All Good Things
241 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

AUTHOR NOTE:

FOREWARNING - I WILL BE MAKING A POV CHANGE FROM 3RD TO 1ST FROM CHAPTER 2 ON. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR READING. I APPRECIATE ANY AND ALL FEEDBACK AND KINDLY ASK FOR REVIEWS. I HOPE TO CONTINUE GROWING AND WRITING.

 

CHAPTER ONE: ALL GOOD THINGS

Every computer program, every chip, shit, even the cells in the human body are given a stored set of codes. A predetermined set of instructions meant to guide said creation in its purpose, whatever that may be. A destined path set before them. There’s just one tiny problem with that whole set-up. What the fuck is someone supposed to do when they don’t even know what the hell that purpose is? Davu maneuvered through the crowd flooding the inner-city streets. He lifted his head, glancing out from under his black hood at the Destros that meandered past. Cybernetic parts glistened in the night. Some replaced entire limbs. Others were more subtle, opting for small piercings that doubled as Nano enhancers. One thing that remained the same was the metal life-bands wrapped around their wrist. Some bands were activated, illuminating their faces with translucent light from the holographic digital interfaces. Before his family tragedy happened, Davu used to enjoy playing I Spy with his younger brother. They’d each pick a random stranger. Hoping to guess the job designation they had won in the monthly employment lottery. Doing their best to peek at the screens of those passing by to see who had gotten the closest answer.

 These days, Davu kept his head low. Hoping to finish the week off on a quiet note. It was a Wednesday, middle of the week, which meant Hounds would be everywhere. The government’s Hounds were always watching. Davu didn’t care for the uniformed shit-bags, but nobody did. It wasn’t hard to hate an agent of the state when the heel of their boot was forcing an impression of your face into the pavement. Davu’s eyes shifted about. Bright neon holograms performed spectacles with government slogans that said ‘Obtain your purpose, Live your purpose!’ hovering in place as cars flew overhead. Davu continued forward in the downpour that lasted hours in the city of skyscrapers. I should stop by Mama Yang’s and grab some Chinese. Not much left in the fridge since I had to buy that new software upgrade. The faster processing speed is sick. I bet I’ll be able to access some super classified files now. Davu smirked, separating from the main street and on to the side road that ran between buildings to his favorite oriental restaurant. He’d spent the past few years scraping by whatever he could to survive. Survive. Yeah, that’s the right word, cause ain’t shit sweet living in the Destros districts.

 Davu took a left and then right, coming up to one of the infamous high-rises that housed hundreds of families in single bedroom apartments. He picked up a wooden crate that he tossed near the ladder that dropped down from the fire escape hanging in the air that led up to the fourth floor. Davu used the crate as a step stool to jump onto the first and then the next to the floor the restaurant operated out of the apartment. Jumping from one ladder to the next. I wish these things weren’t so god damn high. What’s a brother gotta do to get a hover-stool around here? Davu thought, struggling to pull himself up onto the final platform outside Mama Yang’s. Once up, he took a knee as he beat his fist against the hard surface of the wall, all the while panting from exertion. 

“Ayo! It’s Davu. Let me get a large chicken fried-rice and a jug of tea, mama.” Davu said.

He waited there, listening to the pop and sizzle of the wok as it cooked his food. He could hear shouts from inside, even in the rain, as those inside worked on his order. Davu watched the window, staring at the red curtains with Chinese characters embroidered into them. He heard the shuffling of feet as a shadow crept up on the blinds of the window. Metal clicked against metal as the person inside unlatched the window, opening to reveal the old woman that ran the restaurant.

“That’ll be twenty credits, same as usual, Davu.” The old woman said, smiling while she raised up a scanner module in her hand with his food wrapped in a plastic bag in the other.

“How’s the family, mama?” Davu asked, drawing back the top of his black hoodie as he raised his arm band to the scanner.

A light blue interface flashed up from the small glass bead in the middle of his band. Denoting his height, weight, race, class and more in the columns of his bio. 

“They’ve been well. Timothy was able to get a good job designation from the employment roulette this month. Civil engineer, he’s finally a Citizen now. I just knew all those night courses would help. He’ll finally be able to move out. He might even have enough to help us out with our debt.” Mama Yang said. 

In the United Northern Foundation, the employment roulettes were God while the class designations were either blessings or curses. Those that performed well in their general studies alongside a higher assessment on the bio-scans were placed into higher seeds. On their eighteenth birthday, they submitted those scores into the pot where they had a better shot at winning a lucrative career designation. Those that didn’t do so well were stuck with the lower-paying manual labor. 

“That’s great to hear, Mama Yang. Tell Tim I said congratulations and big ups.” Davu laughed, still kneeling as he received his food.

