via a royal procession as it was followed by loud cheering that could be heard from the castle that was far removed from where the main city’s gates were.

“Is it always like this when they come back from an outing?”

The one to ask the question was Roselyn whom Eveleena had to do some last minute coaching in order to prepare her for the meeting ahead. This will be the Dhampir’s first meeting with her parents and Eveleena wanted her to make as good an impression as possible. This was why instead of her usual clothing she was given a set of light ceremonial armor with the Astaroth insignia emblazoned on her breast.

“More or less yeah” answered Riseth who has returned with a new staff that was identical to the one she had before. She too was wearing a ceremonial version of her usual robes.

“Mistress Ariesarah and Master Perceval are very popular amongst the citizens.”

“Wow~”

‘That’s an understatement’ Eveleena thought.

Ariesarah and Perceval Astaroth are borderline worshipped by the denizens of their territories and for good reason. Under the couple’s rule the citizens have experienced centuries of uninterrupted peace and progression. Having grown up witnessing this spectacle many times one would think it became a chore to see her younger sibling certainly thought so.

“Ugh, why do they have to go through this every time?”

“It’s unfair to say that mother and father plan this whole affair Aezaris” Sarsea commented.

“Yeah, but it’s not like they have to go along with it!”

“If you don’t understand the reason why they do then you don’t understand what it means to rule” Eveleena cut in.

As Eveleena watched the spectacle taking place she could not help but imagine herself in her mother’s place with an older Jacob by her side. Eveleena would never admit to anyone but she was jealous of her mother and why wouldn’t she? The woman was living every Demon’s dream being the matriarch of one of the most affluent demonic houses, achieving the vaunted status of Arch-Demon, having a loving husband to share her success with and veritable legion of adoring subjects numbering in the hundreds of thousands spread across her territories.

The power, the authority, the adoration Eveleena wanted it, craved it and by the gods someday she will have it.

“Magnificent is it not?”

The voice caused most present to jump and turn around to find two individuals who were most certainly not there before.

“M-mother? Father!?” Aezaris exclaimed in shock.

Ariesarah and Perceval looked to their youngest with clear amusement in their eyes. Eveleena took a moment to give them a once over they looked exactly the same as they did when she last saw them. Heck they haven’t aged a day since she was born and yet she couldn’t help but feel the difference all the same.

Her father Perceval Astaroth was a tall regal man with sandy blonde hair and red eyes that faintly glowed with the power of demonic energy. His attire consisted of dark trousers tucked into shin length boots, a long sleeved black coat with red accents and black gloves. Around his shoulder was a black cape with the inner linings a bright scarlet red. Emblazoned on his coat and gloves was the Astaroth family crest.

His wife the current Astaroth Matriarch shared was a mature Demon seeming to be in her middle ages by human standards. Unlike the typical Demon however her hair was a stark silver-white which she styled in an elaborate bun with curls framing her face. She wore an obsidian asymmetrical dress that clung to her skin like oil giving an unabashed view of her curves and left a lot of her skin exposed. Along parts of her exposed leg, arm and chest were runes that glow a dull red. Finally she wore expensive jewelry in the form of earrings, a necklace and a ring each of them featuring a red enchanted jewel.

After a moment of stunned silence Ariesarah cocked a hip and gave the assembled a disappointed look “now is this any way to greet us after so long?”

“But…you…” the young Demon stuttered out looking between her parents here and the ones in the procession greeting their citizens with smiles and waves.

She wasn’t the only as Roselyn was just as caught off guard by their sudden appearance. The rest had more or less recovered or just as likely hid their surprise with professionalism.

Sarsea stepped forward “apologies mother we simply thought you would have indulged the citizens in their festivities for a little longer still.”

“And postpone our long awaited reunion even more?” the Arch-Demon scoffed before shifting her gaze to Eveleena “especially considering the circumstances.”

Eveleena felt herself stiffen as the elder Demon approached “m-mother I-”

Whatever she was about to say was interrupted when Ariesarah pulled her into a hug and whispered in her ear “I am happy to see you safe and healthy Eveleena” pulling away she cupped her daughter’s face “I promise you I will personally see the one responsible for this dealt with.”

Eveleena swallowed at the declaration.

“Now” the matriarch continued “with all of us gathered I feel a celebration is in order don’t you?” Her husband agreed with a nod and she turned to the maid “Vhaara prepare a feast. Tonight we celebrate Eveleena’s recovery and return.”

“Yes mistress.”

“As a matter of fact let’s make it a party!” the Archdemon exclaimed “and invite all the nobles to attend.”

That got a few of the gathered to flinch at the sudden decision. Eveleena looked to her older sister pleadingly.

Sarsea coughed in her fist “mother perhaps that is a bit…much?”

“Nonsense” the matriarch waved away “how long has it been since you were all here at once? Too long in my opinion-Oh!” she snapped her finger “invite your husband! He can provide the entertainment for the guests!”

