Prologue-14-Putting the new power to the test
68 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Each conductor has a unique nexus inside their mind, and as a result their powers can express a certain particularity when used.

Some can express more power in return for less control or a backlash, others have a greater affinity for a single aspect of their power. The biggest example of such a case being pyrokinects and cryokinects, although their power is based on the same principle of increasing or decreasing the speed of wich the molecules vibrate in order to create heat or cold, most are much more skilled at doing one or the other.

Mutant is a classification that encompasses those that their powers rather than having a minor difference in their output compared to others, instead inherit completely new abilities that others that have the same power does not have access to.

Though being a mutant is not always a good thing, even if you are gifted with a unique power, having a mutation also brings negatives, and most times those negatives make so that mutants are not any stronger than the common conductors. Generally in exchange for a new power the original one becomes weaker. 

After the preliminary test that the two performed, Alabaster is now capable of confirming the properties of his power so far:

-The strength of the enhancement and the output of the power were not affected negatively, wich caused Alabaster both surprise and relief.

-As far as he is aware of he didn't suffer any backlash despite spending the whole afternoon constantly using his power until his energy was spent. But he will stay vigilant since the effect of the backlash is not always obvious, and many have died due to being careless and only noticing it when it was too late.

-His mutation allows him to instantly learn and be able to perfectly copy any activity or skill that the person that is under his power performs whilst its active as long as he has the physical capability to do so.

-This power seems to only record the person movements and brain inputs and does not require to read memories or surface thoughts to work, which Beatrice was very thankful for, she would be in a complicated situation otherwise since she already promised to help him use his powers. 

-This extra power has risen the hypothesis that since he is receiving direct feedback from her when acquiring knowledge, than the connection that he creates rather than being a one way street like all other augumenters, his connection is a both way street wich the augumenter also receives something in return for the aid he provides, which leaves the possibility open for him being capable of receiving other kinds of inputs or even augmenting himself at the cost of others.

On the whole, it seems as if his powers are objectively superior to all other of its kind, but he is still weary of a hidden backlash that he isn't aware of showing itself at the most inopportune moment and causing him a lot of danger.

After an afternoon of incessant testing, the two decide to call it a day and stop the testing there so that poor Beatrice which was sleep deprived could get in some rest.

Over the following days Alabaster would ask guards and other staff to help him test his powers, his parents knew him too well and it would be suspicious for him to not be trying out his new power, but he only used it as a way to test the quantity of people and length in wich he could keep his powers going for, but it was mainly used as a smoke screen for the real experiments that he was performing alongside Beatrice.

But he was able to copy many skills from the guards and servants although most of the things he learned were not very useful but he was capable of discovering one of the limitations of this ability:

Although he can perfectly copy a skill shortly after it being used, if he wishes to truly learn the skill he would still need some practice, otherwise the information would be quickly forgotten, so his cheat-like ability still requires him to put in some effort.  

His parents didn't complain or made too many inquiries about his power, his father must have already had contact with augumenters while in the army and although not very knowledgeable in the subject, he must have a good impression of them considering how good his mood has been. And it makes some sense, while other conductors are raised in isolation and develop a superiority complex, the augumenters that are raised in a ambient of unity in the military, treat the normal humans with much more respect which has given his father a much better impression than other conductors. Meanwhile his mother is just glad that he got a relatively safe power that is very unlikely to backfire on him or cause destruction in their territory.

Meanwhile Beatrice that has been the one to witness the full might of his power couldn't help but be very jealous when she found out that his power is unique and lacks any downsides, just when she managed to close the distance using the two years she had her power ahead of him, it seemed that with a unique ability and the power to learn things basically instantly, his power will soar from now onwards. But it didn't affect her too much since the difference in sheer talent between the two is something that she is already used to.

But Beatrice has completely overlooked her own qualifications, she may not know but she possesses a enormous talent as a alchemist.

When she awakened her powers, all her physical attributes: affinity, control, capacity and constitution where all average at best, with the constitution of her circuits being quite common. But what she has in her favor is her mentality wich is perfect for alchemy and potioneering.

Being able to deal with failure? She has a very stubborn mentality, and she is used to having to repeatedly experience failure while Alabaster can do things easily thanks to his superior learning ability, so be 100, 1.000 or even 100.000 attempts she will be able to persevere while others would give up.

Having to blindly conduct experiments without any aid until finally figuring out the correct combination? She never had a instructor or master ever since she got the power so getting things done via good old trial and error was her main method, so compared to others which have their mentality become rigid due to only following their master's instructions and not experimenting themselves she will have a much easier time later on.

Her overall personality and other emotional aspects? She also exceeds in this area, her upbringing and training as an attendant has made her disciplined and humble which will help her greatly in the conductor circles, she also is very hardworking and has a very big sense of responsibility which will make much harder for her to be tempted or be consumed by a obsession like many others.

