[Vol.2] Episode IV: Setback
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This story follows Ayre Vasatra’s perspective.

 

Everyone fell silent.

Some were shocked like me. While others turned away with a knowing expression. He doesn’t have an affinity?

“Don’t fret, dear boy. Your acceptance into the Cyranic is already a demonstration of your capacity for magic.” The floating professor spoke lines that looked rehearsed, something already practiced to perfection.

“What does that mean? The curriculum clearly splits depending on what affinity you get! What happens to me now…” The boy spoke with trembling lips.

“I did not speak of this, hoping that all of you would have your affinities discovered. However, it seems that would not be the case. Allow me to explain…” The floating professor turned to the rest of us.

Everyone stood there anxious. Nobles. Elves from other countries. None were spared from the anxiety of not having an affinity.

The professor decorated her speech with flowery and comforting words, yet its core remained the same. Mages have a 70% chance of being born with an affinity. With Cyranic’s high expectations from screening students before acceptance, that rate has been increased to 90%. Still, the remaining 10% are not so lucky.

Those that don’t have an affinity are automatically added as a member of the Fervor of Protection. She spoke as if this is a well and honored Fervor, but from the reactions of the older students serving as ushers, that doesn’t seem to be the case. A default Fervor? I’m getting even more nervous…

1*McAjdxnwH0VUYZ87C8uqdg.png

Fervor of Protection
Represented by a Sea Turtle

 

“The Fervor of Protection is recognized throughout the whole Forest Continent, just as the other Fervors are. Members of this fervor specialize in using magic in both defensive and offensive forms against direct opponents. The lack of elemental affinity also grants members of this Fervor no direct weaknesses from other affinities.” The professor explained.

“My father told me that the members of the Fervor of Protection are like infantry soldiers! No better than regular fighters and warriors! Why are you making it sound like it's such a good thing!?” One of the students in my unsorted group shouted in fear.

The professor ignored his shouting. The student-ushers grit their teeth.

“Psst. Human-elf.” The sky elf sitting beside me spoke without looking at me.

“What is it?” I responded.

“Did you know? It doesn’t matter what this professor says. This Fervor is bad news.” He said mockingly.

“Why is that?” I was intrigued.

“Well, they’re more or less nomads. They’re not permanently accepted to kingdoms since their services aren’t always needed. Why would you need a mage without a specialty for a long period of time, right? Anyway, I heard from a couple of friends that there was a group of them hired by a neighboring kingdom in a skirmish against humans in the Warring Lands, but they never showed up on the battlefield!” The elf gossiped.

“What? They deserted?” I asked, shocked at what I’m hearing.

Crunching grass. Cracking knuckles. A grunting mage.

We both looked to the right, an enraged student-usher glared at us with eyes that spoke of bloodlust.

“Deserters? I wish… I wish they would’ve just deserted. If they did, maybe my friend would still be somewhere in the world and living away from all of this hogwash.” The mage said.

We both just listened as the student-usher spoke quietly but with a pained tone. The professor kept up her speech about how the Fervor of Protection was an amazing Fervor in and of itself.

“The group of mages arrived in the Warring Lands just as instructed by the king of one of the lesser kingdoms. Instead of being a reconnaissance unit as they were promised, there were no other soldiers that arrived with them.” The mage continued.

“Wh-what do you mean? That’s not what the news said!” The elf boy beside me argued.

“Grow up, kid. The news caters to the rich and powerful. If it’s something that harms them, the news won’t get told. The truth is… the whole unit died against the humans.” The mage continued, his eyes brimming with anger.

Sparks of bright purple started to come from his eyes. He must be a lightning affinity mage.

“Th-that can’t be right… the news wouldn’t lie!” The kid shakingly tried to deny the things that he was hearing.

I sat there and just absorbed everything. Knowing how vile humans are from my world, I wouldn’t be surprised if the same kind of thing happens in elven kingdoms.

Humans. Elves. It doesn’t matter. I guess evil sprouts where evil can.

“Believe what you want, boy. I honestly want to believe it too. The bottomline is, the Fervor of Protection is nothing but army fodder.” The mage said ominously.

His words stuck with me. I kept looking at Geta and Ayen sitting amongst other young mages of their same affinity. What happens if I don’t have one?

The discovery of affinities proceeded after the professor's long speech. Students got sorted into their affinities as their members cheered to welcome them, while those that did not were silently escorted to the side. As of now, there are six of them. It would be my turn shortly.

“Ayre, Son of Amnestria Vasatra, oh! This should be a good one. Well, let’s see. Will you have the same affinity as your adoptive mother? Please step into the center of the lake.” The floating professor smilingly directed me to the waters.

Don’t think about it. You’re a Dreamwalker! A figure of legend. You’re definitely going to have an affinity. Calm down, you’ll be fine. Right?

Right as I was walking, the crowd made loud murmurs as they pointed up to other of the tall trees. Crap. You didn’t have to show up right now.

I looked up in the direction they were pointing and there she sat. My guardian and mentor, Yamazumera, the Great Eastern Dragon of the Sky. She sat down, swinging her legs excitedly. She smiled and waved at me when she noticed I was looking in her direction.

I stepped into the water with complete faith that I have nothing to be afraid of. The water is cold. The overwhelming amount of mana danced around me like happy fish. It flowed so harmoniously that the ripples in the water increased in height by a few inches. I saw the professor smile. Right, there’s nothing to be worried about. You’ll be fine!

The water started to rise as it surrounded me in a tall whirlpool column with all of the rainbow colors of the different affinities. My heartbeat is going as fast as it could. Is it going to be something special? No, I don’t need special. I’d be happy being sorted to the most common affinity of fire. That’s perfectly fine. As long as I have one, as long as — 

A loud collective gasp echoed amongst the students. The professor was left aghast. She floated down to the water with me and shakingly tried to clasp my face.

I heard a loud shout from above the trees. A rattling of leaves, then a loud crash accompanied by a strong outburst of mana. Yamazumera jumped down from the tree and walked straight into the pool, grabbing the neckline of the professor.

I looked at the students with awakened or discovered affinities and saw Geta and Ayen’s wide eyes. Eyes that spoke of shock and lack of belief.

“Oy!! This isn’t a joke, Solana! Why in the world is your divining water not working properly!?” Yamazumera shouted.

“This is not a result of my intervention, Great Dragon!” Solana, the previously floating professor, defended herself.

Yamazumera’s pressure was steadily increasing. The student-ushers don’t know what to do. They just had the other students get away from the lake as far back as possible without actually leaving the area.

“As great as you are, I am certain that you’ve felt this to be the case. You are just angry that this discovery confirmed your fears.” Solana spoke against Yamazumera.

Grabbing her neckline even more, Yamazumera gritted her teeth. At the peak of her anger, Solana closed her eyes. When I thought Yamazumera would attack, she pulled back. She let the professor go and clenched her fists, gritting her teeth as she stared at her reflection on the lake.

She gave me a look, almost apologizing, before stepping away and jumping up to the trees. She disappeared after that. The students slowly came back as everyone tried to get back their composure after the chaos. For some, that was the first time they ever experienced the mana pressure of an actual dragon. Do I even have time to think about them right now?

Geta looked at me with anger. His eyes looked at me as if I had betrayed him. Ayen’s eyes were the ones out of character. Her eyes looked sad. Mournful. As if she’d lost a friend. She didn’t lose a friend… I’m still here.

Solana placed her hand on my face and gently brushed it.

“Ayre Vasatra, my humble apologies if your expectations were not fulfilled. Dear boy, you do not have an affinity.” Solana mournfully said.

0