For the first time since Eveleena woke Sarsea’s carefully controlled façade cracked with a brief flash of panic.

“T-that is not- m-my husband is seeing to other affairs.”

“Really? To my understanding he spends most of his time as your private serenade~” she smirked while raising an eyebrow suggestively.

Despite her anxiousness Eveleena could not quite help but feel the mirth when her older sister’s cheeks turned red at her words.

“Mother!”

The Arch-Demon only laughed at her daughter’s embarrassment.

Beside her Eveleena heard Roselyn speak up “what is happening right now?”

“An Astaroth family reunion” was Riseth’s succinct answer.

Unfortunately for them their byplay ended up attracting the attention of the matriarch.

“And you must be Roselyn.”

The Dhampir stood ramrod straight “u-um it’s nice to meet you miss.”

“It’s nice to see Eveleena is capable of converting commoners unaffiliated with our family into servants.”

The smile on Roselyn’s face froze.

“Though” she tapped a red painted finger claw to her chin as she looked at the Dhampir in a considering manner “though clearly your training is incomplete.”

“Mother Roselyn is not-”

“I understand” the matriarch cut off “your relationship with her is a bit different. Call her whatever you like dear: friend, servant, lover it makes no difference to me” her expression turned serious “but keep in mind she is your retainer all the same and is meant to be at your service. If she cannot pull her own weight then what is the point of-”

*Tap*

A hand on her shoulder caused her to stop and turn to her husband “dear?”

“That’s enough” the deep baritone voice of Perceval carried with it a kind of power and authority that was distinct from his wife.

Ariesarah frowned “enough? I was just.”

“You are troubling our daughter”

The matriarch paused and looked to Eveleena who was trying and failing to hide her disgruntlement.

“Oh” realizing the mood had gone down she switched gears “fine then. The party”

“No.”

“No?”

“No parties, no announcements, no politics” he began “frankly after months in the Royal Makai wining, dining and watching you string along the rest of high society I have had enough of such things.”

“Dear husband are you objecting to my wishes.”

“Yes” he answered without fear.

For a long moment husband and wife stared down each other. The tension grew with each passing second until…

“But I wanted to celebrate~” Ariesarah whined with a pout.

Roselyn gaped at the childish action that seemed fit more for their youngest daughter than a matriarch of one of the most powerful demonic houses in the world.

“I know” he answered wrapping his arms around her waist “but I believe our daughters will agree to having a small family get together rather than some grand celebration.”

A single stiff nod, a shout of “Yes!” and a calm reply of “I agree with father” were the answers given from Eveleena, Aezaris and Sarsea respectively.

Faced with such opposition plus having her husband’s arms wrapped around her the matriarch could let out an explosive sigh very well I will contend with a small family gathering. I still want Alessandro here Sarsea. He is family after all.”

“It will take some time to arrange his escort.”

“Just use your return stone” the matriarch interjected “you have been so liberal with its use as of late and I am not just referring to your most recent usage either.”

Sarsea shuffled uneasily under her mother’s gaze. Luckily she was saved by her father’s intervention.

“Honey, the stones were made to be used-”

“The rates those Sabbath Witches charge for re-enchanting those things are outrageous. I swear they want to bleed our family dry!”

“I understand” he soothed before immediately and deliberately changing subjects “I think we are long overdue for a break.”

And if that wasn’t suggestive enough his hand reached down to brush the base of her tail. It caused the matriarch’s eyes to widen before a adopting a sultry expression.

“Oh darling~”

“Oh god” someone audibly grumbled.

No one could point out who said it but most were definitely thinking it.

“Vhaara.”

“Yes mistress?”

“Postpone the feast” she pressed her body up to her husband

“For how long?”

“A day should suffi-”

“Two days” Perceval interjected smoothly while pulling her body closer causing his wife to grin while her tail wrapped around his waist.

“The rest of you are free to do as you wish but I expect everyone to be here for our family gathering. All of you

That last bit was directed at Sarsea who could only nod in resignation “understood mother.”

And in a brief flash of light the two were gone. The three siblings shared a look with each other filled with uncertainty, resignation and determination before dispersing. Once they were far enough Roselyn broke the silence that had fallen over them.

“Well, that happened.”

“You can say that again” Riseth grumbled.

“We’re leaving” Eveleena spoke up “Riseth?”

“Teleportation spell is primed and ready to be casted.”

Eveleena already put everything she may have needed in her personal dimension and so with one last look to her childhood home she gave the order.

“Get us out of here.”

~To Be Continued~

Author's Notes: Yes I know it's late, I've been stalling publishing this chapter because I'm still working on advance ones and haven't been able to finish. Unfortunately my creative drive for this story has been unevenly distributed amongst my other stories and even some unpublished side projects because I am writing way more for them than this one. I have about one more advance chapter written on my Patreon that I'll just publish on Saturday. If I gave written more by then cool, if not then I'll publish it when I finish. I won't rush this story especially since I am close to the end of this first volume.

7