00 Case AB-S4:
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Two gentlemen rode an elevator. The both of them didn’t look shabby. One of them seemed to be older and more senile than the other, while the younger one seemed to be taller than him.

“Might I say, you look glowing Mr. Sialis.” One of the gentlemen greeted the other, slightly leaning forward to check out their suit.

“You think so? It might just be because I’m having a bad day.” The other gent answered.

“A bad day you say…? You look grand! you look neater than usual. You look like you’ve cleanly shaved, you shone your shoes, ironed your dress shirt, and cleaned your shabby brown hat for once—Heck! you probably even did your homework, didn’t you?” The older gent added, using ‘homework’ as an analogy because everyone seems to feel free after finishing their homework, whether it’d be from school or your career.

“Yeah…? No, I’ve done more than that. I woke up early, fixed my couch, folded my blanket, went for an hour jog and ate mangoes for breakfast.”

“You fixed your couch…? Was it broken?”

“No no no, it wasn’t broken… uh, how do I explain this…? Y’know how you’re supposed to fix your bed every morning just so that it looks neat?”

“Oh, so you slept on a couch.”

“I always sleep on a couch.”

“Right, right… wait, so does that mean you practically live in your office?”

“Well, I always sleep in my office too.”

“…………”

“Did ya have a fight with the wife?”

“Don’t have one. Though, if I did, then you already know that I’m prepared to argue with her every day.”

“………”

An awkward silence pursued as the younger gent failed to make his company laugh from his humor. You see, the point of his joke was that husbands usually sleep on couches after arguing with the wife, however the other gent was a married man, and it seemed like he took the joke just a tad bit seriously.

They watched the elevator level number go lower and lower, it went from floor eight, to seven, to six, to five and so on.

“Right, right. So anyways, how does this lead you to having a bad day…? You look like you’ve prepared yourself for a date after today’s work. And besides, it’s a Friday today.” The senior gent guessed out of the silence.

“No, don’t have a date either.” The younger gent replied, still standing his ground. “I really, am just having a bad day.”

“Is that so…? Then may I ask again, how exactly are you having a bad day? Your morning activities sounds like it’s going great.”

Sometimes, older people who are talkative just don’t stop talking about something that are the most obvious to them. And mostly, it’s because of their desperate attempt to converse.

“It’s the mood, Mr. Adams. I’m not in a great mood today.” The younger gent answered, addressing the senior gent as one Mr. Adams.

“Really? but like I said, you’re practically glowing—" Mr. Adams persisted.

“Yeah, well that’s because… uh, how do I explain this again…? Perhaps, may I humor you with some advice for an explanation instead?” The younger gent offered.

“Sure! Go on. What could the great Mr. Sialis possibly have to say about looking glowing during a self-proclaimed bad day?”

“Well, you see, Mr. Adams, A person shouldn’t determine their day based on how they look. Moods are on the inside. Some may express theirs through their body movement or facial expressions, but ultimately, it comes down to whatever is inside someone’s mind. And you can never truly determine exactly what that ‘something’ in their mind is.”

“Mhm.” The younger gent started talking away as Mr. Adams gestured a nod, agreeing after every word he was saying. But it wasn’t like he didn’t care or that he was ignorant. Mr. Adams actually listened to the younger gent’s explanation quite well. He had always been a great listener. “That’s some deep insight, Mr. Sialis. Please, continue.”

Mr. Adams addressed the younger gent as one Mr. Sialis. And continue, he did.

“When you’re having a bad day…… You might as well not look miserable while you’re at it. Is what I’m trying to say.” Mr. Sialis said, taking a deep breath, pausing in between elaborating on his own advice. “Because after a long day, you go home. And wouldn’t it just be nice to see your place look all neat and prepared for you. Wouldn’t it just be great or swell to just look at the mirror after a long day, and find that… well… you’re completely fine.”

“Yeah, I guess I could agree and attest with you on that note.” Mr. Adams interjected. “But what could have possibly caused you to have such a bad mood, Mr. Sialis?”

“Well, it’s just that… every day, I don’t feel like going home. it doesn’t feel all homey or cozy. I don’t feel relaxed all the time, and I always feel like I gotta get out here to start doing things to feel productive. And at the end of the day, I don’t feel motivated to go home, no matter how tired I am. But if and when I do, it really is nice to see everything neat and clean in its proper place. It’s… easy on the eyes and somewhat soothing, it gives me somewhat of a… comfort.”

“…I see” Mr Adams agreed, taking in his words and processing it.

Eventually, the both of them reached their floor sooner than expected. It seems that making conversation does make time fly.

The first one to get out and off of the elevator was Mr. Adams.

“Oh, this is my floor.” Mr. Adams claimed, stepping out of the elevator, only to stop halfway, holding the elevator door and seemingly like he has something else to say to Mr. Sialis. “Just one more thing.”

“Hm? What is it? you should really be considerate for the other people who needs to use this elevator, y’know.”

“On the note of not feeling like going home just because it’s not cozy or homey or however you put it. Well, my motivation to go home every day is my wife, and she’s the one who keeps things tidy as it should be at our homes every day. So, maybe you should just… find yourself a reason or some sort of motivation to head home.”

“Are you telling me to find a wife?” Mr. Sialis sharply asked, with this nonchalant expression on his face, looking as if he’s against the idea.

“Not necessarily. don’t get me wrong but… you don’t have a date today, right? And you’re looking all neat and fancy and glowing too. So, maybe you should just…… find one. Or perhaps find anyone really. Find someone that makes it worthwhile for you to head and stay home.”

“………”

“Your office looks pretty empty. Maybe it’d be livelier if you had more people in it.”

“Yeah, I guess so. You’re definitely right on that part.”

“I’ll stop by your office sometime. Hope you’ll keep it neat till then.” Mr. Adams rain-checked a visit, finally letting go of the elevator door.

“I probably won’t be home when you visit—but in the off-chance that I am, then maybe I’ll welcome you with warm hospitality.”

“Is that so…? Well, I’m looking forward to i—”

The last thing Mr. Sialis saw of Mr. Adams during the time he spent in that elevator was how the elevator doors closed on him, just in time as he was about to finish his sentence.

Mr. Sialis was the only person in that elevator after that moment, and he had ways to go before he reached his floor. So, he spent that alone time in the elevator thinking to himself

“Wives… huh? or a date rather……” he muttered to himself.

The first thoughts or ideas he has in mind were his Highschool crushes and how his classmates, upperclassmen and freshmen always never worked out with their ideal type of romance. It never really worked for anyone’s first love. They were too young and foolish. First loves were just meant to be fodder or experience for when they truly find the person they’ll get married to when they grow up in the future. But other than that, Mr. Sialis is a middle-aged man, one of the first ideas that came up at the top of his mind when he thinks of a wife would be those around his age. He imagined them to be lousy, loud and pushy rather than persistent.

But well, Mr. Sialis had a good idea about middle aged women when he was younger. His examples or role models when he was younger, were his mother and aunts, and they weren’t anywhere near lousy and loud and pushy rather than persistent. So, perhaps he was just second-guessing himself that it’d be difficult to find someone he’d be interested into around his age and area nowadays.

“The idea of fooling around crossed my mind many times before, but I couldn’t just get myself to do it, mainly because It’s foolish.” He muttered to himself again. “But I suppose the idea of filling my empty office, room or home with people isn’t so bad. Company might be nice. I should invite people over to my place play video games on a home console with me. Maybe, I should even throw a party…… as if.

Mr. Sialis exited the elevator when he finally reached his floor. He had to stop a few times due to the other people whom also wanted to utilize the elevator, but after everyone’s set on their destinated floor, it was finally Mr. Sialis’ turn to step out of it.

Mr. Sialis was headed to courtroom no. 4, and almost every courtroom had to be located on the ground or basement floor of the building where all the foundations and pillars supporting the entire grandiose structure are placed.

Mr. Sialis wasn’t an architect, but he thought that it was a stupid decision to put the courtrooms at the ground floor, mostly because he’d start to get anxious about the entire building just giving in and collapsing on top of him and many others in the courtroom every time he had to enter the courtroom for work. He fears the idea that court will be interrupted by raining debris and rubble killing everyone in the room. But in a claustrophobic room like that, which happens to be underneath a rather sizeable building, who wouldn’t be afraid…? Terrorists of any kind could’ve been on the defendant or victim seats. Terrorists who may have plans to blow up the entire courtroom. And Mr. Sialis fears that if at least one pillar gets destroyed, then the entire damned building will just come crashing down on him. If only there was some expert that’ll help him doubt that fear in his heart. Maybe he’d at least feel a little safe and assured for his own welfare and safety.

To get to the courtroom he had to walk through these spacious, dim and sterile hallways. It was definitely wider than the hallways in the stereotypical Highschool you could imagine, but it most certainly wasn’t as wide as a stereotypical Highschool for magic and wizardry. These hallways were dim lit, emphasizing and stark contrasting the light that leads at both of the ends of the hallways. And at the end of these hallways were gates that are usually closed after work hours.

The hallways were clean. A little too clean sometimes. It was the kind of clean that may give you anxiety. Mr. Sialis passed by a few people, some of them ignored him, some of them kinda stared at him, and some of them were too busy moving documents from one room to another. The presence of these few people didn’t bother Mr. Sialis, for it actually somewhat helped him gain comfort from their little or unintentional company.

To walk through these hallways alone sounds like a fearful thought. And it may be good for trials of courage or bravery tests and all that crap. But really, walking these hallways alone, or with an unusual line of people to stare at you as you walked towards the light at the end of the hallway—It almost feels like you’re dead and that you’re walking through the hallway of some sort of purgatory.

“I suppose these hallways can be considered somewhat of a purgatory for the damned who lost their cases in court after all.” Mr. Sialis thought to himself.

The light at the end of the hallway gates were just a few meters away, however, Mr. Sialis halted himself from walking towards it and made a turn to the right, for that was where he was supposed to head to get to courtroom No. 4 in the first place.

After entering some sort of lobby or waiting room, he was greeted by a couple of bailiffs or guards keeping an eye out from each side of the doors that leads to the courtroom itself.

“The trial in court should begin any minute now. You should go in there and reunite with your client at the bench.”

“Right,” Mr. Sialis replied, nodding subtly.

The gentleman in question, then proceeded to enter the courtroom where he was greeted by the many stares of unrecognition from the people of the jury.

It was one of the first times Mr. Sialis had entered a courtroom. And this time, he had to enter one because of work. His intentions in this courtroom visit are to represent someone whom asked for his services and argue against those who oppose his client. Generally, Mr. Sialis intends to win this case and trial in court. He intends to do it with order.

Mr. Sialis sat on the bench beside his client whom greeted him quietly. Though, the judge interjected shortly upon his short notice of a shady individual entering the room.

“I see that Mr. Sialis finally decided to present himself.” The Judge acknowledged out loud.

Mr. Sialis got a hold of a free to use water pitcher on the table of his bench, and poured himself some water in a paper cup to drink from. After indulging and quenching his thirst, he turned to the opposite side of the room, the opposing side of his representation, and the man and lawyer who sued and accused his client.

Both men at the opposite side of Mr. Sialis’s bench were middle aged and were wearing fancy suits. The plaintiff had a rather handsome if not decent face and black hair. While the most distinctive features of the prosecutor are that he looked older, frail, more experienced, and is wearing a pair of spectacles.

“Is the prosecution prepared?” The judge announced, asking and glancing over to the prosecution and plaintiff’s bench.

“Affirmative, your honor.” The prosecution team answered, which was replied by a nod from the judge.

Mr. Sialis dropped his suit case onto the desk in front of his bench and reviewed his notes for a while… What is this? He thought. It seemed like the birth certificate of his client. The birth certificate belonged to someone named… Adelyn, Abor.

The judge then looked over to Mr. Sialis to ask the practically ask same question he asked the prosecution team.

“I assume that the defense is ready as well?”

“Yes, your honor.” Mr. Sialis replied loud and confidently.

The judge nodded again. He stroked his chin and stood up from his chair.

“Then…” The judge picked up the gavel and beat only once and loudly against his table, which sounded deafening bang! that echoed throughout the room, and awoken those in the jury who were dozing off from waiting all morning. “Shall, we begin today’s trial proceedings?”

