Prologue-1-(BIRTH)A Blessing from the stars
217 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The stars have always carried a deep meening for humanity, as it not only guided us when we were a migrating people, giving light and direction so we could conquer the land and traverse the seas. But also were associated with fate and destiny, aways unchanging only waiting for humanity to uncover its meaning. The stars being not only responsible for our past conquest but also an object of yearning that humans wish to conquer one day in the far future.


 

"My lord everything will be alright,we have been preparing for this moment for weeks and I swear upon my life that no problems will be allowed to occur." Comes an voice filled with worry and nervousness. 

A conversation is occurring in a corridor, it was filled with portraits and with intricate design indicating a certain wealth and right in front of a door at the end of the corridor it can be seen three men in an what seems to be an waiting area.

The first was very old with white hair, dark skin and tired/unfocused dark eyes, and he seemed to try his best to hide his own anxiety while reassuring the second man, that is so worried that he can no longer stay seated and started to roam left and right in front of the door, meanwhile the third which had a more wild appearance was quiet, but it could be seen that he was on high alert, ready to intercept any danger that came close.

The mood between those three was so tense that anyone without high mental fortitude would find difficult even to breathe in this environment. 

The voice from earlier came from the first man, a very concerned servant that was trying his best to keep the other two from lashing out and destroying the nearby furniture in order to vent their stress. His name is Jonathan and he is the head butler/manager of the enormous mansion the group is currently in and this ordeal is putting to the test all of the skills that were perfect in his 5 years of experience, 2 years being in his current position. His apparence is of an very well groomed old man with an butler outfit, an grey well combed hair and an monocle in his left eye. Although his expression was calm, it was hard to miss the flaws and sudden twitches of his face muscles .

"I would rather be in the middle of the battlefield, behind enemy lines and under heavy fire than sit here waiting for 5 more torturous minutes." The second man who is non other than the head of the house, Augustus von Graad, starts ranting while wearing a hopeless expression. He is no stranger to tense situations and was able to remain calm where many man would give in to despair, but even his vast experience on the battlefield haven't prepared him for this. His appearance is that of a very well built and handsome middle aged man with a few scars on his body, short black hair and black eyes. His imposing appearance is complimented by his height that easily reaches 2 meters.

Finally the final person on the group decides to speak:

"If I weren't seeing with my own eyes and instead someone else told me that Augustus, the war hero who has faced everything this galaxy has thrown at him while showing little to no fear, has been reduced to this state because his wife is currently undergoing labor, I wouldn't take his words seriously and would even accuse him of lying before calling him out as a looney with a very vivid imagination." He says while still being on the lookout. His name is Leon and as his habit suggests he is a warrior that already has been baptized by the battlefield, as such it is natural for him to stay on his guard when faced with situations of high stress. He is an old friend of Augustus as they fought alongside each other.

Augustus wife has been going through labor for about an hour, and the wait has already became unbearable, thankfully he has his two oldest friends providing their support in their own way. Even after leaving the military they continued following him and for that he is deeply grateful.

Jonathan is loyal and responsible, he always fulfills his duties impeccably and he can be always trusted to manage his residence. He met Augustus when they enlisted in the army and he was his second in command due to his ability to organize and maintain discipline of the soldiers. However he latter suffered grave wounds having no option but to leave and roam the galaxy in search for a new purpose, until destiny would decide to reunite him with the now head of the von Graad house, after receiving an invitation to work under him once again he accepted and have been working for him ever since.

While Leon is more rugged and rough, being a warrior through and through. Another distinguishing trait are the lion ears and tail that reveals him to be an half-beastman due to his animal traits and overall human appearance. This combined with his disorganized appearance gives him a wild feeling. He also fought with Augustus in the army and was known for his ferocity in battle as well as his skill in close combat, currently he is the captain of the house von Graad knightly order which maintain order and security to the territory.

"What do the two of you think my son that will soon to be born will be like?" In order to ensure that their thoughts remain in the more positive side, Augustus decided to have the three of them should start discuss about his unborn son.

