Chapter 5 – Experiment
35 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was morning, Robert sat on the bench in the courtyard. Bathed in the sunlight but the light was not hot enough to burn his skin. He closed his eyes while his face was facing the sky.

'Vivian is cute. But my [Lustful] trait didn't trigger yesterday. Why? Is it because she is not attractive from my point of view? My [Intelligent] trait also never triggers when I play chess against Richard. Is it because I have more understanding about chess than him? The only trait that triggers every day is [Gluttonous].' Robert thought.

Robert thought about it for a while and he had some assumptions about how the traits work.

'[Intelligent] didn't trigger either because I have more understanding about something than my opponent or it is working but I just don't realize it. For [Lustful], it didn't trigger either because Vivian is not attractive from my point of view, or my body is not biologically ready to trigger the [Lustful] trait.' Robert thought.

Robert went to Count William's office room then asked him to play chess.

"You want to play chess with me?" William said.

"Yes, Father. Richard never wins against me, I want a better opponent."

"Alright, I'll play with you today."

Count William and Robert played chess together in the courtyard. At first, Robert lost a few games. But it was getting harder for Count William in each game.

'Father is a really strong chess player. Back on Earth my chess Elo rating was just 1500. He can beat me easily. That means his Elo rating is higher than mine. But somehow I can understand his moves better and better in each game. I guess my assumption was right. I need a stronger opponent to activate [Intelligent] trait.' Robert thought.

"It is getting harder for me, you're good at this, Robert," William said.

They played a few more games. In the end, Count William never wins again.

"I lost to a kid, I must have gone senile. Okay, that's it for today. I have work to do." Count William said, then he sighed.

'Well, I can't experiment with [Lustful] trait yet. Only time will tell if my assumption is right or wrong.' Robert thought.

****

Six years later.

[Predator's Potential] ten years' drawback had ended. Robert felt his body become strong all of sudden. This caused Robert to wake up from his sleep because of the sudden surge of power. He checked the system and saw the [Predator's Potential] drawback had gone.

"Finally, the drawback has gone," Robert said.

He did some kickboxing moves to test his body. After he tested it for a while, Robert realized that his speed was actually the same as himself while he was living on Earth.

"So, I'm not getting stronger. But I just got back my original speed and power? Ugh, fine. At least I can increase my power now."

Robert had been experimenting with his traits for the past six years. He realized when he had a sword fight against Richard. He could understand Richard's moves. Unfortunately, his body was too weak to implement the moves. He was either too slow or didn't have enough power to do the moves.

"Let's try hand-to-hand combat and sword fighting against Richard," Robert said.

Robert went to the training ground. There were a lot of training dummies and the ground had no grass. He saw Richard there. Richard was too busy swinging his sword he didn't realize Robert was approaching him.

"Hey, Richard. Let's spar!" Robert shouted.

Richard stopped his move. He looked back and he saw Robert was smiling. He smiled back at him.

"What gives you the confidence to challenge me, Robert? You never win against me all this time." Richard said.

"I feel strong today. I'm gonna beat your ass now. Let's do hand-to-hand combat first," Robert said.

"Alright, don't go cry to Mother if I beat you again today," Richard said.

Robert and Richard readied their stance.

"You're going to use those weird martial arts again? I told you it won't going to work on me."

"Don't underestimate martial arts, Richard. They can save your life if you lose your weapon."

Back on Earth. Robert had learned some martial arts like Kickboxing, Muay Thai, and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. He did that mainly for training his body, so he was not as good as a professional.

They get closer and closer until Robert stopped his advance and threw some low kicks.

'He is faster and his kicks are powerful. Ugh, that hurts my thigh.' Richard thought.

Feeling a bit surprised by his brother's sudden improvement. Richard punched forward aiming for the head. Unfortunately, Robert was faster and he dodged it.

Richard tried to punch him again. But, Robert kept dodging until Richard was so frustrated that he went all out and did a big move. Sadly, Robert dodged it again while he was preparing for a spinning kick. Richard lost his posture because of his big move. He couldn't dodge it and the kick landed right on his face. He had been knocked out while his body was flying across the field. After a while, Richard stood up from the ground.

"Brother, what was that? Why did you become so strong all of a sudden?" Richard said.

"I have been training in secret lately," Robert said.

"So that's the reason I have never seen you train for the past months."

'Sorry Brother, I have lied. I never train at all. You lose because I got my strength back and my experience in martial arts is better.' Robert thought.

"Let's try sword fighting next," Robert said.

"You maybe win in hand-to-hand combat. But I won't let you win this now." Richard said.

"We'll see."

In the end, Robert had lost by a hairbreadth. They both laid down on the ground panting.

****

At dinner time after the spar.

"Father, I also want to have a sword-fighting teacher," Robert said.

"Hmm? Are you sure you don't push your body too much?" William said.

"Don't worry Father, looks like I got stronger. I can fight Richard equally now."

"Is that true, Richard?" William said.

"Yes, Father. I lost the hand-to-hand fight and I barely won the sword fight against him now." Richard said.

"That was surprising. Okay, since your body got stronger I will hire a teacher for you too." William said.

 "It is okay to learn how sword fighting as long as you don't force yourself too much, Robert," Christine said.

****

Later that night.

"Honey, our boy Robert seems better than before. His skin is not pale anymore. I think the strange illness was gone." Christine said.

"After our children were born. I have stopped doing the Duke's request. I think God must have forgiven my sins." William said.

"What are you saying, honey. You have no choice but to do his request. If only we didn't borrow the money from him back then."

"That was the biggest mistake that I have done in my entire life. I shouldn't have trusted that snake. Anyway, let's forget it. The most important thing is both of our sons are healthy and talented."

****

The next week.

In the training field. A man wearing a light armor set was standing in front of Robert.

"Okay, my name is Randy. From today, I will be your sword-fighting teacher. If you don't know, I'm one of your father's best knights." Randy said.

He picked up two wooden swords and threw the other one to Robert.

"I will teach you the basics of sword-fighting. For the advanced part, you can learn it in the academy later."

"Why do you only teach the basics, Mr. Randy?" Robert said.

"Because everybody has a different sword style. If I teach you more than the basics, you'll be learning my sword style and that is bad. Because my style may not be suited for you. You should explore which sword style is the best for you in the academy. Well, that is if you choose the combat class. Okay, first I will teach you about footwork."

Randy readied his stance.

"Normally, I use rapier as my weapon, but there is no wooden rapier. So, I'll use this for the moment."

He demonstrated his footwork to Robert. Robert felt like he had seen this footwork somewhere.

'It is similar to fencing footwork. But, this footwork is better because it was made for actual combat instead of sport.' Robert thought.

"This footwork is suited for most swords except the heavy sword. You should try it too," Randy said.

Robert tried to do it, but he failed.

'Right, just because I can understand it with [Intelligent] trait doesn't mean I can do it instantly.' Robert thought.

Robert trained with Mr. Randy for a long time. Surprisingly he could do all the basic moves and footwork the first day he learned it.

"Good! You're a genius! You understood all the basics already. This is the first time in my whole life to see someone learn how to strike, parry, and counter-attack decently in a single day. With this, the only thing you need is perfecting your moves," Randy said.

"Thank you for the compliment, teacher," Robert said.

"Okay, that's it for today. We'll continue the training next week. Don't forget to exercise your body to increase your speed, stamina, and power."

"Yes, teacher."

****

Inside Robert's room.

"That was exhausting. I'm tired." Robert said.

He went to his bed and slept for the night.

3