 

* * *

 

1:18pm, June 6th

Court Records

 

Defending attorney: C. Sialis___

Prosecuting attorney: Holde Jester___

Plaintiff: Homer Abor___

Defendant: Adelyn Abor___

Case: Homer Abor accused and is suing his wife Adelyn Abor for the death of their only child Sean Abor. This trial is to be treated as a wrongful death claim.

The only known evidences Mr. Sialis got a hold of so far is the autopsy report and a picture of the crime scene. He didn’t bring any witnesses with him to take the stand, but the prosecution team on the other hand may still have evidence and witnesses prepared as their ammunition for this trial which gives them the upper hand in today’s court proceedings.

 

Autopsy report (Summarized):

Victim: Sean Abor___

Time of death: May 26th, 4:30-6:30pm___

Cause of death: Victim died due to indigestion upon consuming a lethal chemical which entered his body. The victim’s death wasn’t instantaneous, and he could’ve suffered moments before he died. The victim was poisoned.

 

Additional notes;

  • Symptoms of the victim foaming from his mouth.
  • Traces of the lethal chemical was found in his stomach. However, no signs or traces of such chemical were found his lips and mouth and throat and naval cavities. This suggests that the victim didn’t the consume the lethal chemical through eating, drinking or smelling it, which also suggests that the victim could’ve consumed the poison through other methods, though, unfortunately we are still investigating further upon that matter as we’re wrote this report and we have yet to discover how the victim consumed the lethal chemical.
  • The method of how the poison entered the victim’s body remains

 

“Prosecution, you may begin to state your case” The judge announced.

“Of course, your honor.” The prosecution stood from his bench and started wandering around the courtroom as he begun to represent the case of his client. “Your honor, my client hired me here today to represent him upon his family conflict. To be precise, he went down to the station all the way to my office to consult me about legal advice, only before he gave me a tip to arrest his wife—one very Adelyn Abor—for the death of their only child. So here we are standing in this very courtroom—”

“Objection!” Mr. Sialis boldly pointed out right away. Crossing his arms and tipping his hat down where he was glancing and not making eye contact with a single individual in this room. “Irrelevant.”

“Tsk, it seems that the defense over here is too impatient.” The prosecution took with a grain of salt. “I was merely stating my—”

“Sustained.” The judge interjected, responding to Mr. Sialis’s objection. “Mr. Jester, refrain from digressing and please just get straight to the point.”

Mr. Jester childishly looked down to the floor and slouched over a bit, sighing in resignation.

“As we all already know, my client here, Homer Abor, accused his Adelyn Abor for the wrongful death of their only child…”

The prosecution continued to explain the case.

On May 26th—the day of the incident—Mr. Abor returned to his home late from work at around 7 o’clock. He had returned greeting his wife first, before he went to check on their child. He called for the name of one Sean Abor only to not get a reply in return. He went to check his son’s room and knocked a few times only to not get a response once again. He first assumes that he was taking a nap like a log, which was unusual for him since he’s always rejected taking naps in the day for as long as his parents have known him or so they claimed. So, an hour and a half later, Mr. Abor decided to use his keys to open the room of his son, only to find that he’s lying on the floor, as stiff as a rock. The victim’s belongings were everywhere even though he was a clean freak, and the last thing his hand ever got a hold of, was his diary before he passed away in his sorry state and posture.

 “…After confirming that his son is indeed dead, he phoned us down at the station and we called in the paramedics ourselves. We double checked and found that there’s no hope in bringing him back to life. Cause of death was later found to be poison, but we have yet to know how it entered his body. No party of the police accused anyone to cause the death of this unfortunate child up until Mr. Abor went down to my office, gave me a tip and a suggestion to accuse and sue his wife, Mrs. Abor.” The prosecution concluded their statement.

“I see…” The judge thought out loud. “Then does the defense have anything to add?” He asked glancing over to Mr.  Sialis.

The defense lawyer in question then glanced at his miserable client. She said nothing as she looked blankly into the air, looking a little depressed that she had to deal with this trial in court today. She looked dejected. Though, when the firm assigned this client to Mr. Sialis, they told him that she’s one of the people who needs to get used to other people in order to talk to them, which gave Mr. Sialis a heft amount of difficulty when he started asking the details of the case from his client’s perspective, because she just sat their silently and answered quietly the entire time. They also mentioned to him that the one other way to get her to talk is through her husband.

“No further questions your honor.” Mr. Sialis stated, turning his glance back at the judge.

“Then, Mr. Jester shall proceed to call in his first witness.”

The judge smacked his gavel against the table in front of him to begin the trial’s proceedings.

“The prosecution would like to call the plaintiff as their first witness, your honor.” Mr. Jester claimed. “Mr. Abor, if you please.”

Mr. Homer Abor stood from his bench and assumed the witness stand. Observing his attire closely, one can notice that his coat is shabbily covered in dust and soot—at least the bottom part of his coat anyways.

Mr. Sialis wonders why the plaintiff wore such formal attire when he doesn’t even dust it properly.

He must’ve had one hell of a good day to not notice Mr. Sialis assumed. Though, he wasn’t half wrong. Mainly because of the fact that the plaintiff looks rather… ‘glowing’ as Mr. Adams would’ve put it.

The plaintiff, or current witness rather, looked somewhat enthusiastic. He also looked somewhat angry, but he showed no signs of grief or remorse despite the recent death of his twelve-year-old child.

“I sincerely declare that my testimony shall be only the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.” The plaintiff boldly affirmed, holding up his right hand with his left on the book the bailiff handed to him.

Not a single accessory. Mr. Sialis thought to himself, observing the both of witness’s hand. Not a single watch, ring or piercing.

“State your name and occupation.” The bailiff asked the witness.

“Abor, Homer. I’m a painter, I sell paintings and I also happen to be the electrician for the company I work for.”

The judge nodded and the prosecution stood up to begin questioning the witness he summoned.

 “Mr. Abor, would you care to tell the court and the people of the jury about the day of the incident, in your perspective in question?”

“With pleasure.”

 

Witness Testimony:

 

It was just how Mr. Jester explained. I got home at around seven o’clock late from work.

I first greeted my lovely wife, and sat by the dining table to eat some dinner while I watch some television and chat with my wife about her day.

After eating dinner… hmm… let’s see… ah, right! I went to check my one and only son.

“Ah, right!”? Mr. Sialis thought to himself, listening to the pathetic excuse for a testimony. This man couldn’t show the least amount of concern for his son, and he’s supposed to be the soul of the case. He’s the reason why the plaintiff accused his wife. How could he possibly space out at this very moment?

“Objection!” Mr. Sialis exclaimed, pointing out. “I know it’s not my turn to question or cross examine the witness, but there’s a slight difference in the witness’ testimony that doesn’t correspond with the opening statement from the prosecution—”

“Objection!” Mr.  Jester exclaimed. “Oh, let me guess… Mr. Sialis, was it…? You’re objecting to the fact that my client explained to have spent his entire time eating dinner and chatting with his wife when I explained in the opening statement that he merely greeted her, yes?”

Mr. Sialis nodded in reply.

“Well, let me tell you right now. Your objection is irrelevant. I said that my client merely greeted his wife as an exaggerated idiomatic expression. You really shouldn’t nitpick the littlest details of my grammar. It’s a waste of time y’know? Here, let me lecture upon that matter. Let’s say that for example—"

“Okay, okay. I get it, I get it. I really do. I just needed to make sure.”

Mr. Sialis halted Mr. Jester from elaborating any further. He was starting to get irritating. He talked about how Mr. Sialis’s Objection is a waste of time, then he proceeds to prepare an entire lecture for him in the middle of a session in a court of law. He’s contradicting himself. Was that supposed to be a joke?

Mr. Sialis only objected with the intention of questioning the concern of his father for his only child, however Mr. Sialis was silenced before he could elaborate to that point.

Whether or not Mr. Abor cares for his child shouldn’t be anywhere close to Mr. Sialis’s business, but the fact of the matter is that it is his business to question the welfare, and mentality of the Abor family since his client is the wife of the household, and that her people are riding on this case. Rather than object about Mr. Abor’s parenting, as a father to his son, Mr. Sialis intended to ask the witness about it as plaintiff to the victim. After all, he did accuse his wife for the death of their child. So, in the first place, it should strike one to think that it’s odd that the plaintiff sounded so lousily careless for the victim—also known as the matter at hand.

“Mr. Sialis, do you have any other relevant questions you would like to ask?” The judge asked the defense lawyer.

“No, your honor.” Mr. Sialis replied.

“Then the witness may continue.”

“………”

So, there I was knocking on his door. But I didn’t get a response in return.

Sean taking a nap or sleeping in early would be the last thing I expected from him. But considering other possibilities, I just let him off the hook for now.

I checked on him an hour later and unlocked his door, only to find my son’s stiff and limp body on the ground, holding this notebook I have right here.

“Your honor, we would like to present this notebook as evidence.” The prosecution team suggested.

“By all means, go ahead. But may I ask what relevance does this notebook have to the case…?”

“We were just getting to that part, your honor.” Mr. Jester said, clearing his throat out to prepare for an elaboration. “You see, this notebook was found on the scene of the crime. If you were to observe closely to the photo of the crime scene submitted as evidence early on. You’ll see the victim holding onto the notebook on his right hand. This suggests that he was busy with it, moments before his death.”

“And what was written on the notebook?” Mr. Sialis curiously interjected.

“Will you please save your questions for the end of the explanation?” Mr. Jester irritatedly asked, sighing shortly after before he continued talking again. “This notebook is the victim’s diary. Here, he wrote and expressed his thoughts and feelings and even his deepest darkest secrets.”

“………”

Mr. Sialis furrowed his eyebrows upon hearing the prosecution describe the diary childishly.

“But most importantly, he also wrote about how or what he personally thought about certain people.” Mr. Jester added. “It even included entries of his very own mother… Adilyn.

“Hm…?”

Something started to smell like bullshit in this room. Mr. Sialis thought.

“Permission to examine the evidence? Your honor.” Mr. Sialis asked.

“Permission granted.” The judge affirmed.

Mr. Sialis then stood up from his bench—leaving his client to sit alone by herself—and approached the center of the courtroom to examine the diary in question.

The notebook had a hard cover colored in maroon. It alsto had a ribbon for a book mark and a few scratches and nail marks as if the owner dug his nail into the pages out of pure boredom.

Mr. Sialis opened the notebook and read its content.

The notebook mostly contained doodles, squiggles, ugly sketches, math equations, random dish recipes, short notes, and many more random and redundant filled pages. Honestly, it could hardly be called a diary at first. Mr. Sialis had this serious look on his face which began to look irritated and irritated after every single page he turns over and read. Really, it was only when he began progressing through half of the notebook until he finally discovered the diary section himself.

Here are its notable entries to take away from the diary;

 

March 28,

 

It was Adilyn’s birthday, and I gave her a present. I asked my friend about what he thought she’ll think about it, and he said that she’ll probably hate it. I told him that I don’t believe him, and that I refused to think otherwise…

 

But I think the idea became much more plausible.

 

April 10

 

I talked to Adilyn and I think she hates me. I sort of overheard that just the thought of me makes her want to burn me alive or even poison me.

 

April 19

I don’t communicate with Adilyn all too well anymore, and I’d be lying if I said that it didn’t make me the least upset. I was sort of depressed and I got a little anxious about not being involved with her anymore.

 

May 7

It’s been a while since I’ve talked to my mother. I’ve kept myself shut in and locked in my own room. However, I have been greeting dad nowadays, every time he gets home from work.

 

May 15

The last time I saw mom, she looks more upset than usual. I wonder what’s bothering her.

Could it be me?

 

“Interesting…” Mr. Sialis thought out loud, muttering to himself as that one word escaped his mouth.

“Indeed, it is quite interesting, isn’t it?” Mr. Jester added. “It’s crucial evidence that the victim’s mother was displeased with him this whole time, which causes a motive.

“What do you think of it?” Mr. Sialis asked, turning his glance towards the person behind the witness stand.

“It’s exactly as how that prosecutor representing me over there put it.” Mr. Abor answered. “I immediately thought of it as evidence, evidence for a motive, and evidence that Adilyn hated our child, and that Sean was wary of and around her.”

“I see…” Mr. Sialis replied. “Would you mind amending that to your testimony?” He asked the witness.

