[Vol.2] Episode II: Orientation
31 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This story follows Ayre Vasatra’s perspective.

 

The Preparation Class begins!

Yhendorn Shalar, the puffy hat professor, cleared his throat as he stood in the middle of the arena. Well, I call it an arena because it looks like a coliseum cut in half. The “stage”? Does that sound better? Looks cool though.

“All of you here in this room have been granted a rare opportunity; one that not even the offsprings of noble houses are guaranteed!” Yhendorn exclaimed proudly, stretching his arms out wide.

“Long is the history of the Cyranic, but I shall spare you the details for your history classes.” He smirked.

The rest of the class replied with a collective sigh. Huh, I guess even elves don’t like the thought of learning about history. I’ve oddly been good at it, even if I don’t really feel like consciously studying it. Everything just… flows naturally, I guess?

“Let’s get over the basics, shall we?” Yhendorn smiled.

The professor employed his magic and sent hundreds of small bolts of lightning toward every student in the room! Shoot! Do I have enough time to dodge it? It’s coming at me so fast! It’s a miracle that I can even perceive it!

I have to use it. I have to get into mana space.

Right before the small lightning bolt hit my forehead, I was able to enter mana space —a black-and-white zone where time moves slowly while the user retains normal speed. Despite entering mana space, the lightning bolt is still moving quite fast. I had just enough time to fling my head to the side, almost bumping into Saida’s head.

Damn, I wasn’t quick enough to pull her head away from the lightning bolt. Just what is this orientation!! I quickly exit mana space and started breathing heavier than usual. Yamazumera’s right, I shouldn’t abuse this power. It’s not like I can fully understand it anyway.

Besides, the only other ones that I’ve seen use this skill are Christopher Cho and my father.

“We don’t know how much this skill is costing your body. For now, I suggest you use it only in required situations.”

I remembered the Eastern Dragon’s words. Her voice is echoing inside of my brain like a video game reminder when I do something I’m not supposed to. Sorry, Yamazumera, I think I used it well, right?

“Sigh, why are there always overachieving kids like you in the classes that I handle? Every single year, it’s always me that has to verbally explain the school rules…” The professor sighed and grabbed his face, shaking his head wearily.

I looked around me and most of the students are passed out, with a sparking orb of mana floating closely above their foreheads. Their eyes are wide open and glowing white. I looked around me and there are only three students that we're able to remain conscious: the dark elf, the hooded girl, and me.

The hooded girl raised her hand.

“Huh? Sure, go ahead, your name is?” Professor Yhendorn asked.

The hooded girl took off her hood. Finally. Oh? I can’t see her face, but one thing stood out quite well. She has sunny golden-yellow hair! That’s new.

Ayen Norleth, daughter of the emissary from the Caeda Kingdom, Home of the Wood Elves.” She said.

Wood Elf? Oh, I always assumed that Sky Elves were technically the wood elves of this world. Her blonde hair is quite short and held up by green wraps made of some elastic material.

“Oh, I now understand the reason for your preference to keep up the hood. Tell me, Ayen Norleth, what is it that you wanted to ask?” The professor replied.

“I just wanted to confirm my suspicion.” Ayen cleared her throat five times.

That’s… Odd?

“The lightning bolts you cast are part of a non-damaging skill. I remember you mentioning that you are a member of the Fervor of Deception, which specializes in illusory magic. If I understand correctly, you’re currently giving the orientation to the other students through illusions. Something that would probably be more arduous for other mages, but as a 4th-Tier yourself, this is nothing but child’s play. Am I correct?” Ayen said confidently.

Pfft. Show off.

“Correct on most points, but not entirely.” The professor replied.

I can feel Ayen’s annoyance. Haha, serves you right.

Clouded Eye is one of the fundamental illusion magic that is taught to students. In general, it definitely does not have any lasting effects, but in the hands of a master such as myself, I can convince one with low morale that they have already died.” Professor Yhendorn said powerfully.

Whoa. Illusion magic is scary. Remind me not to get on this professor’s bad side. Well, given my history in school before, I might need to be extra careful. Ayen sat down slowly with a defeated aura around her. Hehe. I’m so mean. I’m already cheering for the humiliation of the preppy girl.

“Alright, if there are no more clarifications, let us just get over this orientation. Sigh… Why does it always have to be me?” Professor sounds so defeated.

He deserves a week-long vacation based on his demeanor. Or maybe he’s just lazy? Hmm. Maybe I should ask elf-mom. Wait… Will that get him in trouble? I should probably not…

I looked at the dark elf to my right. To my surprise, he’s already looking at me. Such intense bright orange irises. I can’t tell whether it's anger or fear that he’s exuding, my mana perception can’t tell the difference for him.

