Chapter 22- Full Dive!
21 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

***

 

“So, you had us quiet for that?” Kohaku was leaning his head on the table 

 

Throwing another grape into her mouth, Hotaru responded, “It’s not like you would’ve said that with a straight face.” 

 

“I-I totally could!” (Kohaku)

 

“Do it then.” Hibiki spun the recorder in his hand on his finger, focusing on keeping it balanced

 

“Huh?” Kohaku tilted his head while trying to remember what Hibiki was mentioning.

 

“That is, of course, if you’re willing to get there.” (Hibiki)

 

“... Fine, I’ll do it.” Kohaku said begrudgingly

 

“Good luck.” (Makoto)

 

***

*Click*

We walked down a collapsed stone corridor; two rooms lined each wall and were blocked off with chains.

 

The system flew through a bright hole in the top right of the rubble and expected all of us to just follow. I scrambled up the blockage with no trouble, when I made it to the opening, I got to see that we were outside.

 

The wild grass and moss made this place look like a jungle, I couldn’t tell if the place was a garden area but there was another building across the field. I tried using [Mind’s Eye] to see what the others thought but nothing happened.

 

“Could you go the whole way through?” (Hotaru)

 

“Gotcha, watch out though. It’s a bit of a fall.” I took a leap to faceplant into the grass and shut my eyes to a whoom and clunking sounds.

 

When I opened them, another person was already walking across a rocky bridge. I was a little confused until I looked up and saw that the orb was projecting a cone of light that I was just hovering in.

 

“This. is. SO COOL!” (Kohaku)

 

<Do be careful, I can’t be certain we’re alone here yet.>

 

“Other people?” (Kohaku)

 

<People, beast, ancient horrors beyond human comprehension.>

 

“O… Oh…” (Kohaku)

 

I was lightly placed on the rough stone beside a giggling voice I was becoming familiar with.

 

“How did you get here so fast?” (Kohaku)

 

“A lady never tells.” Hotaru helped me up and I dusted myself off. I guess she couldn’t see the dust I was covered in since she was still like a blank model of a person to me.

 

‘We all look identical right now, I wonder what they look like?’

 

Now I got a good look around, I tried to see what was in the distance, but the palace was surrounded by walls. The sky was a lovely shade of blue, and there wasn’t as much earthy smell as I expected. 

 

We waited about five minutes to see the next person make their way through; they stuck a nice landing whilst the last one sort of just fell… It was hard to make out what was happening though from where we were.

 

The system darted over to them, moving actively. I don’t know why it didn’t go sooner though. 

 

‘I guess they were hoping to see something cool too.’

 

It was an Uzumaki and a Yuki, they could’ve done some cool stuff… I think. Anyways, everyone made it across the bridge to the other section; This one didn’t have anything blocking it.

 

This part was much better kept, it was a smaller dome and there were smooth tiles beneath us.

 

Just like in the first room, there weren’t any windows. Instead, there were twelve pods in a circle around the room. I couldn’t help but go on over to see this piece of technology in a place that could’ve been in ruins for all I knew. A little taste of home.

 

Before I could approach them any closer, the system circled me leaving a trail of something like fairy dust, and poof! I was clean. 

 

<That’s better.>

 

“Are there any other cool things you can do?” (Kohaku)

 

<Heh, you’ll know in time. Is everyone ready? >

 

“Yup!” (Hotaru)

 

“...Mhm.” (Makoto)

 

“Sure.” (Hibiki)

 

I was surprised the whole tension in the air deflated, I was glad the mood wasn’t as bad as it was. I just wanted him to keep quiet.

 

I had to choke on my words. His voice was calming to the listener but, each one of his words was like a slow stake being driven into my chest. 

 

‘...  I wouldn’t put it past you for being inconsiderate… It wasn’t like I had anyone to worry about me.’

We just got off the ship and got a room at an inn to sleep so I wasn’t too concerned about it.

