Chapter 7- Who’s Calling?
72 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

When I came to, I was in a soft bed. The pillow was so nice, that I ended up snuggling into it more as I heard someone giggle. I quickly turned back to see a pair of red eyes peering out in the dark.

 

Immediately, I wrapped my body around the pillow and cradled it back and forth. Every time I’m fucked, when am I gonna catch a break.

 

“Pfft- hahaha.” That laugh was all too familiar, I only knew of one pintsized machine with that laugh!

 

“C-Ch-Chino-san?” (Kohaku)

 

“For someone who likes a fight, you sure do get startled easily. Maybe calling you a squirrel wasn’t wrong after all.” Chino snickered while sitting at my bedside

 

“No, I don’t think it was wrong…” (Kohaku)

 

She grabbed the sides of my face before giving me a long stare. “I could’ve sworn it wasn’t the first time we met, just how long have you been here?”

 

“U-Um, 3-4 years now.” It was an odd feeling to have my cheeks squished

 

“So... before I started?” (Chino)

 

“Mhm…” (Kohaku)

 

She kept squishing my cheeks, “Have you always been able to do that?” (Chino)

 

“Do what?” (Kohaku)

 

“Ya know…  eyes?” (Chino)

 

“OH! The fight… No, that was the first time that happened.” (Kohaku)

 

“Hmmm… Okay! Well, you can go back to sleep. I’m going back to bed.” Just like that, she started walking off and opened the door to leave.

 

“Al- Alright then…” I was already flabbergasted with how casual she treated the person she fought but I guess it goes to show that she's fighting for a different reason, who could say.

 

Before making her exit she turns back, “Can’t wait to be working with you soon, bye!” Then she shut the door.

 

“Bye…”

 

I put the pillow back in place before covering myself with the blanket and shutting my eyes. Tomorrow's a big day after all.

 

(((...)))

 

M: (3)

 

B: (2!)

 

M: (1)

 

"DID SHE JUST SAY WE’RE WORKING TOGETHER?!" (Kohaku)

 

(((There it is.)))

 

I was already getting a migraine from the feedback of the battle. It wasn't hard to make the decision to hop back into my psyche for a little while, practicing meditation. After all, beating up Yasu made my day a lot better.

 

We went out of the lake and sat inside our Minka house, drinking some green tea and eating crackers to relax before I decided that I really wanted the answer.

 

“So, what exactly happened in the fight?”

 

M: “Where should I start?” (Hisashi)

 

B: “You were awesome!” (Yasu)

 

S: “You know you can speak your mind, it helps us not be distracted. Which part would you like to ask about first?” (Hikari)

 

A lot of my skills weren’t available to me now so I had to find a way to start converting those to something usable here, that’s been a big thing for me and Hisashi. It’s also the time Hisashi is really Hisashi, that’s when I like him best.

 

“Right…”

 

B: “Well?” (Yasu)

 

Hisashi slapped Yasu in the back of his forehead but kept quiet. Yasu lowered his head and did the same.

 

I tried to get the words out of my mouth but I just felt stuck, it’s always been an issue but it’s been particularly bad now to get over this hurdle. I took a deep breath before looking Hikari, directly in the eyes.

 

“I’d like to know about the whole ordeal with the bloodline first.” (Kohaku)

 

She smiled at me and put down her cup, “See, you’re doing just fine. Let’s take it easy but to answer your question, I wasn’t the one who noticed the immediate change first. That responsibility belongs to…”

 

I slowly turned to face Yasu, who was balled up, facing the corner. Reminding me of a certain blonde character with the habit of annoying his friends. His red hair in a long ponytail with a headband on top failed to cover up the bruises I gave him. Not like he didn’t fight back so I wasn’t in the best shape either. Wearing armor over his black kimono and having his trusty naginata by his side.

 

I shuffled off my pillow and wrapped my arms around his neck and began to trail off, “Hey Yasu… That was a pretty mean right hook…”

 

M: “...” (Hisashi)

 

B: “Your suplex was flawless.” (Yasu)

 

S: “...” (Hikari)

 

“You really think so?!”

 

B: “I know so!” (Yasu)

 

“Bro!”

 

B: “Bro!” (Yasu)

 

.....

 

We embraced into a magnificent hug, the armor in front of Yasu wasn’t the most comfortable thing to be against but it got a lot comfier after he took it off. Which I never understood, a specter could just imagine something whether that be an object or place, and somehow influence our psyche. The person with the most control is Hisashi on his own through [Will], if I work with Hikaru our [Chakra] is leagues behind. Ah, that might get confusing, what should we call it?

