Chapter 30- Hunt for All!
15 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Sorry for the late post, I just got a new computer since my last one broke and finished setting it up. This might be my favorite chapter to write yet. It's a little bit of a long one because I didn't want to rush it but I hope you enjoy it!!!

 

Rolling to see who interacts is honestly the funniest thing. I'd love to hear your guesses about which one of the others interacted with Hotaru this time! Not everything is as it seems!

*Click*

 

I was happy to be walking down the streets with Yakumo and I think she was too. Always acted like mom outside but had a pep in her step that made me have to hide my smile to not embarrass her.

 

I almost let out a chuckle at how reserved she was, I liked to spoil her rotten on days like these. She’s my twin but I’m her big sister by a minute, what’s the word again?...

 

*Click*

 

“Well, my loyal minions?” (Hotaru)

 

“Do you always need a mind reader?” (Hibiki)

 

“Ur- … A little, pretty please?” Clapping her hands together and winking to have Hibiki roll his eyes in response, he opened his mouth to be interrupted.

 

“Fraternal.” Makoto to a sip of his cup and turned away from the host staring in awe. 

 

Hibiki leaned back in his chair and muttered loud enough for everyone to hear, “The audacity…”

 

“Pfft! Thank you~.” (Hotaru)

 

*Click*

 

We were fraternal twins. I’d have to say Yakumo took more after dad while I look more like mom.

 

While the others were going to find Kiba first, Yakumo was going to help me get my hands on the culprit of this crime! With determination in our hearts and each other side, I clenched my fist and pulled back. Just then, the sliding door opened before I even realized it, and had the deal with the weight of a heavy hand atop my head easing its way back and forth.

 

“It’s good to see you again.”

 

“Mmm… geezer…” (Hotaru)

 

“I had to get to you, but here you are. Kakashi decided to leave early today.”

 

The first character I recognized as my brother’s favorite. The spiky gray-haired adult with hair dynamics I couldn’t understand crouched down and side-hugged my sister.

 

“It’s no fair! I was trying to stay mad!” (Hotaru)

 

“I’m glad I could help. Though the person with the most answers is behind you.” (Sakumo)

 

I already knew. I couldn’t get that fucker off my back for longer than five minutes at most if he was here. Worst of all, he hasn’t gotten tired of it!

 

“... I couldn’t get him off our tail.” (Hotaru)

 

“A lot of people can’t. Should we go together?” (Sakumo)

 

“... Fine.” I pouted and crossed my arms, starting a slow turn. 

 

Standing there with an unusual number of scrapes than usual was an Uchiha who should be using the day to rest. Too energetic for my taste honestly but it was clicking that there was a motive behind it today.

 

“Shi-chan…” (Hotaru)

 

“Ho-kun!”, replied the nuisance grinning ear to ear.

 

‘Bite me.’

 

As much as it was irritating, I took pride in knowing the old man was expecting me. I walked to the boy with his palm out and reluctantly gave him a high five. Otherwise, I'd be pestered the whole day.

 

“We don’t have time to waste, let’s go. You’ll explain on the way.” (Hotaru)

 

“It’s nice to see you again, Shisui.” Yakumo bowed

 

“Yakumo, we can’t be friendly to the enemy!” (Hotaru)

 

“Enemy is harsh…” (Shisui)

 

“Anyways, WE GOTTA GO, GO, GO!!!” I took Yakumo’s hand and took off with her giggle as fuel to find more people.

 

Not to say that it was easier than I expected but I guess there was an allure Yakumo had to some of our classmates because we were just leading a small herd back to the spot where the boys were with Kiba, Ino, Sasuke, and Sakura in tow.

 

“H-how did you guys find so many?” (Naruto)

 

“I wish I knew.” (Hotaru)

 

“Mhm.” (Yakumo)

 

I was really curious how this was gonna work out when I saw that the other three had accepted the invitation. I was looking forward to seeing what they were like here.