‘This is going to be fun, maybe then he’d turn it around.’

 

*Click*

 

***

 

“AHAHAHA!” The sudden burst of laughter from our host was enough to make the room quake

 

“S-SHUT UP!” (Kohaku)

.

“Laughs in trauma.” (Makoto)

 

“AH- Uncalled for.” (Hibiki)

 

“You’re smiling…” (Makoto)

 

“I smile at a lot of things that are uncalled for.” (Hibiki)

 

*Click*

 

***

 

I opened the pod and took a whiff of fresh factory-produced machinery. Oh, the nostalgia of… something was there. But just as quickly, the thought was gone. I leaned into the memory foam I’d been longing for. 

 

‘Oh yeah, ~...’

 

I relaxed my body and shut my eyes. Opening them once again in a white space. The virtual reality system, [Somnia]. Luckily, I could see myself clearly now. Not as Kohaku though. It was just me. The muscles I missed so much…

 

I totally didn’t kiss my biceps. Heh…

 

AHEM!

 

If it wasn’t for my excitement, I’d probably miss it when I saw [AVRIL] pop up. On earth, its announcement was an hour after it came out, it wasn’t recognized at first because in the words of the developer “They were feeling quirky…”

 

The VRMMORPG was called [LIRVA] for the first hour before their partner talked the developer out of it. Bless their heart.

 

I was worried that the others wouldn’t know until I received an anonymous message about its release. I went ahead and ignored it and just clicked the game. I’d just view it in-game if I really needed it anyways.

 

My vision when black and I faded into a quaking marble room, a shadow was bent over a large pool, with haste, they cup their hands and take a sip of what looked like liquified honey.

 

“Yes, Yes! YES! HAHAHAHAHA!” (???)

 

Just like before, I felt a tug at my back, and I was yanked back to the sights of a lustrous night sky. Everywhere above me was glittered with starlight. The burst of colors would flash in shades of reds and green before I heard a wisp of a cough, I lowered my head from the sky. I was surrounded by rows amongst rows of bookshelves filled to the brim and a blood-red carpet.

 

I walked down to be greeted by a familiar sight, that’s how I knew this was home. 

 

A figure smiled, their long and sleek white hair ran down their back to the floor. With skin that looked like it could’ve been made of the night sky if it was in a rich shade of Indigo, speckled with white freckles and eyes of gold. They spoke.

 

“What do we have here? It’s been a long time since I’ve seen anyone. You look…unique… It must be about that time…” (???)

 

“Where am I?” (Kohaku)

 

“Ah, where are my manners? You may call me Celest, may I know your-.” Celest stopped abruptly while reaching their arm out before pulling back.

 

After introducing yourself, Celest would hand you a book and quill that would turn into a test about yourself, your interest, playing style, etc. Instead, she just said.

 

“My, looks like someone has taken interest in you. You’ve received a gift.” (Celest)

 

“Huh?” (Kohaku)

 

“Oh, you’ll see later. Please, tell me about your vessel.” (Celest)

 

‘Ah! Must be the system. Alright!’

 

Avril consists of your regular western fantasy races and more could be unlocked as we play. At either point, you could always roll for your character with a slim chance of getting a unique class. I already knew what I wanted to play.

 

At least, I thought so.

 

Scrolling through the races on the blue pop-up screen in front of me, Elves, Gnomes, Beastkin, Beastmen, and on, and on. With over 30 different races to choose from, there was a wide variety of ways to build your vessel. 

 

‘Half-Orc! Half-Orc…Oh?’

 

Just in between Ogre and sprites was a slot that shined pink, I wasn’t sure about it for a second but without a second thought, I clicked it.

 

One clue I was able to get at least wasn’t clear, but it was a conversation between four shadowed figures, One seemed to be berating the other about how essential the Soul was going to be.

 

One thing they said stuck with me.

 

S: “Now, you listen here! I couldn’t care less about how you feel on the matter, but you must be there for them when they need us most. That time is now. So, step up or fall back, the choice is yours.”

