Chapter 8 – Meeting Dudley
278 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Here we have exhibit number 8. Please read carefully and send in some reviews. This museum thrives on it.

“Harry, tell me honestly,” started Jacob. “are those people abusing you?”

“I... suppose they are,” replied Harry after a long pause. “Though it’s been going on for so long that I don’t even think too much about it anymore.”

Jacob clenched his fist as he asked, “What have they done to you, if you don’t mind me asking?”

“This really isn’t a very pleasant topic, Jacob,” replied Harry with a wry smile.

“Indulge me, please,” came Jacob’s stern voice.

Harry sighed as he prepared himself for the conversation to come. He could see clearly that Jacob was upset. What made him happy, though, was the fact that Jacob was upset for Harry, instead of at him, as was the norm during his summers.

“Well, I suppose the first thing I should mention is the fact that my surrogate family really hates magic and all mention of it. Where to the world at large, they’re a happy family of three, rather than a family of four with one ‘odd’ one,” said Harry, a helpless smile on his face.

Jacob’s clenched fist clenched slightly harder.

“Well, I suppose other than the three members of my surrogate family, the only other person who I know of, who knows about me, would be my uncle’s sister. Though to her, I’m the son of my aunt’s hated sister and equally worthless brother-in-law, who’s been sent off to St Brutus’s Secure Centre for Incurably Criminal Boys.”

“Those little- “ began Jacob, his face already red, and he looked about ready to get up and march over to Harry’s uncle and aunt’s place.

With a wry smile, Harry continued, “Other than that, I’d really not get into all the minor details or we’d be here all day and still not be done. Though things became considerably better after my third year, when my parents learned about my godfather.”

Harry’s grin made Jacob’s expression ease up a little. “Who’s your godfather? Why would he frighten your non-magic family?”

“If you’re abreast with magical world news, then you might have heard his name,” said Harry, “Sirius Black.”

Jacob’s eyes widened as he stood up abruptly. “What!”

Jacob stared at Harry for several moments before he settled down in his seat before he asked, “Isn’t he a wanted criminal, not to mention violent killer?”

“Well, he’s not the most pleasant, having spent so long in Azkaban, but all those charges against him were false. The person everyone claims he killed, Peter Pettigrew, framed him,” said Harry, a vindictive light flashing in his eyes.

“Pettigrew was the one who betrayed my parents, leading to their death, and he framed Sirius when my godfather confronted him and faked his own death by blowing the entire street up. He cut one of his fingers off and ended up killing a bunch of muggles for good measure.”

Jacob whistled lightly, “now that, I did not expect. So there’s a lot more to the wizard world than whatever your papers claim, eh?”

“Pretty much. So when I told my aunt and uncle about my godfather, him being a violent criminal and having already escaped Azkaban, not to mention he’s fiercely protective of me, they started keeping their distance from me,” grinned Harry.

“And the fact that he’s actually innocent?” Asked Jacob.

“I might have forgotten to mention that,” laughed Harry.

Just as he said that, Lily and her aunt walked out of the kitchen. Ava wiping her hands on her apron.

“What did you forget to mention?” Ava asked curiously.

“Long story. I’ll tell you later,” said Jacob.

“Alright then, time for breakfast. Head on over to the kitchen please,” Ava said, her perpetual gentle smile on her face.

The group headed into the kitchen where a round table was set in the center, with four chairs placed around it. There was an assortment of food on the table, toast, a variety of cheese, ham, eggs, and quite a few more items. If Harry didn’t know for a fact that Lily’s aunt and uncle had no magic in them, he would have suspected Ava cooked the spread with magic like Mrs. Weasley.

The current situation had him more amazed though, considering she cooked all of this without the help of any magic and alone to boot.

“That sure is a lot of food!” commented Jacob. “who’re you trying to impress here, me or Harry?”

“Oh har har. Now settle down and eat your food,” chided Ava.

Harry chuckled at their banter as he sat down at the table next to Lily. Lily beamed at him. “seems like you got along well with my uncle.”

Harry grinned at that. He just nodded with a cheerful smile.

“On that note, Harry,” started Jacob, “I want you to come live with us for the rest of the summer.”

Just as Harry brought his fork up to his mouth, Jacob dropped that bomb. Harry gaped open-mouthed at Lily’s uncle. Lily, meanwhile, sat stunned for but a moment before a happy squeal escaped.

She grabbed onto Harry’s arm. “Yes! Definitely! That’d be great!”

“What brought this on?” Asked Ava, quizzically, “not that I mind of course. You’re always welcome here, Harry.”

