[Vol.2] Episode XX: Distant Memory
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This story follows Yamazumera’s perspective.

 

I soared to the sky. Upward. More. Even higher. Beyond the highest clouds where the moon shines unobstructed from view. Where the stars beyond the veil of this planet shine down with majesty.

I can feel Ayre’s heartbeat. It’s faint, but still beating. Despite my joy in his progress, I can’t help but worry about his physical state. I did not lie when I told him I felt a motherly connection to him. Part of me wishes that it was untrue. My fingers trembled as his skin crumbled after a light touch.

His human body is experiencing a mana decay that would have killed him had he been someone else. Touching any part that has already decayed with even the slightest hint of mana pressure would make it crumble to dust. The decay is spreading as it is. I have to act fast. Ayre, stay with me, I’ll make sure to take care of you.

As I reached the space where no clouds touch, I inhaled deeply. I touched a cloud and its color turned into gold. I gently laid the boy’s body on top of it, allowing him to rest without falling. As a Sky Dragon, the clouds, the air, and everything above fall within my domain. I basked in the bright glow of moonlight, spreading my arms and legs wide as I allowed myself to abandon the mortal form that I have grown fond of.

My human body turned into stone. Cracks start to form all over it as I emerge into the night sky in my Serpentine Dragon body. A snake-like body that stretches for miles and miles, covered in deep-black scales; An underside covered by golden plates of metallic bone much stronger and lighter than any metal known to mortals; A white-silver hair that glows in the presence of moonlight covering my head and trailing my spine; claws that can ravage mountains; and a tail that can whip out cyclones.

I danced in the sky, swimming through the sky as each step created golden clouds that allowed me to walk on air. The mana dances through me like a joyful chorus of millions of kissing hummingbirds. I look at Ayre, resting on the cloud as life slowly trickles away from him. The decay has practically eaten more than half of his body. For anyone else, he would be named dead. I believe I made the right call.

I couldn’t help but remember the moment when I decided to imbue my essence into him. It was just over a month into our training within the inner wilds.

“Hey, Yamazumera, how come you agreed to take care of me? I mean, I get that the Queen is your friend, but I don’t really understand how it comes so easy to you.” Ayre asked me as he ate his Liondeer steak, right after successfully defeating his first monster in the forest.

It feels almost a lifetime ago. You’ve barely aged, yet your heart has gone through more than most other elves in your class.

“Hmm… I have yet to find the answer if I’m being honest. There’s honestly just something about you that makes it easy for me to give my assistance. Almost like I want to help you, see you be safe, you know?” I said, sitting by the fire I made.

“One of the elves mentioned something like that.” He responded.

“Something like what?” I asked.

“Like how me being a Dreamwalker… or Harbinger… draws people to me naturally. It’s something inherent to me that I don’t really have to do anything to get most people to like or trust me.” Ayre said with a defeated tone.

“You sound dissatisfied,” I answered.

At the time, I only saw him as a boy. A human boy. As with all humans, the innate pride and desire for power came as naturally as breathing. I saw nothing but a boy born under special circumstances that would be more beneficial as an ally instead of an enemy. I was deeply mistaken.

“I don’t like it.” He said.

“You don’t? Why not?” I asked.

“I’ve never really been anything out of the fruits of my own labor. In my past, I’ve always had people be nice to me and kind, yet it was only because of my father’s position and influence. It was inherent. Not a quality that I honed or continuously exercise.” Ayre explained, looking at his hand as he slowly balled it into a fist.

“I don’t want to be loved because there’s a supernatural force that urges people to love me. That isn’t me. I had nothing to do with that. I want people to love me, recognize me, and believe in me for who I am! For the things that I do and will do. I want to be someone that makes people happy.” Ayre added.

Instead of the boy sitting by the campfire, instead of the boy that just defeated his first monster, I saw him. The first time that Ayre reminded me of him. The only other human that I saw genuine kindness from:

 

Joaquin Felipe Gregorio, The Great King.

 

By that small fire, he smiled in the same way that Joaquin used to smile. Those curved eyes almost disappear, like upward crescent moons. That shy smile that lacks no authenticity, yet still leaves room for a little bit of doubt in himself. That subtle turn as he breaks eye contact, looking out as if contemplating the very essence of what it is to live.

At that moment, I decided. I decided that this boy will not be left to a fate of being endlessly protected from danger. Naturally, his body is fit and well, yet utterly unfit for the amount of mana that he is constantly allowing himself to utilize. How cruel of a fate is it that the great mystery has given you the role of a Dreamwalker when your own constitution does not support it.

Had I not intervened, his constant use of mana would rob him of his life in less than a year. The type of decay that he would be enduring is cruel. It does not appear in his extremities, it starts in his heart. As he was back then, his heart already showed signs of being affected by mana decay. It would be a robbery to the world if I shall let you succumb to your cruel fate. Allow me to interfere with destiny, Ayre Vasatra.

In the months that followed, I’ve been constantly feeding him with parts of my own flesh. Bits and pieces were cut from my human form’s thigh. As dragon flesh is something that would definitely be hard to consume, I’ve been using foul monster meat to mask both the scent and overwhelming mana that courses through the flesh. The boy is blessed with mana perception one glance is all that it will take for him to wonder.

Before the Cyranic opened its doors, the decay in Ayre’s heart no longer reappeared regardless of the amount of mana that I’ve been making him exert each and every day. I thought he was ready. I underestimated just how much power he can draw. The kid is smart, probably too much for his own good.

