[Vol.2] Prologue: A New Oath
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This story follows Yamazumera’s perspective.

 

Light footsteps approach the giant elven tree that I’m choosing to sleep on. Almost weightless in each step, is there malice in this elf’s intention? Hmm. Well, I don’t suppose it matters anyway.

“Hey!! Elf-girl! Stop right there and state your purpose!” I shouted from above the leaves, basking in the warm yellow sunlight of the morning.

The elf’s step got heavier, I may have spooked the child. My bad.

“G-Great Eastern Dragon of the Sky!! The living embodiment of the strength of Asiluzon! Oh, Unholy Matron of Destruction — “ The elf shouted in praise.

“Eh eh no no no no, stop. You were doing well until that last one. Not a big fan of that title.” I said as I jumped down from the treetop, shaking the ground for miles as I descended. Oops.

“Sorry, are you okay?” I asked the shaken elf.

“Y-Yes, great dragon!” She replied.

“Okay, what do you want from me? Has Silvie finally gotten tired of me and wants me out of her preppy little kingdom? BAH! Tell her I was rearing to go, anyway!” I pouted and turned away.

“Uh… No, that is not it at all, great dragon.” She shakingly said, turning red in the face.

“Oh… What is it?” I asked, my curiosity piqued.

“Ehem. Great Dragon! My name is Lura Lennorin, a helper in the service of the Queen. I am here to deliver some news if your greatness shall allow me to speak so boldly!” She said with closed eyes and her right hand over her left shoulder.

Give me a break… This is why I hate visiting kingdoms with all their customs and whatnot. I guess being a dragon is kind of a big deal. I mean, we’re technically immortal and are living beings made entirely of mana itself, but it’s not like we’re gods or whatever? I’d honestly like the brashness of Orcish communities more than this prissy shit.

“Uhuh… sure,” I responded, annoyed.

“The boy, Benzeir — “ I didn’t let her finish.

Hearing his name was enough. I don’t need to hear anything more! I dashed forward, leaving a trail of blowing gusts around me as I flew to the Cyranic where he disappeared. I don’t even remember how many days had passed since then. What is this feeling… Why am I smiling? KIHAHAHA!! Benzeir!! Let’s see what happened to you, young Dreamwalker!

I arrived at the entrance of this huge school as the elven students pushed each other to get a view of me after I descended. Wow, I feel like a freak. At least they have the decency to stay about three meters away from me.

I walked through the sea of curious students and arrived at the main hall. Someone important-looking was standing at the entrance. A young-looking elf with white sheets wrapped around her eyes and a smile painted on her face. She wears a large purple hood adorned with stars and trees in different shades of purple and gold. She looks too important to be just a student.

Well, if I learned anything from my travels, elves aren’t always exactly as old as they look. Judging by appearances only, this one is barely 200 years old. Yet mana passes through her body like it’s a natural object. A wall. A stone. She completely hides her magical capability from those born with mana perception. This one would be quite a troublesome enemy.

I stopped in front of the ascending white marble steps toward the main door. She stands atop the stairs, opposite me. We stared at each other, although I cannot see her eyes, I know she was looking at me.

“Great Dragon of the East. Your presence is welcome in The Cyranic.” She said, bowing to me in courtesy.

I reply with the same forward bow, every so cautious of my motions.

“I appreciate the gesture. My name is Amnestria Vasatra, Headmaster and Director of this fine institution. To what do we owe the pleasure of your visit?” She feigned ignorance.

“For a person of your stature, I’m sure you know what I’m here for.” I asserted myself.

She smiled. Yet the smile exerted a wave of emotion from her. An emotion that I did not appreciate. It’s like she found my resistance… adorable?

“I am honored that you think me omniscient, great dragon. Yet I am but a humble servant to the welfare of the students here at the Cyranic. Amongst the hundreds of students enrolled here, I’m afraid you must specify your concern.” Amnestria said.

This bitch is testing my patience. Calm down, you don’t want to destroy her just because she’s an intolerable bitch. Silvie will most definitely be upset.

“Benzeir. The human boy. I’m here for him.” I spoke sternly.

“Oh my! I’m afraid I cannot allow you to pass. Better yet, I’m afraid I cannot allow anyone to pass through.” She said.

“What does that mean?” I asked, my annoyance increasing.

“Well, to reassure you, the boy has indeed rematerialized from where you reported his body disappeared into thin air. As much as I doubter of that story as I was, witnessing his reformation for myself has been quite the eye-opener.” Amnestria smiled again.

