Chapter 49- Dog Fight!
4 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Did I go back and edit a whole scene into this and be a stat disaster?... Maybe. Was it worth it? Absolutely!

 

*Click*

 

‘OH NO! OH NO! OH NO!’


The dread I was holding back was swelling when I was jerked back from the swiping claw. My heart pounded as I look back at my lifesaver in the form of Taruho with a grin until the disguise disappeared and the pointy elven ears returned that smile somewhere it belonged.

*BAM*

“Tag! You’re it!” (Hanashi)

 

“W-W-WHAT?!” (Makoto)

 

“Aw, don’t be silly Ma… Eh, I’ll work on a nickname later. But, it’s your turn now.” (Hanashi)

 

“Y-you’re joking…” (Makoto)

 

“Better watch out, here they come.” He turned my head to the right as we could now clearly make out the 7-foot frame bum-rushing towards us again before it was struck with a magenta mist around a fist. 

 

*BAM*

 

Numbers flew overhead as the creature was sent flying with a sickening-

 

[-10]

 

*SPPLSSH* *THUD*

 

“Woah…” Kohaku stared in awe at his own strength.

 

“A-a-” (Makoto)

A long whistle trailed from Hanashi as he set me straight and started fixing my outfit a little.

“It wasn’t doing that earlier.” Kohaku stared at his glowing fist with stars in his eyes.

“No shit. It’s cause you’re with us now.” (Hanashi)

“ARRROOOO.”

 

I got a look at the vein bulging out the side of the lanky figure wielding a spear wrapped in beads and feathers. A mane of coarse black hair ran down its back into the remnants of a kimono on one side. Simply bound by the number of dirty wraps covering the waist.

 

“Hey, we got company.” I automatically stood still when he started.

 

“You mean that werewolf reject?” He turned that dark green gaze up at me with the beast sauntering with a sway.

 

“I-” (Makoto)

 

“The one that lost sight of their goal in the pursuit of power and got their clan killed?” (Hanashi)

The name panel popped up when I kept my eyes on the humanoid beast, growling.

[- - - - -   the Exiled]

 

[HP: 235/250]

 

‘How can he just say that?’

 

“It’s okay. Not like that failure is going to be able to do anything anyways.” (Hanashi)

 

“YOU!” The faint red energy surrounded the gnoll as he pointed at Hanashi's back. Wrapping around him and fading.

 

“You were able to learn their name. No?” (Hanashi)

 

“We did…” (Makoto)

 

‘What is he up to?’

 

“Good. Ready, fool?” (Hanashi)

“As ever!” Kohaku bumped his fist together and the other hand lit up.

 

“Why don’t you whisper it to me? If you don’t mind, of course.” Hanashi tilted my chin and leaned in closer.

 

“RAAAAHHH!” The hyena ran at us, spear in hand as Kohaku ran to it with a ringed staff in hand.

 

Hotaru got her connection to this from Hanashi but had us do the questioning instead. The conversation was kept short if I exclude Hotaru’s grilling of the guy. Good cop, Bad Cop is what she called it.

 

Not that it got us very far.

 

Where it did get us was the location of a destroyed village. Blackened stone and ash covered the site. I guessed that the remaining weaponry would’ve looked like the gnoll’s if it still remained.

 

Two ripples formed on his body, one at the shoulder and waist. The gnoll reeled back while Kohaku wildly wielded the jingling staff. Just catching it in his mouth and lifting Kohaku in the air before getting punched in the nose and being forced to let go.

 

[-0]

[-0]

 

[-7]

 

“Such a name for someone like that. Interesting…” (Hanashi)

 

“Why are you still here?! He needs help!” (Makoto)

 

He tilted his head, “I said it already.

 

Your turn.” He walked right past me.

 

Past the remaining copies of us, his words rang out in my head.

 

***

“This is all I got. The rest is up to you.” (Hanashi)

 

“What?” (Makoto)

 

“You lead just fine. I’ll get them there, then you take charge. Simple enough.”

 

“You’re joking…, right?” (Makoto)

***

 

‘HE WASN’T JOKING!’

 

“Riri, Aoi!” (Makoto)

“I’m on it, Master!” In the puff of smoke, Aoi flew out of Hanashi’s double, shooting feathers at the gnoll.

 

[-1]

[-2]

[-1]

[-1]

[-2]

 

(Whatever you say.) (Riri)

 

A sigil of a compass rose appeared in the circle since I picked up the watch and lit up north before the possessed for of Yuuki appeared as I drew my bow.

 

The small pup’s white fur shimmered with flecks of gold flew out to make the lightning clone join the fray before returning to sheer white.