There is a old saying that perfectly explains it: 'some are born blessed by the stars, others are born common and ordinary but both are overshadowed by those who had risen from the bottom and made their own talent. When one knows who knows powerlessness is capable of grasping unto a opportunity they created with their own hardwork they will be the ones to soar the highest'.

She may not possess a talent that others would recognize, causing her to be ignored by the member of the order when she came to recruit Alabaster, but she is certainly is already on a path that if she can follow to the end will lead her to becoming a alchemist that shall be immortalized in history. After all, inborn talent is useless if you do not possess the right mindset and could easily be led astray from the path.

So his days continued, he would again return to his normal routine with his usual physical training, studying and reading, but now he would add the training of his power by enhancing guards and making them fight or perform various complicated tasks while he would take note of the number and how long he could use his power, which was quite long considering that he had already performed three condensations on a roll and his energy has grown more condensed and pure, while also experimenting alongside Beatrice in secret.

He had no issue fitting both of them into his schedule since now learning swordsmanship and marksmanship was trivial, but in the case of marksmanship it was a activity he quite enjoyed, so he forsook swordsmanship much to the dismay of his father and uncle Leon, but the two simply accepted that he had become an adult and could make his own decisions. The mutual experiments with Beatrice meanwhile were done in the dead of knight, since it would consume the two's sleep time in order to do it they decided to only do it in specific days to avoid remaining various without sleep. With the two of them being conductors, skipping sleep a day or two wouldn't interfere in their routines considering their improved constitution.

After a while he decided to reveal a few secrets he has been keeping about his awakening to Beatrice. She has kept all other secrets he entrusted her with, and it would be a pain to continue the experiments while keeping her in the dark.

He informed her of the nature of his circuit which is something that among conductors is a symbol of complete trust, that made her feel very delighted since where not all lords who showed such trust towards their attendant, she meanwhile had already informed him of her common neither elastic nor rigid circuits two years ago when she found out, as a attendant she never kept any secrets from him, additionally he also informed her of the condensations that he performed during the awakening.

Obviously, Beatrice was not convinced after being told and even if she wouldn't refute his claims verbally it was very clear in her eyes that she thought that he was making it all up. But she was forced to believe it after he utilized a method to reveal someone's density of the circuit's pathways that he had learnt from Salasha's book that he was left with. The method Is pretty simple and if Salasha wasn't so eager to leave and had suffered a mental shock after finding out his power she could have easily found this out, but since she didn't this is something that he decided to keep to himself in order to avoid further attention, his attributes alone are attracting attention enough.  

She was left speechless, it simply didn't make any sense, she may not be the most well informed on the subject but a condensation is something that is the culmination of years of hard work and constant absorption of void energy in order to expand the pathways until finally reaching the limit and condensing it in order to be able to keep going forwards and attaining a stronger and purer energy.

But her surprise left as quickly as it came and the only thing she was thinking was: 'As expected of master, he truly can't be measured by common standerds' She had already become completely numb towards this kinds of situations long ago.  

But he still kept silent in regards to the visions he experienced for a few reasons.

First: he wasn't sure of the nature of the visions, even if he suspects that it has something to do with him having been blessed by the stars on his birth, he wasn't sure if it was something good or bad

Second: he didn't know if there was any consequence for spreading this information or if it could put those that were informed in danger, so he preferred it to be known only by his parents and those that present on his birth.

Third: he saw no necessity, different from the other information it wouldn't affect their experiments and as a now fully fledged noble being capable of keeping a few secrets and having a few secret cards was necessary so unless it was needed he wouldn't go around revealing all his secrets.

With this out of the way, Beatrice could stop restraining herself and has started to use him to test stronger potions since potions made by a 0 condensation alchemist would never kill a 3 condensation conductor, usually all the potions he was given were already tested on herself but now it was unnecessary so she was giving him harmful  potions that could kill a 1 condensation conductor easily and it would not even cause him discomfort, that has allowed her progress to soar and he could push the capabilities of his power to the limit, easily showing how much of a leap in strength a conductor that underwent 3 condensations would experience. 

When the two energies were in contact with each other, Alabaster's would completely dominate her's, and from all the testing he had previously made, even with his pathways being still very narrow after being condensed he could simultaneously enhance many squads to a certain extent for about three hours although the only thing stopping him from going to higher numbers is that the feedback would become overwhelming, showing a possible flaw in his power.

Just like that, he would continue developing his powers while not neglecting any other aspects, many would immerse themselves in their power and would ignore everything else, but he couldn't, he had great ambitions after all.

He never forgot that besides a conductor, he was still a noble and had a duty towards the territory and it's people.       

   

2