Chapter 34- Supplies and Dine
19 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I was having some technical difficulties but I finally figured it out. So, here's yesterday’s chapter! Sorry! XD

 

“Pfft!”

 

“What.”

 

“...Youth…”

 

*Click*

 

-Makoto’s POV-

 

A light breeze frisks and swirls its way across the many structures built and carved into the mountains. Under the rays of the sun, most of the unexpected weather failed to last. Unlike the hushed whispers, I was regrettably becoming more familiar with.

 

I wasn’t expecting there to be anything to assist with my problem right now but this morning, I found a small brown box outside the door. The note left inside instructed me on how to wear the device and its use.

 

While helpful, it left me with a lot more questions once I turned my gaze to its design. It was an odd sense of unease and comfort to see the same marks I’d given myself on them.

 

It was a… group outing to buy what supplies I would be needing. Aside from small things like metal threads and shurikens, we were taking the chance to explore. Just… not with who I expected.

 

“Next, we need…”

 

“AHH! WHY CAN’T WE BE DOING SOMETHING COOL!”

 

“Can’t you give it a rest?”

 

“HOW CAN YOU?!”

 

“...” I looked at Samui lugging two large bags beside me, completely straight-faced looking at me.

 

(WHAT THE FUCK!) (Makoto)

 

(Can you blame her?) (Riri)

 

(NO! YES! MAYBE?!) (Makoto)

 

(Or we could blame the fact that you decided to be a —)

 

(THE PRINCE IS NOT A HERMIT!!) The black heron flew down to Yuuma’s face, rapidly flapping his wings.

 

(Urk!) The grievous emotional wound I suffered was pierced once again.

 

I was struck down by the conclusion Aoi came to by being with us for a day before I could try to save my honor. Riri turned back to look at me unfazed. She sighed through Yuuma's body and walked to Samui while shaking her head to twist the knife further.

 

I dropped to my knees in defeat, knowing she could’ve said something 100 times worse but settled with that.

 

Seeing this, Aoi came to my defense.

 

(THE PRINCE IS NOTHING LIKE THOSE FILTHY OAFS, HE MUST HAVE LOTS OF FRIENDS AND GOES OUT ON THE OCCASION, ISN’T THAT RIGHT PRINCE?!)

 

(...) (Makoto)

 

(...) (Riri)

 

(... I-Isn’t that right, p-prince?) ( Aoi)

 

I couldn’t look at him knowing that Riri was snickering behind Samui’s legs. I slowly got up, intercepting a hand being placed on my head that reflexively retracted.

 

“A-Are you alright, Hunter-san?” Manami, the girl with her dark brown hair in a bun hid her hands behind her back.  

 

“Mhm.” At this point, I gave up having them address me by my name. With all the bickering their group does, they universally agreed that ‘The Hunter’ was a cool nickname.

 

***

 

“THEY WEREN’T WRONG!” (Kohaku)

 

“You think so?” (Makoto)

 

“IT’S FUCKING AWESOME!!!” (Kohaku)

 

“Sounds badass.” (Hotaru)

 

“Bet that was a fun thing to have.” (Hibiki)

 

“Don't get me started…” (Makoto)

 

“Oh?” (Hibiki)

 

***

 

Before Manami turned away, I could see the other two staring daggers in my direction before going silent as she made her way back to them.

 

The guy with the voice cracks was Kenta. Even with most of the snow melting, it was still cold up here. He was in a black sweater this time so I got to see blonde hair that parted to the sides. It curved in so many places I could’ve called him a banana split.

 

“We can look for somewhere to eat.” Last was the resident strongman on their team, Takeo. The same kid that looked like he wrestled a bear. I’d believe it with the claw marks over his right eye. How else was a kid going to be pumping iron like him?

 

We made our way over to Madam’s and by that I mean, the three Genin kept a good foot ahead of us. I didn’t have much trouble with it. Them not treating me like some monster was enough.

 

I held my tongue and watched, letting a sickly feeling set in my chest the longer those three talked and laughed among those small fights.

 

(If you want it then hunt, Hunter. New guy, watch your step or I’ll devour you.)

 

(D-Devour?! You fiend, demon, monster!) The blackbird landed on my shoulder trying to look smaller barking insults at Riri.

 

‘He was right. All bark, no bite…’

 

I stifled my laugh as we reached the front of my favorite establishment here. The large one-story building had always had such a unique savory smell that you could call it a landmark.

 

Jollily serving her customers was an older Black lady along with her daughter-in-law you could hear her “Ohohoho!” before you enter. The business was certainly booming for the two of them. 

 

“What’s this? My favorite beans are with my favorite bean?!” Madam rushed on over with cheek pinches and hugs for everyone before pushing us to an empty table.

