Chapter 10: The Ash Pirates
126 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I sat across from Crow, still in my werewolf state. The cup of green tea he passed to me, spun itself around the edges of the cup. I gripped it while watching his movements. Crow would blow on the cup, mechanical in his movement, before taking a slight sip from his cup. 

"I'm not sure if you're a pirate yourself, but have you ever thought about why one becomes a pirate? It's a high risk profession, something a rational man should avoid," Crow said. He placed his cup down, and grabbed a scoop of sugar from a holder in the middle of the table. He dumped it in, and stuck a tiny spoon inside to stir it around, before continuing to speak.

"Most do it for money I would assume, but me personally, the freedom of the sea called to me. I chose my own path, one that nobody can take from me. My path is no longer as clear now, but once it was clear. The older I get, the more this freedom feels akin to slavery. I'm shackled to the mast in a growing storm, when all I want is to come ashore."

His face grew into a frown as he spoke, but I continued to remain silent. I'm worried about the plan, but I can't just leave. I prayed for Pedro, while listening and watching attentively to Crow. 

"When I was just a young man with nothing to my name, I left my village and joined up with a pirate crew. The Ash Pirates, we called ourselves. We sailed the west blue and into the grand line making a name for ourselves. We took what we wanted, went wherever we wanted, and didn't let anyone stand in our way. It was fun for a time, sailing the unknown. One day Captain told us that we would need to stay on Grecko island for 6 months while the log pose adjusted. Grecko is an island on the grand line where it's always springtime and the inhabitants are friendly. After years of being chased by the navy, we were all fine with resting up. I got badly injured the last fight we had, so I needed time to recuperate. On the island, a doctor named Chisa took care of me. She was a little older than me and quite easily the kindest person I had ever met. She helped me with everything while I was there. She would even cook for some of us on the crew while we stayed on the island. Time passed and I fell in love with her. I asked her to marry me but she said she would never marry a pirate. I yearned for her and promised I would come back, and marry her when I had made enough belly. The truth was that I loved the freedom the sea brought more."

He picked the kettle and poured another glass of green tea. 

"Those months were blissful, but before long we were back out on the sea, doing what pirates do. I had never thought about retirement, but after spending time on Grecko, I thought about it deeply. I wanted nothing more but to get back to her. Pirate life has grown dull. A year later the opportunity came after Captain Cano ended up getting killed by an admiral. We disbanded and I bought a logpose to sail back to Grecko island. By the time I got there the village had been burned down and Chisa was missing. I talked to some locals and apparently some new pirate crew raided the coast of the island. I searched for her and the crew looking for revenge, but no one knew of them."

His voice cracked as he spoke, and he gripped his cup tighter. His eyes welled up and droplets rolled down his cheek. 

"Freedom wears thin and if you never give it up you'll miss out on things like love. I'm old now, all I can do is be a pirate. No matter how much I desire to give it up, I have realized once I do I'll be nothing," he finished. 

I finished the cup of tea I had been drinking and placed it down on the table in front of us. I pondered his story and thought of the previous life I lived. I knew what he meant about missing out on everything and feeling stuck in place. I didn't get married or have kids like everyone else, and in a lot of ways I felt like I missed out. 

"I think you have the same problem I used to have. You think freedom means doing whatever you want without responsibility. What freedom actually allows us to do is to choose our responsibilities. In the past I was very fickle and hated being in one place, so I shoved responsibility to the side. I don't want to keep making that mistake in this life. I'm here because your crew is tormenting townspeople and kids, that over this past month I've grown fond of. I know I could just move on, and go achieve my dream of seeing what this world has to offer, but I refuse to keep leaving people behind. I know you might regret running away. I have the same regrets, but you still have the freedom to choose your path," I replied. 

I stood up and he looked up at me shocked at my words. His eyebrows twitched and he put the cup to his lips, gulping it all down in one go. He slammed the cup on the table and stood up causing me to flinch. I created some distance, waiting for his reaction. 

He burst out laughing and in between laughs said, "I've met some talking animals out on the grand line but none as insightful as you."

"Thanks, I'm still learning as I go."

"I appreciate your words, but I fear that you speak a young man's game. I've been feeling down these past couple months, but your words reminded me of why I'm here in the first place. The freedom of the sea is fraught with challenges for me to overcome. I'm too old to change my path. I missed my opportunity. Pirating is all I know. There's nothing for an old man like me except the sea."

"Does that mean you're going to keep robbing Flea water and have your crew keep beating up its residents?"

"Why would I stop? Stealing is a part of what pirates do. Im going to take control of the crew again and get rid of Wabul. I can set up my own deal with the Navy. I appreciate your words, so I hope there's no hard feelings," Crow said.

The table flipped toward me in the air, and I dived to the right as the table crashed against the door behind me. Captain Crow smiled at me while sliding on his brass knuckles. I rushed at him and took a swipe with my claws, but he leaned to the left like an experienced boxer. He immediately punched me hard in the ribs, which sent me flying at the wall. Ignoring the pain, I picked up pieces of broken furniture and tossed it toward him. He dodged them effortlessly.

As I oriented myself, two quick explosions rang out and the building shook. Screams and sounds of yelling could be heard from right outside the door. Pedro must have blown the gunpowder, I need to hurry. I grabbed a chair leg and rushed back at him. He closed the distance and jabbed forward with his fist, but I dodged it. I swung the chair leg as hard as I could and hit him on the side of the head. He jumped back and I tried to get in close with my claws, but he gave me two quick jabs to the face.

He bled from the side of his head which slightly obscured his view in his left eye. I gripped the chair leg, and rushed in swinging wildly. He yanked the chair leg out of my hand, but I was able to cut his arm. I balled my fist and exchanged blows with him in the middle of the room. I hooked his arm, swinging him toward a wall, he crashed into the kitchen. The building started to creak and I heard the splintering of wood. I swiped ash out of the fireplace, while he stood up wobbling. I got on all fours and jumped toward him, while throwing the ash at his face. He still hit me in the ribs and I felt my ribs cracking, but the ash blinded him enough for me to drive my claws into his shoulder. 

He grabbed my arm with all his strength and refused to let go when I tried to pull back. The building gave out. The roof caved in on top of him, which allowed me to break free from his grasp. I climbed out of the wreckage and saw the camp on fire, with pirates running around and some fighting amongst each other. I staggered back from the wreckage of the shack, and looked toward where the money should be.

"I hope you don't think that was enough to kill me."

I looked over to the other side of the collapsed building and Captain Crow had finished crawling out the wreckage. He bled profusely, but acted as if he had taken no damage at all. 

"I haven't fought in months, but it feels good to be back. If you want to escape with your life, you'll have to go through me first," Crow said with a smile.

4