Chapter 18 Unexpected Guest
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 18

Unexpected Guest

Stood at the bar getting the next round, William’s head turned as the door opened, and in walked the man from Leoni’s office with the racy neck tattoo, holding a small cardboard box.

The bar dropped to a quiet murmur, spotting William the man said, “I was sent to bring this here, where do you want it?”

The men around the entrance backed up as William walked forwards, “how do we know what’s in it?” said William cautiously.

With a raised brow the man said innocently, “it’s Mathew’s belongings, Boss said the rest will be sent soon.”

Mathew raced through the bar and grabbed the box, grinning at the tall man with the racy tattoo of a lady on his neck, he said happily, “thank you Greg, did you get all the photos?”

The tall man smiled with a look of affection, making William slightly jealous, “I hope so. I grabbed everything that looked important.”

Looking up at William’s glare, the man’s eyes shifted to just behind his ear and his entire face brightened into a broad smile, he yelled, “James! Is that you James?”

Turning round, William saw a look of relief cross James’s face just before he smiled back, getting up he came and shook Greg’s hand. “Hi how’s it going? I see you still have your lady.”

Standing up straighter Greg replied, “a bets a bet. Although my Ma hates her, she made a dress for her out of one of my Da’s old bow ties. I look like a right pillock when I go over for Sunday lunch.”

James laughed brightly, “how are they and your sisters? You still making them cry?”

His chest puffing up even more, Greg said, “Ma and Da and my sisters are great. But I couldn’t take the looks they gave me, so I’m not out and about anymore, Boss let me become office bitch, moneys not so good, but I sleep a hell of a lot better.”

Slapping the tall man on the back, James gave William a look and receiving a subtle nod in reply, said, “you fancy a drink Greg? It’s on me.”

Taking the three pints back with him, William got back to their table just as Mathew took out an old battered photo.

William and Luke leaned over and saw a young couple with a small child stood between them out front of Hampton Court Palace.

With a sad smile Mathew said, “that’s me and my parents, it’s the last photo I have of us all. Would you believe I was 7 there?”

Smiling the watching pair hummed, then William said, “they were decent looking people, I’m guessing they weren’t in the life?”

Mathew shook his head, “no they were normal good accountants, unlike me.”

Wrapping an arm round Mathew’s shoulders William said, “your a good accountant, you just chose the wrong client.”

“How did you end up working for Boss Leoni?” asked Luke.

Looking at the photo a tear ran down Mathew’s cheek, “it was all because of my parents in a way.”

Tightening his grip for a moment, William said, “you don’t have to tell us if you don’t want to.”

Looking up at the pair Mathew said, “it’s ok I would like you to know, at least then you’ll understand how much of an idiot I am.”

Confused, Luke asked, “how does this make you an idiot?”

With a self deprecating laugh Mathew said, “even the start should be enough for any sensible person to understand what Boss does.”

Taking a deep steadying breath Mathew said, “about a month after this photo was taken, my parents were innocent by standers in a drive-by aimed at taking out Boss Leoni, three others were killed and a dozen more were injured, including Leoni himself. I only survived because I was so short the bullets went over my head.”

Tears fell silently from Mathew’s eyes and he turned into William’s waiting embrace, with a sniff he pulled back and tried to smile at the pair, “I was sent to an orphanage, I was there for a month before I ran away and tried to kill Boss.”

Luke looked like he wanted popcorn he was so in grossed, “I know you didn’t kill him, but did you get him?”

Looking at Luke’s honest interest Mathew laughed through his tears, “no but I got close enough that his body guards took a damn good beating.” He said with a little remembered joy.

“Boss was the one who caught me, and asked why I wanted to kill him.” Mathew’s head lowered and he tried to hide his tears, “I screamed at him he was the reason my parents were dead, he told me, it wasn’t his fault it was the people who tried to kill him. When I asked if he knew who had done the shooting, as I was going after them next. Boss said, “your parents can rest easy, those bastards won’t be hurting anyone else.””

Looking up at the two strong men, Mathew’s eyes held a mix of pleading for them to understand and guilt. “At the time I was happy, I guess that is why Boss thought I would be good at all this?”

Hugging Mathew again, William said, “it is only natural to hate the people who killed your parents, don’t beat your self up over that.”

Emotion deepened Mathew’s voice as he asked, “would you wish death on people if they killed your parents?”

William and Luke both shifted a little uneasy, and William answered for them, “that is a little hard for us to answer, neither of us remember our parents, I was a street urchin and Luke...” Not sure what to reveal William stopped talking.

Luke said openly, “I was taken at a young age by some very bad people, who taught me a very skewed view of the world, a view I would still have now, if it wasn’t for William here.” Happiness bloomed in every feature of Luke’s face, he grabbed William and hugged him fiercely, “I love you buddy.”

Smiling William said back, “I love you too Luke.”

Blushing under William’s other arm, Mathew said, “are you sure you two don’t have a deeper relationship?”

With a loud laugh Luke said, “I wish! But unfortunately William feels too much like a brother now to even chase when drunk.”

His ears turning slightly red, William jovially pushed Luke away and said, “thanks bro, I don’t want your ass either.”

Trying to change the topic back to Mathew, William asked, “if Boss took you back to the orphanage, how did you end up working for him? You even said he was in your graduation photo.”

“You remembered that?” Asked Mathew, he smiled shyly at William’s nod, “When Boss saw the state of the orphanage he sent some money to help, and ended up becoming my sponsor, we would meet up from time to time and over the years we got close. When I told Boss I wanted to be an accountant like my parents, he got really excited and pushed me to do business accounts. After uni I just naturally went to work for him. Now do you see why I’m an idiot?”

William and Luke looked at each other and William said tentatively, “sorry but yes, you are kind of dumb on this one.”

“Wow way to take it easy on the kid!”

Knowing he had said the wrong thing, William glared at Luke who mockingly glared back, Mathew’s light happy laugh brought both heads round. “William I love your honesty.”

To be put in the same sentence as ‘love’ by Mathew, almost stopped William’s heart. Smiling he said, “I’ll always try my best to be honest with you.”

They spent the rest of the evening happily chatting, and Mathew got to know more of the people at the bar.

1