Chapter 46- Position of Possession
10 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hello Hello! Sorry about the no post last week but, it sort of segues into what I want to talk about.  My late classes have started so now I'm hustling and bustling and ngl, it's kinda overwhelming. So while I was trying to reach a certain point in the story before I do this, I think I gotta call it a little early and have this story a hiatus. Just until I sort things out and adjust to my new workflow. I'm thinking either 2 weeks or a month. 

Thank you all for reading up to this point. This next arc is going to tie in a couple strings I have so let's see if you can find out which and shift our focus on the next freak of the group!

 

*Click*

-Hotaru's POV-

 

Each of us made our way out of the pod as Sirus was floating over the center.

 

“Were you able to find anything?” 

 

“Nope!” Kohaku responded with a giant grin on his face.

 

‘Golden retriever is pretty fitting.’

 

“We were looking for something?” Hanashi pulled out a bottle from what I assumed to be his inventory before popping it open and taking a swig..

 

“We got it! Dream team!” I pumped my fists into the air

 

“D-dream team…” Makoto followed like he hand to crank up his arm slowly.

 

“DREAM TEAM!” (Hotaru)

 

“Alright, then let’s run back on what we know about the Howler and add on.”

 

There were a few things to consider, we haven’t actually seen the thing for 1. Whatever it was, it didn’t like what Makoto did. And that the number of victims is undetermined. 

 

“It’s a remnant, is that supposed to mean something special?”

 

“Hmm…” (Makoto)

 

“Hanashi?” (Sirus)

 

“Nothing here.” (Hanshi)

 

“... How about you, Hotaru?” (Sirus)

 

‘So that’s why we had to stick with text. Let’s just…’

 

“We’re saying a forgotten clan… How old would a clan have to be to count as forgotten?” (Hotaru)

 

“If you’re going to ask that it’s more like, how efficiently could a clan be forgotten?” (Hanashi)

 

“Better yet, what makes a clan be forgotten?” (Makoto)

 

We all stood around the pods putting our heads together.

 

‘If a clan was to just die out they wouldn’t be forgotten. Every clan I’ve heard of had some history behind them so it can’t just be like no one has ever heard of them, right?’

 

M: (So far. The Naras, Amichichi, and Hyugas. You name it.)

 

(Is that all I know?) (Hotaru)

 

M: ”(..Uzumakis, Kuramas, Yamanka? There’s a couple more.)

 

(That’s good.) (Hotaru)

 

Kohaku spoke up, “Like mind control!”

 

“A genjutsu?”, I shrugged.

 

“...Eh, could be...” Makoto rested his chin on his fingers.

 

You could hear the drink splashing in the bottle while he spoke, “Probably with a little more kick to it. I don’t know how long one can last.” (Hanashi)

 

‘Super genjutsu?’

 

“That doesn’t make sense. People haven’t been attacked before this. If that’s the case, we wouldn’t have just heard of it now.”

 

He had a point but, this sorta sounded like dirty laundry.

 

“Mm… Sounds like withholding information~!” I was jealous. That drink must’ve been good.

 

“Does it have to be just one?” (Hotaru)

 

Everyone turned to look at me. Er- Mostly everyone, Sirius was a light ball. I don’t know if he needs to turn… I think he’s turned before. That was a turn, right?

 

“Oooh, you’re asking if this is a first.” (Hanashi)

 

“We just got involved, right? Who’s to say this hasn’t happened before?” (Hotaru)

 

“Who can say that border is in a good enough state?” (Kohaku)

 

“Exactly!” (Hotaru)

 

‘We went from going through limbo to get to Miroku’s psyche for help and crossing back into limbo...’

 

M: (Isn’t the answer something simpler. You went through all that to get what you need.)

 

S: (So this is where you were hiding.) (Ella)

 

M: (Shit!)

 

B: (No escape!) (Jack)

 

“Sirus?” (Hanashi)

 

“... The dimensional border is fine now.” (Sirus)

 

“Not always?” (Kohaku)

 

“... No.” (Sirus)

 

“Is there a way we could make sure it doesn’t happen again?” (Makoto)

 

“Straying there a little, what I want to know is what happened?” (Hanashi)

 

“I don’t know.” (Sirus)

 

‘But we’re doing this out of our actual bodies. At least, right now.’