 

[Ice Arrow]

 

The gnoll swept Kohaku’s leg with its own and ducked the arrow before running at us.

 

The number over Kohaku’s head raised my concerns over what that spear would do if that was just the gnoll physically.

 

[-15]

 

[Kohaku]

 

[105/200]

 

Riri growled and a small circle of air surrounded the clone’s muzzle as the clouds shadowed the sky. I caught the bunny hopping and spitting small red balls of fire surrounding the back wall and I caught the odd reflection of something beside me with [Eagle Eyes].

 

‘Momo?’

 

I couldn’t catch sight of Hanashi as I backed away, notching another arrow.

 

“Aren’t you going to fight?” (Makoto)

 

(You couldn’t detect its attack. It will set its sight on you.) (Riri)

 

I held my ground as the gnoll to another step forward, the clone broke stride and steered left. Where it once stood, my circle expanded with my hands to the plank of wood.

 

[Ice Trap]

 

 Giving Kohaku a perfect opening to strike.

 

***

 

-Meanwhile-

 

BZZT

 

- TAKEOVER-

Blank halls shifted to bricked walls, large pictures, and spots for vases or shelves as the braided pigtails and mohawked specters in suits followed the white-suited figure in the middle.

 

Looking around as the once-white room grew homier as they walked. Potted plants hung from the ceiling, a fireplace erupted, and numerous doors popped into existence. The two held themselves differently in his presence.

 

Not a word was spoken but looks were shared between the two. Both questioned but were unwilling to speak. Speak when spoken to was the rule of thumb after witnessing the fury that led the smaller figure in the center to take such stride.

 

A cowboy hat on top and a sucker in his mouth could be reflected by the downtrodden fella in- … fella…in the back. Aw, shit.

 

Alternatively dressed in a black suit with a squirt flower, a rainbow clown wig, and comically large red shoes moped behind the three. There would be the occasional chuckle, but it would cease when that figure looked up.

 

Marcus and Julia couldn’t help themselves after warning ‘Hibiki (B)’ that ‘Hibiki (W)’ wasn’t pleased enough to have them hunted and quite nearly killed. The apathetic gaze hung like a guillotine of disappointment that kept his head down.

 

The three others were all guilty of the occasional stifled laugh. Especially when the red nose rolled across the floor.

 

-BZZT-

 

-Hibiki (W)’s POV-


“What’s the deal?” I finish my caramel and unwrapped a lollipop since I’ve spent too much chakra to make this plan work and too many drops.

 

‘The tree will bear its fruits. I’m sure of it.’

 

 Immediately spending that cursed pool they got so THIS isn’t happening again. I stopped in front of the large, closed doorway to catch a breath.

 

S: “It's like there are some blockages between them.” (Jules)

 

“Not flowing free, huh… No inscription?”  (Hibiki (W))

 

‘Looks like I can only do half the first floor if we need some to spare.’

 

S: “No.” She stood so rigidly; it was laughable.

 

I turned my head to the two members of the Trouble Triad I had present. “Good. Have the others shown up?”

 

Despite that, I had to admit everyone did clean up nicely and I knew who I had to thank for that.

 

B: “Everyone, aside from-” (Marcus)

 

“AHHH!”

 

*SPPLSSHHH*

 

I turned my head to the door before looking back at him.

 

B: “...Everyone.”

 

“Phantastic.”

 

I kicked down the doors and walked through the gardened area that made up my sanctuary. Petals trailed off as we walked it revealing each of the hidden stylizations of our outfits.

 

My blazer wrapped around my shoulders into the blue overcoat covering my grey waistcoat, and white dress shirt. The white pants and shoes turned black, patterned with branches running up the legs to my knees.

 

“Howdy!” 

 

I spun the cowboy hat around my finger and threw it into the air to circle the room. I expended a little to grow to my regular 6-foot stature as it circled back and landed on my head as the gorgeous black Gambler it once was.

 

I’d introduce myself but, I’m sure you fuckers know of me. That’s something we don’t have time for. We got three sources to check on and barriers to break.

 

It’s a professional opinion that the other two don’t need it but, since you bitches have been going to town freely, I’m sure you're aware of the cost.

 

They’ll keep doing this and whatever you’ve done will come to light eventually, let’s just hope it’s not anything stupid. Before I begin, I’ll preface that there is no turning back after this.

 

If we do this, you are under watch, management, condition, and discovery of these things while protecting your vessels.” 

 

I wistfully looked over the crowd and had never been so glad to have a skill book stolen from me. 


“Now that we got that outta the way. Who wants to save your dear vessels and what do you have to offer?”

*Click*

 

1