Interlude: Draconic Dealings
96 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the small city of Eaglesville, the tent where this world-spanning adventure had begun little over twelve hours ago, had vanished. The tent was now located in the insanity-inducing void between universes, and within it sat Ben. 

Ben sat inside of the physics-defying tent and stared into a bowl with a curious expression on his face. The bowl was filled with surprisingly mundane water, but as Ben stared at it he was not staring at his reflection. 

The water was a medium through which Ben was using a powerful scrying ability and peering at a world in a universe vastly unlike that from which Andrew hailed. At the moment Andrew was busy having a conversation with Alma Madrigal, and Mirabel Madrigal, all while demonstrating a certain fondness for wheeling and dealing. 

Instead of actively and solely watching Andrew, Ben was watching various worlds of interest. One such world was named Elderia, and that world was an incredibly vibrant place. 

The world of Elderia was divvied up into four prominent continents each of which was inhabited by various civilizations and lorded over by powerful monsters, spirits, and gods. The continent of Andor was an utterly massive continent that was made up of two landmasses, Anduvia and Cendor. This super-continent was ruled over by humanoids and worshiped a powerful goddess who hated both magic and non-humanoid monsters. 

The continent closest to Andor was the dragon-governed continent of Ixtacotak, a mishmash of decently sized landmasses and somewhat smaller islands. This continent was primarily led by powerful dragons and their children. 

To the north of this continent lurked the icy continent of Kaldgrim, a wintery region populated by hardy humanoids and fierce monsters. This continent was inhabited by raiders similar in beliefs to the vikings of Earth’s “Middle-Ages”, and these raiders worshiped both power in general and various wintery entities. 

The final continent in this world was the strange land named Mizuchi. This land was inhabited by spirits, gods, and monsters who ruled over or at least significantly influenced villages, cities, and some kingdoms made up of weaker, younger humanoids. 

At the moment that Ben was watching this strange world, he saw a breathtaking event taking place. A dragon the size of a small celestial body appeared so vastly far from the planet that the beast was outside of the furthest reaches of the world’s atmosphere. The creature was gigantic, it was so incomprehensibly large that it dwarfed the size of Earth’s moon.

The dragon was still as he studied the world. Ben watched the cosmic beast, a creature on par with one of the dragon lord’s envisioned by Troy himself, and smiled as the beast began to slowly move. It beat its gigantic wings once, just once, and then disappeared as swiftly as it had appeared. 

This mysterious event would not be seen by the people of the planet, at least not physically, but it would be felt. The beating of the Ur-Wyrm’s wings were a propulsion mechanism by which the dragon had just caused a fascinating and much more important event; a localized phenomenon named a “Dragonfall”. 

A single shard had just been jettisoned from the dragon’s cosmic body. The shard was propelled with the force needed to slowly but surely carry it towards the planet. When the thing inevitably entered the atmosphere it began to generate a fiery corona, a blazing aura that would do nothing to the potent egg-like object as it began to draw closer and closer to the surface of the world. 

Under normal circumstances, or rather circumstances wherein Ben didn’t interfere, the massive scale would “hatch” when it hit the planet’s surface and would result in the birth of a kind of dragon known as a “Greater Dragon”. Greater Dragons were the closest things to gods, that weren't usually gods themselves, that this world had. Aside, of course, from actual and partial divinities. The very mightiest Greater Dragons could match some divinities! 

As Ben watched all of this he got a wicked idea. One that would enable his new favorite protagonist to grow greater still. 

He reached out across the formless astral void that separated various universes and even multiverses with ease. When he did, he found his protege in the midst of negotiating with the powerful matriarch of the Madrigal family. 

“Alma… I have come to offer you what you deserve. A happy ending.” Andrew uttered, as the inverse silhouette was beginning to solidify. Andrew felt Ben freeze time around him, and as Alma’s face was locked in a look of shock and nearly impossible joy Andrew’s facial expression distorted and became a potent reflection of his annoyance. 

“Ben, come on!” Andrew uttered, exasperatedly as he felt the power Ben exerted on the reality he resided in. Ben put his hands up in a sign of mock surrender even though Andrew couldn’t see him. 

