Chapter 14- Night of Fights and Frights
33 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Sorry about this being a little late, I had to rewrite a bit and may have gotten distracted near the end. My bad! Enjoy the chapter!

 

 

Screams.

 

The same roar rang out in my head as I turned my gaze to the crack of a whip against the flesh, people bound by rope and gagged as blood spilled from their eyes, and my vision shifted to a small apartment.

 

Again, screams.

 

But not the same multitude but a multitude that toppled it all, A dingy space, marked with mud and splotches of different colored liquids all over. Smoke filled my lungs as I turn to the scene of a woman, her hair wet, tears running down her copper skin as she cries out, setting the room ablaze.

 

“It’ll all be over soon. You don’t have to see this hell!”

 

She screamed from a small balcony but even with the manic in her eyes, her voice was clear… refined even.

 

She wasn’t speaking to anyone directly, out in the sky but rather I saw the figure… a small one, someone curled up in a ball, their skin covered in burns of several degrees. They covered their mouth, but the smoke was getting the better of them. 

 

I look around the room as fast as I could and kicked down the door, yelling at the top of my lungs “RUN!”

 

Again, the scene changes before I could even adjust, I kicked some rotund guy to the ground into a pile of trash before I hear a violin, and with just a blink. I stared at the familiar hooded figure before me.

 

In a room darkened with only the faint embers of candlelight to be seen, I could still make out his shadowed figure. The sounds of heavy rain were accompanied by thunder and in the middle of a storm, … Hiko, laid my head against his chest while a blanket was wrapped around the two of us. 

 

“Oh sh-, sorry about that. Just… shhh? Go to sleep, it’ll be over soon. I’ll just be out for a little bit.”

 

“Mm… you need to sleep.” (Makoto)

 

“I’ll just be out for a little bit; it won’t take long. I’ll be back before you know it.” (Rinko)

 

“You promised… stay, Rinko.” (Makoto)

 

“Oh, alright. My little king may have his request granted.” (Rinko)

 

Although they were an odd assortment of visions to anyone it was like a warm blanket to me. The only thing about it was that when I normally saw things a sense of reassurance washed over me, that things were going to be alright. 

 

The sounds of water running from the faucet, something being chopped and oil sizzling was no use against the unwavering glare I was receiving from the tall figure before me. 

 

I don’t know if it was because of me but she, again was just as confused as I was so I found this to be a normal reaction if we both experienced that. Samui was getting help from Atsui in the kitchen, so I didn’t really have any way of escape from it.

 

Oddly enough, I didn’t really feel the need to. It felt like watching a baby pout at you… a scary baby….

 

I don’t really know! I just had to keep up the act!

 

With a smile on my face and a hand on Yuuma’s small furry back, just running through his white hair 

 

“How was your day?” (Makoto)

 

“... Fine….” (Yugito)

 

Okay, good start…

I could’ve sworn she was mumbling something under her breath but with the stare down I was getting from her, I simply chose to ignore it.

 

There was just something about a person sitting down with a furrowed face and crossed arms that made it seem like they didn’t want to talk…

 

So, what did I do?

 

I kept going…. 

 

You guys had so much to say, at least say something!

 

*Click*

 

***

 

“Something.” (Hibiki)

 

“Fuck you.” (Makoto)

 

“If I say it, Kohaku is probably gonna be feral.”

 

“Don’t!” (Kohaku)

 

“Damn, the two of you met Jinchuriki earlier than I expected. Well, Hotaru was within expectation.” (Hibiki)

 

“See, I’m amazing!” (Hotaru)

 

“Basic bitch, read a cover and went for it.” (Hibiki)

 

“He’s a good kid! Besides there’s never been an evil series named after the main character!” (Hotaru)

 

“For all you knew that fucker could’ve been a psychopath. Also, Puella-” (Hibiki)

 

“STOP! YOU DEMON! I BET YOU ENJOYED SEASON 3 OF SEVEN-” (Hotaru)

 

“THIS MOTHER-” (Hibiki) *Snap*

 

“.... Look at what you’ve done.” (Kohaku)

 

“Um…” (Makoto)

 

“They’ll be- Oh, they’re leaving…” (Kohaku)

 

“Should I keep going?” (Makoto)

 

“I think so…” (Kohaku)

 

*Click*

 

***

 

“So…, how long have you been friends with Samui-nee? Was she any different than now?” (Makoto)

 

 “We’ve been friends since we were kids. Samui has always been the quiet type, that’s also the reason why I’m still wondering how Atsui became Atsui.”  Yugito let out a deep sigh like a disappointed mother.