 

“Everyone ready?” (Shisui)

 

I didn’t know how to feel that my parole officer was the one acting as an announcer, but Yakumo looked ecstatic so, I swallowed my words.

 

“Then let the scavenger hunt begin!” (Shisui)

 

30 kids ran into the forested area with the only rules being not to cross the wired area and that once an object was claimed by someone it was theirs so there’d be no way to steal from others. There wasn’t to be any pushing or harming others because there was enough to go around and if there was, that person would be removed immediately.

 

I’ll never understand how that small idea turned into something this big and I think the kids being smug immediately got put in their place the minute the intimidating figure of Ibiki walked out of the woods in his jonin garb and stood next to Sakumo and Shisui.

 

The tension of that all died once the familiar shy girl with a bob managed to find a stuffed pink stuffed teddy bear with a red bow tie.

 

<The world responds to the - - - - - - ‘s call>

[Hanashi]: Testing, testing?

 

[Kohaku]: Oh hey!

 

[Hanashi]: Anyone else?

 

[Makoto]: I’m here as well.

 

[Hanashi]: How are you feeling?

 

[Makoto]: Better now.

 

[Kohaku]: Hey, I’m here too!

 

[Hanshi]: Glad to hear it. Last check, are you going to answer or what? Respond mentally unless you have no brain cells.

 

‘Huh?’

 

[Hotaru]: Huh?

 

[Hanashi]: Oh. My. God. She is braindead, the more you know~.

—-

 

“Hotaru?” Yakumo tapped my shoulder.

 

“Hm?” (Hotaru)

 

“Aren’t we going to find stuff too?” (Yakumo)

 

“Ah. Yeah, what are you doing here? You should’ve started without me.” (Hotaru)

 

The area was pretty infested, but each time someone found something there was a scattering of dust of some sort onto the person. Nobody seemed to react to it though, like it-

 

 

[Hanashi]:  -wasn’t even there. Damn, so braindead you had to stand still? Shi–.

 

[Hotaru]: Y-you were watching?! Where are you guys?

 

[Makoto]: Just around I think, I don’t look the same though.

 

[Kohaku]: Me neither!

 

[Hanashi]: Well, there they go, ruining the surprise. Oh, and if you could take your reactions from an 8 to a 3 that might do you better than scaring her. Before you even think about it, you can talk to your specters to not respond here otherwise, I’m still working out the kinks of this thing.

 

 

After a little bit of stumbling and slowing down, I managed to ease into interacting like normal once Jack gave me a little push. Usami said that she’d come back after going off on her own a little bit. I wasn’t going to ask if the rabbit had to do her rabbit business.

 

She was quiet the whole time, I guessed she was tired or something like that. Never fell off my head but I was pretty sure the light snoozing was coming from her.

 

It only took a group of three kids being picked up by jonin I didn’t recognize for everyone to stick to the rules which weren’t that hard anyways. 

 

Some things were in more obvious places like Sakura found a pair of bracelets beside a tree.

 

“C-could you two help us out?”

 

The shy girl from before, ah… HINATA! She was with some boy in a green jacket with a collar that covered up half his face who was pretty red in the face for some reason and a girl with brown hair and eyes, pretty indistinguishable if you ask me.

 

“I don’t mind. How about you?” Yakumo turned to me placing a plain box into my pile.

 

“Sure, what do you need help with Hinata?” I kept a light smile on my face, hoping not to scare her away another time.

 

“I- uh…” She turned back to her friends, both sending a thumbs up in her direction.

 

“W-we…. found a…”

 

“YOU GOT THIS!” The girl yelled.

 

Hinata jumped and clutched her fist. She was just as red as a tomato, “We found a tree with a lot of stuff! A-a-and we need help to get them down…”

 

“Alright. Let’s go to your friends.” (Yakumo)

 

“Mm!” (Hinata)

 

We approached together when the girl ran up to Hinata, wrapping her in a big hug.

