Chapter 1: Backstories are boring, but necessary.
271 6 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Day 1

Nobody likes long introductions before the story starts. They’re boring and keep you away from the juicy bits of the story. Unfortunately, they’re rather necessary for letting the reader get to know the characters. Here’s the short version. I was some guy, and I was walking down the street, and then I thought “Hey, wouldn’t it be cool if I suddenly went into another world and was totally overpowered and saved it from being taken over by the demon lord and shit?” Pretty unoriginal thought, I know. Anyway, a portal opened up in the middle of the street and my dumb ass stared at it for roughly two seconds before going “YOLO” and jumping through it. Well, I tried to. Remember how it was in the middle of the street? Well, streets happen to be the natural habitat of cars. Crazy, right? No one ever gets to other worlds by being hit by a car, though. You have to get hit by a truck. Lucky for me, there was a truck speeding toward right where I was going. Truck hits me, half the bones in my body break, I go flying through the portal, portal closes, and I land in an isekai world. Simple and easy, 11/10 would recommend… Not really.

I landed on a rock. Around me there was a forest and a creek and more big rocks. If I had been younger I might’ve been really excited to try and climb the rocks. Sad to say, I was not younger AND half the bones in my body were broken. Standing next to me was this guy with glowing eyes and colorful wavy antigravity hair. He just stares at me. Then he bursts out laughing. Roaring laughter. Tears in his eyes, arms to his sides, fell to the ground crying laughing. I just lie there, bleeding. Eventually he calms down, stands up, meets my eyes, chuckled a little, and said…. nothing. He just started laughing again. 

After awhile, it felt like an eternity even though it was probably only a few minutes, he finally calmed down. He wiped a tear from his eye and said “I’ve opened a lot of portals to Earth and gotten a lot of humans to come over here, but none have had an entrance quite  as dramatic as yours. I made a grunt that I hoped conveyed “Thanks, I guess.” It’s rather hard to talk with bones piercing your lungs. I was definitely dying. “I normally don’t do this” he said, “but I’ll make an exception for you, Mr. Stuntman. I’ll give you a new body since your current one is….. uh… broken.” At the time I didn’t really care what he did, as long as he made the pain stop. I’d never even broken a bone before, so I was really not ready for this. “Since I’m giving you a new body, I’ll let you choose any race you want. Other than human. Being a human again would be boring, don’t you think?” No, I don’t think. Being a human again would’ve been great. Unfortunately, I wasn’t really in a position to negotiate. 

“Alright, here are your options.” He ran his finger through my blood and used it to write the world elf on the ground. “You can be an elf..” He kept on writing. “A fairy, a dryad, a dragon, a fish person, a snake person, a beast kin, a demon, a dwarf, or an ogre. Point to the one you want.” I, through sheer effort and will power, moved my hand two inches to point at the word closest to me. It was elf. “An elf! Actually, you might not want to be an elf. You’d have a hard time getting into an elf village, they’re not very welcoming to outsiders. Most human settlements don’t accept elves either. I’d choose anything else.” Why’d you even write it then?!?! Obviously, I was still too hurt to talk, so I just silently cursed him and pointed to beast kin. “Oh, uh, you don’t want to be a beast kin either. There’s no settlement that accepts beast kin within 100 miles of here.” Really man? I pointed to fairy, not because I wanted to be a fairy, but because it required the least amount of movement and I felt like I was going to pass out at any moment. He thought for a moment and then said, “You can’t be a fairy. I forgot how to turn people into them. Pick something else.”

This guy…. Is he just doing this so he can watch me suffer? Looking back on it now, that’s definitely what he was doing.

Blood dripped into my eyes, blinding me. I used the last of my willpower to move my finger just enough to point at something else. The man, who I could no longer see, said, “Demon. Good choice.” It was at that point that I realized I was positively fucked. 

Some time later, I woke up with pitch black skin, two little horns on my head, a tail, and glowing white eyes. The man was gone. What do you think happened after that? I got super OP magic and a harem of cute girls? I used my newfound demon strength to save a passing noble from monsters and got adopted into the noble family as a reward? I joined a demon tribe and helped them defend themselves against the evil neighboring tribe? Well, I’ll give you a hint. All of those are wrong. I’ll tell you what I actually did: I… got hungry and killed a village of farmers. Then I ate them.

You might be thinking, “How could you do that? You used to be a human! Eat something else! Don’t murder people!” And I get that. I really do, but the issue is that demons have very strong instincts to kill and eat intelligent life and I happen to be a demon now. I can’t help it! They all look so tasty. 

So I went on like that for about 60 years, killing people, getting stronger, rinse and repeat. Then, about a day ago, I was rampaging through a village like I normally do when 30 armed magicians popped out of the houses and ambushed me. I killed like 4 of them before they beat me down. The thing about us demons is that we’re nigh un-killable. Really tough stuff. So instead of killing demons, you have to seal them in items with high magic power. Magic swords, enchanted instruments, and ancient spell books. 

And that is the story of how I got here. Sitting in a glass box labeled “do not touch, dangerous” underground in a musty storage room in this castle. Now, how exactly do I get out of here?

12