As I look at him now, little bits and pieces of flesh will not suffice. I’m sorry, Ayre, you will feel much worse before you feel any better. I rose up to the sky, dancing around in a circular motion until my whole body formed a gigantic ring. Increasing my speed in a quick motion, I took a bite out of my own tail and ripped it out, spraying blood that turns into dust of gold and white into the air.

I almost released a roar from the pain. The bleeding has already stopped as my draconic healing took over. As my dragon tail was detached, I used my lingering control of it to morph its form into something that can fit in Ayre’s mouth. For some reason, the only thing in my mind is a chop of Liondeer steak. I laughed.

I dove toward Ayre, morphing back into my human form, only this time, I currently have no left arm. I have no idea what would happen since this would be the first time that you would be consuming this much flesh. From spoonfuls, you’re jumping to consuming flesh that is almost three times your whole body length. I pray that your will to survive is strong enough.

 

Let me enable you to become someone that makes people happy.

 

I opened Ayre’s mouth and slowly fed him chunks of the Liondeer steak that is my own flesh. Tearing meat is honestly difficult when you only have one hand. I don’t know how long this healing will take. I honestly feel drained. I’ve never felt this drained before.

I tore off pieces of the steak until my teeth and placed them in his mouth. Being made of mana, coming into contact with Ayre’s smoldering mana cloak immediately turned the steak chunks into digestible bits. The physical parts get absorbed by the body almost instantly, playing into the draconic instinct to cling to life, even as detached body parts. The mana parts intermix with his own.

This is where things get complicated. Some parts of Ayre’s own mana are already mixed with my own, yet an absorption at this scale will definitely cause conflict within his body. If I have it right, the mana that I’m having him absorb is more or less four times his own total mana.

If he comes out of this alive, I would have created a beast that can cause fear in the hearts of any mage in this country. The responsibility for his control and discipline will lie within me.

I’m sorry, Ayre. It has to be this much to counteract the fast-spreading decay. I don’t have the luxury of time to slowly subject you to healing magic. Even the greatest healer will see you as a lost cause. Maybe if I — 

“Who is the spirit that lies within my boy!?” I shouted adamantly.

After carefully observing Ayre’s absorption of my flesh, a dormant spirit awakened inside of him.

“Abandon thy hostilities, Great Dragon. Compared to thou, I am but a humble servant. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Ulfr, The Three-Eyed Elkwolf. I reside within the boy’s soul as part of a contract.” The voice spoke from within Ayre.

“I’m pretty sure that you tricked him into accepting your contract, parasite. What are your intentions!?” I shouted, releasing mana pressure.

“I advise that thou does not further damage the boy’s body.”

Shit!! What a scoundrel… Hiding where I can’t annihilate you!

Fear not. I have no ill intentions for the body. My only wish is to roam the land, a fate which my mortal body has been robbed of. Instead, I lie within this remnant of my flesh as an observer.” Ulfr expressed themself.

“As it stands, this boy is the only champion, that I have encountered, capable of hosting the full breadth of my armor’s capabilities. The relationship is symbiotic. Besides I can think of a way where I can help in this endeavor.” Ulfr added.

“Speak,” I commanded firmly.

“When I lived, my infamy is rooted in my capacity to create locks and seals, customized specifically for whatever it is I am to face. I propose to create a seal that will essentially store all of the draconic life force thou have given the boy after it has done its work in mitigating the deadly decay plaguing his body.” Ulfr explained his suggestion.

“Make it so that it continuously leaks into him over the course of 300 days. I do not trust you. If I so much as sense that you’re making use of my life force for yourself, I will do whatever I have to to make sure that your soul does not return to the great mystery.” I threatened the wolf.

It shall be done,” Ulfr replied.

The moon is shining brightly. I can feel myself fading into unconsciousness. I may have bit off more tail than I expected. It’s taking a toll on me. I hope you will be okay when I awaken… Rest well, Ayre Vasatra.

I slumber deeply. No thoughts plaguing my sleeping mind.

“Uhm… Great Dragon?” A familiar female voice called out to me.

I opened my eyes and I’m lying on the ground, a sizeable crater surrounding me.

“Oh! It’s you! Lura! What are you doing here? Where is here, anyway?” I asked, sitting up.

“You’re a couple of ways away from the initial site of the Scorching. The second phase is about to start, would you like me to escort you, Great Dragon, ma’am?” Lura asked shyly, less formal than before.

“Oh, sure I — AYRE!!” I shouted before immediately rocketing up to the sky.

I’m worried. If I fell, that means my control of the golden clouds faded as well! If I as much as scratch the boy, I won’t be able to forgive myself! I rose up to the area where we were. Ayre is not here. He’s not anywhere!

I expanded my senses and attempted to find him. No luck! I crashed back down to the ground. Frantically looking for the boy. The boy! THE BOY!! Where is the boy!?

“Great Dragon! Please, calm down… If it’s your human ward that you’re looking for, please fear not. I already saw him among the other six participants.” Lura mentioned with a fearful smile.

He’s okay… Oh, thank the mysteries…

“Are you okay, Great Dragon?” Lura asked shakingly as I stepped toward her, noticing that I have an arm missing.

“Yeah, I’m okay,” I said with a smile.

“Come on, take me to where the people are. Oh! Call me Yamazumera.” I looked back and said.

The elf smiled and cheerfully skipped forward, leading the way. Show me what you’ve got!

0