Prologue-7-Being reborn
90 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The day had started early for Alabaster, after all today is easily one of the most important days of his life.  

An week has passed an the day of his awakening ceremony has come and depending on the result of his aptitude test his life could see drastic changes.

He woke up as usual in his room with the help of his loyal attendant Beatrice that still kept her stoic face and formal speech.

He smiled seeing her kuudere persona, showing micheviousness. Before that had made him disheartened and betrayed but now it made him more motivated.  

On the course of the week he started to get used to it but what made him this cheerful is that when he made an last ditch effort to get a reaction of her despite her self restraint she ended up slipping up and broken her facade.

That had made him act the opposite of what she wanted since when getting an reaction of his constant teasing was harder it made all reactions that much more rewarding, it made his competitive spirit burn and he redoubled his efforts making her extremely troubled and helpless.

Nonetheless today he wouldn't be able to enjoy himself since it was a very busy day and he couldn't afford to make any mistakes.

At first his day started with an almost 2 hours of grooming to make sure his appearance was up to par and he looked the best in this important day.

After it was finally over he headed towards the saloon where the party to commemorate his 12nd birthday. Since there was two separate events and both were quite lengthy the first one started very early in the morning .

Reaching the reception I make my way towards my parents that were awaiting for me and while the staff is preparing the room and party is yet to start they start to give him a few instructions since he almost never participates in formal events.

All his previous birthdays, the party was an particular one, with only the ones closest to him attending. But this birthday was easily the most important one, and because of it, him showing his face to the nobility circle is a must.  

"I know that you aren't the most extroverted boy out there but you must understand that you can't just sit in a corner on your own birthday party, so please, at least make some effort to greet the guest and introduce yourself to children your age." Says his mother in an worried tone, she fears that his antisocial tendencies coupled with not attending any social gatherings will end up with him making a bad impression. He already has a mixed views in the noble circles since his misteriouness and talents made many admire him while others are jealous and badmouth him.

"Don't worry! You just need to remind yourself that you are an von Graad and carry all the house prestige of our house, show confidence! Be bold and decisive and you will naturally be able to leave a good impression on others." Augustus tries to give the best tips Council he can considering that he has about the same experience as his son in regards to nobility and his personality is ill suited to mingling in high society.

"Try to not make an expression that shows that you would rather be anywhere but here, even if you dislike the event maintain an smile and act politely in order to not drive away the people near"

"But don't be too humble! They will step on you if you allow them, don't hesitate to show your capabilities and put others in their place."

"Be on the lookout for any ladies that pick your fancy, it's about time to start looking for an partner..."

"Also be on the weary of..."

....

...

This goes on for a while, until the reception gets ready and the guests starts arriving. 

Alabaster stands near his parents while greeting the guests, for an event of this size there aren't that many but the ones that are noteworthy are:

The hazel house, they are the the rivals of the von Graad and compete with them in almost all aspects since they are also counts and their heir is the number 1 hater of Alabaster and being responsible for a good part of the negative rumors floating around, he developed his distaste for him due to being constantly compared to Alabaster and being jealous of all the attention and admiration he gets without even trying.

They make no effort to conceal their hostility, specially their son Brutus that is almost snarling at Alabaster. Meanwhile the hosts treated them in kind by acting coldly and overall ignoring their presence since they couldn't trow them out due to customs and their image. 

The other one being the Scarlett house wich are by far the strongest force in the southern leviathan cluster having brought their daughter alongside the head of the house.

The Scarlets are an lower branch of an powerful family that has a lot of influence on the nothernmost region of the leviathan cluster and thanks to their support they are capable of remaining the strongest house and the only territory with an viscount as its lord.

There are also the Wayward Corp wich is by far one of the strongest economic powers in the sector and they focus on research and exploration.

Whenever they hear that there is a new planet that wasn't surveyed or an ancient artifact that wasn't unearthed they are the first to go to the cite and retrieve it. That is something that they can do uncontested since they are the only ones with enough technology and wealth to get any benefit out of them.

They as an neutral party are essential to maintaining the balance in the cluster and are one of the few entities that are willing to make connections with us, not caring about our 'impure bloodline' or the threat that an rapidly growing house can provide, only caring about profits. 

And soon after came the weaker noble houses, barons and 1st class counts followed by the various merchant guilds and small conglomerates, they all come to pay their respects.

On the reality, they are just here to try and probe our house, they are clearly looking to see if we're an threat and try to gauge our strength and see if it's worth it to make connections with us at the risk of making enemies with the other big powers.

In reality, our territory doesn't have much that would warrant such suspicion and aggression, although we are prosperous our territories aren't vast and my father isn't going to be expanding any time soon.

What is their real problem is my father, His background as an war hero gives him much more influence that even he thinks,  and despite my father not having had any connections with the military since settling down his name still has a enormous sway among the soldiers making others weary of his power.

After finally finishing all the introductions my father brings me to make an announcement and formally start the birthday party. 

"I am greatly pleased by the presence of all of you in today's event, today is a great day for the whole of the von Graad household, for my only son Alabaster is finally becoming an adult and by the guidance of the stars his path may be lit and his body blessed with the capability to manipulate the cosmos. Without funder ado, everyone, drink and feast to your hearts content for this is an auspicious day. I hope everyone enjoys the party!".