 

“So let me get this straight, you take us from our homes in the midst of the night, ask for our help and while we’re trying to figure this out, you can’t help us?”

 

He didn’t tell me what happened but, Makoto was more than willing.

 

‘You might be right. We got these to…’

 

“There’s only so much I know.” (Sirus)

 

“... Alright. I can get that.” Hanashi sighed and got back to his bottle.

 

“ Hanashi?” I looked up at the drinker in the room.

 

“What’s up?” (Hanashi)

 

‘This might be more of a two-way street than I thought.’

 

Other than the deal, he said the problem was a one-word answer. We’re here to exorcise after all. So it had to be- 

 

“Possesion.” (Hotaru)

 

He snapped his finger into a finger gun my way, “Bingo!” 

 

“It can’t be,” Makoto replied so quickly like that was law.

 

“In a world where we can throw around balls of fire, fly apparently and exorcise you don’t think that’s possible. Why are you so against it anyways? It’s not like we haven’t done it already.” Hanashi sat down cradling the bottle.

 

“We aren’t there. we’re here. Our bodies stay here!” (Makoto)

 

I forgot to ask about the quest but since everyone did get a grade I was putting the clues together.

 

‘The invitation… ’

“Sirus? Is this form visible to a regular person?” (Hotaru)

 

<No, not unless the request is fulfilled.> (Sirus)

 

“Request?”, I asked.

 

His steadily hovering form froze in place, getting lower and lower until we were at eye level.

 

“Nobody told you about it?” A spark of lightning traced its way down his spherical body.

 

“I… Forgot!” Kohaku had a giant grin plastered on his face.

 

<Forgot?!> (Sirus)

 

“Were we supposed to?”, Hanshi yawned.

 

<SUPPOSED TO?!> The more he heard their answers the more I thought Sirus’ was like a weird bubble. His form would shift and spike but return to the same spherical shape after he yelled.

 

“...”, and Makoto looked away.

 

<N-NOTHING?!> (Sirus)

 

“““…””” Nothing. Sirius’ body was shifting like crazy for a minute until he said, < J-J-JUST FOLLOW ME!> and zipped off, leaving a yellow streak behind him.

 

“Hm…, Piss baby.” Hanshi followed.

 

But after that comment, I stopped in my tracks. ‘Oh no… I can see it.’

 

Nobody said anything but we all kept at least a foot distance away from the swerving piss, er- light across the room.

 

Down the same winding hall, moving past all torches lining the walls and doors whether it was chained shut or not until we reached the end. It only got harder with everyone pressing their backs against the wall or low crawling to the end.

 

He ‘turned’ back to us, <What are you->

 

“You don’t want to know,” I smiled.

 

<...Right…> (Sirus)

 

Unlike the entrance the end split the doors, sliding into the walls, and making way for a replica of the upper halls, almost. At the very center of it, was a crystal the size of a truck. Suspended in the air.

 

There wasn’t a pod in sight but, these long cylindrical devices against the walls. Can we guess how many?

 

Twelve! Just like the pods!

 

***

 

“What sort of educational program would you even host?” (Hibiki)

 

“The Arsonist’s ABCs maybe” (Kohaku)

 

“Counting with Calamity?” (Hibiki)

 

“The Witching Hour.” (Makoto)

“Ooh! I love that one the most!” (Hotaru)

 

***

We all approached the center and watched colored circuit lines run through the elevated platform until they became solid white.

 

<Everyone has been to AVRIL to satiate the mind and Limbo for the soul. With this, everything is set.

 

You can’t always face your problems head-on, sometimes at all. This is merely an opportunity and up to you all to reach it. 

 

So, who’s ready to start?>

 

***

 

-???’s POV-

 

The stars blanketed the dark sky as I watched the subject writhe in their sleep from a distance. Taking note of the collective miasma steadily growing when a set of footsteps approached.

 

“Isn’t it beautiful?”

 

“I agreed to help you on your little side project and you show up now?” I handed my notepad over without a second glance.

 

“I-I was just getting a quick bite before coming here.” They awkwardly laughed, taking the notepad from my hands.

 

“Mhm… Who do we have to clean up?”