 

I didn’t catch it until the others sat down. I ended up sitting between the two boys while Samui sat next to Manami, taking the last seat on their side...

 

The whole situation stunk of something and by then my fate was sealed when the two ladies decided to place our order, leaving me between Bulk and Skull.

 

“So, Hunter.” Takeo put his arm around my shoulder and leaned in to whisper.

 

I grimaced, “It’s Makoto…”

 

“Right, right Hunter, How’d you do it?” Kenta followed the lead of his teammate, huddling in.

 

“What are you talking about?” (Makoto)

 

(How is this conversation happening?) (Makoto)

 

(Beats me.) (Riri)

 

(Because Prince is amazing!) (Aoi)

 

“The whole arrow and then boom, we sunk into the ground.!” (Kenta)

 

“Getting through without triggering our traps.” (Takeo)

 

“Yeah and then the- ” (Kenta)

 

“Why are you trying to be nice to me?” (Makoto)

 

There was a long pause that lead to both of them sharing a look.

 

It didn’t make sense, should they be scared? They could’ve died! I barely slept remembering the frost-covered, unconscious state they were in. Now I have to accept their gift and smile as if nothing happened?! My hands were shaking underneath the table.

 

‘They shouldn’t be here, if anything they should’ve kept their distance!’

 

“It was scary, right?” (Takeo)

 

“What?” I froze meeting Takeo’s gaze.

 

“What happened wasn’t your fault. Stuff like that has been happening for a while, right?” He looked back to Kenta.

 

“We aren’t supposed to say anything!” (Kenta)

 

“It can’t be helped. We should just let him know.” (Takeo)

 

“Know what?” My breath hitched.

 

“Ugh, fine but you better not snitch!” I hesitated before giving a nod to which Kenta squinted.

 

‘Did they hear it too?’

 

Kenta sighed reluctantly before saying, “Stuff like this has happened before, it hadn’t gotten this bad. You’re lucky you were out for three days, we had to talk to the Raikage!”

 

“No way!” (Makoto)

 

“Yes way! He was pissed!” (Kenta)

 

“Kenta almost peed himself.” (Takeo)

 

“Hey! You were about to cry!” (Kenta)

 

“No, I wasn’t!” (Takeo)

 

“You totally were!” (Kenta)

 

“What about Manami?” (Makoto)

 

That hit a switch, and both of them glared at me, ““What about her?””

 

“H-How did she react?” (Makoto)

 

“What? You think she was going to pee herself or cry?” Kenta started to get in closer to my face.

 

“No.” (Makoto)

 

“You better not cause- huh?” He finally gave me some room to breathe when he backed up.

 

“No.” (Makoto)

 

“What are you-” (Kenta)

 

I moved lean in closer this time. “I said no. Are you’re ears clogged? Did you need another trip to the hospital, Pissbaby?”

 

(M-Makoto Pl- *WHEEZE*) The quiet hyena laughter from under the table startled a couple of people around us and Riri was quick to cover her snout to muffle it. I turned back straight in my seat to the wide-eyed shock of the people next to me.

 

“We’re back.” (Samui)

 

“Welcome back.” I shoved my elbow into Takeo's side to get the stupid look off one of their faces.

 

“Er! W-welcome back.” (Takeo)

 

“Something wrong?” Manami asked, sharing a questioning look with Samui.

 

“Nothing, at all. What did you get?”, I smiled.

 

(6-year-old facade, activate!)

 

(Mm hm hm hm…) Nothing could help the dog cackling under the table.

 

(He truly is amazing…) Not even the bird that wouldn’t stop feeding my ego with sparkles in his eyes.

 

It was like magic to see the flow of the conversation around us become weightless after that. I excused myself to go to the bathroom shortly because of a small icon flashing in the corner of my eye.

 

[WORLD REACTION: QUEST DISCOVERED!]

 

<Quest: Howler Harvest>

 

A Remnant of a Forgotten clan’s desire has managed to escape the border between your dimension and Limbo.

 

-Find out what you can about this forgotten Clan.

 

-Locate the lost Remnant.

 

-Exorcise the Remnant before it can - - - - - - - - (5%)

 

Balancers: 0/4

 

<Y> or <N>

 

Loot: Varies based on Results

 

[WORLD REACTION: You may invite your fellow Balancers to assist you.]

 

‘A Howler?’

 

(Aoi.) (Makoto)

 

(YES PRINCE?!) (Aoi)

 

(...It looks like we’ll have some work to do.) (Makoto)

 

(Don’t count me out.) (Riri)

 

(DUMB DOG!) (Aoi)

 

(I’m going to eat the bird.) (Riri)

 

(Please try to get along…) (Makoto)

 

*Click*

2