Then finally the party starts and the mingling of the high society can continue.

My father spends his time around his longtime friends and a few acquaintances of the military that he invited trying his best to ignore all the stares.

My mother goes to the noble woman circles to do the usual gossip but mainly to start bragging about her son and watch the flustered and envious expressions of her 'friends'.

While I after greeting a few acquaintances from my father and mother was spending my time alone and away from all the troublesome talking and formalities. If I could, I would had already moved along with the birthday party and started the awakening ceremony since it's by far the most important event of today.

Despite my wish to stay away from the other guests, I had to at least make the minimal of efforts to make a few connections, so I go straight towards the area where the smaller merchants and conglomerates.

They were taken by surprise as usually someone in my position would stick with nobles of my age, but I would rather have an conversation that would both be more intellectually demanding and may give the territory a few tangible benefits.

It was a very interesting and informative interaction with me being able to pick up various useful facts that they let slip, no doubt they thought it was no problem since I am too young to know but they must not have known that my knowledge in territorial affairs and economy cannot be gauged by your normal standards.

Apparently there has been a great increase in the tension along the borders of the empire, and in turn they have shifted their forces to protect the most important star systems, that has left the areas in the frontiers where the control was lax even harder to control, giving the Frontier territories free reign to fight unimpeded.

There is probably going to be an war in the next few years. But I'm not too worried since our territory is too remote and barren to attract any invaders and in regards to the increasing conflicts between the minor lords our house is very strong despite how young it is, and with someone of my father's caliber leading it, would be necessary for all the major forces of the Southern leviathan cluster to bring us down.

After exiting the conversation I try to return to my previous location satisfied with the amount of social interaction I had for the day but I am intercepted by someone unexpected.

It's an old man with very little hair on top of his hair in contrast with his bushy white beard, he is the head of the Scarlett house, His expression is an very gentle one, someone less perceptive might mistake him for an harmless old man.                     

"Oya! If it isn't the little lord, congratulations for your initiation onto noblehood. Honestly I heard a lot about the little lord but seeing you in person shows that you are even more talented than the rumors have made you out to be."

"Greetings lord, I am great full for your presence at this event. And you flatter me, despite my talents i pale in comparison to the wisdom and experience your lordship possesses." I greet him in the best of my abilities, but I am weary of his motives, someone of his status has no reason to humor me even if we are the hosts of the event. I must be on my guard against any of his schemes.

"You're too humble, your father is very fortunate to have such an impressive son, with you on its head your family's future might be prosperous, when I look at you up close I can see your resemblance too him but when I saw you mingling with the merchants I realized that your personality is very different from his, while he can only talk with others like him you seem more adept at maneuvering noble circles." He proceeds in an gentle tone giving the impression of an gentle old man.

After hearing that I try my best to conceal my expression while cursing internally. 'What an cunning fox! What do you mean with 'might be prosperous'? Are you insinuating that in my father's hands our territory is doomed!? And the last part of the sentence might seem harmless but it carries an different meaning:(you seem to be competent despite being son of that     no-good nunbskull)'.He is probably testing me to gauge my reaction and know what is my personality, he was compelled to do this since there is very little known about me thanks to my absence from social circles so far.

"Thanks, it means a lot coming from your lordship. It is true my father has almost the same experience as me in regards to noble gatherings, very different from your lordship. I heard that the Scarlets are an side branch of the Phoenix house, they must have a lot of trust in you for tasking you in expanding their influence through such an unexplored and opportunity filled territory. It is must have be an honor to have been put in high regards." I not wanting to just take it lying down I  have sent my own jab, I target his sore spot knowing he has an very low standing in the Phoenix house and he split from the main branch and came to the Frontier in shame since he couldn't compete inside the house and could only prosper as an lower noble.

Hearing this, someone cunning like him didn't feel offended or at least didn't show it openly and only chuckled and stared at the young noble with amusement thinking:'he is really different from his father, cunning and tactful while retaining his boldness, this brat is really something.' 

"He He, you must be curious about why I came to see you personally, and the truth is that I would like to introduce you to my daughter Sarah, she is only a few months younger than you and from what I heard there isn't any other maiden that tickles your fancy so perhaps the two of you can know each other a little better, I am confident that the two of you would get along quite well." After voicing such a sudden proposal he calls his daughter that was standing at the side completely silent and she approaches introducing herself.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, young lord of the von Graad, my name is Sarah Scarlett and it is a honor to finally meet you face to face I hope we can build a positive relationship." The young girl that had been completely ignored in the sidelines reveals herself to be a petite girl with an curly crimson hair and bright red eyes, traits of the Phoenix house wich the Scarlett house originated from, but in contrast to her attractive appearance her expression and demeanor exude an uncomfortable feeling, as if you are staring at a soulless doll. Despite her effort to conceal  it with a smile, she just looks pitiful, another young girl that has all her actions controlled by her family without a voice of her own.

I choose to just return the greeting and do not try to create a lasting bond, she probably is only talking to me on orders from her father and I have no interest in playing along with his schemes.

After we parting, nothing special occurs for the rest of the party and after all the guests leave, the most important day of my life may finally begin.

By the will of the stars, Alabaster von Graad may be reborn as an conductor and wield their power in order to reach greater heights.              

            

2