 

If anything, I wanted to give more of a chance for Hikari to act more. What was more perfect than a gift I was recommended for?!

 

“And what you specialize in?” (Celest)

 

I went all the way through the class options but couldn’t find anything there, so I went for my go-to, a monk!

 

I looked at my vessel, not wanting to be too intimidating, I made it reminiscent of the teenage Kohaku. A white mohawk with a fade contrasting my dark gray skin. I did keep my eyes pink; they grew on me.

 

‘Lastly a name… Let’s go with…’

 

Just like that my Hobgoblin Monk was complete! Before I knew it my mind came to a blank and I was laying down on the outskirts of a village in novice clothes to already see a couple of players walking about.

 

The feeling of grass beneath my palm on this sunny day was perfect!

 

I calmed myself and walked into the village, taking note that it was called Sirus from the sign. I was hoping to meet the others, but I had no clue what they looked like or if they’d even be here. It wasn’t the only starting town.

 

I’d be here until I was a high enough level to get into towns. With that in mind, my first idea was to see if there was an inn. So, I started my walk around town until I noticed a box covered in moss in an alley.

 

‘Just like before!’

 

Everyone just seemed to be doing their own thing so after making sure the coast was clear, snuck into the alleyway. I didn’t know what to do with this my first go around but that was all different now. Everyone starts with ten coppers, and I arranged seven pieces in a small circle. It was a lucky box! You didn’t get to see these often, so I had to take the chance!

 

The unluckiest thing to come of these was a consumable but in the three instances, it’s been mentioned people have gotten items to grow along with them. The money disappeared and with a small pop, all that remained was a purple bell.

 

When I picked it up from the box, I was sure immediately that it was something good when the next thing if felt was a warmth running up my arm as the notification popped up in my face

 

[Soul bound]

 

I could almost shout for glee that it was something special and for a closer look, for a bell, it was so detailed. I guess it’d be better to say it was mound-shaped. Its base was rectangular before you reach its dome that was connected to a cone, it’ll probably change later but for now, I was going to store it away after checking out its summary.

 

[Unidentified]

 

A dull stupa with a small spark of hope.

  • 10 STR
  • 5???

 

[Sealed]

 

[Sealed

 

[Sealed]

 

[Sealed]

 

Shaking it didn’t help but I was surprised with the stat boost it gave me, I put it away immediately. I wasn’t going to be caught off guard.

 

We only got 20 points to start with and get 10 with each level, I allocated 6 points to my Stamina with my energy now being at 60, Spellcasters relied on mana they got from INT while physical classes relied on STM to perform skills and to have a harder time being fatigued.

 

It didn’t take long after that to figure out what the other boost was, My HP doubled, and I didn’t have to give a prayer or anything!

 

Although I can’t see them now, one of the things that benefitted from the stupa was a hidden stat, being my vitality.

 

Everyone found it to be weird at first but if someone was to find a shrine, have a symbol or go to a church you’d be able to boost those stats, the allocation is always 5 to main and 5 to hidden but that could be changed to a 7:3 ratio.

 

With us only getting to decide how the main stats were assigned, this was huge for me! I was already two steps ahead of the game in the long run.

 

I found out that it was an accessory I could equip as a necklace. I didn’t want to stand out right now and cause trouble for myself, so it just had to stay in one of my 50 inventory slots for now. It was a small price to pay for the stats boost I got.

 

I managed to find an inn, but I needed five copper to purchase board for the night. I cursed myself under my breath and instead asked the innkeeper, a… hot guy with black hair named Luan if there was anything I could do to make some money.

 

He recommended that I check out the job board and after I took a step outside, I could see the yellow icons over the heads of the NPCs here. I was a little embarrassed to forget that you needed to talk to someone to be able to see who had a quest available.

 

‘Onwards! To my first quest!’

 

*Click*

 

2