“What?” The witness asked, glancing over to the prosecutor representing him.

“—? What are you playing at here? Mr. defense attorney?” The prosecution asked in suspicion. “Sure, go ahead. Amend it to your testimony Mr. Abor. You don’t have to consult to me about it twice. Deny everything is a generic phrase lawyers say to their clients in movies. But I’ll give him this. You’re under oath after all.”

Mr. Sialis narrowed his eyes towards the prosecutor as he spoke. He’s being oddly pushy about it. I wonder if in some way or somehow… I struck a nerve unintentionally.

“The diary confused me a little at the start, and as you see, there was an unfinished entry at the last page of it. But I soon found out that this diary contained thoughts and expressed feelings of how my son, Sean thought of his mother Adilyn, had motives against him.” The witness added to his testimony.

Tsk!

“Hm…?”

Was it just me? Or did the last statement from the testimony of the witness just make my client flinch right now? Mr. Sialis noticed at the corner of his eye. I could’ve sworn I heard her click her tongue too.

“No further questions, your honor.” The prosecutor concluded.

“I see…” The judge processed the situation in silence, stroking his chin before moving on. “Then the defense, Mr. Sialis, you may proceed to question and cross examine the witness yourself.”

“Thank you, your honor.” Mr. Sialis answered.

Mr. Sialis then retreated to his bench to snatch a small notepad from the desk in front of his client before walking back to the center of the courtroom to question the liability of the witness.

 

Cross Examination:

 

“Now, for my first question.” The defense prepared. Flipping a page from his little notepad. “Mr. Abor, where have you been? Why is the bottom part of your coat covered in dust and suit? Didn’t Mr. Jester dress you well and appropriately before entering the courtroom?”

“Objection, irrelevant.” The prosecutor objected.

“Overruled.” The judge answered to the prosecutor before turning back to the witness. “Mr. Abor, answer the question. I too am curious why you’re dressed so shabbily in my courtroom.”

“I… well, this is because of work of course.”

“Work…? Then let me ask the next question.” Mr. Sialis proceeded with haste. “Where do you work exactly?”

“Objection,” The prosecution snapped back at question from the defense. “The place of which my client works at isn’t relevant to the case.”

“Objection,” The defense objected back. “I beg to differ. The witness states that he was late from work at the day of the incident. Clearly his work and schedule should be in question as to why he arrived late.”

“Mr. Sialis, your arguments don’t hold water. The case focuses on the victim’s death and the client you’re defending.”

“I believe that every detail matters in question, and I should have the right on behalf of my client to put such details in scrutiny. Therefore, I want to know more details about where the witness was on the day of the incident, and the reason why he got held up at work.”

“Prosecution, I’m afraid your objection has to be overruled.” The judge decided. “Mr. Sialis, please continue.”

“So, Mr. Abor, where were you during work and why did you get home late?” Mr. Sialis asked again.

“I’m a painter. I sell paintings, I go outside and paint landscapes. I sometimes collaborate with other painters. Of course, my job would be messy.” The man behind the witness stand answered.

“Oh, yeah?” Mr. Sialis scoffed, approaching the witness. He was almost too close for comfort and personal space.

“Your honor, the defense is badgering the witness!” Exclaimed the prosecution.

“Mr. Sialis!” yelled the judge.

“Relax.” The defense lawyer reassured. “I was only getting a sample of this… stain on your coat, Mr. Abor.”

Mr. Sialis smudged his thumb on the witness’s coat, careful enough not to wrinkle it. Then he pulled back his hand and drew it right underneath his nose to take a whiff of it.

 “Charcoal, butane, ash.” Mr. Sialis identified what he was smelling in the form of mutters before speaking out loud. “Mr. Abor, does your painting gig happen to involve burning things…? Or perhaps did this come from your job as an electrician for some kind of company you mentioned working for—? Which, by the way, what exactly is this company you’re working for? Would you mind stating it for the court?”

“Tsk, you sound exactly just like that clingy bitch.” The witness clicked his tongue once, before he vented.

Might I remind you that that clingy bitch you’re calling is my client, but she should first and foremost be your wife. Mr. Sialis said inside of his head. But he couldn’t bring himself to say it out loud because he considered the tedious thought that it may fuel the flame in the witness. And he thought that it would just be a waste of time to try and calm him down.

“Actually, I do mind.” The witness cheekily replied. “I already answered your damned question. I have the right to remain silence for further details. But I can promise you that the details of my work absolutely have nothing to do with this case.”

The defense stood in short moments of silence to process and thought about his next move. Breaking into this witness felt like a game of chess for Mr. Sialis, and he could sense a stalemate from a mile away if he pursued this line of questioning further.

“Alright then, I’ll drop the question.” Mr. Sialis nonchalantly replied before changing his facial expression to a slight glare at the witness. “Just remember that you’re under oath and that your every statement is being recorded even at this very moment.”

Huh, just like that he let the witness off the hook?”

“Hold on! Sialis, what was the point of all of that then? Why drop the question so easily? What do you plan to do with this information? Don’t tell me you fought your way through and for that question just to waste our time.”

“Objection, irrelevant.” Mr. Sialis objected at the curious prosecutor. “And no, I believe every detail matters which is why I fought for that question in the first place.”

“Heh, just admit that you ran into a brick wall—”

“—Anyways, onto the next question.” Mr. Sialis proceeded, cutting off and interjecting from letting the prosecutor finish his cocky phrase. “I would like the witness to state what exactly he had for dinner.”

“Huh?” Mr. Jester jumped back in confusion.

“What did your wife cook for you that you ate that night, Mr. Abor?” Mr. Sialis pursued further.

“We heard you Mr. Sialis, it’s just that—”

“Objection!! This is truly getting ridiculous. I believe that has nothing to do with the case.”

“Objection! I beg to differ. The victim died to a poisoning of which a lethal chemical entered his body.” Mr. Sialis elaborated. “The plaintiff is accusing the defendant for the liability of the death of their child. So, even after receiving the autopsy report, hasn’t he once considered the idea that the food he ate was poisoned as well?”

“But that…! that would mean that you ARE accusing your own defendant of poisoning their food, unless……”

“Unless my point is that she didn’t? because the witness is standing here today? Looking all healthy and active? I’m afraid not. The poison could’ve been a slow-acting one, so he could die at any moment or day, really.”

“Mr. Sialis… what are you playing at here?”

“Answer the question, witness.” Mr. Sialis demanded. “What did you have for dinner?”

“Mr. Sialis, are you implying that your defendant actually poisoned the witness?”

“I’m not implying anything. I’m merely asking an elaborated question.”

“Fine, fine, I’ll answer the question.” The witness interjected. “What my wife had made me for dinner at the day of the incident, huh? sounds like an easy and simple enough question. I don’t understand why you are all arguing for and about it. Do you lawyers just fight just about for every little detail…?”

“Go on.”

“I had a burger steak with mashed potatoes and gravy smeared on top of it.”

Mr. Sialis pulled out a separate notepad from his coat then proceeded to hastily ask a line of questions back-to-back.

Did it taste any different? Did you think it was discolored? How was the consistency of the gravy? Were the mash potatoes stiff or stale or bland or tasted like water? Do you happen to know the recipe?”

“Objection, I believe that’s irrelevant.” The prosecution objected.

“Sustained.” The judge answered.

But the witness still answered anyways.

“No, did not taste any different. No, I didn’t think it was discolored. The consistency of the gravy was just right to me. The mashed potatoes tasted watery and bland. And no, you may ask my wife over there for the recipe. She is your client after all.”

“………”

“And, no I didn’t think it was poisoned.”

“I see…” Mr. Sialis understood. “But that’s what you think.” He added. “Aren’t you curious? What about you, witness, Mr. Arbor, despite eating the dinner that your wife made, aren’t you at least anxious about the idea that there’s a slow acting poison coursing through your veins for over a week now? Don’t you get anxious at night thinking that you won’t wake up the next day? Don’t you ever think that you’ll just be writing something down one day, whether it’d be a story or an entry for a diary, and all of the sudden you just… die?”

“………”

“Moving onto the next question.” Mr. Sialis proceeded before anyone could object to him. “I would like to question exactly what is your relationship with your son.”

“What do you mean?”

“I second that question coming from the witness. What are your intentions with that question, Mr. Sialis? Clearly, the witness’s relationship with his son should be like any other.”

Ignoring the prosecution, he stood his ground and demanded the witness to answer his question by asking again.

“Is it something like a long-distance relationship? How close exactly were you with the victim? Did you and your wife divorce? Or were the both of you even legally married to begin with? I wonder.”

“Mr. Sialis, the witness just stated about returning home to his wife and to check on his son. What better evidence to assert their relationship than—"

“I’m afraid those are just words. Not solid, physical evidence. Words can be twisted and I…” Mr. Sialis paused to think about what he was just saying. “I apologize, that was insensitive of me. I retract my statement. However, I’m afraid that I will continue to pursue the question with the witness.”

What could this clown be playing at? The prosecution thought to himself. I can’t tell whether he’s too trusting with the witness under oath or not.

Mr. Sialis started looking like an irrational man. No one really knew what was going on in that head of his. He started trusting the witness stating his testimony under oath, until he didn’t with his latest question. He started looking and sounding paranoid, but he also looked somewhat persistent as if he’s leading up to a point with all of this.

The witness remained silent, not saying a word, not speaking of his intentions. Instead, he just sat there staring in blank space like a dumbass.

“Mr. Sialis. Do you perhaps have some sort of basis for your question?” The judge asked.

“Your honor, I believe I don’t need a basis for my question. It’s just a question after all, and I need to know even the smallest of details to represent my client appropriately.”

“I call horse shit.” Mr. Jester objected like a child, unprofessionally. “Mr. Sialis, if you have a point to state, then you’d better state it quick instead of wasting your honor’s time.” Mr. Jester then turned his glance to the judge. “Your honor, I believe that the defense is just stalling because he did not prepare a case for his client. He’s clearly grasping onto straws just asking the most absurd and most obvious question—”

“Mr. Jester, please sit down!” The judge scolded the prosecution. “I decide how I want this trial to proceed. It’s my courtroom. You do not have the right to worry about how I choose to spend in this court’s proceedings. It is my responsibility, and I am perfectly capable to watch over today’s proceedings as well as how the time is spent.” The judge then calmed down and glanced over to the defense. “Mr. Sialis, you may proceed.”

“Of course, your honor.” Mr. Sialis affirmed. Now… where were we?

Mr. Sialis, stared at the witness for a moment whom was still exercising his right to remain suspiciously silent about quietly refusing to answer his question.  Mr. Sialis then proceeded to sneak glances around the courtroom, from the judge in front of him, to the prosecution, then back to his client whom was shy and nervously fidgeting with the both of her empty hands together.

He was thinking about something, and the prosecution was right. He didn’t prepare a case for his client to begin with, and that he was grasping straws asking all sorts of ridiculous—but self-proclaimed necessary—questions to the witness behind the stand.

Hmm… maybe it’s time for a base and some evidence to talk for the witness he thought. Mr. Sialis then had a newly popped up idea of which he plans to pursue. And he thought that he’ll be fortunate enough if and when this idea starts making the witness himself to talk.

“Mr. Abor, the reason why I’m asking you about your relationship with your son is that…” Mr. Sialis paused for a moment or two to choose his words correctly. “You clearly don’t give a shit about your child.”

“Objection speculation!!” The prosecutor immediately exclaimed at the top of his lungs upon hearing the defense lawyer’s most absurd statement.

“Sustained.” The judge answered. “Mr. Sialis, I believe you can’t just say something like that in my courtroom. And I also believe that you’re going to need a basis this time for your accusation if you pursue this any further.”

“I’m… kind of getting there.” Mr. Sialis said with a straight face.

“Kind of?”

“Like twenty-five percent there.”

“Twenty-five percent?”

Mr. Sialis clearly wasn’t good at using percentages or any other math-related topics in general—as metaphors.

Though, surprisingly, as pathetic as Mr. Sialis sounded, he stood his ground with steady legs and a serious, stoic face.

