Chapter 44- Purification Connections!
16 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I get in my head too much about posting and editing. I'll keep the word count per chapter around 1.5-1.7k to stay on schedule from now on. It's fun to write but, editing... (T^T) Enjoy the chapter and thanks for reading!

 

*Click*

 

“You look better. That’s good.” (Hotaru)

 

Sat on zabutons, I took a glance across the table with two cups at the bright-eyed boy with hair lighter than cherry blossoms and eyes I’d say was closer to Kurenai. Tusk-toothed and lost in a world of his own.

 

I wanted to use my eyes again but, that makeshift stuff was enough of a number on me. He was dazed, to say the least, or his head always looked empty. I thought he was talking to his specters so I stayed quiet for a while, but I couldn’t avoid this forever.

 

“Yeah! I feel a lot better too!” I couldn’t tell you how relieved I was when he responded.

 

“...” (Hotaru)

 

“...” (Kohaku)

 

‘What now?!’

 

“Ugh! I don’t know how to do this?!” I ran my fingers through my hair.

 

“I thought you already did it.” (Kohaku)

 

‘Miroku must’ve caught him up.’

 

“Yeah but, we didn’t hang out. We just ran.” I pointed back and forth between us.

 

“It's something.” He shrugged.

 

I couldn’t handle another period of silence so, I kept the conversation going with what I could.

 

“... You never did explain that.” (Hotaru)

 

“Hm?” (Kohaku)

 

“Why were you running in the first place?” (Hotaru)

 

“Oh! I was chasing Kuda and ran into Hanashi and he got super scary. You should’ve seen it! I started running and that's when we met.”

 

‘The math isn’t mathing.’

 

“That’s… weird…” (Hotaru)

 

We ran for hours and didn’t spot him coming after us until the end, something gotta be up with that. We didn’t see Makoto either!

 

“Right! But what about you?” (Kohaku)

 

“Me? I flung Usami away after catching her. Then I ran with you.” (Hotaru)

 

“You what?” (Kohaku)

 

‘Oh?’

 

“Yeet that bitch.” I couldn’t help my smile at that point.

 

“For what?” Kohaku leaned closer across the table.

 

‘We got a little more feeling in that one.’

 

“Making me run!” I crossed my arms.

 

“But wasn’t she super soft?!” (Kohaku)

 

‘Huh?’

 

“...Yeah, so?” (Hotaru)

 

“You didn’t think she was cute?!” He stood up like he got a call his partner was going to have a baby.

 

B: "We got an animal freak on our hands!" (Jack)

 

S: "I wonder why they act differently to you all." (Ella)

 

M: "You think their relationships are going to be the same?"

 

S: "On the contrary, I believe they’re all after the same thing. Don’t you?" (Ella)

 

M: “Mmm.”

 

“She’s cute.” (Hotaru)

 

“You don’t like animals?!” I kid you not, he audibly gasped at that!

 

“I like some. Bunnies aren’t my thing.” (Hotaru)

 

‘That’s a gotta be a safe answer.’

 

“Okay, what kind do you like?” (Kohaku)

 

‘He took that from a 7 to a 3 real quick.’

 

“...ts.” (Hotaru)

 

“What did you say?” (Kohaku)

 

“...” (Hotaru)

 

“Hm?” (Kohaku)

 

I stood up in a huff and pointed at him. “You have to promise not to be weird when I say it!”

 

“Okay!” (Kohaku)

 

‘QUIT BEING SO FRIENDLY!’

 

“I-in-insects…” (Hotaru)

 

“Do you have a favorite?” (Kohaku)

 

I could already feel the warmth spreading across my face. I spoke while taking a seat, “Let’s talk about something else.”

 

“What do you want to talk about?” He sat too, excited to chat.

 

‘That’s right! Let’s get the pressure off me!’

 

“Hmm…, Okay. What did Hanashi talk to you about while we left.” (Hotaru)

 

“Nothing much…” Kohaku trailed off.

 

I didn’t know what I was expecting but he looked away after I said that. Like what was I supposed to say to that? That silence did get me some more.

 

“W-was that on purpose?” (Kohaku)

 

‘What’s this?’

 

“Yes? I don’t know much. After you fell into his arms you’ve been in his care since.” I took a sip from the tea growing cold to distract my train of thought.

 

“Care?” His face deadpanned like the one I saw earlier.