“Big ups? You youngins and your slang.” Mama Yang chuckled. “Oh that reminds me, isn’t your eighteenth birthday coming up next month Davu? Have you taken your exams yet to submit for the roulette?”

Davu jumped. Shit. Almost forgot about that. I’ll have to check when my exam date is. I should at least give it my best shot for mama duke’s sake.

“Nah Mama, but I got until the end of the month before the roulette kicks off. Besides, I’m sure I’ll get something decent.” Decent enough for an orphan. Davu thought, but didn’t say. “Either way, thanks again, Mama Yang. See you later.”

“Bye Davu. Make sure you take care of yourself. I’m sure your parents would be proud of you.” Mama Yang said.

Davu gave the gentle old woman a last wave before working his way down onto the lower levels. 

###

Davu made it to his building, taking the stairs up. His building’s elevator never worked, but he enjoyed the cardio. Davu wasn’t the smartest in his opinion he was just lucky enough to get his father’s athleticism. He walked up to his apartment door. Davu raised up on his toes to get eye level with his door’s retinal scanner. A brief light flashed into his eye before his door slid open. Davu kicked off his black sport boots, passing by a small futon that doubled as a bed and couch to open up his window. He crawled outside onto the fire escape, using it as a balcony to sit outside as he watched the storm pass over. Let’s take a look at my schedule. Hmm, work from zero to seven hundred until sixteen hundred this week. Gotta pick up some more rations at the end of the week. Wait, my exams are tomorrow? Davu sped back inside, booting up his computer sitting on his desk while a dozen monitors hummed to life. When everything turned on he moved to check his practice scores on each subject. Looking from top to bottom he noted his scores placed him between above average to average, with the one subject he truly excelled in being programming.

Davu wasn’t too worried about getting a plush job. He figured a respectable career that allowed him to take care of himself would be more than enough to tell his family next time he visited their graves. Davu raised his head. Staring up at the family photo pinned to the wall above his desk. He could see his likeness in both of their features. Davu had his mother’s broad nose, full lips, and dark skin while his standoffish features came from his father. To his dismay he lucked out on his height. Davu brought his fingers up to his face, lightly grazing the thickened scar tissue on his nose he got the day they died. His folks were refugees of the Parasitus Wars. They fled the country of Yoru to get away from the horrors that had threatened to wipe out the world. Ironically, they couldn’t predict the atrocities the UNF would commit in the name of preservation. Not like they aren’t still happening, though. Davu mocked, tossing himself onto his futon. He watched clips the UNF released every now and then of the battles won against the Parasitus

Davu spectated the brutality between Northern troops and the infected humans and beasts that devoured much of the European continent like a plague. How they fought tooth and nail for every mile of cleansed land. He’d watch the UNF’s regular army fight alongside warriors known to the world as the Superiōrem. Super soldiers enhanced beyond civilian allowed regulations. Modified for combat made to be faster, stronger, and even smarter. Being a super soldier must be the good life. Money, power, and respect practically tossed at you. Davu fantasized about what he would do if he won the Superiōrem career designation. The cars he would drive, the women he’d lay up with and delicacies he’d try on a daily. Superiōrem were gods amongst humankind.

And all he had to do was kill a couple of monsters here and there. The things I’d do. Davu thought, hands tucked behind his head as he stared up at the ceiling, tossing a quick glance back at the family photo. If only shit could be so easy. Not like a dumbass like me could score in the top three percent of every subject. At best I might get in the upper half if I’m lucky. I just need to stay in my lane and be happy with what I can get. Davu sighed. He’d do anything to guarantee a good job slot. He began to set the alarm on his life band to wake him up for the exams. Let’s just hope I don’t get stuck with sanitization expert. That would be horrible. He drifted to sleep, exhausted from the day’s labor. Please, let me get something good.

###

Shit, shit, shit. I can still make it. I can still make it. I just have to sprint the entire way. Davu cursed himself. He’d overslept his alarm. Having no time to change he wore the same black hoodie and pants he fell asleep in. It was a couple miles to the testing site with just an hour until it began. Davu ran as hard as he could. Praying that he didn’t miss the exams. Holograms zoomed by. Minutes passed as the testing center came into sight. A timer rotated in the air around black pillars in front. Davu had to make it before the doors locked for the rest of the day. There were no second chances for Destros if they didn’t make it in time for the exams. They tossed them into the lowest seed. Davu looked up to see the doors seal shut. Fuck. Thirty seconds left! Come on, Davu, dig deep. Get that second wind. Davu willed himself forward. His legs burned with every step he took. Ten. Five. Three. Davu leapt forward, jumping through the smallest opening between the two large doors. Loud metal clanks echoed behind as they locked electronically behind him. Note to self: wake up on time, dumbass. Davu huffed. Raising up, the silver shimmering bodies of the Hounds that lined the halls ahead greeted him. Some scoffed, while others remained silent. Their usual facial gear was nowhere to be found. 