“Mr. Abor, would you please raise your hands for the court to see?” Mr. Sialis asked of the witness. And Mr. Abor silently and obediently cooperated accordingly to compensate for not talking. “To get to my point, you must observe the plaintiff’s hands. As you can see, he doesn’t wear a single accessory on his palms, wrists or fingers. Not a single piercing, watch, bracelet, fingernail polish nor rings nor the kind of rings you wear when you’re married—more specifically… his wedding ring.”

“His wedding ring…?” The prosecution asked, almost scoffing. “He could’ve forgotten or he could’ve just chosen to not wear it due to the occasion. After all, this is a trial for his accusation against his wife. Him not wearing the ring isn’t enough evidence that they’re not married.”

“So, are you implying that existence of such evidence is plausible? Evidence of the plaintiff and defendant not being married after all?”

“No, that isn’t what I’m implying, but I highly doubt that you could produce such official evidence in the first place.”

“Have you checked their marriage certificate?”

“What?”

“The certificate which officially acknowledges and proves that they’re a married couple.”

“……………”

An awkward silence pursued for the prosecution. The judge stared in awkward silence. The prosecution’s client/plaintiff/witness sat there and stared in awkward silence. Even the defendant whom had always been sitting there in silent just stared blank and awkwardly. The jury whispering to one another, gossiping and spreading rumors about how they’re slightly losing hope and faith in the police. And to think that it was all awkward because of the prosecution’s mistake of not doing a background check on his client’s marriage certificate.

It was all awkward but Mr. Sialis was unphased and nonchalant about it. It was just as he expected.

“It’s alright if you haven’t, because I’ve tried once and miserably failed to find it myself,.” Mr. Sialis said, breaking from the awkward silence and whispering. “I say miserably, because the entire time I was searching and requesting for it, I found myself finding something that never existed in the first place.”

“Do you mean that they didn’t have a marriage certificate in the first place?”

“Not a legal one anyways.” Mr. Sialis replied.

So, that’s how you plan to prove that they’re not married. The prosecution thought.

“The next thing I’d like to question the witness of is about his attire. Exactly who does the laundry in this marriage?”

“…………” the witness chose to remain silent, and oddly, even the judge and prosecution did too.

“M…me.” the defendant said, raising her hand and saying something for the first time since she entered this damned court room.

“Then let me ask the witness. Why didn’t you decide to wear a prepared, neat, and cleaner attire your wife had just made for you before entering the courtroom? Instead, you dressed shabbily and wore a coat covered in soot like a homeless person.

“…”

“…”

“He’s still pursuing that matter further?”

What’s with the silence? Not even a single objection occurred from the prosecution even if it’s the perfect time for them to object to the defense’s arguments by its relevance. Instead, Mr. Jester subtly explained and broke the news to him.

“The husband accused his wife for wrongful death. Of course, the defendant couldn’t have prepared something for her husband. They aren’t on good terms, Mrs. Abor was held up in the detention center, and the both of them haven’t seen each other for five days.

“Right, that makes sense—but you know what doesn’t…? The husband part.”

“—? Okay, I’ll bite. Let’s say that they’re not married. What does that have to do with him ‘not giving a shit about his child’, or as you first claimed and put it.”

“Well, the parents weren’t married to begin with, so there’s some distance in that.”

“…Is that it then…? That’s your point?” The prosecution asked the defense, wondering when they’ll get to the point above all this lecture, explanation and conjecture. Almost practically begging Mr. Sialis to rest their case as they find him to be… a dog chasing a car. From that analogy, Mr. Jester thinks that if the defense is the dog and the car is their point. He thought Mr. Sialis wouldn’t know what to do if he catches that running vehicle.

But Mr. Sialis begs to differ as he continues to pursue his argument.

“Well, I wouldn’t say that it just abruptly ends there. Are you even curious as to why the both of them have the same last name despite being not being married?”

“No, I’m not curious. I still stand my ground, believing that they’re still married. I mean, they’re called the Abor family for a reason. We checked the child’s birth certificate and he has the same surname from his mother whom presumably inherited it from his husband when they married.” The prosecution explained and elaborated on stating their beliefs. “And as you said… there isn’t a legal record of their marriage, so they could’ve just gotten married unofficially or in secret.”

“…!”

A good point quickly struck and argued from the prosecution, or so is what Mr. Sialis thought. He almost didn’t consider the idea that the Abor couple could’ve gotten married in secrecy.

The prosecution could’ve asked the witness to make sure of that secret marriage—because he’s claimed to be a reliable witness under oath—but Mr. Jester thought that it was unnecessary since it was already obvious.

The jury’s hope and faith seemed to be somewhat restored from the blunder of the prosecution.

A sudden thought occurred to Mr. Sialis. He ran back to his bench and started scouring the papers on his desk, trying to find one specific document that hadn’t occurred to him only until before the trial’s proceedings began.

“Okay, I’ll admit that I couldn’t prove that the Abor family couldn’t have gotten married in secret,” Mr. Sialis accepted to stall for just a little bit of time until he found the document he was looking for. “But I can prove a theory that supports the idea. What if the defendant didn’t inherit the name from her husband in the first place?”

If they’re not married, but they’re still both named Abor, then…

“You mean to say that your client just coincidentally had the same last name with the plaintiff?” The prosecution came to the conclusion. “However, can you produce evidence to prove such idea?”

“Exactly.” Mr. Sialis answered, finally finding the document he was looking for. He read the paper twice to double check before he raised it and walked around the courtroom for the judge, prosecution and the people of the jury to see. “Here, I have the birth certificate, which states the name given and inherited from her parents upon moments after her birth. This belongs to none other but my client…… Adelyn, Abor.

The prosecution flinched and leaned on their desks, almost slamming into it in the process.

“Wait, if they just happened to have the same last name, then don’t you think that the most plausible reason behind that is because—”

“—Fret not!” Mr. Sialis halted before the prosecution could explain a disturbing thought or idea aloud. “I believe it’s not what you think it is. Did you bring the birth certificate of your client with you? Mr. Jester?”

“Of course, I did.”

“So, you brought your client’s birth certificate, but didn’t bother to verify his marriage certificate?”

“We’re required to present our clients’ identification. Though, we didn’t think of requesting his marriage certificate—one of the reasons being—because his case is a trial that conflicts the relationship between husband and wife. And it’s treated as a wrongful death at that.” The prosecution explained. “We somewhat expected the couple to divorce after winning the trial, and our station or precinct didn’t specialize in marriages anyways.”

That is the most absurd bullshit of an excuse Mr. Sialis has heard so far from the prosecution in a court of law. But he supposes that it’s somewhat of a redemption or justification for the people’s belief, faith and hope for the police.

Some prosecutors whom work for the police may have difficulty representing them. After all, since they cooperate with the police, they don’t only have to represent their clients, but the precinct they work at as well. It may be seen just as difficult as a lawyer representing both their clients and the firm they work at, but what makes it more difficult for these kinds of prosecutors is that they have to represent the police, which some people have been losing faith and hope into just recently.

Losing faith for the police and government had already become a country—if not world—wide problem these days.

“Well, anyways. What does it say under Abor, Homer’s name?” Mr. Sialis asked right away.

“Mrs. Abor, Faith and Mr. Abor, Manuel.” Mr. Jester answered cooperatively. The judge wanted to see for himself, and the prosecution handed over the document to verify.

“Well, that’s that.” Mr. Sialis said before reading his client’s birth certificate out loud. “Abor Adelyn… Date of birth, 10/3……The parents of my client are named one Mrs. Abor, Hanzen and one Mr. Abor, Howard.” Mr. Sialis stated. “Clearly, two different Abors from two different Abor parents and families. And I highly doubt the possibility that they’re cousins.”

Mr. Sialis handed over his document of the defendant’s birth certificate for the judge to examine as well. And that was it, he proved one of his points.

“Well, I’ve already established that the plaintiff has a distant relationship with the defendant and victim, so my next point of topic is this.” The defense picked up a piece of evidence from a desk and almost shoved it onto the witness’s face to question him about it. “Mr. Abor, I would like to ask a couple or few questions about this diary.”

“Well, what else would you like to know about it? It’s crucial evidence to convict your client after all.”

Mr. Sialis narrowed his eyes as he stared at the witness for a moment before asking away and explaining his case.

“Well first of all, let’s start with an easy and obvious question. What in particular did this diary make you think about how this incriminates my client?”

“You’d really like me to repeat what I just said and thought about the damned diary, huh?”

“That would be efficient and refreshing. Yes.”

Mr. Sialis pulled the piece of evidence back and the witness sat there in silence and sighed to himself, carefully thinking about what he’s going to say next before he speaks it out loud.

“I thought of the diary as evidence to prove that my son foresaw his mother Adelin’s ill-will and malicious intent towards him”

“Speaking of which. The prosecution and I came to the conclusion of my client and you not being married in the first place without hearing about it from you. Would you care to confirm your relationship with my client to the court? Whether or not you’re actually married?”

“………”

Right, he prefers to remain silent about it. Regardless, Mr. Sialis took his silence for a ‘yes’. It seems that Mr. Abor actually cares about whether or not he should speak of such matters to the court. However, this is exactly why Mr. Sialis is pursuing this topic. The defense lawyer’s intentions were to get the witness to start talking.

“My client couldn’t speak it herself, since she’s the defendant, the prosecution may deem her unreliable, and most importantly, she isn’t the witness behind the witness stand at the moment.” Mr. Sialis elaborated. “However, if you truly are married as you claimed Ms. Abor to be your wife, then surely you couldn’t have forgotten her name or how to spell her name. Correct?”

“O…Of course not! What kind of absurd—”

“I see…” Mr. Sialis immediately replied to interject and to halt the witness from complaining any further. “Can you amend that to your official testimony for the court to hear and verify? The part about not forgetting how to spell her name, I meant.”

“Sure.” The witness answered, not suspecting a single thing. After all, the defense just asked him to say that he knows how to spell his wife’s name. What could he possibly gain from that? he thought. “Of course, I could never forget Mrs. Abor’s name. We’ve been together for more than twelve years, just as our child grew.” Mr. Abor added.

“Speaking of adding statements to your testimony. There was another statement I asked you to add, didn’t I?” Mr. Sialis rhetorically asked. “It was a rather long statement, but let me recall and summarize it as; ‘I soon found out that this diary contained thoughts and expressed feelings of how my son, Sean, thought of how his mother Adilyn had motives against him.’ But just now I’ve come to point out a contradiction between your statement then, up until your statement now, revolving this piece of evidence.”

“Mr. Sialis, I believe that I’ll have to make you explain yourself to the court.” The judge stated.

“With pleasure, your honor. I was getting to the point” Mr. Sialis answered. “First, I’d like to address that the name Catheryne could be spelled in many ways. It could be spelled with a ‘K’ for Katheryne, or it could be spelled with an ‘I’ instead of ‘Y’ like Catherine.” Mr. Sialis elaborated. “This goes the same with the name of my client…… Adelyn.” The defense lawyer then tipped the front of his brown hat lower. He crossed his arms and stroked his chin as he walked around to process and carefully explain and elaborate his case. “Mr. Abor, the plaintiff, claimed that he could never forget the name nor the spelling of the name of his ‘wife’. And yet here I am in doubt and in belief that he just mistook her name with this very evidence I hold in my hand. The diary of the victim.” He then showcased the diary once again, this time he highlighted his main points. The name the victim addressed in his entries, how he addressed his mother, and mainly the name of his mother. “What I’m trying to explain is that the prosecution and the plaintiff submitted this diary as evidence because it incriminates the ill will and intentions of someone named Adelin. However, what I’m trying to prove here is that the Adelin written in this notebook is a different and completely separate person apart from my client, Adelyn.

“What? because their names are spelt just one letter differently?” The prosecution asked, acknowledging where the defense is leading with this. “Big deal.” Mr. Jester scoffed. “The victim was twelve, and there are many people, children in particular, whom do not remember the exact names of their parents. Hell, even I don’t know the exact spelling of the name of my mother, let alone a twelve-year-old child who is now dead.”

“And may I ask you why you don’t remember your mother’s name?”

“Because I mainly address her as Mother or Mom.”

“Precisely! That is the same case with the victim!”

“Huh”

“As you can see in the summary of these diary entries, The victim addressed both the name Adelin, and the term he calls his mother by, separately. Whenever the victim wrote about this Adelin character, he’d always address her by Adelin. However, when it comes to writing about his mother, he’d address her as mother or mom according to the victim’s May 7 and May 15 entries compared to his past entries written in his diary.”