 

“I took care of it myself!”

 

“Right…” I already feel my eyes rolling before I gave it any thought.

 

“The sky really is beautiful.” 

 

“Looks like we can agree occasionally.”

 

“Do you want it this time?”

 

“Hmm, maybe… I can see why you like it but, there’s so much more to do.”

 

“Aww…”

 

“Let’s be on our way. The hour is almost up. We can’t be giving ourselves away so soon.”

 

“I don’t think that matters much now.”

 

“And who’s fault is that?”

 

They held their silence and the miasma around the subject spiked. Whatever they experience after knocked them down a couple pegs and I hate to say it, but I miss their arrogance from time to time.

 

‘There they go again.’

 

I looked them over before patting their head, “I’ll make it up to you. Let’s keep practicing back at the keep.”

 

We walked through a torri gate into the bleak village path. I could’ve sworn I heard something behind us as we moved through. I looked back but couldn’t make out anything at that point.

 

***

 

-Hotaru’s POV-

 

I barely managed to keep my eyes on the board this week. Luckily, we spent most of our time outside. Having everything I do with Yakumo be seen as some publicity show to the rest of the clan weighed on my mind.

 

Even worse was thinking about who I replaced. If I even did. Who was Hotaru before I was Hotaru? Why did she smile at me?

 

‘At least, I’m not alone.’

 

“Kuramas!”

 

“Ready?” Yakumo turned to me.

 

“Mhm.” I nodded.

 

I didn’t see what was happening in a similar light to the others. A chance to go all out, to leave everything you have there on the field and not regret a single minute.

 

B: “Give it a shot!” (Jack)

 

(Now you’re speaking my language!)

 

Iwasa-sensei handed us five kunais to toss into a target that had a circle around its center. The closer we got to the center the better. It just felt like a display at this point.

 

It was a display.

 

“BEGIN!” (Iwasa)

 

Away from having to be lesser than my sister. I tossed my first kunai and struck the outer rim.

 

‘Shoot!’

 

S: (Easy does it.) (Ella)

 

I straightened my posture before letting the second one fly loose, hitting the line separating the two.

 

A show of pride, clans want their members to outdo others. The field was already riddled with kunais from the civilian kids mainly. None of us were able to keep up with that Uchiha boy anyways.

 

1 in the center, 1 on the line, 2 outside, and 1 miss.

 

I looked over at Yakumo’s board.

 

2 in the center and 3 outside.

 

“Nice aim, Sis.” (Hotaru)

 

“You too.” (Yakumo)

 

“I’ll beat you next time.” (Hotaru)

 

“I won’t make it easy.” (Yakumo)

 

I smiled, “I wouldn’t have it any other way.” 

 

I guess that whole conversation had me a little shaken. It put me at ease seeing Yakumo always so calm.

 

‘I’m pretty sure those were fighting words.’

 

S+B+M: (Definitely.)

 

That makes for the last of today. Checking up on our run times, shuriken and kunai throws, Taijutsu, and village knowledge bi-weekly was annoying.

 

No one wanted to be pitted against the Hyugas and Uchiha kids, I’ve seen the same from upper clansmen…. Not that I was spying.

 

Getting punched in the face wasn’t how I was hoping to go about the day so I tried imitating how the others dodged. Not perfectly but, good enough. 

 

Readjusting from being fully grown made me misstep occasionally. If it was any more matches I’d be out in no time.

 

Anko picked us up with Naruto, Shikamaru, and Choji in tow and made our way over to Ichirakus to eat. The boys decided to hang out longer so it was just us and Anko on our way home.

 

“Something happened?” (Hotaru)

 

“I was thinking…” (Yakumo)

 

“Yeah?.” (Hotaru)

 

“Why don’t we try hanging out with the girls more?” (Yakumo)

 

I nearly stopped walking when she said that.

 

‘Now I can go along with it or finally, address the elephant in the room…Mom isn’t gonna like me much after this one.’

 

Children are very emotional. To be around our clansmen for this answer would probably break that facade, so I waited. 

 

Those were my thoughts at least when I was sitting on my knees next to Anko and dad… While mom stared at us.

 

“Hotaru…” (Uroko)

 

“You all make this so confusing!” (Hotaru)

 

*Click*

2