Prologue-20-Next stage
56 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After finally leaving the narrow and dark corridors a few minutes later, he found himself in a enormous chamber that he assumed to be their main headquarters. The ceiling was very high compared to the rest of the tunnels and within this open space he found many structures made from wood, sheet metal, and abandoned train carts.

The place was very well lit compared to where he was previously and even looked livable to some extent, but that was not what caught his attention. The most eye-catching thing about this place is how abandoned it was, there was no patrols or sounds coming from inside of the buildings, it is like they all just packed up and left. Which didn't really surprise Alabaster after he thought a bit about it, these militia would never stand and fight if they thought they were at a disadvantage and staying somewhere were they couldn't retreat would spell certain death for them. 

The ones that escaped and were being chased by him must have warned all of the militiamen standing in this room that he was coming and they used the time it took for him to deal with the enemies in the tunnel and traverse the maze-like structure in order to pack up their things and make their escape.

And it didn't bother Alabaster in the slightest as he already expected some enemies to slip past him and make their escape. He decided then to search the structure just to make sure that the enemies didn't left anyone behind in hiding like they did last time. After confirming that the whole area was clear he didn't try to pursue his fleeing enemies and just waited for his preparations to pay off. 

Meanwhile in another place...

Several militiamen could be seen running trough the tunnels and despite the darkness that shrouded the place, they flawlessly navigated the terrain using their knowledge of the tunnel's layout. Though the lack of lighting would prove to be their downfall very soon.

Reaching an intersection on their path, they divided themselves into three groups. The first made their way to the warehouse in order to get some better equipment to fight back, the second group gone through the tunnel escape route and the last group went towards the subway entrance. This move was made in order to trow their pursuer off their tracks and lessen the chances of all of them being caught at the same time.

But despite their own precautions, they weren't aware that they have already fallen for a trap the moment they decided to flee the scene. 

The first group that split off ended up stumbling upon traps as soon as they tried to enter the armory and were blown to bits as they were passing through the entrance.

The group that split off towards the subway entrance suffered from a similar fate as they neared the surface.

The third group that took the passage through the tunnels on the other hand had to be dealt with a bit more creatively, since the tunnel was simply too wide for him to completely rig it with explosives he decided to instead of trying to directly blow them up he would plant his limited explosives along the ceiling in order to cause a colapse.

He got this idea after seeing the numerous areas which are collapsed along the tunnels that showed him that as long as he got rid of the old and weakened support structures he could completely destroy a section of the subway.

The three traps were made taking into consideration that enemies might try to split off into many directions so they were made to take more or less the same time to reach each one, that meant that the explosions occurred in close proximity to each other, so the enemies were only made aware of the existence of the traps when it was already too late.

And just like that the last group of enemies were dispatched unceremoniously and with very little effort.

Back to Alabaster... 

The sound of three explosions in quick succession signaled him that his traps have been activated and the enemies behaved just like he expected.

But he didn't allow himself to relax just yet as until the message that signaled the end of the scenario was recieved it wasn't over. 

There was also the possibility of one of his enemies having survived the explosion or there being one enemy on the surface that he missed.

After hearing the sounds of explosion, he waited for a few seconds but the message still hasn't been recieved so he prepared to head towards the entrance and finish off the survivors.

But before he could go very far a holographic screen appeared in front of him.

[Search and destroy: eliminate all the hostiles (complete)]

[Please await a moment, your evaluation will be given shortly]

As he saw this message, he finally allowed himself to relax and take a short brake.

After thinking briefly about the reason for the delay between the explosions and the message being received, he figured that at least one of the enemies may have survived the initial explosion, although in critical condition, which made him take longer to die than the rest.

[Revealing the performance results...]

[Combat evaluation: Strategic/Aggressive/Resourceful-Rating:S(S+)

[Time evaluation: 6:04:32:42-Rating:A+(S)]

[Difficulty bonus: all previous evaluations will increase by 1 tier]

[The next scenario will comence shortly, use this time to rest]

[May the light of the stars shine upon your path]

Hearing the evaluation made neither happy nor sad, considering that the combination of the enemies and terrain was easily the worst it could have been for him his performance was very impressive. And the time it took was easily justified by how hard it was to find them, so getting an S rating despite all that was something to be proud of.