“Objection!” The prosecution exclaimed. “My point is that the victim still might’ve mistaken to spell the name of his mother. And that probability is too high. If you still plan to pursue this matter further, then you must answer this; Exactly who might you think this other Adelin is? And whether you can prove that this Adelin is a different person from his mother and your client.”

Mr. Sialis halted himself from moving. He was a little stunned. The prosecution’s question was a good one, and Mr. Sialis didn’t think that he needed to answer that up until now. After stating his case about this other Adelin, he honestly thought he could just shrug it off and sweep it under the rug. However, now that he’s mistaken and that he’s forced to answer the question—if he wanted to pursue the matter further—then he would have to pin this other Adelin on an individual. A new possible witness.

Mr. Sialis then hastily flipped through the victim’s diary. There has to be a clue here! he thought as he skimmed and scanned and searched for answers. He kept opening and closing the diary, flipping through its pages and quickly glancing over them. He was also desperately hoping that an answer would just magically pop up if he kept closing and opening the notebook repeatedly.

The case wasn’t important to him personally, but it was important to him since it’s his work and that he sorta feels pressured to represent someone in court. That had always seemed to be one of the difficult parts of being a lawyer to him. Having to take heavy responsibility to represent someone, and knowing that their life or money are on his shoulders.

It almost felt like an open-book exam with a time limit. It felt like an exam he didn’t review for, so he’s hastily searching for answers in the notebook. He didn’t anticipate that the question would come up, and he didn’t think it would be such a big deal up until now.

He looked through January entries. He reread February entries and he was lastly led to the march entries and……

……That’s it!

“Mr. Sialis, do you have anything else you would like to ask or add?” The judge asked out of the restless silence. “If you don’t then I would like to call in the next witness—“

“Actually, your honor, we don’t have any further witnesses.” The prosecution asserted.

“Is that so…? Then would the defense care to—”

“Your honor! There is something I’d like to add.” Mr. Sialis claimed in the nick of time.

“Hm…? And might I ask what could that possibly be?” The prosecution asked out of sarcastic curiosity.

“I’m prepared to answer your question, prosecutor Jester.” Mr. Sialis added. “This other Adelin should be someone the victim had conflicting feelings for. She should be someone he’s at least acquainted with and she should be someone the victim had been keeping an eye on, and I have a feeling who that person is and why she’s written in that diary.”

“Go on.”

“She is… um… hm…… how should I put this…?” Mr. Sialis thought to himself out loud as he was thinking and choosing carefully for the appropriate terminology. “I believe that she’s someone the victim admires.

“…?”

“…?”

“???”

Everyone was confused as to what and where the defense was playing at. It took them a while to process what he meant until—

“Mr. Sialis. That’s absurd.” The prosecution nonchalantly replied. “You have yet to prove that this Adelin in the diary and your client are two separate people.”

“Right, right. About that, I actually have evidence to prove my claim.”

“What?!”

“Good lord! Mr. Sialis, why didn’t you say that sooner?” the judge exclaimed.”

“………..”

He forgot to mention it first.

“Then go on, what is this evidence you speak of?!”

“Relax, and leisurely review the diary.” Mr. Sialis answered formally passing around the victim’s diary for the prosecution and judge to read and verify. “Specifically, I would like your attention to be focused on entry March 28th.”

“March 28th… huh?” the prosecution muttered to himself as he flipped through the notebook. “It’s about what the victim thought of Adelin’s birthday… I don’t see anything wrong with it.”

“You don’t see anything wrong with it now, but it does contradict with another piece of evidence we currently possess in this very courtroom.” Mr. Sialis elaborated further as he snatched and slipped a piece of paper away from the judge’s desk. “Here.” He lent the defendant’s birth certificate for the prosecution to review.

the prosecution’s eyes widened upon reading and comparing the two pieces of evidence. His jaw dropped, staggered by their realization.

“As you can see, the date of birth in the defendant’s birth certificate is October 3—which may I add is inconsistent by a long shot with the defendant’s diary entry if we were to consider the defendant and the Adelin in that notebook to be one and the same.” Mr. Sialis elaborated further. “The birthday of my client and the victim’s mother, Adelyn Abor, is October 3, officially written and recorded by the government. While the victim’s diary entry states that he gave a birthday present to this other Adelin on March 28.” The defense explained again, just so that they’re on the same page. “Heck, we could even confirm it with the defendant right here, with two questions.”

The prosecution slumped his elbows onto the desk and started sweating bullets just because he was about to ask the defendant a question.

“Ms. Abor… can you state the month and day of your date of birth?”

“It’s… just as the defense lawyer claims. October 3rd.” The defendant answered.

“And did you get anything from your son on your birthday?” Mr. Sialis added to ask.

 “…” She shook her head in response.

“I see…” Mr. Sialis affirmed. “I would like to rest my case now, but I’m afraid I can’t until I prove a water holding argument.” Mr. Sialis said, pursuing this matter further. “I have more evidences to present.”

“What else could you possibly have to present?” The prosecution asked.

“Well, naturally, the next question to pose would be who exactly this other Adelin is. Right? Prosecutor?”

“…!”

The prosecution picked himself up, adjusted his glasses and wiped the sweat from his temples.

“That’s right.” The prosecution confidently stated. “…Wait, you don’t happen to—”

“Prosecutor Jester, you asked me exactly is this separate Adelin if she’s not the same person as my client. And I said I was prepared to answer that question.”

“Well…?”

“Well, first of all, the victim is a twelve-year-old elementary student. I assumed he wrote about the person he admires, also known as this other Adelin. Now what I wanted to do next is to bring this next witness in to confirm my theory. If I prove for a fact that my client isn’t the same Adelin from the victim’s diary, then I believe the plaintiff and prosecution won’t have any further evidences and witnesses to incriminate my client.”

“I see… now THAT is the defense’s case.” The prosecution thought out loud before he scoffed and jested about how the defense will prove such fallacious claim. “Psh, so where exactly is this next witness of yours? Mr. Sialis.”

“Naturally, I didn’t come to acknowledge a third witness up until now. So, I admit that I entered this courtroom unprepared. However, I might have an idea where I could find that witness.” Mr. Sialis then paused, running through the other possible ideas in his head. There really isn’t any other place he could think of other than… “…The victim’s school.”

“The victim’s school?”

“Yes, I would like to search the school identification records from the victim’s class for a student named Adelin to summon her to the stand for a brief statement.” The defense asserted.

“Hmm… but we don’t have such witness prepared at this very moment. Yes?” The judge asked, interjecting.

“I believe so, your honor. That is why I would like to ask for a continuation, so that I may prepare such witness for the next trial’s proceedings.”

“That would be unnecessary.” The judge replied, before signaling over the bailiffs. “Bailiff, inform the precinct for a warrant to summon the next witness. She’s named one Adelin from the same class of the victim, whom attends the school…?”

“Fortuna Childe elementary school.” The witness, Mr. Abor, answered restlessly and from sitting and staying in silence. “It’s not far from this courthouse. As a matter of fact, we can fetch and pick her up from school under an hour or so, but the prosecution still needs time to prepare the witness.”

“Your honor, it shouldn’t take long to get a warrant to visit the school and acquire a guardian’s consent for the matter of bringing a minor witness.”

“Right, of course. At the meantime, I’ll have to hold today’s proceedings for a brief recess. We shall resume at four-thirty.” The Judge formally stated, knocking his gavel onto his desk twice. “Court is adjourned.”

 

2:40pm June 6th,
The district court,
Defendant lobby 04.

 

The defendant lobby consisted of paintings, tables and vases, a glass table in the middle and two couches across each other. Mr. Sialis dropped onto the couch looking exhausted, while his client sat on the couch across his.

Mr. Sialis looked like he could doze off at any minute, but even if he did, he’d only have a few or little time to rest. If they find him to be missing in court because of it, then either his client would wake him up or the judge would call in some bailiffs to escort him.

Mr. Sialis usually sleeps on couches, which makes sense as to why he’d feel sleepy all of the sudden just sitting on one after a long day. It somewhat reminds him of home. And unfortunately, that day will have to become even longer.

“Does court proceedings usually take up of a lot of boring talking?” The defendant boldly asked, seemingly unamused all of the sudden from the argumentative lawyer’s performance. Court proceedings.

“Yeah, and not to mention a lot of reading just to prepare for a case.” Mr. Sialis answered. “It also takes a lot of paperwork just to get this trial started, and just for me to find a way for you to get acquitted. Fortunately, I only have to care about the case while someone else back at the firm prepares the paperwork for me.”

“…….”

Mr. Sialis then proceeds to sit back and relax. He put his feet up on the fragile, transparent, coffee table with his hands behind his head. He was stretching his legs, and laying down to relax even if it was just for a few minutes. Though, shortly after, He felt restless just staring at the stack of papers promptly sitting beside his legs.

He closed one eye, while the other stared at the stack of papers. Contemplating on whether or not he should review them.

Mr. Sialis didn’t prepare a case when he first entered the courtroom. Instead, he had to improv one up during the middle of the proceedings—and it was stressful for him. He looked back on it and felt like he was panicking and holding his breath over nothing. He thought if only he had prepared a case for his client in the first place.

He sighed, just thinking about the court records in front of him, and just imagining the many possible cases he could’ve used to represent his client properly.

He sighed and he put his feet back down to the floor and to occupy the table to review and look over the copy of the court records they have, including the evidence of the victim’s diary.

Mr. Sialis almost felt like a phony to start reading, right after he just explained his job to his client. Mr. Sialis felt that if he could relax in front of his client, then he could reassure her that she was getting acquitted easily. In an aspect, he thought he’d look cooler that way, up until he realized that he should act his age. Not only just because he’s slightly cringing to himself with the thought of acting immaturely, but it was also because it was his job to read over his work, and that he realizes it’s only appropriate to act accordingly.

Maybe there’s something here that can help me prove my case. He silently thought to himself as he began to flip through a couple of pages to scan.

Mr. Sialis felt like a high school student in the middle of an exam day who hadn’t reviewed for his exams. He managed to get past one exam, but the day wasn’t over, and he’s given little if not ample time to review for the next subject.

That was when he was disturbed by a student from a different class.

Three knocks came from the defendant lobby’s door, and passed through the hallway was one plaintiff with his prosecutor nowhere in sight.

“How can we help you?” Mr. Sialis asked Mr. Abor with his head tilted down to his documents while still maintaining his eye contact with him.

“Is it too much to ask for me to talk to my…… Ms. Abor.”

Mr. Sialis narrowed his eyebrows upon hearing the plaintiff’s response. He finds it odd that Mr. Abor hesitated to address Mrs. Abor as his wife.

“I’m afraid visiting hours are over. We are in the middle of a court recess break, and you’re not supposed to be permitted to talk to the defendant at this time.” Mr. Sialis stated, with the intention of shooing Mr. Abor away as if he was a four-legged, fur-covered stray mammal following him for food. Or that was what the lawyer thought, anyways.

The plaintiff takes a deep breath. He thought he could get through to them. He almost couldn’t believe what Mr. Sialis told him. He turned around but before he left, he had one more thing to say.

“By the way, Mr. Sialis. Was it?” Mr. Abor called out, asking if he got the defense lawyer’s name correctly. “When the victim was born, would you like to know how she came up with his name?”

“I’ll ask about it in court.”

No, he won’t. Mr. Sialis really couldn’t care less about how the plaintiff and defendant named the victim. He figured it was unrelated to the case. After all, it’s just a name. What could possibly be wrong with the name Sean Abor? And how the hell would that kind of clue be useful and utilized in court?

“Ms. Abor here decided to name the child ‘Abortion’.” Mr. Abor answered anyways.

“Okay, you did what?” Mr. Sialis dropped what he was reading back onto the glass coffee table as he immediately stared at his client with concern.

It wasn’t his business or anything, and he doesn’t have the right to judge how parents name their children, but how could that be possible…?

Mr. Sialis ran the possibilities in his mind. He kept silently saying the victim’s name over and over again, silently, inside of his head.