 

“See, you did great! It only gets easier from here.” (Girl)

 

“Right…” (Hinata)

 

“Look at me, stuck between two lovebirds.” She sighed exasperatedly with her hands cupping her face as she shook it from side to side.

 

““It’s not-!!!”” (Hinata + ???)

 

“Right, right~. Anywho, it’s nice to get to meet The Icyhot Princesses.”

 

‘Icy…hot?’

 

“...Yakumo Kurama…” The reluctance to talk to her was something Yakumo could barely hide when she lifted out a shaky hand.

 

Grasping on with both of hers and shaking wildly, “Heehee, my name is Sara Katō.”

 

I guess I’d give the sparkplug some credit, Sara had her hair up in two short pigtails that spread out like a make-up brush, and she wore an auburn sweater with a long green skirt, a more vibrant shade to her hooded comrade.

 

‘Geez, this one might be able to compete with the weird look she gave Naruto.’

 

 This also confirmed to me that bubbly balls of sunshine were her weakness.

 

“Hotaru Kurama.” I decided to save Yakumo, only to regret it.

 

Just like Yakumo she shook with both hands but after doing it once she looked at me with an innocent smile on her face. “Who could forget?”

 

(Urk!)

 

“Our walk to the tree made it much easier to understand why the two were so flushed in the face.”

 

(Sh-She’s very insightful…)

 

I couldn’t say it was annoying but, Sara was…. Someone who loved love. A shipper, maybe? 

 

Skipping ahead of us, she looked almost whimsical as she happily danced around. “Ah, you couldn’t believe it! The beauty that comes with someone looking at someone they like. Their heart going Ba-bum ba-bum! Ahh! Don’t get me started on confessing!”

 

A hopeless romantic?

 

“Then do you have someone you like?”

 

“Me?... I don’t know. He’s too stupid sometimes.”

 

‘This girl!’

 

“AHAHAHA!” (Hotaru)

 

“W-What?!” (Sara)

 

“I’m sorry, I thought you’d be more certain about how you feel. With how much you talk about love.”

 

Now I got a light blush from this pouting girl, “We’ll of course I could be but liking someone isn’t that easy. There’s a lot of work that has to be put into it. That’s why you all have my respect!”

 

“I don’t like someone.” Yakumo crossed her arms. I figured this conversation wasn’t to her liking by her keeping us behind the others.

 

“I don’t know about that but no, you love someone. You make that very clear, the love I mean isn’t just romantic, silly~. That goes for all of you as well.” 

 

It’s very hard to not feel exposed in front of her…

 

I could already see the pink of Yakumo’s face on my periphery and knew it was much better to not look at her when she was embarrassed like that.

 

“Here we are.” (Hinata)

 

Not so far off, there was everyone actually gathering around here. The chat’s been radio silent for half an hour now but I figured everyone was probably here. Not too sure what happened though.

 

Around one of the largest trees, things like masks, wooden Kunais, and dolls were hanging from stings or pinned to the tree.

 

“H-how are we supposed to get those?!” (Hotaru)

 

“Hmm? That’s a silly question. You two are right here.” (Sara)

 

“What?” (Yakumo)

 

“Well, I’m sure we’ll figure it out. Something just tells me it’ll work out.” (Sara)

 

“Climbing?” (Hinata)

 

“That could work.” (Hotaru)

 

“Heehee~. Let’s ask the others for help too!” (Sara)

 

“I- I c-c-can…” (Hinata)

 

“Oh Hinata, you’re adorable. You can take it easy. I’ll do it this time. Do you mind helping me get everyone’s attention?” (Sara)

 

Sara had us go around in pairs of two to speak with the other groups while she prepared something.

 

I went with the boy who hadn’t said anything since we met. I wasn’t too sure at first but now it was clear that he was keeping his distance. Not that I minded it, my reputation wasn’t the best. Heck, I had a parole officer.

