Chapter 21- System Update
32 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

*Click*

 

***

 

In the golden glow of the space, two individuals sat cross-legged upon the rippling water beneath them. One with a pair of short horns and gray-aged skin, white robes with six black tomoe going down until they meet at the sides of his goatee.

 

Across from him was a figure barely visible, flickering in and out. Their figure seems to be changing, ever so slowly while a flat voice flows out of their mouth.

 

The horned man had a shit-eating grin on his face, as he heard the voice become more distinct, from a monotone to become more strained. He watched over his companion, holding their hand that had the consistency of jelly, but as he watches cautiously and receives a shaky nod, a blue glow wraps around his arm.

 

Intertwined, the energy flows into the figure and their form becomes more solid, the feel of flesh was one the older figure savored with a look of solemn as he couldn’t take his eyes off of a symbol engraved into the chest of their ally. 

 

No matter how prominent their appearance was, the branding left on their body was a clear message… no.

 

A blessing and a curse. 

 

With how much the older man has seen, it was the absolute lack of information he possessed on the subject that tortured his mind. But he was well aware of what the consequences would be.

 

After all, he got to watch it in effect firsthand.

 

His partner, however, was not one to take heed of his words. At least that was the case with this game. Now he’s paying for it… 

 

They’re paying for it.

 

The man couldn’t help but listen closely, as the other’s voice gradually lost its robotic nature, becoming gruff. The figure’s appearance flickered once more before they let out a cacophony of coughs. Tightening his grasp, the man looked for any sign of danger before his sight was welcomed by another mark being layered atop the first. 

 

The two seemed to be struggling to overtake the other when the hacking came to a halt. 

 

The honeyed voice he longed to hear again had begun to soothe a scar in his heart.

 

<System Updating…>

 

<25%....50%...69%...75%... 100%>

 

<System Rebooting…>

 

<Greetings, The - - - - - >

 

<Greetings, The - - - - - - >

 

<Greetings, The - - - - - - - - - >

 

<Greetings, The - - - - - - >

 

They turn their gaze upon the holographic screen before them, the older man bellowed out his laughter to the point that the gods may have been able to hear his glee.

 

“Hohoho! Looks like I won!”

 

With an air of levity, the man looked upon the hair up in a dark brown man bun with an undercut, tanned skin, and simple gray robes. A scar ran across the bridge of their nose. 

 

The pouting figure before him moved in for a hug to hide the fiery blush growing across their cheeks. Only to have their arms lifted over their head as what was supposed to be an escape became a full invitation.

 

A soft sensation upon their lips was one they didn’t want to end. But remembering their duty, our system pulled away to a more youthful sight of the person they fell for, one Hagoromo Otsutsuki.

 

The two share one more embrace before the system whispered something into Hagoromo’s ear and took a bite as their hand slowly moved under the robes. 

 

They could make out a tent being pitched, chuckling before vanishing to witness the deeper shade.

 

<Be back soon.>

 

“You-!”

 

In a flash, the system was gone. Leaving Hagoromo to themself. A soft sigh left his lips as stimulated as he was. He was certain, it wasn’t going to be the end of it.

 

***

*Click*

 

“What can I say, There are only a few spaces we could look into right now, It’s a hard job you know!.” (Hibiki)

 

“You could’ve asked Kohaku.” (Hotaru)

 

“... Could I really?.” Hibiki’s eyes narrowed as turn his head over to the rosiness of Kohaku averting his gaze. 

 

“Eh heh heh…. ” Kohaku laughed awkwardly as he scratched the back of his head.

 

Hibiki shook his head before pressing the button on the device.

 

*Click*

***

 

-Hibiki’s POV-

By the time I was relieved of that agonizing surge, holding my head in my hands. I was at a round table not unlike the one we are sitting at.

 

A big difference was the state of disarray. Around the table made out of marble sat three other figures, each person had their eyes shut. Everywhere around us with what little light made its way into the room were cracked stone walls, some of which were wrapped in vines.

 

There was nothing to make out about their figures. Everyone was kept with the same white shroud of light, I checked my hands to see how they were just as featureless. I could make out the general shape but my palm had lost its marks.

 

I couldn’t even feel my nails. I might as well have been made out of clay. The next to stir was the figure on my right, who I would soon learn your majesty himself.

 

From one blank figure to the next, all I got was a long stare before he looked around the room whilst the other two sat up, and spiraling down from the roof was a bright light, dimming down into a small yellow orb.

 

Holding everyone’s attention. A silvery greeting reached our ears.

 

<... You all got here sooner than expected… Since you’re here that means someone went to sleep?>

 

Unable to see the expressions of everyone else, I just stayed as I was. Trying to piece together what just happened in my head was too much of a hassle.

 

“What do you mean by that?” (Kohaku)

 

“...” (Makoto)

 

“Oh! These must be the others, right?” (Hotaru)

 

<Yes… I’m sure you all have a lot of questions but for now, each of you could only ask me one after I explain…>

 

“Alright then.” (Hibiki)

 

“I wonder if I’m dead in the street…” (Kohaku)

 

“You too?” (Hibiki)

 

“... I-” (Makoto)

 

< Oh! Um, give me a second…> The system vanished from the stone chamber.

 

“I thought they got to everyone by now.” (Hotaru)

 

“... It wasn’t easy…” (Makoto)

 

“Oh, so you can talk. That’s good to hear.” (Hibiki)

 

“...” (Makoto)

 

The system returned, alighting the room even more before they dimmed down again.