Sean… Abor… Sean… Abor…… Sean… Oh, ‘Abortion’. Now that Mr. Sialis thinks about the victim’s name, it started to make sense. But he glanced at the two Abors back and forth, in concern. Wondering why the hell would they name their kid such a bully-able name. He felt bad for the victim. Abor, Sean was truly unfortunate to be named that way by his parents of all people, and with intent.

“That took you a while to get it.” Ms. Abor spoke with slight aggression. “I thought you’d get it after reading over the victim’s name a few several times before.”

“Yeah…?” Mr. Sialis replied slightly grim. He actually almost considered the idea a few times before, but he didn’t want to believe it until now.

Mr. Abor scoffed before he left and closed the door, leaving Mr. Sialis and his client behind alone in the defendant lobby.

Mr. Sialis went right back to reading his documents, only with one new fact lingering in his mind—which is the meaning behind the victim’s name. He glanced over at his client only to find that her eyes reverted back to looking as dead as a fish into some sort of hopelessness or disbelief.

 

 3:46pm June 6th,
The district court,
Courtroom No 04.

 

Both lawyers are present in the continuation of court proceedings from the brief recess. They both stood before their tables with their clients sitting at their sides. Mr. Abor wasn’t the next witness nor is he the current witness anymore so he didn’t need to stand before the stand. Instead, before introducing the next witness, the bailiff stood at the witness to state something for the court. And it seemed to be regarding this new witness.

“What is it bailiff? Where is our next witness?” The judge asked

“Umm... first of all, your honor, we found no student named Adelin associated with the victim’s class.”

“…?”

“What?”

“Then the defense’s case—”

“However, we did find one Adelin, a class level higher than the victim. She is present in the prosecution’s lobby, accompanied by her father, Mr. Cite, whom will be joining us shortly after in the peanut gallery.”

“Bailiff… don’t you think you should’ve mentioned that first? You could’ve given me a heart attack.” Said Mr. Sialis, with the both of his arms and elbows slumped onto the table.

“Though, now it’s only a matter of whether or not this new witness knows about the victim.” The prosecution added. “I mean, they share and go to the same school, however, the defense theorizes that the victim and this Adelin in his diary are ‘classmates’ not schoolmates. It should already be difficult for students to fit in their class in this day and age, so don’t you think that there’s a slight difference in distance of the relationship of this new witness with the victim…? Now that we’ve found out that they’re mere schoolmates all along.

“It’s only a slight distant difference, prosecutor Jester. It’s not as distant as a child with their divorced parents at least. Speaking of which, you sounded like you’re particularly talking from experience when you started mentioning about not fitting into school—"

“Objection! Speculation!” The prosecution yelled, cutting off the defense from speaking any further.

“Please, will the defense and prosecution stop horsing around?” The judge begged.

Ahem.” The prosecution cleared his throat. “Anyways, your honor, we reviewed this witness and might I add that she does have something interesting to say about the victim.”

“Hmm… is that so…?” The judge thought out loud.

“…?”

Mr. Sialis has a bad feeling about this.

There, standing behind the witness stand was an elementary student.

The judge only gave a brief recess, so the prosecution didn’t have enough time to at least dress the witness semi-formally. So instead, she wears her school uniform.

“One more thing I’d like to add is that the day is ending soon, so can we hastily proceed with this trial before it gets dark…? Keep the witness testimony brief and unnecessary questions will be penalized.” The judge announced. “Of course, I’d like to get this case over with, but if ever we are unable to formally conclude today’s proceedings, then I’m afraid we’ll have to schedule a continuation tomorrow or the week after.”

Mr. Sialis too would’ve liked to finish a case in a single day, but on a wrongful death claim like this one, it sounded too idealistic. Especially since he arrived to the courtroom unprepared in the first place which probably costed a lot of the court’s time.

The witness seemed to be too young to act as a reliable witness for court, but the defense was sort of desperate, grasping onto straws. Mr. Sialis didn’t have any choice. He’ll just have to place some faith on the new witness.

The witness is placed under oath, and thus began the prosecution’s questioning.

 

Witness Testimony:

 

“State your name and occupation.”

“Adelin Cite, sixth-grade student attending Fortuna Childe elementary school.” The new witness stated.

“………”

“…”

“…”

For some reason there was an awkward silence as if no one knew what to say or ask. And to be fair, the witness is a twelve-year-old, just like the victim. Perhaps the defense, judge, prosecution, and the people of the jury were just sitting in silence, observing and processing the reliability of having a minor on the witness stand.

Even though the witness was brought in and onto the stand to support the defense’s case in particular, it was still the prosecution’s turn to question the witness, and he just stood there in awkward silence, glancing darts around the room while fidgeting with his pen.

“Well, prosecutor Jester? You have the floor.” The judge insisted.

Why isn’t he asking the witness anything? Anything at all. Mr. Sialis thought. Didn’t he prepare a case…? And besides, it was the prosecution team who prepared the witness, so he should know whether her testimony or statements are reliable or whatnot.

“Umm… you see, your honor, and the people of the jury…… This still has been an unexpected turn of events for me.” Prosecutor Jester said, clearing his throat and tightening his tie in nervousness.

“If you don’t have anything to ask the witness, then just simply state that you have no further questions.” Mr. Sialis suggested. He seemed to be so confident earlier, where did all that cockiness go? Could he be…… bluffing?

“No no, I brought and prepared this witness ourselves, just to deem and prove the defense’s case to be false, so naturally I have a few questions for the witness.”

“Like I said, Mr. Jester.” The judge reminded, “The day is about to be over, so if you could just cut out the chit chat, dead air and pointless banter then I’d highly appreciate it.”

“Y… yes, your honor. Of course.”

The prosecution must’ve expected the defense to question the witness first. Mr. Jester was dying to watch defense attorney Sialis lose miserably, if only he could just pass the opportunity to question the witness. Prosecutor Jester knew something—that the defense doesn’t—just from reviewing the witness, but he didn’t prepare any questions, because he thought it would be humorous to watch the defense dig his own grave for the prosecution’s entertainment. Though, all of the sudden prosecutor Jester had an epiphany, he got cold feet realizing that he could lose at any moment just from being cocky or celebrating too early. At the last second, he was about to do just as the defense suggested and state that he doesn’t have any further questions but he found it in himself unable to. So, just as the defense did earlier, the prosecution too had to improv on questions, whether it wasted time or not.

“Ms. Adelin” The prosecution called out, pausing for a moment to carefully process what kind of information might he want from the witness before asking. “We would like you to testify about how you met the victim, Abor, Sea—”

“Your honor!” The defense exclaimed, interrupting the prosecution. “The prosecution doesn’t have any further questions!!”

“Shut up!” Prosecutor Jester immediately exclaimed.

The judge knocked his gavel onto his table twice before he exclaimed at both teams to stop fooling around for the second time.

“Mr. Sialis, what has gotten into you…? We’re on a tight schedule. Can’t you just wait?”

“My apologies your honor… I… sort of don’t know what got over me.” The defense lawyer apologized. However, he thought that he was onto something. And he might’ve been right on the money if he hadn’t backed down.

“You… sort of…?” The judge repeated, questioning the certainty of the defense.

Mr. Jester wiped his forehead, adjusted his glasses, cleared his throat and finally put down the pen he was fidgeting with in nervousness before repeating the same question he just asked the witness before he was interrupted.

 

Witness Testimony
(For real this time):

 

“Wait, do you seriously want to know how I supposedly met the victim…?” The witnessed asked wanting to make sure that they were on the same page while still keeping her manners and acting well-behaved.

“Y… yes.” The prosecution said, hesitating a little bit.

“Hm… that might be a difficult question, but alright, I guess.” The witness responded before answering the prosecution’s question. “We got acquainted because we’re school mates.” She summarized briefly, with the intention of concluding there. “That’s it.”

“………”

“…”

“…”

A silence ensued again because the defense, judge, prosecution and the people of the jury were expecting to hear more, and to hear a much more elaborate story or explanation. The witness’s statement was so brief that no one had even processed it in yet.

“Is that really it?” Prosecutor Jester asked the witness.

“Yeah…” The witness bluntly stated. “It wasn’t like I was particularly close with the victim. We bumped into each other once, crossed paths, made eye contact, and he approached me a couple of times but it’s not like we knew each other very well.”

“Is that so…?” The prosecution asked to reassure again.

“Yes.”

“………”

Mr. Sialis looked at the prosecution weirdly. He looked at them as if prosecutor Jester was a joke after asking the question. In the end however, he supposes that no one expected such a brief answer from such a general question.

“Why are you staring at me like that?! Don’t forget that we brought this witness in because of you!! If this witness happens to not know the victim after all, then it’s your head Mr. Sialis!! Not mine!” The prosecution argued, yelling in attempt to shift over the embarrassment to the defense.

“Then are you done questioning the witness? If so, then let me cross examine her myself. I’ll prove for a fact in front of you, the judge and all the people of the jury here, that this witness is involved with the victim in one way or another with this piece of evidence.” Mr. Sialis rebutted holding and waving around a notebook.

“What’s that?” The witness asked.

Upon hearing the question, Mr. Sialis turned to where the voice came from. Mr. Sialis paused for a bit before explaining to her exactly what were the contents of the notebook he currently holds in his hands.

“This notebook that I hold in my hand is a piece of evidence.” Mr. Sialis elaborated to the witness. “It is the victim’s diary. He wrote his thoughts, and feelings about his day, environment, and especially the people around him. Particularly, he even talked about one person named Adelin. Which is exactly why you brought in here today.”

“Hmm… is that so?” The witness asked, curiously staring at the notebook in Mr. Sialis’s hands. Staring with child-like wonder, with some sort of mischievous intent to steal and read it all for herself.

“Witness, exactly what was the victim like in school?” The prosecution interjected with a question. After all, it was still their turn to question the witness in the first place.

“I… well…”

The witness then went on to elaborate particular on how the victim acted in school. Though, she didn’t seem to particularly talk about how she thought or felt about him at the time.

“Compared to other students, the victim was definitely a weird one… I guess.  It wasn’t like I saw him much—and of course there were more memorable classmates… er, students and memorable moments without him—but I suppose there was something… um… how should I put it…?”

The witness was twelve-years-old. She tried to utilize the best of her vocabulary. However, it took a while for her to choose and find a few words. Even if she had already said those words repeatedly.

“Memorable…?” Mr. Sialis said out loud to assist the witness and jog her vocabulary.

“Yeah, I guess you can say that.” The witness stated.

It’s the same word you just used before that sentence.

“Mr. Sialis, would you please stop interrupting the witness.” The prosecution interjected. “Save your chitchat and vocabulary lesson for after today’s trial.”

“I believe I can’t do that. The witness is twelve-years-old—”

“Thirteen!” The witness exclaimed, correcting the defense.

“Hm…?”

“I’m thirteen old.”

“Right… And she’s usually not supposed to be on a witness stand in a court of law, so to get the statement straight, don’t you think you need to assist the witness to find the words she’s looking for…?” Mr. Sialis explained, glancing at the judge as well. “Witness, continue.”

“…” The witness nodded before continuing her testimony. “Right, so anyways, I guess his most memorable…… thing, is his accent.”

“His accent…?” The prosecution asked to clarify.

“Yeah, he had this odd Britain accent that sorta stuck out.”

Mr. Sialis then picked up a few documents from his desk to review and state out loud. “But… the victim is…… not British.” He briefly explained.

“Actually, he did kind of liked to watch a lot of British films, British comedy, and British video game commentators online. He must’ve picked it up from there.” Mr. Abor stated. “It wasn’t like we nailed it into him or anything. And I’ll admit that I wasn’t close to the victim, but I at least know that because I find it peculiar how he also speaks to us in that accent as well. I mean, he practically nailed it into his own head.”

“…”

Mr. Sialis turned to his client—whom was supposedly the victim’s mother in the first place—and she nodded.

“Objection!” Defense attorney Sialis objected. “…Irrelevant.”

“Are you… objecting to the witness or the prosecution?” The judge asked.

“…”

“Overruled.” The judge stated. “Witness, continue.”

“I suppose another memorable time I had with the victim in school was that we were stuck in a room alone together once.”

“…?”

“Is that so…?”

“Yeah, but I didn’t really…… well, I wasn’t… I was on my phone.”

“And how did the victim react.”