“Hey relax! I see that you’re having fun in Encanto, and I won’t stop that I just want to see if you’re interested in going to a world where there are gods.” Ben asked, causing Andrew to pause and consider his words. 

The adventuring divinity fully stopped moving and he legitimately considered the words of the questionably-omnipotent entity who had befriended him. Andrew wanted to find and fight gods thanks to the potent effects of some of his mightiest essences, and the powers of some of the only Choose Your Own Adventures he had filled out to date. Defeating a god would do incredible things for Andrew, enabling him to grow greater still, even considering how powerful he was at the moment.

“I’m… I’m listening, Ben.” Andrew uttered, a few moments after he learned of the chance to find and defeat gods. 

“Heh… I knew I could count on that aspect of you, Andrew. I wish for you to send an avatar to the world of Elderia.” Ben explained, cryptically. Andrew internally activated his potent knowledge-based essences and his mental-palace immediately and significantly expanded as he gained an encyclopedic amount of knowledge of the world that Ben had alerted him too. 

His face was frozen as he began to process this knowledge. As he set about well and truly absorbing the knowledge of the world he began to slowly but surely smile. 

His active conscious filled with facts about the world of Elderia. It was filled with the knowledge of the dragonfalls, the name given to the event in which greater dragons were sent hurtling towards the planet by the distant and primordial Ur-Wyrm. And as he learned more and more it became easier and easier for him to yearn to visit the world. 

The world was filled with entities for him to bargain with, creatures whose souls he could acquire and whose ages he could feed upon to artificially become greater and greater. Deities resided there in numbers far vaster than he had anticipated, and they all had different domains and levels of power. He could go to the world, especially with the privileges that came with being the newest “Greater Dragon”, and easily wreck havoc while building the sort of society that he wanted to create. 

As he began to envision what he could do, a series of text boxes filled with words and images filled the part of his mind that was reserved for filling out both jump documents and also other important sorts of Choose Your Own Adventure style things. He began to laugh as he filled out these forms, and as he felt them strengthening a part of himself that he thought really didn’t need strengthening; his draconic powers. 

He silently filled out the forms, and in every case that he could he let his inner nature as a greedy individual take a firm hold of his decision-making process. He granted himself an array of fun powers that he previously hadn’t had, several of which were relatively unique to this world’s strange rules. 

As he was manipulating and filling out the forms Andrew as surprised when one of them, the form outlining the possible powers he could gain in this new world, suddenly fizzled out of existence for a moment and reappeared with a few more options. He studied the new options and was surprised when he saw that they included things unlike any he had seen in any of the dragon-essences or even the dragon-based Choose Your Own Adventure he had previously filled out. 

“These powers are… weird. Cool, but weird.” Andrew muttered, as he selected all of them to aid onto himself. They included things like the ability to plant his draconic teeth in the ground and divinely transform said teeth into warriors he could command, or to even modify non-dragons and give them draconic traits! Ben spoke up a second later, after hearing Andrew remark about the expanded list of powers the young man had suddenly gained. 

“Oh, those? That’s a gift from me to you. Those new abilities are the very rarest powers a Greater Dragon could have, ones only possessed by the very first Greater Dragon.” Ben explained, knowledge that matched what Andrew had known about the powers in the expanded list. 

At the very same that this was happening, the shard-egg that the Ur-Wyrm had sent hurtled towards Elderia began to inch closer and closer to the surface. The soul inside of the egg was snuffed out and the body it had been creating for itself was replaced with the nascent form of Andrew’s draconic avatar. 

The egg-shard itself grew tremendously in size as it hurtled towards the surface of the world. That was a consequence of Andrew’s choices differing from the entity that had originally occupied the egg. The original occupant was only going to be a large dragon, while Andrew had chosen to become a titanic one, a creature as large as a legendary mountain range caused the egg to take on an appropriate size to match such a vast embryo. 

The egg became a potent, building sized object as it sailed through the air. The powerful beast inside of the egg was a southern dragon the size of an office building, who’d immediately grow vaster still the second he popped out of his shell. 