 

***

 

“Just go with its normal name.” (???)

 

“Figures you’d be one for the classics” (Hibiki)

 

“He’d never change it for the world.” (????)

 

“Pfft- not like you were much better, Ms-” (Hibiki)

 

“WE DO NOT SPEAK OF THAT!” (????)

 

“Alright, alright. I’m sure you’ll talk about it anyway~. Back to your story, Kohaku!” (Hibiki)

 

***

 

Looks like we’re calling it [Intent] then. It’s still energy that connects the body and spirit unlike [Will], it’s more vague and unpredictable. You can intend to do something but do something else while you have the will to see something through if that makes sense.

 

[Qi] on the other hand didn’t have a place in the psyche, that was physical. Comparable to stamina, it’s the energy that allows us to push our bodies to their limits. Feats of the extreme like the bullets out of the steam I was able to produce without using chakra against Chino’s shield. 

 

B: “Well, I can’t deny that being here has felt a lot more freeing…” (Yasu)

 

“Is that feeling the same for all of you?” (Kohaku)

 

M: “Not particularly?” (Hisashi)

 

S: “I can’t really say I feel a difference yet.” (Hikari)

 

M: “Then I’ll purely blame the fact that he’s a monk.” (Hisashi)

 

S: “Your body is your greatest weapon after all.” (Hikari)

 

Yasu relaxed and turned me back towards everyone, now sticking to a back hug. Wrapping his legs around my waist and refusing to let go as I had to crawl my way back to the table. If it wasn’t for my physical form being my old one in here, I’d be a goner.

 

My short spiky black hair was streaked white with my poliosis, dark brown eyes. A muscular figure, I’d like to compare myself to Takeda Harumi if I do say so myself. I was in a navy kimono while I was here, otherwise, I revert back to being Kohaku back outside. We were still working out the kinks.

 

***

 

“He didn’t.” (???)

 

“No, I’m pretty sure he just did.” (????)

 

“I’ll leave that to the two of you if the time comes.” (Hibiki)

 

“Ahem!” (Kohaku)

 

“Right, sorry. Go on” (????)

 

***

 Tracing down my chest before grabbing a pec  Your body now has the qualities of a member of the Hoizuki clan, enjoy being a watery boy. Oh, and you already know, you’re a Chinoike.” (Yasu)

 

“Naturally?” (Kohaku)

 

B: “Well, yeah. Pretty sure that everything was just having a problem working together.” (Yasu)

 

“Is that why-” (Kohaku)

 

S: “We don’t need to talk about it but I think so.” (Hikari)

 

M: “I’m glad it’s over with, but this does pose a question.” (Hisashi)

 

S: “You mean of the others’ mentioned?” (Hikari)

 

M: “Yes, does this mean that everyone will have a strange combination, or are we the odd ones out and if not, have they awakened them yet or had them since the beginning?” (Hisashi)

 

“Are you saying we could’ve been an Uchiha?” (Kohaku)

 

M: “...” (Hisashi)

 

B: “...” (Yasu)

 

S: “...” (Hikari)

 

“WE COULD’VE BEEN AN UCHIHA?!” (Kohaku)

 

The rest of the night was pretty uneventful, aside from theorizing, Hikari gave me a massage both in and outside the mokoto, Me and Yasu sumo wrestled and we all chilled in the hot spring, a healthy body, a healthy mind, a healthy soul. I went back to dreaming…

 

Woke up covered in a cold sweat a few hours afterward, and my hands were still shaking a bit while I was getting ready. But there was no need to worry, this was a lot weaker than before. I guess being here really did reset everything. I was glad to be out of the dorms for once, it got a lot easier to calm myself after washing my face.

 

I wasn’t sure where to go, using [Mind’s Eye] was pretty invasive. I can’t say that it’s helped me just as much as it has scarred me. As much as Hikari is my voice of reason, she has a deep love for drama.  

 

She reminded me of someone but as much as I’ve tried to remember who, it’s just gotten harder. That’s been frustrating for Hizashi, some memories he’s kept have been blank. 

 

I exercised in my black shorts, going around the room on a handstand

 

It’s alright, there’s probably a re-

 

*BANG BANG*

 

“AHH!” Falling onto my back hurt like hell! 