“Most elves born in Odaoqith already know most of what I’m going to be telling you, but since all three of you are from different lands, I must exert more effort. Sigh… Let’s begin.” Professor Yhendorn is almost dying.

Professor Yhendorn finally began the orientation.

The Cyranic is a magical institution that divides it’s students into a tier-based ranking. Due to its age and popularity even throughout the kingdoms of the other races across all the continents, this ranking has been adopted as the main classification for most places.

Students qualifying to enter the Cyranic are automatically granted a Tier-1 ranking on their first day. However, some students demonstrating exceptional abilities have the chance to immediately ascend their tier-level at the end of the first day in an event called “The Scorching”. Quite the name for an event that first-years will be attending, if I do say so myself. He refused to elaborate on the event. I guess I’ll just have to see for myself!

In contrast to human schools, student mages in the Cyranic don’t get promoted to the next tier every year. Qualifications differ and grow exponentially as the tier-level increases. Every year, there is an “Ascension Exam” where students can volunteer to get tested and possibly get a higher level tier assigned to them. However, the statistics aren’t something to laugh about.

“Let’s say there are 100 students that enter the Cyranic in a specific year. Of those 100, 80 of them will ascend to the second tier within a few years. Since there are about 400 of you in this room, you can expect 80 or so of these faces to either stagnate at the first tier, or drop out of the academy as a whole.” Professor Yhendorn said with a grim expression.

“Hmp! That is to be expected. Even with the students of Cyranic being the cream-of-the-crop, there can only be so few great mages in the world!” Ayen commented as if speaking as one of those great mages.

“Of those 80 that ascend to the second tier, only 10 will ascend to the third tier within five years after promotion.” The professor turned the room’s emotion into that of heavy anticipation.

I didn’t need to look at the other two to realize that both of them got tense. I looked at my own hands and felt small tremors as I gripped my outer robes beneath the desk. It’s okay, Benny. You’ll most definitely be part of that ten selected few.

“T-Ten!? That’s preposterous! Th-that means…” Ayen nervously mumbled.

“Precisely. As cruel as it sounds, achieving the third tier is already an honor that only a few get to proclaim.” Professor Yhendorn remained stern and spoke coldly.

“You’re forgetting about blood. The blood that practically guarantees a third-tier ranking.” The dark elf to my right finally spoke.

I turned to him and his orange irises looked directly at the professor. Expecting him to say something. It isn’t blind anticipation though, it seems like the professor knows exactly what he meant.

“Ah, yes… Your name, young one?” The professor asked.

Geta Teriza, walker of the Great Sands of Perthosh. Nothing noble like this wood elf.” The dark elf spoke coldly, like the professor.

“Hmp! What is that supposed to mean? Do you have anything against my noble bloodline!?” Ayen retorted.

Ayen Norlet, 1st-Tier Ice Mage

Ayen Norleth
First-Tier Ice Mage

 

Absolutely.” Geta turned his head toward the wood elf and exerted a powerful pressure toward the girl.

His eyes glowed white and black smoke started to burst from his eyes. A Shadow Mage!! My eyebrows twitched out of the blue as I found myself reeling from a memory of encountering another one of them before!

Ayen got pushed back, but immediately responded with her own mana pressure that was about as strong as Geta’s. Her eyes glowed white as icy blue smoke emitted from her eyes. The two stood sat and stared menacingly at each other. Enduring pressure from one mage is one thing, but being caught between the crossfire of two battling mages is another.

I had to activate my own mana pressure as well. Yamazumera called it mana cloak. Constantly emitting a certain amount of mana to surround one’s own body in a protective coating.

“Oh?” The Professor commented while drinking from a glass he picked up from his desk, noticing my quick activation of the mana cloak.

Is he not going to do anything about this??

“Speak your mind, dark elf!” Ayen shouted, standing up in her rage.

“Even the taste of your mana disgusts me, noble. Tell them, Professor! Tell them how the bloodlines ridicule the delicate balance of mana!!” Geta shouted in response.

The two steadily increased their mana pressure toward each other, never budging in their balance. Shit, I need to be careful. If either one of them uses their magic, I need to retreat defensively!

“That’s enough.” The Professor’s voice resounded throughout the room.

“Huh?” Ayen got startled.

“What!?” Geta was surprised himself.

There was a copy of the Professor replacing each of the collapsed students in the room. Hold on… Has he placed us in an illlusion already!? I didn’t even feel it!

