Chapter 15- Your Move
29 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

*CLANG*

 

All it took he one sound, one moment, one move brought me back to training as a kid again…

 

From that one sound came the turning faces of multiple cloaked figures, small children, teenagers, adults, and the elderly, the area just stopped in its tracks.

 

 A deep pit in my heart was being torn at, I knew the consequences, I knew they were watching but I was doing better now… at least I thought…

 

'She’s a monster! 

 

St- Stay away! We don’t want you here!

 

Scary!

 

You’ll serve as a powerful weapon…'

 

(Everything I worked for could crumble from this single excha-) (Yugito)

 

*CLANG*

 

There it was again.

 

And it happened again, and again. It felt like everything was about to cave in, I wanted to run. An escape, just some way out.

 

Everything darkened around me, shadows weaved over the building, painting over people, leaving them as black figures with piercing white eyes and eerie smiles, blue liquid spilling from their mouths onto the snow.

 

(GRR- FOCUS UP, YUGITO!)

 

Just like that, in a singular spark, everything returned to normal like a ripped-off band-aid. I looked my perpetrator straight in the eyes and saw a familiar face, another clash.

 

His figure almost met my height, his green eyes looked particularly bright today as he simply smiled while mouthing the words.

 

Follow. My. Lead. 

 

Just like that one clash of his sword against my nails went on for 10, 15 minutes. He flourished his sword, back-to-back so smoothly like the flow of water while each hit impacted with the same intensity. The brother of someone I admired, Atsui just smiled and kept moving about. Somehow my body kept in tandem like a dance.

 

I felt fewer shivers from the cold but as we went on, all I could do was keep my eyes on the man smiling before me.

 

“Please do give it up to our wonderful Jinchuriki and me!” Pushing my head down, we took a bow.

 

A slow clap grew around the two of us from the impromptu audience and he took my hand as we ran off. My mind was coming to a blank, but I didn’t take my hand out of his.

 

'Warm…'

 

We stopped by the hospital, where Samui was sitting. One leg over the other, she just looked on out the window. I honestly think we were all in silent admiration for how cool she was.

 

It wasn’t very long before we had some small talk and the medical-nin made their way out with a woven straw bin with holes in the odd shape of a puffier clam shell, later introduced to me as a macaron.

 

This was when I remembered that both of them weren’t going to be on missions as often for the time being. Something about taking care of a kid.

 

I still couldn’t quite see why they were so adamant about doing so but I was invited to dinner, so I wasn’t hard-pressed on declining. I went on more missions with Atsumi with the both of us being graduates of the same year.

 

It was during May last month, that Samui asked me for details about The Peak over lunch at my place. That was the first and last time I was going to let anyone else know about it, but I guess I’m telling this thing. 

 

Apparently, they made a pact of some sort with someone, I still don’t know all the details. 

-BZZT-

 

***

 

“D-did it shut off?” (Kohaku)

 

“Uhm…” (Makoto)

 

“GOD DAMMIT, - - -! TALK ABOUT YOURSELF YA LITTLE SHIT!” (Hibiki)

 

“I THOUGHT WE COULDN’T SAY-” (Kohaku)

 

“Ugh, It’s too soon…” (Hibiki)

 

“What?” (Makoto)

 

“Forget it, keep the focus on you!” (Hibiki)

 

“It’s not like you did!” (Hibiki)

 

“READ THE FUCKING SIGN ON THE WALL!” (Hibiki)

 

“...Two... oh…, So this grows too?” (Makoto)

 

*Sigh* “Yeah, so you can’t just be all willy nilly about it, alright?” (Hibiki)

 

“Then what about the others?” (Hotaru)

 

“Ugh, too many questions, nice try though.” (Hibiki)

 

“Shoot!” (Hotaru)

 

*Click*

 

“...” (Kohaku)

 

“...” (Hotaru)

 

“...Sorry…” (Makoto)

 

“Pfft! HA HA!” (Hibiki)

 

“AHAHA!” (Kohaku)

 

“HAHAHA!” (Hotaru)

 

“S-so, you’re not in trouble?” (Makoto)

 

“Ah, who knows. I’ll just worry about it later. We still got a lot to do!” (Hibiki)

 

“So, no more rules?” (Kohaku)

 

“No, we need those, thank you very much.” (Hibiki)

 

“I should keep going.” (Makoto)

 

“AH! SHIT, RIGHT!” (Hotaru)

 

“Remember. You’re the focus, your majesty.” (Kohaku)

 

*Click*

 

***

 - Makoto's POV-

The next day, bright and early. I changed into my outfit as I’ve been thoroughly ranted to about how people wear the same outfit every day, so I do own ten sets of the same clothes.

 

An oversized white hoodie lined with a pattern of branches going up the arms, khaki pants, and the most familiar item to me, a custom pair of boots made of a high-quality sheepskin with soft fleece on the inside.

 

I’ve been reminded severely on several occasions to call them WUGGS because you could probably guess, had his pride wounded. 