 

< … I- I’m sorry…>

 

“For what? The people thinking we just went off, got extremely sick, and are possibly losing our lives?” (Hibiki)

 

<...>

 

“Or do you mean for the sudden hijacking?” (Hibiki)

 

<I->

 

“Then again, I wouldn’t put it past you for being inconsiderate to anyone else that had to witness the utter fiasco you’re about to put us through.” (Hibiki)

 

The room came to a dead silence after that. 

 

As much as everything was a haze of emotions, the one most distinct now that I had time to collect myself was the underlying dread and my ability only got better the longer I know someone. 

 

I was seething but kept a neutral expression on my face in case our bodies were visible to the orb while spitting venom. Using up my one question on anything I said in the process, couldn’t have meant shit to me then.

 

The system didn’t let the atmosphere sit for long, < I owe two of you a sincere apology, I couldn’t have met you before today. There won’t be another instance like this.>

 

“I apologize as well, I didn’t think much of it but I was reminded of today and must’ve lulled off in the hospital bed.” (Makoto)

 

I kept my silence afterward, feeling a little shitty to hear that. And to no response, the system continued.

 

<Now, I don’t think it’s too much of a bad thing that you’re here now. I’m not sure if you all would remember but there’s a special thing going on today. [AVRIL] will be opening its doors to the public today. >

 

‘[AVRIL]…’

 

The name only rang out to me in a bad light but the other three seemed to perk up. Back home, [AVRIL] was an open-world multiplayer game. MMORPG was the term, I think. You’d play the game in a special capsule they provided shaped like an egg.

 

<Not many people will be online so it’s perfect for you all to start. You’ll be transferring your consciousness to an avatar and making them as you please. Once you do, a portion of the power you gain there will be transferred to your body back here. So level up!

 

Not to mention you’ll all receive a special gift from someone back on Earth to help you in the game and that could be anything.>

 

God, I had so many questions on my mind that I was slightly regretting my small blow-up. One, for instance, I was thankful to hear come out of someone’s mouth.

 

<So, any question?>

 

“What does that have to do with us?” (Makoto)

 

< There aren’t any defenses on this planet. So it’s more likely for rifts to open up here.>

 

‘There it was.’

 

I have never seen a group of people settle down so fast before I almost laughed.

 

It’s a minor detail to the game but before I get ranted so I’ll say it.

 

In [AVRIL], you play as a vessel on the planet, Astrya. A planet guarded by a shadowy veil to be kept hidden from another Galaxy called Adonis, a ruined society.

 

I’d love to say more but everything I knew at the time was inconclusive for more reasons than one so, we’ll just save that for later.

 

A rift however was a tear between dimensional fabric that allowed for factors of other dimensions, realms if you want to call it that to affect ours. One of the various reasons why [AVRIL], the game the world was playing became so notorious.

But, I’m sure everyone else feels great about it.

 

<It’s not like you don’t receive perks here as well.> After saying that it looked to have caught Kohaku’s attention especially, a quick bounce back after hearing that.

 

“Oh?” (Kohaku)

 

<You all must already know about the bloodlines you have but in addition, you’ll also have a unique dojutsu!>

 

“A do-jutsu?” (Hotaru)

 

“Special eyes powers.” (Hibiki)

 

“Oooh! Like the… Gray eyes, right?” (Hotaru)

 

Before I could answer, an enthusiastic voice cut me off. “Yeah! There are all sorts of crazy cool powers out there that people could do!” (Kohaku)

 

“You must know a lot, huh?” (Hotaru)

 

While the two of them went on, I turned back to my right to see Makoto staring at the rest in silence.

 

“What do you think?” I asked simply out of curiosity.

 

“...” The way his eyes widened when he looked back at me, he looked about the room for anyone else before looking back at me again.

 

He pointed to himself.

 

“Mhm.” (Hibiki)

 

Just like that, it was back to being a stare-down which I decide to wait out.

 

<Um... Maybe introductions are in order? I believe that’s how this goes.>

 

“I’m Kohaku, It’s nice to meet everyone!” 

 

‘What in the class presentation is this…’

 

<Last name?>

 

“Oh, I haven’t decided yet!” (Kohaku)

 

<“Huh?”> (Everyone else)

 

“Well we have two bloodlines, right? I don’t know which one I want to use for my name yet.”

 

‘I guess that’s a nice theory, I thought we were going to get a DNA enhancer.’

 

<Alright…>

 

‘So finding people by name is easier?’

 

“M-Makoto Yuki…” The person on my right spoke once more before their voice drifted off mumbling about something.

 

‘Ah, he’s nervous, shy too. Alright then.’

 

“Hey, you can’t just skip me like that! I’m Hotaru Kurama. It’s nice to meet you!”

 

‘A Yuki and Kurama… maybe that’s what he was going on about.’

 

<Lastly?>

 

“Do you not have a name?” (Hibiki)

 

<Me?>

 

“Who else?” (Hibiki)

 

< I still need to come up with mine…>

 

“Gotcha, The name is Hanashi Uzumaki. It’s nice to meet you, I guess.”

 

[Recognized]

 

‘BITCH, WHAT THE FUCK?!!’

 

“ARE YOU SERIOUS?!” Still a clay figure, Kohaku slammed the table, spooking the rest of us.

 

“God, you gave me a heart attack.” (Hibiki)

 

“Ah! Sorry, you’re so lucky though!” (Kohaku)

 

I wanted to grimace at the thought, but I shook it off and was about to sit down when the system said,

 

<Well, since half of you are already up. We could move on to the next room. Follow me.>

 

‘Ugh, What a drag …’

 

*Click*

2