Chapter 24: Ambitions
108 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The quiet divinity watched as a portal appeared in front of him. The portal manifested in the form of a swirling whirlpool of rainbow colored energy that led to where the young man wanted to go. 

The figure gazed into the portal, silently, for a moment. As he did that, the portal’s interior began to change and show him where he’d be teleporting to. The man was inside of his apartment and he planned to offer hope to some of the people who had been less lucky than he had been. 

An array of strange sensory stimuli began to flood his apartment. The sounds of distant traffic, of quiet bickering, and of the soft crackle of a tiny fire filled the living room of the god. The smells of unwashed bodies, clothes, and of distant traffic filled the tiny room. The things were extra unpleasant to the newborn godling, but as he sensed them he felt extra grateful to the random omnipotent being who had given him his new abilities.

As Andrew studied the world that was awaiting him on the other side of the portal he readied himself for what he was about to do. His limitless mind was planning countless schemes as he gazed into the manifestation of the divine power flowing through him. The sight he was staring at was much grimmer than even the place he had lived in until now, and as he stared longer and longer he realized that he was doing something good here. 

He allowed his potent mind to fill with countless ideas and plans for the future. His mind was trillions of times faster than that of a mundane human, and he was an existence on a scale that far exceeded any human who had ever lived or even visited his homeworld. 

When he felt ready the quiet figure stepped through the portal and appeared at the outskirts of an encampment for the homeless. As he did he closed the portal behind him. The arcane tool he had just used was invisible, and at the moment so was he. 

The greenhorn god took a beat to study the encampment. As he glanced at various individuals spread throughout it he felt his mind palace fill with information on them. Since he was a god of afterlives, judgment, and other relevant domains, he possessed an incredibly powerful judgment based ability that filled his keen mind with knowledge of every single good or bad choice someone had made, and that alone was absurdly powerful in the context of what he was doing.

Andrew wanted to begin the religion that would be devoted to him by uplifting those who were down on their luck. He wanted to be a benevolent god who utilized his powers and knowledge to help people. His goal was to uplift the humans who lived on the world of his birth. And he was beginning to actively pursue that goal here and now. 

The silent god scanned both his surroundings and the new contents of his mind palace. He quickly gained awareness of the complex lives led by the people who had ended up in this encampment. As he did he began to work on selecting which one of the various people would be the very first he ended up approaching. 


Armed with the power of domains like justice, judgment, both truth and deception, and a litany of other such considerable things all I needed was a second to glance at someone and I’d be able to learn a lot about them. That knowledge filled me as I glanced at the assortment of people who had ended up here. 

My mind filled with memories, thoughts, secrets, and feelings as I gazed at the men, women, and children forgotten by society. Very few of the thoughts, memories, secrets, and feelings that now filled my mind palace were actually mine. 

My eyes were… almost all seeing as I continued to contemplate which of the people here I would approach first. I refused to be rushed as I made what I knew would be a tremendously important decision. 

A range of people were here, from people who had ended up homeless due to drugs, to some who statistically never stood a chance at managing to make it on their own. Some of them had experienced homelessness as youths and ended up being given up on by friends, family, and agents of systems designed to mitigate the rampant crisis of homelessness. 

As I studied them I was consciously reminded of just how close to ending up homeless I had been throughout my life. Until now I had only been living day-to-day within inches of disaster and financial catastrophe. But now I had power… I had the sort of power that cult leaders fantasized about having. I needed to use that power. 

I needed to use it responsibly, but also bravely, to make life better for everyone. I had the wisdom of beings like the Emperor of Mankind, but more than that I also possessed basic compassion and empathy which filled me with a desire to actually make life better for others. 

I had ambitions, but I also had morals. I wanted to unify and uplift mankind, ethically. What I wanted was… challenging, but with my array of powers I knew that it was possible for me to achieve my goals so long as I took my time and showcased that I deserved to be followed. If I wanted to be worshiped and to support those who chose to follow me I’d need to earn their devotion and adoration.

The more I studied the crowd the more conclusions I began to come to. Each of those very same conclusions led me to believe that maybe my initial intended approach of appearing to people individually was wrong. 

I had come to the decision to approach people on their own for reasons that I initially felt made sense. I thought that speaking to people individually would have been better than approaching them as a group, but my enhanced brain was teeming with potent knowledge that suggested to me that that approach would have been flawed. 

It would have been inefficient, and if I individually approached people they might attempt to talk themselves into disbelief. It was clearly better for me to do this to all of the residents of the homeless encampment at once. 

