[Vol.2] Episode VI: Class of the Unfortunate
21 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This story follows Ayre Vasatra’s perspective.

 

The class was taken aback by what we are witnessing. An Ifrit as a professor? That’s crazy! Even if my guardian and mentor is a dragon, I still deserve to be surprised that this is even the case. Our eyes were affixed to the man sitting on a burning throne, scorching even the marble floor.

Raasami looks like any typical elf with the same color complexion and pointed ears. The only noticeable difference in his appearance are his irises with colors similar to dancing flames. He also has three golden earrings on each ear. The ones on his left ear are rings, while the ones on his right are dangling bars with one shorter than the last. Oh, his hair is also black with some hint of red bleeding from an underneath layer. I can't believe I didn't notice that in the first place?

“Alright, I know you have a billion questions in your little minds. I’ll answer a few of them.” Raasami cleared his throat and adjusted his sitting position, now leaning on his left side.

First, no, I am not malevolent. Well, if you follow what I say, that is. Second, I am an actual professor in the Cyranic. They just don’t announce it. I imagine your peanut brains can figure out why.” Raasami lifted a finger for each point, with each having a small ball of fire sitting on top of his fingers.

That makes sense. Despite the deep connection to mana and the land that elves have, having a malevolent supernatural spirit as a faculty member isn’t exactly something that would be welcomed openly.

Third, I got this position after being contracted by the previous Director of this stupid school. The contract was lifted after his death, but I somehow can’t find myself leaving his academy. Don’t insinuate feelings. You will regret it.” Raasami glared at us with three fingers raised.

I took a large gulp. Despite his friendly demeanor, being in the same room as an Ifrit is apparently exhausting. Aside from the external heat in the room increasing, the mana pressure that he exudes is no joke. I found myself subconsciously activating my mana cloak just to understand everything he was saying.

“Before anything else, time for you buggers to tell me your names. I’ve already introduced myself. Add in something interesting so as to convince me to not forget you. Front row, rightmost, go first.” Raasami pointed at the young elf.

“Yes, sir! My name is Fae Ivanduil, born from a lower noble house right here in Odaoqith. I like keeping pets and nursing injured forest creatures!” Fae joyfully exclaimed.

She doesn’t even seem fazed that she doesn’t have an affinity. Good for her!

“Ivanduil? I knew your grandfather. Quite the annoying lightning mage, I tell you. Alright. Fae, the animal girl, you may sit. Next!” Raasami showed an endearing smile. Maybe he isn’t so bad?

“Sir! Eiphraan Skieath, a foundling from the Church of Odaoqith. I don’t have a defining quality, but I am perfectly fine having no affinity as long as I can protect the ones that I love and also the helpless!” Eiphraan proudly declared.

Skieath? He has the same last name as Iefyr… Well, given their similar disposition, I wouldn’t think twice if someone told me they are brothers.

“Skieath, eh? Surname given to children abandoned, orphaned, or those without a place of origin determined. Well, it doesn’t matter to me whether you’re an abandoned child or a prince. Your heart is in the right place, Eiphraan. Sit down. Next!” Raasami warmly disregarded Eiphraan’s lineage.

I felt the mana around him skip and flow quickly after hearing the Ifrit’s words. He’s actually nice!

“Good day to you, sir! I am Ariwen Adrora, the eldest daughter of a merchant family. I have nothing much to give, but I’m willing to learn what it takes to be a protector! I’ve been nothing but that since my mother died… Ah! I don’t mean to overshare or be annoying!” Ariwen got flustered.

“Apologize not, Ariwen. Your sacrifice and courage to stand as a mother to your younger siblings are just as honorable as a royal knight to Odaoqith. You may sit down. Next!” Raasami stared intently into Ariwen’s eyes.

“H-Hi… Sir… Cohnal Buxae. Uhm, nothing special, I guess? Got lucky getting in here, to begin with. I guess I just don’t want to disappoint my old dad. I’m all he has and getting accepted brought such a bright smile to his heart. Thank you for having me.” Cohnal bowed to Raasami as he spoke.

“Honorable young mage. We have too many proud mages with grand ambitions.” Raasami said.

Ehe. Is he talking about me? Hehe. I’m justified!

“The Kingdom, no, the world, is that much brighter to have your innocent desires within it. You may sit down. Next!” Raasami nodded understandingly.

Gweyr Beilen, at your service! Born and raised as a wildlife hunter in the small town of Iorriel near the northwestern border of Odaoqith.” Gweyr smilingly declared.

Fae audibly gasped, accompanied by a fearful expression on her face. Oh no. A dispute amongst the class already? Gweyr wondered why the nature girl looked at her so fearfully for a few moments, before finally realizing what was happening.

“Oh! No, no, no, please do not misunderstand! My family does not pride itself on hunting for sport! We are a family of hunters that also cultivate the natural habitat of wildlife in the forest so that hunting could happen in a non-intrusive way!” Gweyr tried to explain herself.

ANIMALS ARE FRIENDS, THEY ARE NOT FOOD!” Fae started bawling. She’s probably vegan or vegetarian.

The rest of the elves just awkwardly chuckled and watched as the two bickered on their points without giving an inch to each other. I sneaked a glance at the Ifrit and saw him smiling for a moment before that smile turned into a mournful stare. I don’t understand.