After sitting on the ground for a short time, his surroundings were suddenly filled with darkness, despite this he remained completely calm and unbothered throughout the whole time and after a few seconds the lights were turned on once again to show him to be in a completely different place.

He was in the middle of an enormous coliseum, although the place was completely deserted with not a single sign of life in sight, he was still very weary since he knew that it wouldn't last much longer.

Then, a familiar holographic message appeared in front of him to inform him what was his objective.

[Second stage is commencing] 

[Last man standing: Ensure you're the last person remaining in the area]

[Enemy type: Brigands]

[Environmental hazards: none]

[Enemies remaining: 100/100] 

After quickly reading the message, he dismissed the panel and readied himself for the enemies to come.

Brigands differentiate themselves from other enemy archetypes with their variety and unpredictability, not only in regards to their equipment due to using whatever they can salvage from their enemies but also their skills since they could be from a variety of backgrounds ranging from exiled soldiers to street pickpockets.

Looking towards himself to find the equipment he was given, he was incapable of holding back a frown. His clothes this time, instead of a common military garb were a training robe, the kind that one would use when sparring or in a fighting competition, and that was already enough for him to deduce the kind of stage this was.

This was without a doubt a stage geared towards testing someone's close quarters combat capabilities, and judging from the absence of any form of weapons on him including the melee kind, he will have to use hand-to-hand combat in order to take out his enemies.

It's not that he isn't prepared to resort to close quarters combat whenever necessary, as shown in the previous scenario but of all forms of combat it is one that he resorts to only when it's absolutely necessary. 

But he didn't have time to be annoyed for much longer as shortly after the message was sent, various lights started to appear throughout the arena.

As they vanished, his vision was then filled with the enemies that he was supposed to face.

They were as varied as they come, with the Brigands coming in all sorts of put together armor pieces and weapons, all of which being melee weapons ranging from knifes to maces. The only thing they having in common with each other being the very hostile look that they were all sending to him.

After seeing his opponents, Alabaster quickly starts to consider his options and calculate the odds of him coming out on top.

It's 1 against 100. Even if he is able to take down 100 enemies in a roll due to his enhanced stamina from training and being a conductor, taking down this number simultaneously will be several times harder even if you consider that only a dozen enemies can encircle him at any given time.

But his biggest disadvantage is by far his lack of weapons, all of his enemies have a melee weapon of some kind and that gives them a greater reach compared to him. That is without mentioning that his enemies only need to hit him once while he won't be able to eliminate his enemies in a single strike unless he gets a very good hit.

Overall his chances are not great, but as long as he fights smart and remains on guard he should be capable of getting trough this stage.

But the enemie's patience after a brief period of apprehension had finally worn out and the first few enemies have decided to charge and try to end this quickly.

The remaining enemies showed no signs of wanting to join in, they are probably letting the more rash and aggressive members go in first just to probe their opponent before committing to a full on assault.

Alabaster meanwhile was more worried about other matters, his position in the arena is somewhat close to the center which is not an ideal place for him to be, it would be much more advantageous to stand near the border in order to limit the number of enemies that can attack him at any given time.

Not to mention that it would protect his back, that since he can't see any attack coming from behind him, it would be vary hard for him to protect against the enemies that are directly on his back which would severely reduce his chances of winning.

So, as soon as he saw the enemies making their way towards him, he instead of waiting from them to come to him, he  immediately bolted towards the nearest border to him, completely ignoring the enemies that were charging towards him.

But there were still a few enemies between him and the location he wanted to reach.

And he was at the risk of in the case of him taking to long to dispatch of his opponents he would be sandwiched by his opponents and forced to fight in a disadvantageous position.

Despite knowing the risks, he charged onwards anyways since he was certain that as long as he reached the border, he would be much more likely to complete the scenario.            

  

    

   

 

    

      

    

  

  

0