“I think he was sort of freaking out for some reason. When he found out that the door was locked, he banged the door and tried to turn the door knobs no matter how many times it fails to open. He was sorta panicking too. However, the one thing he didn’t think of was calling for help. He acted as if he was stuck alone in a room with a monster.”

“………”

That sounds like an exaggerated overreaction.

“Is that it…?”

“Yeah? Well, that’s all that I’m kind of willing to share anyways. I’ll let you know if I recall anything that I might want to share……. Here.”

Did she mean the courtroom…? Mr. Sialis thought.

“Alright, but you better think and recall those quick. We don’t have much time for today.” Mr. Jester kindly told the young witness.

The prosecution then referred to the victim’s diary. He too picked it up and reviewed it for himself as the defense, judge, witness, and the people of the jury sat there in a moment of silence before the Prosecution concluded. The witness didn’t really share much, and she stated only what she thought that she was willing to share… which still isn’t much, but it’s something that I’ll have to work with, or it’s my head on the line.

“No further questions, your honor.” The prosecution concluded

“Mr. Jester would you care to elaborate what was the point of all that questioning…?”

“Hm? Oh…! Uhmm…” The prosecution hesitated to answer. He started thinking to himself, making thinking noises like ‘hmm…’. It seems like he didn’t really anticipate to answer that question yet, or that he was still trying to puzzle together the pieces in his thoughts.

“If that was all just a waste of time, then I’m afraid I’ll have to penalize you for the record.”

Prosecutor Jester flipped through the victim’s diary. He flipped through all of the pages until he reached the end and promptly clapping the notebook close.

“Actually, I believe that there was a point from all that, your honor!” He spoke out loud after thinking and finally arriving to a conclusion. “The witness claims to not have known the victim as far as she observed or cared. And another thing, she explains an incident that involved only the two of them which wasn’t added in any of the victim’s diary entries. If it was such a memorable event that even the witness Adelin remembers, then shouldn’t the victim have written it down in his diary too…? Therefore, this Adelin couldn’t have been one and the same that the victim was writing about in his notebook. And by now as the people of the jury have observed, if the defense fails to suggest the existence of this other Adelin, and how she’s related to the victim, then his case fails to hold water. If he doesn’t have a case for his client, then I believe we’ll have to conclude the defendant… Guilty! Guilty of the wrongful death by the claim of my client and her husband, leaving him entitled to the money the defendant owes the plaintiff.”

“I see…! That is very insightful, prosecutor.” The judge exclaimed, dumbfounded by the prosecutor’s explanation. “And here I thought you were just resorting to the defense’s methods of asking unnecessary questions.”

“Thank you for understanding your honor.”

The judge nodded in reply.

“—Objection!!” The defense exclaimed. “The prosecution finally states that they don’t have any further questions to ask the witness.” The defense explained. “Then surely, your honor, you haven’t forgotten about my cross examination, right?”

“Why, yes. Of course. You have the floor, Mr. Sialis.”

 

Cross Examination

 

The defense stood from his bench, leaving his client behind. He then approached the middle of the room to get closer to the witness before he started
asking her some questions. Mr. Sialis verified the prosecution’s claims by flipping through the victim’s diary, and he found the prosecution was right. The victim didn’t write about the witness’s “memorable” moment with him.

“Ms. Adelin Cite, please express to the court how you feel about the victim, Sean Abor.” The defense asked.

“Objection, Irrelevant.” The prosecution immediately objected.

“Sustained.” The judge decided. “Mr. Sialis, state your case.”

“Your honor, I would prefer for the witness to answer the question first. I believe the witness would be more reliable that way, and that she won’t be biased from my case. You’re just gonna have to put some faith in me.” The defense stated. “Witness, answer the question.” He persisted, ignoring the prosecution’s objection.

“How I feel about him…?” The witness repeated.

“Now, now. You don’t have to answer such insensitive question. Mr. Sialis is just going to have to ask a more sensible one.” The judge kindly suggested to the witness. “Won’t you, Mr. Sialis?”

“………” However, the defense attorney didn’t reply back.

Adelin Cite glanced over to the defense’s bench, then the prosecution’s bench, and finally the people of the jury. She felt the need to look at the people she’s talking to, in order to choose her words carefully. She spots her father sitting where the jury are, and she presumed that there are some people in the courtroom that are related to the victim—one Sean Abor that they keep asking and talking about ever since she entered the courtroom.

The witness wasn’t filled on the details, however, she was only asked to be brought to court to answer a few or some questions. That’s all she ever really knew at the time.

“I hate Sean Abor.” The witness bluntly stated, fixing a serious expression on her face with eyes as dead as a fish. “I think of him as a sleazebag.”

“I beg your pardon?” The defense asked, however only getting a glare from the witness in return.

“Y’know… that’s exactly how he speaks.” Said the witness, aggravated by the defense’s question. “It just makes me really angry whenever I’m reminded by him.”

“I see.” Mr. Sialis replied. He has a feeling, but he’s not sure whether it’s bad or good for his case. It was just a feeling that the witness’s feelings would elevate.

The defense was going to calm the witness down.

“Calm down.” Defense attorney Sialis said to the heating witness.

“And you know what. I’m glad he’s gone.” The witness stated.

“I… what?”

“Watch your words, young lady…!!” A man—presumably the witness’s father—stood up from his seat from the peanut gallery to scold the witness.

People started whispering to another, gossiping and causing a little bit of uproar because of how many people are talking to one another at the same time and room. Though, all that Mr. Sialis thought or observed at the time was how the Abor couple didn’t pay attention to the witness’s rather offensive claim. Did they acknowledge that the witness is just a kid who can say whatever she wants? Were they just ignorant? were they not paying attention? No, the witness expressed her feelings loud and clear twice… Or is it that they just didn’t care enough for the victim?

“Order! Order in the court!!” The judge shouted, knocking his gavel a few times to get the people’s attention.

That is one bold kid. Mr. Sialis then thought. The prosecution looked confident. The prosecution looked even cocky rather. It was as if they knew what was going to happen next, though, Mr. Sialis was sure that they have no such ability to predict the future or read one’s mind. To the defense, the prosecution was being too confident for no valid reason.

Prosecutor Jester on the other hand, thought that he’s got Mr. Sialis at the palm of his hands. You see, while they were prepping the witness, the prosecution had already asked her some questions beforehand. Which explains why they didn’t have anymore necessary questions to ask the witness, and why they didn’t flinch once from the witness’s unexpected offensive statement. The prosecution already knows that the witness hates the victim and they thought they could use it against the defense. After all, the plaintiff’s case is riding on this one single piece of evidence that ties to the name Adelin which they used to incriminate the defendant, Adelyn. The piece of evidence incriminates the defendant mainly because it states that the victim foresaw this Adelin having ill-will against him, and other than plain ignorance, the defendant doesn’t seem to show any signs to express that emotion at all. However, new insight has come to light that a student whose name is exactly spelled as Adelin does have ill-will towards the victim. And if Mr. Sialis could find a connection between the victim’s diary and that student—who now stands at the witness stand—then a new possible option has paved its way, being that he could accuse the witness to get his client acquitted.

An option to accuse the thirteen-year-old witness of somehow poisoning the victim just because she has the motive to.

Now, of course, if the defense to decides to accuse the witness and go to such lengths just to prove his client to be innocent—a motive wouldn’t just be enough. He’d need evidence to establish how exactly the witness could be held responsible for the victim’s death. Evidence of the witness poisoning the victim. Defense attorney Sialis would need to prove a method, a murder weapon, and a link that the witness possesses such weapon.

However, that’s just a mere possibility that ran through both the defense and prosecution’s mind.

Mr. Sialis decided that he will stand his ground and case. The prosecution overused their imagination so much that they overlooked one detail. The defense only has to find a link between the witness and the victim’s diary. He doesn’t need to accuse anyone as long as he can prove that the only evidence that the prosecution possesses is false to incriminate his client.

And to prove such feat, the defense attorney slammed his right fist against his desk, sounding almost just as loud as the judge’s gavel to catch the attention of everyone in the room.

Then he asked the witness an obvious question.

“Ms. Adelin Cite. would you care to state for the court exactly when is your birthday?”

It’s a question straight to the point.

“Objection!” The prosecution objected. “Irrelevant.”

“Sustained.” The judge replied.

It’s also a question that could be objectionable. If the defense doesn’t state his case as to why he’s asking the question, then it may be deemed irrelevant.

“…?” The witness was puzzled as to where that question came from, but just as she was about to answer, the defense suggested another idea.

“Remember that you’re under oath.” Mr. Sialis said, ignoring the prosecution’s objection. “You may remain silent about your birthday, or lie about it. But we can still confirm the date of your birth through your parent”

“Wait a sec—” The witness interjected. “You’re starting to not make any sense. Why would I lie about my birthday?”

“………”

It seems that the defense was just a little too paranoid with that question.

He then turned to the peanut gallery to find the witness’s father, whom was still standing up, and hearing the defense’s claim and statement loud and clear.

“I… well, of course I can recall my daughter’s date of birth” The witness replied. “I’d be a terrible father if I didn’t, how else would I know when to buy a present…? It’s uh…… March 38, right?”

“Right…?” Mr. Sialis repeated in disbelief.

There’s no such thing as march 38, and what’s the world coming to? Did her father just get a brain fart? Did he really forget about his daughter’s birthday so bad that he’s also forgotten how many days are there in a month? Was that a dad joke or are parents these days just really ignorant about their children? Mr. Sialis thought. I mean, why have children if you’re not gonna care, remember their birthdays, or if you’re literally going to name them ‘Abortion’.

“No! it’s not!!” The witness exclaimed, even more aggravated than when she thought of the victim. “It’s March 28.”

Mr. Sialis glanced at the peanut gallery, then to the witness. He looked down in disbelief. He felt as if a headache or a migraine is coming to him.

“I’m sorry your honor,” Mr. Sialis apologized. “It seems that I’m heavily mistaken to believe that the witness’s father could confirm the witness’s date of birth.” He explained. “Perhaps we’ll just have to review her birth certificate for another time or we’ll just have to take her word for it.”

“Well, in the first place the prosecution and I have agreed that it’s an irrelevant question” The judge state. “Unless of course you have a good reason why you asked the witness.”

Hm…? wait, didn’t the witness just say that her birthday is March twenty-eight?

“Actually, your honor. Now that the witness has answered the question. I believe I do have a good reason for asking about her birthday.”

“Go on.” said the prosecution, satirically encouraging the defense to explain himself.

Mr. Sialis then referred back to the victim’s diary. After all, it’s the only evidence they have against his client. All the defense has to do is find a way to refute it, and they’ll have nothing left to accuse the defendant with.

He flipped through the notebook, stating the specific page he was referring to.

“If you care to pay attention to the victim’s diary entry on the witness’s birthday, on March 28th. The victim wrote the events of his actions that transpired that day. His actions being giving this other Adelin a birthday present.”

“The victim gave a birthday present to someone named Adelin, on their birthday… what a coincidence.” The prosecution jested as if he knew it all along, and as if the defense just stated the obvious.

“Coincidence…? I think not.” The defense fired back, slamming one fist on his desk again.

“While the prosecution’s case stands and rides on the accusation and belief that the victim wrote about this person named Adelin—which states a foresight that she has ill-will towards him—my case stands otherwise. I intend to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Adelin the victim wrote about in his diary isn’t the one and the same as my client! But the Adelin the victim wrote about is the one standing behind the witness stand before us.”

“I see…” The judge interjected. “And how exactly are you going to prove that? Mr. Sialis.”

“It’s simple, I’ve already said this once before, and the witness’s brief and blunt emotional outburst towards the victim supports it.” Mr. Sialis began explaining. “The victim wrote about giving an Adelin a birthday present on her birthday, and it also states that she might’ve hated it. Now, that might sound like anxiety from the victim as he wrote about it, but we have an Adelin right here and now in this very courtroom who happens to have the same birthdate as the victim scribbled down in his little diary. An Adelin that also happens to have hated the victim.”

“Oh yeah? Aren’t you going to suggest anything else…?” The prosecution offered.

“No.” The defense instantly answered.

“What?” The prosecution asked. Then he walked up to the defense lawyer to tell him something personally. “You’ve got a motive, evidence, the witness—or as you put it—the other Adelin is right there. You could get your client acquitted easily if you shift the accusation to the child…!” he whispered.