“Come on now, any guesses?” Professor addressed the three of us.

The two dropped their mana pressures after looking at each other knowingly. I followed suit.

“Hahaha, even the elders of my tribe wouldn’t be capable of casting such a complex illusion without any of us noticing. For an affinity not entirely suited for illusory magic, you definitely deserve your 4th-Tier ranking. Your noble blood disgusts me.” Geta commented on the professor's magic.

“What is it that you hate about nobles!?” Ayen shouted.

“Now, now, the boy is not entirely out of place.” The professor commented.

“You see, the noble and royal bloodlines have long practiced the preservation of purity by only intermixing with nobles and royalties themselves. For a great many, this disrupts the natural balance of mana, believing that power should not be concentrated only to a select few families.” The professor explained.

“That’s not our fault! It isn’t harming them anyway? So what, if we have a highborn blood??” Ayen replied.

“Young one, there is a certain belief that there is only a set maximum amount of mana in the world — an upper limit. Many cultures are against the preservation of purity for they believe that it will eventually deplete the rest of the world of mana.” The professor explained.

I saw Ayen open her mouth to try and reply, but refrained from doing so. She calmed herself down and sat back down. Still, the copies of the professor speaking in unison is definitely something from out of a fever dream. I still can’t get over it.

The professor continued his explanation. Everyone with a mana connection is born with an affinity to a certain type of magic:

Common Affinities:

  • Fire — most suited for destruction
  • Ice — most suited for healing
  • Lightning — most suited for destruction

Rarer Affinities:

  • Light — can be adapted into any type of magic
  • Shadow — most suited for illusion

Aberrant Affinities:

Some mages are born with odd affinities that seem to be in relation to the bloodline they carry. Serving as more proof of Geta’s disgust for the noble bloodlines, it seems that all of these aberrants are from noble or royal families. Some of the ones that the professor mentioned are:

  • Polar magic, capable of switching from repulsion and propulsion forces
  • Beast magic, capable of communicating and controlling beasts

There is also the elusive water affinity that somehow only exists in one mage in a lifetime as far as records show. Its power more or less should be called life affinity if anything, allowing the user to connect to most living beings and nature using water magic.

The current user is a 5th-Tier Mage in the academy. I hope to meet her someday! I wonder what she looks like… Iefyr sure adored her.

“Well, two of seem to already have a grasp of what your affinities are, but for the rest of your classmates, their affinities will be determined within the day.” The professor spoke through his clones creepily.

I wonder what affinity I’ll get? Is there a wind affinity? I don’t think that there was any mention of it… Hmm… Maybe I’m rare? No, that just sounds cliche. The Last Airbender is already a story that exists. Besides, I don’t wanna shave my head bald and get blue arrow tattoos.

The class continued with the professor introducing us to school rules. Nothing of note. However, one thing stuck out to me.

“Any time of discrimination done to other races within the Academy will warrant immediate expulsion. This is the Skieath Decree.” He explained briefly.

Skieath Decree… Are you watching, Iefyr? They named a decree from you. You’re protecting people against discrimination even in your death. I hope you’re proud. I’ll make you proud!

The professor uncast his illusion and revealed the bodies of the sleeping students. The three of us felt chills all over our bodies after the illusion was uncast. Is this how it feels to be the subject of an illusion?

“Well, if there is nothing else, the class is dismissed. I hope to see all three of you remain in the institution for a long time. You monsters. Just how powerful is the new generation going to get? Well, I will be seeing you around.” The professor addressed us before promptly walking out of the room.

The three of us bowed with proper posture and waited for him to leave before raising our heads. We didn’t look at each other for a few moments and just stood there absorbing everything. This is the start of a whole new journey. I am so excited!

“Oy, human,” Geta spoke to me.

Geta Teriza, 1st-Tier Shadow Mage

Geta Teriza
First-Tier Shadow Mage

 

“Yeah?” I responded.

Ayre Vasatra. I’ll be watching you. You and your freakish speed. I better see you at the Scorching. Later, then.” Geta crossed his arms and walked down the steps.

Did I just get a new friend? Rival? Hehe. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t excited. Ayen look back and forth between Geta and me, wondering what it meant. I followed Geta walking down the steps while the wood elf kept calling out for both of us. She ran down quickly, not allowing Geta to be the first to leave the room.

Ayen Norleth… Geta Teriza… Monsters of my generation. Let’s see how far we can go!

 

Hey, you! Thanks for reading the latest chapter. I’m liking this whole school setting because it gives me an opportunity to create characters that Benny/Ayre will bounce off of. I hope you’re liking it well! See you next time :>

0