"Hmmn..., He will have a great prowess for combat, regardless of him being quiet or loud, humble or arrogant. He will certainly have your charisma and skill and I will be the one to train him when the time comes, don't even try to take this position from me!" Leon replies first, and to him it doesn't matter what is his personality is, as long as he gets to personally train him, when he started to think about it, he gets so excited that he started to shout at the end.

"This humble servant would be satisfied just to be able to watch your son grow up healthy, but I can't say that I would be delighted if he was patient and studious, it would be a great pleasure to teach him all that I can." Jonathan couldn't help but become emotional when thinking about teaching the soon to be little lord of the territory.

"I would like my son to be a sincere and just, I wouldn't mind if he chose to go through a different path and seek a different destiny than the one presented to him but all I ask is for him to have integrity and responsibility in whatever he does." Augustus gives his opinion, showing a very open mind surprising the other two, that is not what is expected from someone who is so straightforward and stubborn at times. 

But the conversation quickly dies out and the heavy atmosphere makes its return.   

As if to finally end the three's plight, from inside the room was heard the cries of an baby and it was pretty loud, that was very good as it shows that it's healthy but there's one more thing to check in order to let all his worries fade away.

Footsteps steadily approached the door and when it was opened a very tired nurse exited the room and made its way to the worried husband, seeing the expression on its face she spoke to him very slowly and calmly to not agitate him further:

"Congratulations my lord, the procedure was a complete success, the baby was born a strong and healthy boy and although milady is very tired, her overall health has not been affected and she only needs a few days of plentiful rest to fully recuperate."

As soon as she finished explaining he immediately rushed into the room while the other two stood at the entrance choosing to give the now bigger family some privacy, just the knowledge that everything was fine was more than enough for the two of them.

When the now father entered the room, he was greeted with a scene he wouldn't be able to forget for the rest of his life. His wife rested on an enormous bed with various machines monitoring her health and despite of the disheveled blond hair, tired blue eyes and sweat that cling to her white skin, she still managed to take his breath with her bealty, but his gaze quickly went to the cloth she was holding close to her protectively.

This scene would be considered strange to most other nobles since natural birth stopped being common practice as medicine advanced, most noble women would have the embryo removed and spending the last months of gestation in an artificial womb in order to maintain their health and body shape.

But his wife was always different then other women, the moment she discovered the pregnancy she was determined to care for the child best she could and go through the complete pregnancy in order to deepen her bond with her child, not caring for the price or the advices of her fellow noble women. This much love for someone who has not even been born is almost unheard of among the nobility which is known to be very rational and selfish.  

He carefully aproached and took seat on the bedside, finally being able to see his son for the first time and not being able to hold in his emotions he spoke:

"He's perfect isn't he?"

His wife Alicia von Graad tiredly nods and and responds while caressing his litle tuff of hair:

"He has a pure black hair just like yours. I wish he could open his eyes to see what is their colour, hopefully he will grow to be as handsome as his father."She says with a bit of playfulness knowing how easily her husband becomes flustered when he is complemented.

Unsurprisingly he isn't able to form a response but internally all he thinks is how blessed he is to be able to witness this moment and how glad that he left the military to marry this woman, no amount of fame and glory can compare to this feeling. 

"Have you decided on his name?" She quickly pulls him out of his thoughts with an question that's been on his mind for months but only now seeing his son he finally found the answer

"Alabaster, Alabaster von Graad will be the name of our son" His wife after a short pondering nods her head and seems pleased with her husband's choice.

"He is destined for greatness. I can feel it, the stars from above gave to us a sign and to him was given a blessing by them glowing the brightest they ever had, as if to welcome that who may one day rule them." She speaks in a tone almost sounding like a profecy while staring at the vibrantly shining stars through the window of the room.

"I agree, but now you must rest, the birth must have been hard for you and your body must have plenty of rest to recover.

"I love you." His wife tells him before the tiredness makes her fall asleep. 

"I love you too, and I will do whatever necessary to keep our family safe. This is a promise I will do anything to keep." He says showing his determination not only as an soldier, lord and husband but now also as an father.  

Hello there, I hope you enjoyed the first chapter of this novel Which is the first I have ever written, I would appreciate if I'm given feedback about what do you feel about the chapters. Any grammatical errors that are pointed out I will try my best to fix them.

5