 

“Chino…” (Oyashiro)

 

“Oh, my bad! Are you up? Oh, wait-” (Chino)

 

“Yeah, I’m up! Don’t open the door!” (Kohaku)

 

“...” (Oyashiro)

 

“Are you-” (Chino)

 

“NO, I’M CHANGING!” (Kohaku)

 

“That’s what I was going to say.” (Chino)

 

“Oh.” (Kohaku)

 

“Just meet us at the entrance and we’ll head on our way.” (Oyashiro)

 

“Got it!” (Kohaku)

 

I changed into a white high collared sleeveless undershirt and black cargo pants. It was nice to have my stuff in a scroll now. I’ll have to find out who gave it to me so I could thank them. It was a lot more convenient than the bag Futsuo got me.

 

Opening up the door, I walked out of the hotel I was in? I thought I was gonna be in a hospital for sure but it turned out I was alright or was I?

 

Healthy body, healthy mind, healthy body, healthy mind…

 

I looked myself over, no nicks, no cuts, no bruises. I was alright. I probably should’ve thought about this while I was exercising.

 

S: (No shit, Sherlock) (Hisashi)

 

B: (Sometimes you really get me thinking that the geezer's age has an effect on you) (Yasu)

 

M: (I- mmm… oh…. maybe…) (Hisashi)

 

(Hisashi, you’re fine. I love you.) (Kohaku)

 

M: (Mm? Ah, yes. Love you too, kiddo…) (Hisashi)

 

I was walking aside from Chino and could help but notice the looks from both of my fellow Chinoikes kept taking peeks back at me.

 

***

 

“But why?” (????)

 

“Why what?” (Kohaku)

 

“Why did you go with them instead of staying at the hotel? Wait, why were you at a hotel instead of a hospital?!” (???)

***

 

Oh, Well uh… Gosh right. Sorry, I’ll slow down. The coliseum isn’t somewhere people went to fight and earn money. It was more like the Romans, they’d get their… participants. We’re acquired. From liberated people caught again, those who were sold by bandits trying to make some extra cash. Or sold by people who didn’t want us anymore to richer people so they could start this chain of making money off of us. That’s at least supposed to be the case as long as we win.

 

If someone were to lose in the coliseum, we’d go to our opponents' owner. Those amongst us were normally treated better if we had a kekkai genkai but, that wasn’t always the case. This lasted so long because we were on an island that wasn’t marked by any map.

 

Regardless, I couldn’t tell if it was something wrong with the way I walked or dressed, maybe my hair?

 

En Oyashiro looked uncomfortable, it was when he fully just stopped that I knew something was wrong.

 

I was about to pull out a kunai from my side bag when he turned back and looked directly at me.

 

“Are you listening?” (Oyashiro)

 

“Huh?” (Kohaku)

 

“Pfft, he was really out of it” (Chino)

 

Fuck, he was talking to me?! Uhh…

 

S: (Oop, Looks like we got a little too much of your attention, we’ll cut off communication for a bit. Good luck with that!) (Hikari)

 

(FUCK WAIT! WHAT DID HE SAY?! NOOO!) (Kohaku)

 

My face was flushed as my heart felt like it was going to pump out of my chest. 

 

I’m doing something wrong, oh god. What did I miss? Is this it? 

 

My eyes darted around, I started to panic a little.

 

On the other hand, Chino was ecstatic. She was pretty great at hiding it if it wasn’t for the smile on her face that went up from time to time.

 

“Kohaku.” (Oyashiro)

 

Shit. I’m fucked, I screwed up, I knew it was too good to be true.

 

“Kohaku.” (Oyashiro)

 

God, Why'd he have to say it so straight-faced! “Y- yes?” (Kohaku)

 

He just stood there.

 

What the hell am I supposed to do?! I should’ve paid attention, I should’ve kept a close eye on everything. What if-

 

I totally managed to... keep my cool ... Ahem! 

 

“We’re in front of the clothing shop, are you ready to go inside?”

 

“Huh?” (Kohaku)

 

“Are you ready to go inside?” (Oyashiro)

 

“Weren't you listening? We said we’d get you something new.” (Chino)

 

“Oh! Uh... Yeah!” (Kohaku)

 

“Now, that’s the spirit!” (Chino)

 

Chino wrapped her arm around mine as she lead me inside. God, I could already feel the heated glare I was receiving behind me. Walking inside the place, I was shocked to see so many varieties. It was intoxicating.

 

As excited as I was, I felt sick to my stomach. I knew everything was too good to be true. I stopped to turn back before I embarrassed myself. Then Oyashiro covered up my eyes and turned me back around.

