Chapter 33- Frozen Flame
17 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

A moment of silence came over the expansive room. Makoto removed his hand from the button and placed the recorder down on the table. Watching the energy enter the network built into the table.

 

“... Can we talk?” (Makoto)

 

“Choice is yours.” Hibiki rolled his eyes, munching down on pocky sticks.

 

“Okay, you can talk now.” Makoto reached for a bottle of water set on the table.

 

“THANK HEAVENS! YOU CHEATED US!!!” Kohaku jumped from his seat, slamming his hands onto the table to the surprise of no one.

 

“You should lower your voice about matters you don’t understand. I’m sure there are plenty of people that would love to learn more too.

 

Take time, and don’t give the dogs scraps too easily. They’ve had their fill anyways, use it.”

 

“Y-you…” A vein pulsated from the side of Kohaku’s face.

 

“Besides, we all got there so there’s no problem. I don’t see Hotaru having an issue with it.”

 

“You’re not denying it.” Makoto spoke after taking a long sip.

 

*Crunch* “There’s nothing to. Mn, we needed it then, they didn’t. Simple as that.”

 

“...”

 

“... The drama-” (Hibiki)

 

“The gumption, the goals. Then what about …” (Hotaru)

 

“We’ll cross that bridge when we get there.” (Makoto)

 

“Ehehe~” (Hibiki)

 

Everyone lived in their happy group bubble in contrast to the grumbling form of Kohaku nibbling on a cookie.

 

Makoto motioned his hand back and watched the recorder fly into his hand...

 

*Click*

 

-Samui’s POV-

 

I walked through the path so snow-tracked that patches of ground were becoming visible. Two large plastic bags dangling at my sides.

 

‘It’ll be fine.’

 

****

 

-FLASHBACK-

 

The Mission Assignment Desk was as active of a lobby as ever. The hustle and bustle of Jonins, those moving around with their own team of Genin or acting solo for more serious requests.

 

I dragged my fingers against the small hexagonal stone I fitted into a blue beaded bracelet I kept in my tool pouch. The stone was run through with cracks but still stuck together, hanging on by a thread.

 

Its presence is as soothing as the little boy I’ve taken in. A soft smile wreathed my face while I waited to collect our payment.

 

“Here to go, Samui. Thank you again.”

 

There it was. A tone not faltering or hushed when addressing me.

 

“What can I say, anything for a dear friend. I thought you’d be helping the Raikage today as well?” (Samui)

 

“It’s a nice job.”

 

“One you do very well.” I reached out and grabbed the enclosed envelope. Struggling to pull it back, I met her gaze. The smirk she had across her face…

 

With hair as white as the snow outside, Mabui was always a likable presence. I still wonder how we got here sometimes.

 

“Looks like you haven’t been slacking on the job…” I was reluctant to apply any more force when the envelope already looked taut from her side.

 

“I am still a ‘Line of defense’ after all.” (Mabui)

 

“Was I wrong?” (Samui)

 

She released her hand and crossed her arms before taking a seat next to me. “...No. I’m just not fond of it.”

 

“That makes the two of us.” (Samui)

 

“You can’t coddle Atsui forever.” (Mabui)

 

“Aha.ha.ha…” (Samui)

 

“You haven’t said much about your new addition anyways.”  (Mabui)

 

“It’s good to see you again, busybody. I’m still certain you shouldn’t be working yourself to death. My offer stands.” (Samui)

 

“... I don’t even know where I’d begin.” (Mabui)

 

“Watching from the inside rather than out sounds good start.” (Samui)

 

“Young people are impressionable.”  (Mabui)

 

“And you’re one of the best role models I know. I want to get to see you more often.” (Samui)

 

“... I’ll think about it.” (Mabui)

 

“I think you’ve been doing more than that.” (Samui)

 

“Can’t you just hire help?” (Mabui)

 

“I can’t think anyone I’d want him around more.” (Samui)

 

*Tink*

 

The moment came to a slow as my thumb ran along a new edge. I turned my head back to my left hand, or rather the once-empty seat to my left. A third of the stone had fallen off.