 

Over the course of ten minutes, the sun was slowly making its way back to the horizon, but everyone was gathered in a large circle etched out in front of the tree.

 

“Hello everyone! There’s this really big tree with a lot of things but it’s a lot for any of us to handle on our own. So, how about we work together? Sounds like fun, right?

 

It’s not going to be anything difficult but for this to work, I’m going to need The Icyhot Princesses to take a seat right in the center while the rest of us sit around the circle and all you need to do is imagine, what would be the funnest way for the tree to give us those gifts?” (Sara)

 

‘The tree?’

 

“Oh, and no matter what. You need to keep your eyes closed, otherwise you’ll be too tired to move after this and a jonin will have to help you get home. Okay, ready?” (Sara)

 

Everyone sat down skeptical of the jolly girl but still abided by her strange request. I shut my eyes thinking about what she said.

 

‘A way the three can give us the gifts… fun… Treehouse?’

 

“Hmm…, a tree house would do quite nicely. So be it.”

 

A pulse of energy washed over me, going from extreme warmth to chilling cold. Then I felt it. Something slimy… cold… unforgiving. 

 

It was sad, overwhelming loneliness before I was jutted back to reality and the warmth returned when I felt another hand tug on mine.

 

‘We’ll be alright.’

 

“And it’s done! You can open your eyes now!” (Sara)

 

With a bit of disbelief, I opened my eyes slowly to adjust to the light and stared in awe. The sun was setting over the large treehouse, stairs spiraling up the side, Slides wrapping around the other. It was alit by numerous paper lanterns and fireflies cascading darkening sky like the stars were brought to us.

 

“You like it?” Sara sat down on a toadstool gleefully in her element. 

 

“THIS IS INSANE!” (Hotaru)

 

“Really? I thought it looked pretty good.” Sara had a smug grin across her face before she started chuckling.

 

“Are you kidding?! It’s amazing!”

 

“Aw, stop. That’s too kind. You can all check it out tomorrow though. It’s about time we get home, yeah?” (Sara)

 

“HOW CAN I GO HOME AFTER SEEING THIS?!”

 

“WHAT ABOUT THE GIFTS?!”

 

“Wow, people are really funny. You all should turn around sometimes.” (Sara)

 

“It’s time for dinner kids.” (Murakumo)

 

“Aww…”

 

“Can we stay just a little longer?”

 

“C’mon, there’s always tomorrow.”

 

“Okay…”

 

One by one the crowd dispersed down the newly pitched paths when the interface blinked into existence once more.

 

Iruka took Naruto with him and Ibiki made his way back over to the little girl on the toadstool.

 

“You had fun?” (Ibiki)

 

“Loads. I guess I have a note to write.” (Sara)

 

<Quest Completed: Ultimate Scavenger Hunt!!! >

 

While you originally supplied the money for this Twinday event. Someone else wanted to make your day 10 times better. 

 

-Help clear out the forest of its hidden loot.

 

-Beware of traps!!!

 

[WORLD REACTION: You may invite your fellow Balancers to assist you. 4/4 Participated]

 

[Players: 27/30]

 

[ Loot: 500/ 1,000]

 

What were those traps the system was talking about? Oh well.’

 

I was going to sneak back out to look for Usami but when we made it back to our rooms, all the stuff we collected was there and Usami was resting on top of my bed. 

 

‘I could only imagine what her day has been like, I’ll ask tomorrow.’ I scootched in, as not to disturb Usami too much.

 

“Good night, Yakumo.” (Hotaru)

 

“Good night, Hotaru.” (Yakumo)

 

‘We got a whole new place to explore tomorrow. Oh, wait…’

 

The last message I saw in the chat rang a bell in my mind so after checking in with everyone I finally went through with it.

 

‘Status’

 

Little did I know, that was my first real-life encounter with someone I’d be working with for a long time.

2