The flaming asteroid became visible in the skies above the world’s surface as Andrew began to select some of the more interesting options that would color how he entered the world. These options included things like his initial destination, and the mighty shard-egg that contained his essence turned in mid-air and began to rocket towards a remote island in the vast collective of islands loosely known as Ixtacotak. 

The people watched the flaming asteroid began to feel various things as the potent cosmic object began to very obviously turn in the direction of the sole part of the world largely governed by dragons. 

The authorities of the world were attuned to the wills of the gods and they had access to knowledge that wasn’t known to their subjects. They understood the mechanisms of the dragonfall, and knew that the object in the sky wasn’t an ordinary shooting star or anything so boringly mundane. They could make inferences that their subjects couldn’t about the fact that the vast egg was hurtling so unnaturally towards Ixtacotak. 

The leaders of Ixtacotak began to cheer as they realized that this heralded the coming of a Greater Dragon who was intent on creating areas under the centralized control of dragons, while the various leaders of Mizuchi were worried for exactly the same reason. The leaders of Anduvia felt waves of sadness as they realized that this meant that the newest power-player in their world would be less likely to be their ally. 

The leaders of Cendor were curious to see what this meant for them, since aside from Anduvia, Ixtacotak was their closest neighbor. The leaders of Kaldgrim were neutral towards this development since they valued power and the presence of a newborn Greater Dragon, no matter where it arrived, meant that the world was about to change forever. 

Greater Dragons were forces of nature that were invariably much more active in the world than the gods were. Each of them had had unique effects on world history and had shaped entire continents in the past. They were power incarnate and their greatest followers were often unique entities who could ravage whole cities by themselves. 

As Andrew reached the final area of the metaphysical “document” he had to fill out he began to smile. This section was filled with “Companions”, people whose desires he could fulfill, “wishes” in the text of the document, and in exchange for granting their wishes he’d earn their loyalty and servitude. 

This section of the document was filled with dozens of companions. These companions were unique individuals, in some cases they were princes and nobility, in other cases they were heroes or villains of prodigious power, and in other cases they were merely bizarre existences who had fittingly unique desires. 

As Andrew’s asteroid sailed towards the ocean off the coast of the remote Ixtacoian island he was heading towards, he began to fulfill these wishes. In doing this he caused the people and creatures whose wishes he was fulfilling to vanish from their homes and reappear inside of a building in a strange island off of the coast of the continent of Ixtacotak. 

The creatures who appeared in the building were not just humans, nor were they solely humanoids. In one case a massive dinosaur not far from what an Earth human would say was a Tyrannosaurus Rex appeared in the building! 

One astoundingly unique example of a creature who appeared on the remote island did not even appear inside of the building, but actually outside of it. The creature was named Vanrir and it was a mighty lupine beast, the size of a small building in and of itself. The mighty entity was the son of a demigod named The Everwolf, and the potent beast was a symbol of power and nature’s might given flesh and a soul. Its eyes burned with intelligence, and it was the first of the companions of the newly summoned dragon to realize what was occurring. 

The beast had only been in his new environment, a tropical jungle not far from the coast of the island, for a few moments when it looked up to the sky in an effort to determine where it was. As soon as it looked to the size it saw the gigantic shard-egg hurtling towards the ocean. The wolf howled in delight as it realized that its wish had been granted! 

The wolf immediately took off towards the distant beach where it could watch the arrival of its new friend. That was not due to a compulsion on the part of the Greater Dragon to instill loyalty, the wolf was simply excited to meet its new friend because gaining a friend was itself the wish of the vast beast. Its excited footfalls caused a cacophony of noise as it dashed towards the coast of its new home and towards where the gargantuan egg would crash. 

When the wolf reached the town where the building that was housing the dragon’s other companions were located its footfalls were so vastly loud that they caused the strangers in the building to go outside and see both the beast and the egg that it was following. The companions of the dragon saw the egg and felt incredible joy as something about it magically filled them with powerful emotions. 

None of the companions were as individually powerful as Vanrir and so none of them could resist the potent energies of the dragon or even its egg, and so they felt an irresistible compulsion to go to the coast. Every single one of them obeyed this compulsion, and so the town where the building had long existed was able to witness a diverse crowd of those whose wishes had been granted march peacefully, for several minutes, to the sea, even though some of the people in the crowd were infamous serial killers or other belligerent individuals. 