 

Out of my drawer, I looked over the two patched-up holster bags lined up side by side. One black rectangular kunai holder I strapped while the other was a brown shuriken pouch with sewn-in flowers on the hood that I attached to my belt.

 

Already with the expectation of what I needed to do, I made sure the blue markings I painted on my face last night dried. They’re the inverse of the Inuzuka’s clan so the two fangs are facing outward instead.

 

I placed a mask over my nose and mouth, fully knowing that I’d be using it again. I took a look over myself in the mirror. Yuuma was still lazing about when I heard the monotonous tone in the form of a dim golden sphere.

 

<You could’ve let me find out what they’d do…>

 

“It’ll be fine, we already got the plan.” (Makoto)

 

<If you say so, I’ll be watching but I’ll only let you know when you’re in mortal danger. >

 

“Do you mind if I ask if you came up with a name yet?” (Makoto)

 

<...>

 

I’ve only had access to the system a little over the month I’ve been in Kumogakure. Not so much before then.

 

“I-I don’t mean to rush you.” (Makoto)

 

<No, you’re fine. I just don’t really have a way of saying it as you are now.>

 

“Oh…” (Makoto)

 

<Is there anything else you’d like to ask? >

 

“You’re serious about me not being the only one, right? This isn’t some divine punishment?” (Makoto)

 

<...>

 

“...” (Makoto)

 

<Not to my knowledge but it’s not impossible, I’ll try to find out more. >

 

“Right…” (Makoto)

 

<...Makoto, you look very cute today. >

 

“I-I do?!” (Makoto)

 

<You’ll do great, just trust your instincts. You’re perfect, alright?>

 

“Y-YOU CAN’T JUST SAY THAT!” (Makoto)

 

<Is that so? Humans are quite confusing; your face is red…>

 

“AHH, FORGET IT! I’M GOING!” (Makoto)

 

I shut the door and started running down the hall. Then I remembered I needed Yuuma so I took a breath before walking back down the hall before overhearing the end of a conversation.

 

<Watch over him after this, won’t you?>

 

“Of course, don’t forget I gave my word before you, stupid.” (???)

 

The door opened before I got to it as Yuuma opened the door. Well, I guess it wouldn’t be right to say Yuuma.

 

(Ready, Riri?) (Makoto)

 

(Of course, I’ll rest until you need me.) (Riri)

 

She walked over to me as I bent down and had my hand on the ground before she slumped over, and I place Yuuma on the top of my head.

 

“It’s go time.” (Makoto)

 

After a silent breakfast with Atsui, Samui headed off to finish up something while the two of us made our trek down the mountain in pure silence. I guess we weren’t taking chances with hitting civilians this time around.

 

Being in contact with Atsui was alright, as long as I wasn’t looking him in the eyes. 

 

Over time, totally not being piggybacked by my temporary enemy…

 

Ahem, anyways… we made it down the summit and Atsui had me wait for fifteen minutes as he went out into the forest and came back, only to simply lean against a tree.

 

“Well?” (Makoto)

 

“What are you waiting for?” (Atsui)

 

“For you to actually hide…?” (Makoto)

 

“This time is going to be a little different. There is a genin team out there who’s been a little overconfident in their abilities to function as a team. So, I was asked by my friend for a little help, and what’s better than taking out two birds with one stone.”

 

“... We’re talking about a genin teams?” (Makoto)

 

“Uh-huh.” (Atsui)

 

“So, three thirteen-year-olds?” (Makoto)

 

“Right. They have rules too if that’s what you want to ask. They can’t use any jutsus, but tools and traps are fully on the table.” (Atsui)

 

“Then for me?” (Makoto)

 

“What, you think you’re any threat?” (Atsui)

 

“...” (Makoto)

 

“You can’t even locate a sword, what do they have to worry about?” (Atsui)

 

“I see… Be prepared to eat your words.” (Makoto)

 

“You think so?” (Atsui)

 

I simply took out my grey scroll from under my sleeve and summoned my bow and quiver of arrows. Sparing a look at Atsui before popping into the forest. Luckily, it was also blanketed with snow, or I’d be a sore thumb.

 

This changed a lot of things, but I wasn’t going to back down. 

 

Dealing with three kids should be interesting…

I activated [Lurk], hoping that I’m not working with any sensors, and crouched down, closed my eyes, and try to work with my second-best sense along with Yuuma, hearing.

 

The pulling of a wire and crunching of snow wasn’t the best to hide along with the familiar smell of parchment, probably for an explosion seal so I had to be cautious. Changing the plan on the fly wasn’t within expectation but it wasn’t the hardest thing to adjust.

 

I did my best to suppress my chakra to Yuuma’s level before using Henge, the transformation jutsu to look just like them. Yuuma rolled off my back and we both gave a look before running further in with our little puppy legs.

 

'Now, let’s see who we’re dealing with. Your move.'

 

*Click*

2