 

This soothing stone, after three previous instances only looked like an accessory but, there’s never once been a day that I took it as a joke.

 

‘From one to… four…’

 

Understanding one’s comfort wasn’t something you’d find easy. Sometimes you can’t recognize signs of something being wrong until it becomes too big of an issue to ignore. The way it was no longer biting to the touch was why I didn’t feel the need to watch over them training with wooden swords as much.

 

“Hey, Samui?” (Mabui)

 

“Hm?!” I turned back so quickly that I could’ve given myself whiplash.

 

“Is everything alright? You aren’t looking so well.” (Mabui)

 

“... I don’t know…” (Samui)

 

“What?” (Mabui)

 

“I have to go.” I gently took put the bracelet and broken piece back in my empty pouch before I broke off into a sprint.

 

Without the bracelet, a cold chill ran down my spine before I exited the building.

 

‘They’ll be fine. I’m sure they’re fine.’

 

I was making my way toward the edge of the peak when a giant white blur shot up into the sky.

 

I looked about to see other people looking up at the sky or questioningly at each other by the time I caught Mabui in my sight-

 

*BOOM*

 

A single lightning bolt struck down in the village. Without hesitation, I pushed myself even further, with a slight ringing in my ears in the direction of the Kumo Hospital. Even through the frosty weather, I felt like I was running through Sunagakure again.

 

Sweat ran down my face when I reached the scorched earth, steaming from whatever snow was there evaporating.

 

Slowing my breath and taking a moment to regain my composure.

 

‘It’ll be fine…. They’ll be fine…’

 

“SLOW… DOWN…” Exasperated, Mabui dragged her feet over.

 

“WHAT THE-”

 

I walked inside.

 

“SAMUI!!” (Mabui)

 

With the sudden influx, the hospital staff were moving left and right from corridor to corridor.

 

“Ma’am, this way please.” A doctor with spiked orange hair called out and kept walking down the hall.

 

Mabui was able to catch up, grumbling to herself as we followed the doctor into an empty room.

 

“What exactly is-” (Mabui)

 

“From one to four-” (Samui)

 

“From four to seven.” (????)

 

****FLASHBACK END****

 

I made my way back to the two-story house, as I was about to open the door the sound of glass shattering rang true. I looked back to the beaded bracelet on my wrist, where the stone once was there was a bird with its wings outstretched.

 

‘It’ll be fine.’

 

“I’m glad you’re joining us this time.” (Samui)

 

“Wouldn’t miss it for the world.” (Mabui)

 

*Click*

 

-Makoto’s POV-

 

By the time I made it back downstairs, the living room was arranged back to normal. Minus the feathers and shattered glass being swept us by the two sending sharp glares my way.

 

I took a pencil to my notebook and started scrawling when I saw Samui next to someone new.

 

‘Welcome home! Hello, guest!’

 

Aoi perched himself on the table, turning his head at the pleasant aroma coming from the plastic bags.

 

Samui replied on the paper.

 

‘Thank you. I see you’re ready for dinner.’

 

I nodded my head but headed back upstairs to grab Yuuma, sitting there before making my way back down.

 

The plates were set out and everyone took a seat around the table. I nearly drooled at the contents put on my plate.

 

I had Aoi take a break since everyone would just write down what they wanted to say. None of that really helped the discrepancy in things Atsui wrote compared to others.

 

Even without saying, Mabui’s scent was familiar. The person who’d come to check on me whenever Astui and Samui were out. Seeing her form in the middle of the night once from a window did become a source of nightmares.

 

We spent the night passing the book around while savoring the taste of Madam’s curry, spicy, just the way I like it.

 

What I tried to block out of my mind was one I should’ve seen coming.

 

‘I have to go to school…’

 

*Click*

 

2