Seeing Jacob’s intense gaze and Ava’s gentle smile, Harry fumbled with his words for several moments before he finally found the right words.

“I can’t! I already feel bad having troubled you guys so much yesterday and today. Rest of the summer might be a bit much!”

“What! Don’t be stupid!” Yelled Lily, “You have to stay!”

“Nonsense.” Jacob waved at Harry dismissively. “there’s no way I’ll let you stay in that abusive household any longer. You’re moving in here bright and early tomorrow. I assume you’ll need the day to pack your stuff.”

“Uncle’s right! You have to, Harry. It’s for your own good.” Lily exclaimed from the side. Her grin grew wider and wider by the minute. Though her grin was dripping with smugness, Harry couldn’t help but think, ‘cute.’

Harry glanced gratefully at the family in front of him. He opened his mouth several times, tried to form words, failed and finally settled for the simplest way he could express his feelings.

“Thank you.”

Lily blushed lightly with a cheery grin on her face while her aunt and uncle smiled gently at Harry’s heartfelt gratitude.

“Now finish up your breakfast and go get your luggage packed up as soon as you can,” said Ava. “Would you like Jacob to come pick you up? I assume your luggage would be like Lily’s large, bulky trunk.”

“It’ll be fine, Ava, thank you. It really isn’t that heavy and their house is quite close by, so I’ll be able to manage easily.”

Lily perked up at that. “I’ll help him out. If the both of us pack together, we can be done in half the time after all, and Harry can move in today itself.”

Her innocent, gleeful smile brightened Harry’s already bright day.

After breakfast, Harry bid Ava and Jacob goodbye and set off with Lily in tow. Lily practically skipped till they had crossed a street over. Her excitement finally settled down slightly, though her cheerful grin still didn’t leave her.

As they neared the street with the Dursleys house on it, chatting happily, Harry came face to face with someone he would have rather not met.

“Mom is going to be so mad!” Snickered Dudley, his fat jiggling with his movement, “So. This is why you didn’t come home last night? Cheating on your boyfriend, Cedric, already?”

Lily took a slight step back, Dudley’s hostility and ridicule causing her to adopt a baffled expression.

“What the hell are you talking about, Dudley?” Barked Harry.

“I heard you through the walls, you know? ‘Don’t kill Cedric! Don’t kill Cedric!’ Isn’t that your boyfriend?” Laughed Dudley.

“Shut up, you tub of lard. Before I make you!” growled Harry.

“Oh? What’re you going to do? Get your boyfriend to beat me up? Or this tramp here?”

Incensed, Harry grabbed his wand from his pocket. Pointing it at Dudley with a vicious smile.

“I’ve been having a horrible summer so far, you fucking fat-ass. I think it’s about time I blew some steam by beating the crap out of you,” said Harry. “What better way to do that than mess with you with the very thing you’re so terrified of?”

Lily, having recovered, walked to Harry’s side and glared at Dudley.

“So this is that cousin of yours… your description did no justice, Harry. He’s not just part pig, he’s just a walking pile of pork.”

She scoffed at Dudley before she continued, “you’re lucky I don’t have my wand on me or you would have two angry magic folk ready to curse you three ways to Sunday!”

Dudley yelped and backed away as fast as his fat feet could take him.

“Y-you can’t use ma-magic- “ stuttered Dudley, “Mom said you’re not allowed to.”

“Well, guess what, fatso?” Sneered Harry, “I don’t care.”

Overcome with fear, Dudley scrambled back. Tripped over his own feet and tumbled onto his fat ass.

Harry was about to close in on him and at least throw a punch at his face when he felt an odd, yet familiar, chill.

All the lights seemed to go out. The stars, the moon and even the streetlamps. It was as if the entire world had been plunged into darkness.

Harry immediately froze up for a moment before he turned towards Lily. Though he couldn’t see anything, he recalled where she was.

“Lumos,” said Harry, pointing his wand towards where Lily was standing.

“Lily, did you feel that- “ Harry asked, but to his horror, he saw Lily crouching on the ground, her hands covering her head, mumbling something fervently. Listening closely, Harry could somewhat make out what she was saying.

“Please… don’t hurt… anymore… No more, please…” she kept stuttering and repeating repeatedly.

Harry was about to check on her when the cold became even stronger and he instinctively turned his head back towards Dudley. Pointing his wand at him, Harry saw a scene that froze him down to his marrow.

Approaching from the other end of the street was the very incarnation of fear.

Gliding towards them, silent as could be, were two dementors.

13