The town was built on the coast, so it only took a few minutes for the large crowd to reach the beach. None of them, not even those members of the crowd who could breathe underwater or had even been borne underwater actually entered the ocean. This was itself also due to the powerful compulsions the egg-shard was emanating into them, compelling them to be close to the location where the egg-shard would land but not too close that they’d be hurt. 

They watched as the egg-shard drew closer and closer to the ocean, even after it had long sailed completely overhead their current location. It eventually crashed into the sea and caused distant but tremendous waves to shoot up from its impact point in every direction. The gigantic waves sonically surged towards them, but when they began to draw close to the dragon’s companions they were suddenly and powerfully drained of their water. 

No one, aside from Andrew and Ben, knew this at the time but this supernatural draining of the ocean was due to Andrew’s arcane influence. Even in the egg-shard as it sunk beneath the waves Andrew had powerful abilities and he didn’t want the waves he caused to hurt anyone. Even waves sent in other directions by the crash-landing of his egg-shard were arcanely nullified before they could hurt anyone. 

The egg-shard sunk deep beneath the waves. The thing had been moving so fast that even its impact with the water had not done much to slow it down, but when it hit the water it did crack. This crack allowed the physical form of the mind-boggingly gigantic dragon to begin to come out. 

This process took a few seconds, during which time the egg kept moving. That was a good thing for the people of Ixtacotek. Even the smallest fragment of Andrew’s newest form was utterly gigantic, large enough to displace even more water and send far vaster waves towards the coast of Ixtacotek and the closest islands. Andrew’s immediate intervention, in the form of both water-bending and powerful spell-use caused these waves to vanish almost as quickly as they appeared, which allowed his newest companions to see the top of his draconic head for the first time. 

Andrew’s new form was that of a dragon comparable in size to a vast mountain range. His head was larger than the entire town that his companions had appeared in, and the space between his enormous eyes was so vast entire city blocks could fit between them. 

He had chosen to be a purple dragon, primarily because that was the color that many American humans associated with royalty. As his companions, and the small crowd of locals who had lived in the remote community before the events of today, gathered to watch his emergence from his vast egg he finished tearing himself free from the egg-shard. In doing this he was able to manifest fully in the world of Elderia. 

His form instantly grew even vaster, his feet shooting to the bottom of the continental slope on which he stood. His head instantly shot up high enough that only his neck could be seen by those in his retinue who weren’t demigods or their children. Fortunately, he was only this sanity-bendingly vast for a few moments, as the god nearly instantly cast the “Alter Size” spell on himself. 

The instant that he cast the spell he shrunk himself down to a size that was still large enough for his head to be visible over the water of the ocean in which he resided, but only just so. A second later he began to silently approach the coast, and as he did he studied the diverse crowd awaiting him. He focused on his companions and counted them out. There were sixty-three individuals who were awaiting him! 

He could see everything from a number of demons to an elder vampire, to even another true dragon, a goddess, and a pair of partial divinities! The individuals themselves all excitedly watched him, their own senses magnified by the potent power he wielded and had infused them all with, in the wake of merely granting them their wishes. 

It took the dragon a few moments to cross the vast distance that separated him from his new companions. When he was standing in front of them he continued to stay in the water, enjoying the sensation of the ocean water on his skin. He towered over even the largest one of the gathered individuals, Vanrir, and when he smiled at the crowd it revealed row upon row of razor-sharp teeth. 

His smile was met with joyous smiles from his new companions and the ecstatic cheering of the people actually native to the small community he had visited. As the sun began to set behind him, it symbolized the end of the age of the fifth dragonfall and marked the beginning of the age of the sixth dragonfall, an age that would forever change the world of Elderia. 

At the very same time the air around the mighty dragon’s head began to distort and fill with the silhouettes of three mighty figures; Almalexia and the two dragons that Andrew was the mighty master of. He was bringing them to a new world, a world where he speculated they might do better than on Earth. 

While he was here doing this, he felt time begin to flow in Encanto and on Earth once more, causing him to smile even more widely than he had been previously.

3