“Alright, that’s enough, the two of you. Fae, your love and care for the creatures of the forest is admirable, but you cannot impose your lifestyle on others forcefully. Gweyr, although there is nothing wrong with your sustainable hunting practice, I suggest not mentioning it as often in the presence of your classmate just to promote peace. Got it?”

“Yes, sir. Will do.” Gweyr bowed energetically before taking a seat.

“Yews, suw!! (Yes, sir!!)” Fae tearfully said before slowly sitting down.

Part of me is glad that they’re on the opposite ends of the first row where they are sitting at. Well, I guess it’s time for my introduction.

“Last one. Oh? The nerds at the faculty weren’t kidding when they said the Director actually fostered a human. Introduce yourself!” Raasami addressed me.

I stood up and fixed myself. I took a deep breath. This isn’t the first, and surely wouldn’t be the last, time that I will have to introduce myself under my new name. The other five elves are looking at me with kind eyes. Kind even though they chose to sit in a whole row away from me. Hehe. Can’t blame them.

“Hey, everyone. My name is Ayre Vasatra, adoptive son of Amnestria Vasatra. Human, but anointed as an honorary elf because of being deemed as a Dreamwalker. I — uh — have a goal that isn’t quite as wholesome or honorable as the rest of you. I want to be the strongest that there is. Well, given the situation, I’m willing to settle on the strongest that I can be.” I spoke the truth.

My classmates looked at me intently. Fae and Ariwen looked with interest. Eiphraan looked discontented. Gweyr and Cohnal simply listened without any judgment.

“You must have been quite disappointed to realize that you don’t have an affinity, given the large setback that it imposes on your goal,” Raasami commented.

“Shocked and defeated, to say the least, but not anymore. From my new friends encouraging me that it doesn’t spell the end for me, and to my classmates here making me see that I shouldn’t have any reason to feel dejected, I believe that I can still make something of what I’m born with.” I smiled and responded respectfully. Raasami nodded his head in response.

“Why do you fight, Ayre Vasatra? Why is it that you want to become stronger?” Raasami asked.

“Well… Call it selfish, but there is a man that I have to overcome. Someone whose power exists so far beyond my realm of understanding that even dreaming of defeating him, as I am now, feels like a sin.” I furrowed my brows remembering the face of my father. His ominous golden eyes.

“Hmm… What then?”

“I’m sorry?” I didn’t understand what he meant.

“After you defeat that man, the man with unfathomable power. Let’s say you do gain the power to defeat him. What’s next for the honorary elf graced by the most powerful mage in this whole academy?” Raasami looked at me with unblinking eyes.

“Well… I guess that means my personal goal is complete.” I answered.

I felt his disappointment from the breath he drew after hearing my answer. My classmates gave off the same energy.

“…but that doesn’t mean my journey is over.” I continued.

I piqued everyone’s interest.

“I’ve come to realize that the people I’ve lost in my life aren’t really gone. They still live within me! I’ve honestly taken it upon myself to live for the things that they wanted to do in life but didn’t get the chance to. To live for a purpose bigger than myself, and to protect the helpless and needy, leaving no one behind. Living as they would have makes me feel like they’re not gone at all. That’s my adventure!” I smiled.

I saw Fae bursting into tears and mumbling as she slowly walked toward me offering a hug. I accepted it awkwardly and tapped her back lightly as she cried loudly over my shoulder.

“Youw sow kimd!! (You’re so kind!!)” Fae said beyond her tears.

The rest of the class looked at me with approval while Gweyr clapped in cheer, standing on her seat. Raasami smiled as he nodded. When Fae finally returned to her seat and Gweyr sat back down. Raasami stood up from his burning throne. The throne collapsed, leaving scorch on the marble floor similar to the burns after a campfire is made.

“After the many years of accepting students without an affinity, I have come to a simple theory that has yet to be disproven. The Fervor of Protection has mages with the purest of hearts and intentions.” Raasami smiled as he looked up to the warm sunlight coming from the glass panels encircling the ceiling.

I felt warm after hearing this.

“I have yet to meet a mage with intentions not rooted in kindness. Robbed of an elemental affinity, yet blessed with the strongest and warmest of hearts. The fires burning in your chests would make even an Ifrit’s flame feel as cold as snow. I have only one command that you all must follow if I shall accept you under my tutelage. Are you listening?”

“Yes, sir!!!” The class shouted in chorus.

“Never lose this heart of yours. No matter what happens! Despite all the challenges and discrimination that you will feel from everyone else! They always call this class of new students the “Class of the Unfortunate” yet I completely disagree! There is nothing unfortunate about having hearts as tough as diamond, yet warm as the sun!” Raasami addressed us with a wide smile and outstretched arms.

All of us shouted in agreement with everything he said. It felt so motivational that I forgot about how sad it felt less than an hour ago.

Fae… Eiphraan… Ariwen… Cohnal… Gweyr… Let’s do our best! Let’s show them that we can stand on the same stage as the ones that have elements under their will! I accept nothing less!

“Alright!!! By the power vested in me by this fucking institution, I, Raasami, hereby accept all six of you under my wing!” Raasami smiled proudly.

All of us cheered. Class of the Unfortunate? Depends on who looks, I guess! Everyone congratulated each other. They even started including me! I was invited to also sit on the front row, right beside Gweyr who threw her arm around me and savagely shook me.

Amidst the joy and new friendships being born, I saw that mournful look on Raasami’s face again as he looked at us. Just what secret are you hiding?

0