 

“Chino, if you wouldn’t mind?” (Oyashiro)

 

“Hehe! I’m on it, boss!” (Chino)

 

I heard her footsteps start to trail off the longer he kept me there.

 

“Hey, Kohaku?” (Oyashiro)

 

“Yes,... boss?” (Kohaku)

 

“Mm, We’ll deal with them later. Boss is fine for now.” (Oyashiro)

 

“For now?” (Kohaku)

 

“Forget it. You want to be able to do whatever you want right?” (Oyashiro)

 

“Umm…” (Kohaku)

 

“Well?” (Oyashiro)

 

“Y-yes, boss…” (Kohaku)

 

“It’s alright, we’re going to start slow.” (Oyashiro)

 

“A- alright?” (Kohaku)

 

“What colors do you want to wear?” (Oyashiro)

 

It was just like I feared, it was going to happen again. I couldn’t take it anymore.

 

“... Blacks and white, please?” (Kohaku)

 

(“Are you sure about that?”) (Oyashiro)

 

What the fuck was that?!

 

“Ah-... I-”

 

(“Oop, mai bad. Wrong timing?”) (---)

 

“Uh…” (Kohaku)

 

(Hey, —, ah no wait it’s… Kohaku, right?)

 

(Y-Yes?) (Kohaku)

 

(Ah don’t bother with the thinking right now. I’m just going to say it, do you mind if I borrow [Mind’s Eye] real quick?)

 

(What do you need it for?) (Kohaku)

 

(Ooh, I don’t know if it’s safe to say that here. How about I do something else?)

 

(Are we-) (Kohaku)

 

(Well, that’s really up for you to decide.)

 

YOU’RE NOT GIVING ME ANYTHING TO WORK WITH HERE

 

(Hey, Kahuko?)

 

(WHAT?!, It's KOHAKU, KO-HA-KU!)

 

( Pfft! That’s better. The anxiety was annoying to feel, it’s better to just show something else. I’ll do you this solid only because it’s you.)

 

(A-Alright?) (Kohaku)

 

(You can’t avoid the plotted events, some will try but certainly, no one can.)

 

(You mean all ten?) (Kohaku)

 

(Pfft- yeah, all ten.)

 

(You just lied.) (Kohaku)

 

(Shit, fuck you!)

 

(I’ll lend it to you.) (Kohaku)

 

(Lo- Wait what?)

 

(I said, I’ll lend it to you.)

 

(... What do you want?)

 

What do I want…

 

*** 

(Flashback)

I was standing in a hospital room in front of the figure of my father, just struggling to inhale. As frail as he look, he gripped my hand tightly. 

“... Is this really what you wanted?”

***

 

(How can I find myself?) (Kohaku)

 

(That’s about the dumbest question I’ve heard in a long ass time. And I hear questions often.)

 

(Fine! Then, could you give me some advice?) (Kohaku)

 

(On wha- You know what? Sure, let’s do that. )

 

(Gre-) (Kohaku)

 

(When all seems like it’s going dark, just follow your heart. It’s never failed you once. Also, for the love of god slow down!)

 

The whole world around me felt like it was spinning, I wasn’t moving but I still felt the rush. Then, in a snap, it was over.

 

(Thank you very much, my good sir!)

 

(Ugh…) (Kohaku)

 

(Yeah, sorry. I have that effect on people sometimes. It should be all good now.)

 

(Do I know you?) (Kohaku)

 

(Mm… more or less, still depends on you. Chiao!)

 

(Hey wait!) (Kohaku)

 

(Ugh, just this once.)

 

(Will we meet again?) (Kohaku)

 

(... I hope so…)

 

“So, what’s your choice?” (Oyashiro)

 

“... Is it really alright to wear anything?”

 

“W-well yeah. It’s fine now…” (Oyashiro)

 

“Heh, slow down huh?”

 

“Sorry, what was that?”

 

“I said, how about we start with violet then. I really do like the color of Chino’s eyes.” I knew what I had to do, The grin on my face was widening as I looked up at him.

 

“WHY YOU!” (Oyashiro)

 

“I GOT THE STUFF!” (Chino)

 

“UGH, Fine! Let’s get started then.” (Oyashiro)

 

I didn’t understand a lot back then but dad always told me, you live and you learn. It was about time I really started putting that into practice. If I was going to do this I had to do it right, starting with making the most of what I have. We’ll worry about everything else later.

5