 

“Pfft!” There went my tea.

 

It took a couple of back pats to stop my cough.

 

“What? Did I say something funny?” Kohaku wiped his face with his shirt.

 

“N-no. Sorry.” (Hotaru)

 

“Alright…” Kohaku returned to his side of the table.

 

“So~?” (Hotaru)

 

“...So?” (Kohaku)

 

“Spill! What happened?!” (Hotaru)

 

“It’s nothing important.” (Kohaku)

 

“So, it’s not nothing?” (Hotaru)

 

“...” (Kohaku)

 

“C’mon just a little bit.” (Hotaru)

 

“Mmm…” (Kohaku)

 

“Teensy bit.” (Hotaru)

 

“We were talking about our deal.” (Kohaku)

 

“Okay, okay. The romantic kind?” (Hotaru)

 

“No! We owe each other a favor.” (Kohaku)

 

“Ooh, that's fun.” (Hotaru)

 

“You think so?” (Kohaku)

 

“You have something in mind?” (Hotaru)

 

“I don’t know. Maybe?” (Kohaku)

 

“That sounds perfect for you.” (Hotaru)

 

“Hm?” (Kohaku)

 

“If anything, you could make an adventure out of it.” (Hotaru)

 

I want to be clear. I was joking!

 

I didn’t know what to say when he went silent, and his eyes got wider by the second.

 

“You’re right!” He slammed his hands onto the table and I had to move his cup away before he made a splash zone.

 

“Woah, easy there!” I placed his cup back on the table.

 

“There's so much I could ask for.” (Kohaku)

 

“Is there? I mean we just started.” I took smaller sips of what I had left.

 

“Oh…” He settled down and grabbed his cup.

 

“No need to get down, It’s something to think about.” (Hotaru)

 

“Mhm.” Finally, he took a sip of that damn tea.

 

“That I am.” I could finally rest in peace. IF I COULD!

 

From there talking to Kohaku didn’t feel like it was going to be as much of a chore as I thought. We went from talking about being here to what we chose to be in-game.

 

We could see a little bit of that in this form as two small sheets of paper landed on the table.

 

“Tusk?!” (Kohaku)

 

I felt like every time we talked there was always a one-word question back so, I tested it a little.

 

“Yeah? Haven’t looked in a mirror?” (Hotaru)

 

We only had the reflection from my dagger to go off of. It was funny watching him play around angling it.

 

“I didn’t have any when I made my vessel…” (Kohaku)

 

‘No wonder they look like nubs.’

 

“You sure you’re going to be alright? You got sick before coming here and got sick here but, you aren’t in your actual body.” (Hotaru)

 

“I don’t know. How was getting here for you?” He shrugged and slid my dagger across the table.

 

‘Different question! I cracked the code!’

 

“The bugs here were a lot bigger than normal animals. Makoto got us a ride from a turtle. It went pretty smooth.” (Hotaru)

 

“Wait, really?” (Kohaku)

 

“Yeah, but then we had to go through some prickly bramble blocking out the way. We had to say goodbye to our turtle friend and I had Jack help us.” (Hotaru)

 

“Jack is?” (Kohaku)

 

“My body specter. I thought it’d be weirder to say I put my body to work.” (Hotaru)

 

“You could’ve just said your psyche. Nobody says which.” (Kohaku)

 

‘... What the fuck did he just say? Nobody? Shiiit, guess his memory must’ve been helpful then. Grannie looked at me like I was a weirdo… which isn’t wrong…’

 

I couldn’t tell what exactly was going on. There were these moments when his eyes glazed over. I could wave my hand in front of his face and get nothing at all. He’d be fine but it was odd...

 

I picked up one of the papers from the table that Kohaku eyed.

 

“We got out with a couple of scratches before tree hopping. That was exhausting…, You?”

 

He snapped out of it, “It was a lot of running and falling, almost getting eaten. I made it here alright.”

 

‘Your outfit had more holes and tears than swiss cheese…’

 

“Did you even have time to sleep?” (Hotaru)

 

“We got to sleep?” HE TILTED HIS HEAD! THIS FUCKING GOLDEN RETRIEVER DIDN’T HEAR A DAMN WORD!