 

I almost let out a laugh but decided otherwise since the mood was just starting to lighten up.  just reminded me of how Hiko looked the exact same way whenever we’d find Rinko in a random place. 

 

It was then that we were both hit by the faint savory smell stemming out from the kitchen. Yugito smiled a little and it wasn’t much longer before Atsui made his way out of the kitchen with a large plate of karaage chicken!

 

***

 

YOU CAN’T BE SERIOUS! AW, Lucky… (Kohaku)

 

 ***

 

 

We got up to help set up the table for Nabemono, this was also where Atsui and Yugito weren’t allowed to help. Samui was very clear on never asking for their help with this for some reason.

 

 Dinner flew by without any trouble as we all managed to have some small talk, mainly all three of them talking about missions. Just listening to their laughter was reminding me how it was like before… it didn’t really sit right with me to listen in, so I decided to excuse myself and started to collect the dishes from the table.

 

 Shortly, Samui joined me, and we took the plates to the sink and started washing them off. That’s when my ears perked as I turned around to see both Atsui and Yugito just moving to the living room.

 

“Will you be heading up to bed? You’ll have a big day ahead of you.” (Samui)

 

“Hmm? About what?” (Makoto)

 

“I and Atsui are having a longer break this time, so we’ll have more time to spend with you.” As I decided to help, Yuugito held Yuuma for me while I was here. The little guy looked comfy while Yugito puckered her face… It was strange but whatever.

 

“Really?!” (Makoto) 

 

Finally! We’d get to go shopping, play around and-

 

That was when the bane of my existence was brought up once again.

 

“Yup. maybe you’ll earn the sword this time around.” (Samui)

 

The smile that appeared on my face, vanished in an instant.

 

If I were to try again, It would my 4th attempt of what we’re calling The Trail of the Blade. Catchy, right? 

 

You’d think it’d be two ninjas going at it, clashing sword to sword, right?!

 

 I wish it was, but my scrawny body wouldn’t be able to compete. Maybe I could get it when I’m older. This was just an absolutely atrocious game of tag. 

 

As for who’s involved? I never know. At this point, I might attack a civilian.

 

But this time, I swore it was going to be different. I was not going down without a fight!

 

When I snapped out of it, I was heading up the stairs while Yuuma was hopping up from behind me, barking. 

 

“I placed him on my head while we looked down upon the fool that dared make this game. 

 

“Until 8 pm tomorrow, we are enemies from this point onward.” (Makoto)

 

“B-but-” (Atsui)

 

“I’ll have your head on a pike! FEAR ME!” I ran up the stairs, holding down Yuuma. Only hearing a peal of small laughter in the distance.

 

The fools.

 

This was war and I wasn’t taking any prisoners! I walked to my room, slowly closed the door and simultaneously heard the voices of my two partners in crime. 

 

"It’s time?" (???)

 

<It’s time?>

 

“It is. Tomorrow, we strike!” (Makoto)

 

***

 

Yugito’s POV

(Pre- Chapter 13)

 

I finished reporting to the Raikage, he looked stressed, but it wasn’t my place to say. Even as a Jinchuriki. 

 

I walked back out into the snow after collecting the ryō from my mission. Making sure that my cloak covered up my body and my hood wouldn’t just blow off in the wind. The snowfall was consistent but not an unusual sight up here.

 

A quiet day.

 

As usual… not to say it was a bad thing.

 

It’s just, not like I hoped.

 

(You’re doing well, Yugito.) (???)

 

(Thank you, Two-tails. There’s still much more to be done.) (Yugito)

 

(... I suppose…) (???)

 

(Pfft. You two are seriously going on like that? What a bore, how about we do something fun?) (???)

 

((Who-?!)) (Yugito+ ???)

 

(“Hey Yu, turn”) (???+???)

 

“- around!” (???)

 

I hastily grew out my nails and thrusted my hand forward when I saw a rush of silver and the loud clang echoed out. Everyone around us just stopped and looked at us.

 

Oh no…

2