The murmurs of the students behind me are getting louder. Come to think of it, it’s the middle of the day. Have they also been sent out? Hmm. Makes sense, but I still don’t know why that is.

“Doesn’t explain why you can’t let me through. If you’re afraid that the boy will hurt me with uncontrolled magic, KIHAHA!! You don’t need to be so weary.” I crossed my arms.

“Goodness! I would never dare attempt such a dishonor as that, great dragon. Prohibiting anyone from entering is of a different nature.” Amnestria finally lost her smile.

“What nature is that?” I asked, dropping my crossed arms. The feeling of weariness building within me.

“The boy himself has requested to be left alone. He was quite insistent.” Amnestria explained.

“Aren’t you the Director? How can a student, let alone a human boy, push you over, Amnestria?” I chuckled.

“As I’m sure you’re well aware, great dragon, Dreamwalkers, or Harbingers, have remained a mystery and figures of myth. Their abilities and descriptions vary wildly across the many interpretations. The only constant being their complete domination and command of the will of mana. This boy exerted mana pressure akin to that of yours. Of course, not to the same intensity, yet it is nothing quite like a human’s. If not draconic, then it is definitely monstrous.” Amnestria elaborated.

What? A human boy… Exhibiting power that is akin to my own? A burst of unbridled laughter erupted from my mouth as my eyes widened in ecstasy. Oh? My hands are shaking! What is this excitement that I’m feeling!!

“Great dragon?” Amnestria smilingly asked, gesturing for me to look behind.

The crowd of students shook in fear, with some already collapsed to the ground. Oops. I must have unintentionally released pulses of my own mana pressure after getting too excited. My bad.

I waved behind them and smiled awkwardly. I heard Amnestria chuckle from behind. I guess she’s not so bad. Annoying, but not so bad. Do not eat the annoying Director, got it.

Before long, the large doors from behind Amnestria opened. It shocked everyone, including the Director and I. Behind the towering doors stood a human boy, struggling to open the doors made of what looks to be Obsidianwood. Once they swung open wide enough for him to step out, Amnestria gave way and let Benzeir stand in the middle of the stairs.

The Director descended the steps and stood beside me. Hey, doesn’t this look way too much like a king addressing his people? Oi! You don’t get to be cool this early, Benzeir! KIHAHAHA!! You excite these old bones, young one.

As the two of us stood in front of the crowd of hundreds of elven students, everyone stared at the panting boy atop the marble steps. Pathetic as he looked, there is an air of power coming from him. The students that wouldn’t think twice about spitting on a human now look at him with awe and reverence, even if they don’t know about him being a Dreamwalker.

His pressure has changed, even his aura and the way he walks seem to have matured. This doesn’t look like the same boy that cried over his fallen friend. This looks like a man that crawled out of hell and is living to tell the tale. He stood there in silence for a few moments before finally opening his mouth.

“My name is Benzeir… A human, just to get that out of the way. I am fourteen years of age. I’m a little shy and don’t really do parties and stuff. I like meat, not so much vegetables. I am here, bearing a title that is of great importance to you, despite not understanding what it means. Dreamwalker… Harbinger… All these names thrown around and none of which I know how to explain. I walked with you before, not entirely knowing my purpose. All that changes now…” Benzeir spoke proudly.

Everyone was patiently listening. Not a heckle. Not a sound was made to contest against the boy atop the stairs. Impressive, young one.

“I have only one goal. One person that I need to eliminate. Yet I am far too weak to even think of defeating him. I need to get stronger. Until then… Until I can face him… I will fight for you.” The boy proclaimed his loyalty.

Without words, I felt Amnestria’s heart jump out of her chest in joy. I guess she was still worried that the boy would just use elven knowledge against them once he matured into an adult. Look at this elf unable to contain her emotions.

“Call it selfish because it kind of is. In reality, I can’t get stronger without your help. This man, this monster, that I want to face, is far more terrifying than anything I have ever seen! I’ve been touched by death from his hand without even a sweat dripping from his forehead. If it means getting the strength to one day overpower him, let me be your sword. That is my oath.” Benzeir ended his speech.

The bow went down to his knees and bowed to everyone that is in attendance. I looked behind me to see that the crowd now comprised of even nearby townsfolk and even other merchants from different elven countries.

In the back, I see the elf girl messenger, Lura, panting heavily with hooded figures behind her. The royal family, perhaps? Hmm… Two princesses. How amusing?