 

***

 

“Hey, in my defense-” (Kohaku)

 

“““THERE IS NONE!!!””” (Hotaru + Makoto + Hanashi)

 

***

 

“For the love of-, how toned out of the conversation with Sirus were you?!” (Hotaru)

 

“He gave us the… ball thingies and let us go.” (Kohaku)

 

I wanted to give up there but, I decided to add the words, adventure, treasure, and bunny whenever his posture became more relaxed and his eyes looked droopy. By the end of it, he was miserable so I was certain he got it.

 

When I looked at the paper, the direction he took our conversation made more sense.

 

- How dirty did you get? (Complete)

 

- How hurt were you when you got here? (Complete)

 

- How tired were you when you arrived? (Complete)

 

Once completed, you may begin.

 

I finished the remaining tea before I got up. “You ready to start?”

 

“C-can I ask you something?” (Kohaku)

 

I was skipping down the hall never happier getting into someone else’s business. When I passed the door and skipped backward. I let out a deep breath.

 

The doors opened on their own and revealed the courtyard. Various shrubs and flora surrounded a moss-covered stone torii gate. Nobody and everybody were present.

 

I would've been concerned if it wasn’t for the circumstances, but each wall concealed this place. I guess this must’ve been one of those places I couldn’t have passed through.

 

But looking at it weighed on me.

 

This was it.

 

Once I went through that gate. There’s no going back…

 

Anyways, on the other side.

 

***

 

“You didn’t stop?” (Makoto)

 

“Nope, bad bitch era was one step away!” (Hotaru)

 

***

 

Passing through this gate was like dipping your hand into water. Once you broke the surface you were there.

 

(Please keep note of that.)

 

M: "Don’t need to tell me twice."

 

S: "You’ll share them with me, won’t you?" (Ella)

 

M: "Die in a ditch and I’ll consider it."

 

It was like passing into a reflection except, the courtyard was in grayscale and open for the world to see. Not even the sky or trees had any color to them this time.

 

The portal Sirus made was like the place we started. A tunnel. You didn’t feel anything walking into it, but you could only move so much. Took ten minutes or so. We all felt queasy afterward.

 

“Hotaru, over here!” I could make out the one white rabbit across from me and my way.

 

“Looks like it's you and me.” (Hotaru)

 

“Um, actually…” (Usami)

 

“Boss, I was right! I win!” (Kumo)

 

“Guess so.” (Hanashi)

 

Ah, the target of my torment. Another half-elf! Our ears weren’t as long as regular elves like Grannie's.

 

Usami tapped my leg, “Hotaru?”

 

“Huh?” (Hotaru)

 

“They’re already heading inside.” (Usami)

 

“Wha! Hey! Wait up!” I grabbed Usami and dashed them.

 

Luckily, the duo stopped in front of another torii gate, past it you could see the open grounds of the shrine.

 

“Boss look, the witch is no more!” (Kumo)

 

“WHO ARE YOU CALLING A WITCH?!” (Hotaru)

 

The snake reeled back under Hanashi’s kosode while he raised an eyebrow, “You’re done cackling to yourself?”

 

“I-I didn’t…” (Hotaru)

 

“Kumo, that’s not the right word anyways. It’s bitch. B-I-T-C-H.” (Hanashi)

 

“Bitch! Witch Bitch!” (Kumo)

 

“That’s better.” He nodded approvingly

 

“WHAT ARE YOU TEACHING HIM?!” (Hotaru)

 

The two of them looked me up and down before turning to the entrance. Without a word, we both bowed our heads and took our first step inside with our left foot.

 

“Hey! Talk to me!!” (Hotaru)

 

“What about?” (Hanashi)

 

“Did it hurt?” (Hotaru)

 

“You felt it first, you tell me.” (Hanashi)

 

“...She suuuper hot.” (Hotaru)

 

“Mhm.” (Hanashi)

 

“I don’t regret getting it.” (Hotaru)

 

“I don’t know how to take that.” (Hanashi)

 

“Welcome.”

 

“You don’t think it was hot?” (Hotaru)

 

“I didn’t think we’d be having this conversation.” We walked up to the center of the shrine’s ground where a temizuya was and picked up the hishakus to cleanse ourselves.

 

“I think the one she gave you was better than mine.” (Hotaru)

 

“H-Hello?”

 

“So, being hit by women-” Hanshi cupped some water into his hand.