I took a deep breath and readied myself. What I was about to do was something that I knew I couldn’t really undo. 

In theory, I could feign undoing what I was about to do. If I wanted to I could slay those who were about to see me or to witness my self-unveiling otherwise, but once I showed the world these powers I was opening a door I couldn’t close. 

And yet… thanks to my advanced cognitive abilities I could easily deduce that for me to achieve my goals of unifying the world and uplifting humanity I needed to be honest with those I sought to lead. Honesty, in my case, was the best policy. If I wanted to be a leader I needed to take what had been given to me by the essences I drank and use these abilities for the good of all of mankind. 

I closed my eyes, put on a serene mask with the help of the essence of the manipulator, and with a thought undid my psionically powered invisibility. 


The mighty god undid his invisibility with the same level of effort and mental strain that a mundane human from the Earth of his birth might use to put her thumb against her phone’s home button and unlock the device. And when he appeared on the edges of the small homemade shelter for the homeless population of the city Andrew had chosen as his home the resulting popping noise he made when he undid his invisibility caused the inhabitants of the camp to gaze at him. 

The figure standing before them was a supernatural embodiment of beauty. He possessed a supernatural level of ambient masculine beauty that artists envisioned when they pictured knights or other regal warriors. His very presence was itself enough to induce awe, and some of the inhabitants of the camp were so immediately enthralled by him that their eyes were stuck on him and their mouths were agape. 

His hair was comparable to actual gold and shone in the light of the late morning sun. The look on his face was one of idle charm and innate charisma, a disarming and joyful smile was on his face, and he somehow seemed perpetually unbothered by things. He was perfectly at ease in this situation, and he was keenly aware of the effect his blatantly supernatural beauty had on the inhabitants of the makeshift shelter. 

The god gently extended his hands forward and smiled lovingly at the small group situated throughout the encampment. They continued to stare, stunned and enchanted by the handsome masculinity of the benevolent figure who had come to offer them the opportunity to become more than they had been allowed to be. 

“Hello.” The god almost whispered, the smile on his face somehow growing even more beautiful as he felt his body changing. It was at this point that the quiet deity activated a mighty power known as “Mirror Juvenile”. 

Andrew was unwilling to mess with minds themselves, at least in ways that actually infringed upon free will. His hesitancy didn’t apply to things like this. At this very moment, Andrew was utilizing the power of mirror juvenile to subtly alter the perceptions of the inhabitants of the encampment he had come to turn into his worshippers. 

Some of the more religious members of the encampment heard things that touched on their memories of church, such as distant hymnal music, while others smelled the gentlest traces of their parent’s most delicious home-cooked meals. 

The figures all stood tall before the stranger who had uttered a single word. And yet as they stared at him he silently willed the powerful, tricky sensory information to escalate in power and volume. The distant noises of church choirs grew in volume, and the smells of homemade baked goods filled nostrils. 

The god sighed and began to release a gentle glow that crept out of his skin and began to seep into his surroundings. The light was a powerful force of healing, purifying, and otherwise positive energies that soothed those it touched. The light was beautiful, and those who saw it begin to radiate out of the divinity were filled with a powerful compulsion to walk into it. 

This light was his light, and it took every ounce of willpower the humans in his presence possessed to stay composed in the sight of it. The light itself also messed with the senses of those who stood close to it, and they felt powerful portions of their minds urging them to walk into the light and rejoice in the presence of the stranger who had graced their shelter with his presence. 

The god sighed gently when none of them stepped into his light, but he understood their reluctance. He knew that to them he was just a stranger. Fortunately for everyone involved, Andrew was an understanding divinity and not an arrogant one. He did not scream at them to worship him or even proclaim that he was their friend. Instead, he took a different approach to introducing himself.

“Hello. My name is Andrew, and I have come here to give you all a new lease on life. Before you speak, allow me to save you some time and state that all it takes for you to be cured is to walk into the soft light I am emanating.” He said, speaking with superhuman confidence and conviction. 

He flashed them the sort of winning smile one might have associated with Captain America or another such “Boy-Scout” type superhero. His gentle voice was steadily wearing down the wills of those who heard him, and he was intent on getting his first worshipers to willingly walk into the light he generated. He did not want to pressure anyone in this, and he was willing to talk to them for however long he’d need to get them to do things his way. 

In moments like this, the ambitious deity was grateful for essences that helped him masterfully wield his innate charisma, He continued to flash his charming smile while readying himself to begin some personal pitches to the people of the encampment as necessary.

5