I looked back toward Benzeir and noticed Amnestria has already made her way to the middle of the steps. Ascending to the top, she bent down to Benzeir and gently brushed his hair down to his upper back. She gently helped him up and went to face the audience, with the Dreamwalker beside her. How very kind of you. Maybe not entirely kindness, but somewhat also political.

While the news of a Dreamwalker has yet to travel to other kingdoms as well as those in the Warring Lands, acquiring his loyalty would definitely be a game-changer. Influencing the balance of the world. If Benzeir becomes even half as powerful as I think he could become, even eyes from Asiluzon would definitely be interested. This is exciting!!

“Students of the Cyranic! Merchants! Humble subjects of Odaoqith! As a respected member of the community, I hereby proclaim that this boy is accepted as one of our own. To adopt him as my own child, I hereby request the presence of royalty to bless his anointment.” Amnestria addressed the audience.

Anointed as an honorary elf? This hasn’t happened in quite a long time! Even still, I’ve never heard a human has ever been anointed before. Benzeir, if not for wars, you are definitely shaking up the cultures and traditions of the world. Well, its drift has already begun. I hear murmurs and divided factions already. Are you ready to accept the turmoil that you cause? I’ll be happy to watch you make your moves.

One of the hooded elves walked through the audience and up the steps to the side opposite Amnestria. Benzeir looked at her with amazement and yet familiarity. Once the hood has been removed, it revealed a young-looking girl with those ever so distinct galaxy-filled scleras.

“I, Siphanien Syltris, second princess to the Kingdom of Odaoqith, accept your request. Although unorthodox, perhaps the situation merits the voiding of regular processing. I shall be a witness and officiate your anointment.” Siphanien smiled at Benzeir.

Siphanien Syltris, second princess of the Odaoqith Kingdom

Princess Siphanien Syltris
Second Princess of the Odaoqith Kingdom

 

The Director raised her hands up above Benzeir’s head. She generated an orb of concentrated mana on her palms. Some of those in the audience followed suit, sending smaller-sized orbs to the Director’s large one, increasing its size.

Once the smaller orbs have been gathered, Amnestria allowed the orb to rest freely above Benzeirs head. Interacting with the boy’s mana, the orb quickly turned into a lustrous golden color that amazed the audience.

Jaws dropping everywhere. People pledging their mutual loyalty to you. Your natural charisma draws them closer. You haven’t even done a thing for these people and you’ve already gathered a few followers.

 

All these characteristics of a man I once knew.

All these characteristics of a king.

Tell me, Benzeir, will your ambition take you there?

 

“In the audience of royalty, I hereby anoint this boy as an honorary elf under my name. From this day forward, he shall be known as Ayre Vasatra, taken from the progenitor of my clan. As his guardian, I shall carry the burden if ever my ward commits crimes against our society.” Amnestria addressed the audience firmly.

I hear chuckles and scoffs among the audience. This should be interesting…

“If there are any that wish to overturn this anointment, speak now or forever be silent!” Siphanien shouted out.

Even with murmurs and elves talking amongst themselves, none dared speak up against the anointment.

“So be it! By the power that I hold as a member of the Royal Court of Odaoqith, I hereby accept the new addition to our community. Arise! Ayre Vasatra, may your spirit move to nature’s benefit.” Siphanien proclaimed.

The princess knelt in front of the boy and kissed his forehead. The golden orb resting on top of him descended upon the boy and the princess. They got showered by blessings of everyone that went in favor of the anointment.

Thunderous applause and cheers erupted from the audience. While some who disapproved snuck away from the crowd and grumpily went about their business. The princess removed herself from the stage as the crowd went up to meet the new honorary elf.

I smiled from a distance, looking at the boy I am supposed to protect. Well, a little bit of this shouldn’t hurt him. I looked at him one last time and sent a small burst of mana to get his attention. As he looked at me, I saw a mixture of emotions in his eyes.

I can’t wait to see what’s next for you, Ayre.

I took my leave and stepped away from the chaos. See you after school, Dreamwalker.

 

 

HELLO! Thank you thank you so much for reading the latest chapter! This marks the first chapter for Volume 2 of OATH KEEPER. I am so excited! We kick off with Yamazumera’s perspective after finally returning to the magical world. A lot has happened and more things keep happening! With Benny’s anointment into Ayre, a lot more adventures are coming up! Thank you for sticking around! See you in the next ones! You’re the best! :>

0