“And why are you telling me this? What benefit would you get out of me doing that?” Mr. Sialis asked back.

The prosecution walked back and forth almost stomping gently, seemingly starting to get frustrated like a child on a tantrum or like a mad man all of the sudden. Motioning his hands around his face and hair. He did this for a short moment until he stopped and slightly turned to Mr. Sialis. He whispered something to him.

“Oh, I don’t know… entertain me a little. Would ya?” Prosecutor Jester added.

“…”

No one heard the words from the contrasting mood of the prosecution, all except for Mr. Sialis, and he decided to ignore it. Standing there in a brief moment of silence before the defense attorney turned to the witness to ask one final question to her.

“Did Sean Abor, give you something, or even a present perhaps for your birthday?”

“………”

The witness hesitated to answer. Her eyes lost color as it dullened, and her face turned pale white leaving this dead expression on her face slightly twitching in what seemed to be the tiniest detail of frustration or anger.

 “It’s alright, you can express yourself.” The defense attorney suggested, nodding to the witness.

It seems that the prosecutor could’ve specifically instructed the witness not to express herself too much. Mr. Sialis observed. It’s almost the oldest trick in the lawyer’s book. ‘To not say or express anything without a lawyer’s say in it’ or something along those lines. It’s used to phrase that they shouldn’t say anything they wouldn’t regret. Anything they could’ve said could’ve been used against them in a court of law, and that they should always consult their lawyer before speaking.

Mr. Sialis observed and assumed that the prosecutor had something to do with the witness not expressing herself unless told or asked to, but he has no evidence of it. Frankly, however, the fearful part about this is that children—unless rebellious, smarter, or with decent common sense—would practically do anything the adults and grown ups tell them to, especially when those adults work with the police.

The color from the witness Adelin Cite’s face returned to her face and eyes, as she nodded back to the defense attorney Sialis and narrowed her eyebrows expressing her resentment.

“Yes, the victim did give me something on my birthday… however, as you all already know. I hate him. And I hated the present too.” The witness stated.

“Out of curiosity. What was the present he gave you?” The defense continued to ask the witness.

“I… well… I don’t have it anymore.” The witness answered.

The confident looking, stoic defense attorney felt a slight chill down his spine all of the sudden. Was this kid bluffing? That would be devastating for my case.

“I burned it.” Adelin Cite added.

“………”

The defense attorney stood there in almost disbelief, but the witness is a child and a child under oath at that. He decided to give the witness a little faith.

Well, there’s that.

“No further questions, your honor.” Mr. Sialis resigned. “And if the prosecution doesn’t have any further evidence, witnesses or statements to address. Then would it be alright if I moved onto my concluding statement?”

“Hm… well, it’s your call prosecutor jester.” The judge said. After all, he didn’t want to be biased as he looks over today’s court proceedings. Of course, he also decides when to take recess breaks, when to adjourn, what says and goes, and when to announce a continuation and all that, but ultimately, he didn’t want to leave a single piece of information related to the case to go unscrutinized.

“No, your honor. I rest my case.” The prosecution answered.

“Oh, I see… alright then. You may proceed Mr. Sialis.” The judge announced.

The prosecution sighed and the plaintiff, look shocked—to hear that they’re losing the case—and started throwing a fit of frustration towards the resigned prosecutor. What are you doing? Win this case for me! It’s your JOB the plaintiff told Mr. Jester. However, the prosecutor gave an unsatisfactory reply back to him, saying that nothing could else could’ve been done, I mean, it was foolish of you to only accuse someone with a single piece of evidence in the first place. Then the plaintiff whispered back, asking him Then why’d you take the case if it was so foolish? Of which the prosecutor paused to carefully choose his words before he replied again Maybe for some entertainment. But frankly, the prosecution was already bored and tired of it, which are unprofessional feelings he should keep in the inside and never express it on the out.

Finally, the defense started to state the conclusion of his case.

“As you can see your honor, the witness’s statement—though could be questionable—is still able to hold the water of the argument for my case. The plaintiff’s only evidence to support his claim is the victim’s diary, which I only intended to refute using the witness, Adelin Cite before us in this very courtroom today. She has ill-will towards the victim, her birthday is on the march 28th, and the only evidence to prove that she interacted with the victim happens to be written in his diary entry. I hereby conclude my case that the Adelin—the victim wrote about in his diary—wasn’t his very own mother, Adelin Abor, but it was the witness and schoolmate before us on the witness stand, Adelin Cite. However, I don’t intend to incriminate the juvenile witness for the wrongful death of Abor, Sean. My only intentions were to prove that my client isn’t the same Adelin the victim wrote about having ill-will against him in his diary. Therefore, I refute the plaintiff and prosecution’s claims and evidence, with their own evidence and a witness against them.” Mr. Sialis explained, loud and clear enough for the people of the jury to hear. “I rest my case.”

“I see… that is very reasonable and insightful, Mr. Sialis.” The judge said, closing his eyes and stroking his chin to process the defense lawyer’s words before proceeding. “Now before I adjourn the court. Does the prosecution have a concluding statement…?”

“No, your honor.” The prosecution answered holding down the shoulder of the plaintiff.

“Right, then.” The judge replied. “In light of the defense’s information, the court must rule in favor of Ms. Abor. We will have a hearing on June 10th at 10am, I hope to see both parties attend punctually and appropriately.” The judge added. “Court is adjourned.”

The judge knocked his gavel to conclude the court’s proceedings, and everyone exited the courtroom to go home. Mr. Sialis stayed a bit to chat with his client and sign a few papers. He noticed that his client and the plaintiff exchanged the a few words before they parted ways, but he decided to ignore and forget about it… for now.

 

9:07pm August 19th,
Local Law Firm,
Mr. Sialis’s Office.

 

Unfortunately, during the hearing a couple of months ago, Mr. Sialis’s client outburst an absurd confession. Confessing with contempt and lying about her case with a slight discord and desperate tone from her voice.

The forensics could never clearly identify the chemical that killed Abor, Sean. They could only confirm its existence, however without knowing the cause, the police decided and updated the autopsy report lately stating that the victim died an unknown death.

Ms. Abor confessed to murder, and the homicide of her son.

However, the case she originally had wasn’t to be treated as a murder case in the first place. It was treated to be a claim of wrongful death. Her husband claimed that she holds responsibility to the death of their son. Not necessarily having sufficient evidence to prove that she directly killed him.

The case was treated as a wrongful death, claiming that the defendant is liable for the death of their son. It could’ve been treated a homicide, however the police had insufficient evidence. They couldn’t establish the exact murder weapon or whether the defendant had intended to poison the victim. It couldn’t be treated as a murder case because they couldn’t prove that the defendant murdered the victim. It was only a claim or accusation because the victim foresaw ill-will in a person and stated it in their diary. And it’s also because the victim was in the care of his mother at the time.

It was only up until the defendant confessed that the police and court decided to take another step or trial against her, though, unfortunately Mr. Sialis wasn’t able to defend her for that case. Instead, she was assigned a different lawyer, chosen by and from the police department instead of from some local firm for civil and criminology freelancers.

However, since then Mr. Sialis had done some investigations and research of his own personal curiosity. And he ended up digging up some interesting information and rumors about what had actually transpired with the Abor family. It was a small rumor, but its case seemed big or major.

Rumors are supposed to spread, no matter how far a person could tell their stories to and with. However, this particular rumor seemed to have only been trusted by the lowliest of felons. It was a peculiar rumor that not even police heard word about it. Not even the news or the most famous news catchers of journalisms has caught attention of this rumor. It almost seemed like the rumor was too far fetched to believe at all. Though, the only thing that’s keeping the rumor’s existence together are the evidence and people involved with it.

Mr. Sialis went down to the precinct once to ask about the rumor around. And no one recalled such rumor being reported to the officers who work there. it was a rumor that never reached the police somehow, and the rumor was supposed to be similar to conducting illegal experiments on human beings, so much so that they used a certain injecting drug that might as well have considered the crime to be a lowly drug dealing.

It was criminal information that Mr. Sialis got somehow, and the police didn’t know about it. So, the unemployed lawyer gave them a tip about it, in exchange for something in return. And it was a fair deal. Information for information. Mr. Sialis would report to the officers exactly what he knew about the rumors, and in exchange, the police would let him into the archives to search for specific documents about the people involved in the rumor to verify the illegal claims he’s heard so much about.

The rumor was about a new type of illegal abortion. A new drug to inject with a needle into pregnant women with unwanted children.

You see, abortion is one of the many sensitive subjects. Though, it’s just not as popular as war and pollution. It’s illegal in some countries, it’s legal in some countries. It’s can be associated to religion. Some disagree with it, and some agree with it. Some children are afraid of it—as they should be since they were a developing fetus. And another problem with abortion would have been that it can be pricey.

The rumor was about some college student who majored in human sciences. He developed his own type of abortion drug and method, and started distributing it around his school for a cheap price. The people who were witnesses of such rumor claimed that he’s only distributing them for a testing, and that there were many people getting pregnant around him those days, so he claimed to have just happened to come up with the research at the ‘right’ place at the ‘right’ time. However, over the months the abortion drug didn’t work and the pregnant college students ended up giving birth to children anyways. So, they blamed the college student who gave them the drug.

 

The student was only distributing his drugs for human testing. He actually wanted to start mass producing it, up until he started getting complaints of which followed his mysterious disappearance.

The rumors say that he’s still distributing that kind of drug today, and not even the official scientist alumni of the school, nor the forensic team from the precinct could identify exactly what kind of chemical was given to them. but since there didn’t seem to be any effects anyway, they just dropped the case without looking back or saying a word about it.

Around eight years later, children started dying and dropping randomly like flies due to an unknown cause. Some say it’s a heart attack but no damage or ruptures to the heart were found. The brain or heart just seemed to stop all of the sudden and no one knew why up until someone suggested that perhaps they were poisoned by an unknown chemical.

Only twelve victims died during, after, and throughout those eight years. Some died after turning nine, then ten, then eleven, and current year… twelve. There could be more in the future, and the police from the precinct didn’t really look into it much. They just claimed it to be weird and just dropped the case lightly. During those many years, just twelve victims felt so little to them that they didn’t bother to look at it because there were more major crimes happening around the city.

However, the parents whom have fallen victim from their children’s death have been noticing something that some if not all of them have in common other than their children’s deaths.

It was the fact that they all took that abortion drug all those years ago. And the witnesses from the incident that started such rumor could attest to that too—but…

That college student has been long gone, leaving no trace behind…just like the drug he produced and distributed. No effects, nor were there any traces left behind. it was as if he nor the drug existed at all which made everyone just forget about it so easily.

So then, after some light reading at the precinct’s archives, he returned back to his personal office to piece the pieces together and how it could be related to the Abor case.

Here was his conclusion so far…………

 

Mr. and Ms. Abor were one of those people who took that abortion drug. Naturally it didn’t have any effects at first, but my theory is that it’ll start to show its effects overtime, or should I say…… over years.

The drug the college student distributed, and the drug these parents took instantly kills their children when they develop in the future. Though… I don’t really have evidence to support that, but I went to the archives to look into the history of the Abor family a bit more, specifically the claimed to be wife Adelyn Abor and I found that she attended the same college the abortion drug was distributed in, 12 years ago. I mean, I just couldn’t think of any other explanation.

 

Adelyn Abor wanted to commit abortion to her unwanted child. She took the drug but ended up giving birth to the child anyways—whom she practically named ‘Abortion’ (Abortion). And twelve years later, her son grew 12 years older and died due to poison from an unidentifiable chemical.

Some despicable murderers kill children claiming it’s late abortion.

That college student… literally created a belated abortion drug.

 

I don’t think it was a coincidence either. I also don’t think it was a coincidence for my client to confess all of the sudden after exchanging words with the plaintiff after the trial before the hearing.

 

But if Ms. Abor really committed to taking that drug, then…… that would mean that she’s practically responsible for her child’s death in the first place. So, she wasn’t lying about her confession. And in a way…

 

I was practically in the wrong for defending her.

 

Case closed. Mr. Sialis typed something up in his laptop for hours and never looked back on the case since then. He moved on to new cases and well… he needs a new job. And to get that new job he needs a client to take on. So, he plans to visit the law firm again soon to see what they have in store for him.

0