Chapter 25 Rejected
8 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 25

Rejected

While they travelled back in the car, Mathew’s mood seemed to even out and he talked normally to Barry and William. When they got back to second shot, Mathew went straight up to the flat, with a smile that still didn’t seem to reach his eyes, he said, “meet you in the bar later.” And disappeared inside.

Going to his office to finish his work, William mainly stared blankly at his computer. Giving up he dragged himself up to the flat, and was greeted with silence, his heart ached.

Just as he was thinking maybe he should stay at home, Mathew came up in the lift. His cheeks were a little rosy with alcohol and he was dragging a suitcase, he said in a happy voice, “you done for the day?”

William smiled as best he could and lied, “yep all done. What’s all that?”

“It’s my clothes, Greg just dropped it off, I’ll just put it in your room then we can go get a drink together.” That said, Mathew disappeared into the bedroom for a second.

Trying to pull himself together, William stood by the lift. He didn’t even bother to change, just going down in his suit.

Smiling happily Mathew said, “ready?”

William nodded and pushed the button for the bar.

The bar was as lively as ever. They found Luke sat at their usual table by the lift, talking to some of the men in very animated tones.

As the men saw William they all yelled, “Boss!”

Giving them all a nod William sat down heavily, all the eyes turned to Mathew who smiled with a shrug.

James went over and pulled Mathew away to a group of men. Staring at his hands, William could clearly hear him asking Mathew, “what happened to Boss?”

Before he could hear Mathew’s answer though, Luke asked him almost the same question, “What’s wrong with you?”

Looking up to see it was just Luke near by, William said in a low whisper, “Luke I’m losing my marbles. How is liking someone who doesn’t like you back this painful?”

Patting his friend on the shoulder, Luke said, “I can place him as far away from you as possible if that would help.”

Jumping to his feet, William slammed his hands down on the table and roared, “No!”

Every person in the bar stared at them in fearful silence.

Waving his hands at the crowd in a placating way, Luke said, “don’t worry go back to your drinks, we’re just having a dumb disagreement.”

William half smiled and half grimaced, “football, right!?”

When everyone had turned back to their drinks, William said in a small voice, “I’m sorry Luke, thank you for trying to help this fool.”

Putting his arm round his friend’s shoulders, Luke said soothingly, “You are not a fool, your just very new to love.”

His chin resting in his hands William looked over at Mathew, “I just really like him.”

“I know you do buddy, and your sure you have no chance?”

His heart aching William replied, “He was very adamant he is straight.”

“Yeah but a week ago so were you.”

With a humming noise William put his head down on the table with a thunk.

“Maybe you should go back up stairs, I think your beginning to freak out the men.”

Seeing the glances being thrown his way, William stood up, “your probably right.”

He turned round to leave, but at just that moment; the door to the bar was thrown open. A loud group of sixteen ladies walked in, in skimpy black dresses, one of them wearing a sash saying ‘bride to be.’

Every head in the bar turned their way and many of the smaller men backed away nervously.

Obviously already drunk, the ladies had no fear of the rough looking men around them.

Not quite as far gone as her friends, a tall buxom lady said in a loud voice that carried in the hush, “Is this a gay bar, it seems to be full of men?”

The Bride said in an even louder voice, “I don’t care, I’m already off the market.” She laughed loudly and went straight to the bar.

George gave William a look, who nodded and made his way over.

The men all parted to let the ladies through on one side and William on the other.

Reaching the bar at the same time, the ladies said to each other then to George, “shots? Yeah shots. Fifteen shots of Sambuca please.”

The one out front leaned on the bar and stared at George, “Wow you are a serious fitty. When do you get off tonight?”

With a chuckle, George raised his hand, showing his wedding ring and replied, “Sorry love, I’m taken.”

Slurring slightly the lady replied good naturedly, “Oh that’s a shame, they’re a lucky person.”

The lady to her right spotted William and pulling her friend’s arm said, “Sheila, look at this one...”

Sheila turned and her eyes landed on William’s chest, then travelled up to his face. Trying to not scare the ladies William smiled softly.

Sheila and her friend were not subtly hitting the rest of the group to get their attention, who one by one turned to stare at William.

Her drunken eyes shining, Sheila said, “Hello big boy, are you taken too? Or would you like a drink with us?”

William couldn’t help it, he blushed thinking, ‘I wish I was taken by Mathew.’ and smiled shyly.

The ladies all gasped collectively, before William could say anything, several of his men said encouragingly,

“He’s not taken.”

“Boss go have a drink with the lovely ladies.”

A slender blond lady said excitedly, “did you hear that ladies? He’s the boss too. Rich, good looking and shy, just my type.”

Taking hold of William’s muscular arms and waist, they steered him to the bar where their shots were lined up.

The tall lady said, “Bar keep one more shot please.”

George looked to William, “whisky Boss?”

Looking at the ladies around him and feeling depressed at being rejected, William thought what the hell.

“George make it a double.”

The ladies cheered around him, and they all downed their drinks as one.

While the ladies cheered again and ordered more shots, William moved over to the lady at the back in a longer black dress, who wore less makeup and didn’t drink a shot. William glared at her and they moved off to the side.

In a stern but polite voice William said, “Hello detective Green, what can we help you with?”

“Mr Foster, you know why I’m here.”

“My men have nothing to say to you, or any of your colleagues, now kindly leave my bar.”

“You know I had to come.”

With a sigh William replied, “I know detective, but you know you are putting us all at risk by asking, we are all trying our best to be good members of society. So I ask you again, please leave my bar, unless you want more murders to solve.”

With an understanding smile the detective said, “Mr Foster don’t hesitate to call me if there is anything you can’t handle.”

William replied sadly, “if that happens, it’s already too late, but thank you detective Green.”

“have a nice night Mr Foster.” Said the detective and quietly left.

Going back to the bar, William said to George under his breath, “do a sweep for bugs, I don’t want to take any chances.” Then in a loud carrying voice said, “Shots for everyone!”

All the men and ladies grabbed a shot and drank together



1