 

I rinsed my mouth and spat the water onto the rocks, “Hot women.” (Hotaru)

 

“Right…, Hot women are good? Kohaku said he was jealous…” We were fucking acing it! I didn’t get what she said about help being there if needed.

 

“IT’S AN HONOR!” (Hotaru)

 

Ahem…, He’s got good taste in women too then.” I sort of forgot what I was mad about. I wasn’t going to hear Kohaku but, I get it.

 

Those tits were hypnotizing. He made me feel like my chest was flat by comparison.

 

‘I bet they jiggle…’

 

“HEY!!!”

 

““What?!”” We turned back to be looking at some see-through lady.

 

“I’m here to help you cleanse-”

 

“We just did that.” (Hotaru)

 

“She’s as blind as a bat.” (Hanashi)

 

“Can’t even be polite. Instead, she’s yelling at us!” (Hotaru)

 

“Not even materialized or nothing. Who’s going to see you when you’re as clear as glass?” Hanashi started waving his hand in front of his face.

 

“All ephemeral and on a high horse, pipe down!” (Hotaru)

 

“....” Ghost motherfucker. Speechless.

 

Her outfit kind of looked like Miroku's too, her hair was kept at shoulder length. I was guessing 60 or so.

 

“Finally, some quiet.” (Hanashi)

 

*WHEEEZE*

 

“See what you did, now she’s dying.” (Hanashi)

 

“I…can’t…” (Hotaru)

 

“Go on? Don’t worry, I’ll sure you’ll get your reparations beyond the grave.” He clapped his hands together in prayer.

 

“AHAHA!” (Hotaru)

 

“Hey, don’t actually die on me.” (Hanashi)

 

We went on to drop our money into the offering box before clapping twice and praying at the altar.

 

Bowing at the end brought along an “A-Ahem!” behind us.

 

We turned back to a short (Hot) looking old lady staring with something I thought was supposed to be a smile on her face.

 

The vein popping out of her forehead said otherwise.

 

***

 

“Salt and pepper hair, MMM! Beauty mark under her right eye.” *BANG BANG BANG* 

 

“You know who gets to see this too~.” (Hibiki)

 

“... SHE WAS SO FINE!” (Hotaru)

 

“BWAHAHA!” (Kohaku)

 

***

 

I was at a loss for words. It was one hottie after the next. It’s not fair that every grown person I met was fucking hot! Baddies for days, except Grannie. … What? I thought I was running a fever. She walked us over to a fortune shop, pulled out two wooden boxes, and said, " Don’t open it until we leave. I couldn’t computer and kept quiet. I HAD TO!

 

Making a fool out of myself then would’ve been a nightmare, I was already dreading everything we said. Just nodding my head was enough. By the time I calmed down, she was waving us off as we bowed in front of the Torii Gate.

 

 “We fucked up…” (Hotaru)

 

“Could be, glad she didn’t take it to heart. She did say we’ll be meeting a lot of shrine maidens like her.” (Hanashi)

 

“Like her?” (Hotaru)

 

“Shrine maidens, Priest, Monks, Divinity. There’s a lot of spiritual people who accidentally make their way here. She’s responsible for this one.” (Hanashi) “You think we’ll see her again?” (Hotaru)

 

“Only time can tell.” (Hanashi)

 

“Fuck that cryptic BS, we don’t even know her name!” (Hotaru)

 

““You don’t.”” (Usami + Hanashi)

 

A chill ran down my spine and I stopped. Usami hopped off my head and landed in Hanshi’s arms.

 

“H-hey… you’d tell me, right?” (Hotaru)

 

They spoke in sync, like something out of a horror movie. ““I don’t know, what does it mean to you?””

 

‘I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE TORMENTOR! WHAT THE FUCK DID I MISS?!’

 

A chill rand down my spine just thinking about it. I finished wiping down the last bobble and set it back on the weird array of items on the shelf.

 

“CANDY!”

 

“Ugh…, Coming!” (Hotaru)

 

And before I forget…., Ta-dah!

 

[(C) Sensei-ception!] (Completed)

 

It's time to exorcise!

Only one of each could represent their side. Your compatibility with [Soul] will shine through during your stay.

 

-Impress your hostess.

 

Balancers: 4

 

Loot: Instructor + Skill Book: Forged Restraint + Skill Book: Judgement

Bonus: Temporary Crafter’s Salvation Access

 

*Click*

 

2