“Bloody Destros.” One of the Hounds sneered.

Keep your head low, Davu. No point getting yourself killed the day of the test. Davu thought. Dusting himself off as he followed the signs to the first testing area. Just do your best and everything will be alright. He comforted himself, though how much it actually worked he couldn’t be sure. Everything will be alright….hopefully.

###

Davu stood in the crowd waiting for the results to be posted. It was already late at night since the exams took eight hours from start to finish. The time for the exams was split in half between academics and physical assessment, where examiners ran examinees through an enormous machine that determined their body’s latent physical potential. Davu waited patiently as best as he could, biting his lip until it bled. His hands hung at his sides, pinching the seams of his pants. They need to hurry. The math portion wasn’t t hard, but I know history and literature fucked me over. Physics wasn’t too bad, I never struggle with science, and maybe they’ll give me extra points for the tech portion. Come on. Don’t doubt yourself, D. You got this. Davu thought, waiting for what felt like an eternity. He looked around at the eager faces that surrounded him. Everyone looks so sure of what they’ll get. No, calm down. You did everything you could to study. It’s above you now. Davu shut his eyelids, praying for a miracle. Hey sky daddy, I know I don’t pray a lot. But this exam is kind of a big deal. Please, if you love me as much as the Bible says you do, let me pass. There might be no one from my family left alive, but I don’t want to fail them, regardless. I’m not asking for much. Just something respectable. Something I can do more than just survive off of. Don’t let me embarrass myself in front of everyone. Loud gasps and the mutterings of disbelief came from all around as Davu opened his eyes. Peeking at the screens on the black pillars, he watched as names took up the empty spaces alongside their scores at the far side of the interface.

Davu forced his way ahead. Pushing people out of the way left and right while drawing closer and closer. The once blurry names were now clear as day. Coming face to face with the screen, his heart raced. Davu’s hands grew sweaty. And his breathing ragged, searching the holographic bulletin. Where is it? Where’s my name? It has to be in alphabetical order. Isn’t it? Davu questioned, scanning each last name that began with the letter ‘M,’ his eyes arriving near the bottom of the list. There it is, Montgomery. Come on, my class seed has to be here somewhere? Davu’s eyes glanced to the right. Landing on the section that decided his fate with but a single word. His heart that was previously beating out of his chest dropped to the bottom of his stomach. Davu shuddered, but not because of the wind or rain. Trembling as he read the word out loud.

“Pariah.” Davu muttered. 

His class designation. His sole purpose. A fate worse than death. Both a class and a job. A slave. Destined to toil away until he felt death’s sweet embrace in the abyss of the federation mines.

###

Davu didn’t head home. He couldn’t. Every bit of energy he had disappeared in a matter of moments as he trudged into an alleyway nearby. How could I have gotten Pariah? I know I answered every question. I should have at least gotten Citizen. It can’t be right. They must’ve made a mistake. Even if I didn’t do great on the other subjects, programming should’ve been my saving grace. I can hack practically anything! Shit. Davu kicked the dumpster that stood at the entrance. Kicking again and again, until finally a hole burst open, giving way to the rodents that festered inside.

“That’s disgusting.” Davu said, jumping back and falling on his back before shouting to himself. “Well, isn’t this just great? Not only am I a slave, I’m a wet and filthy one.” 

Davu propped himself on his elbows, looking back at the hole in the dumpster. He pondered his options. I could just take a dive into the city incinerator. It’d be a quicker death, that’s for sure. Davu mocked, pulling himself against the building wall. He lifted his life band. Turning on the Bio option as he read his information. Name: Davu Montgomery, five feet and nine inches. Designation, Pariah. Davu sat there, staring at the bright word typed in red. I asked the heavens for a miracle, but they piss on my head and call it rain. He fell into thought. Every pathway led to a death sentence. Between his thoughts and the heavy rain, Davu didn’t notice the man that had run into the alleyway from the opposing street.

“Leave me alone.” A man screamed, his hoarse voice overshadowed by the stomping of his boots. “What do you even want from me? Do you know who I am? I’m a Noblesse for god’s sake!”

Davu jerked, tucking in his feet quickly as he hid behind the dumpster as best as he could. He hoped the man along with whatever trouble he brought him would run right past.

“Hound 114 to Kennel, I have the target in sight. Moving to terminate and retrieve the package.” A hoarse voice said.

Fuck. He just had to have Hounds after him. How much worse can my luck get? Davu pulled himself even tighter to the outer shell of the dumpster. He turned off his life band, praying they hadn’t seen the bright light. 

“Please, I have no idea what you want from me. Please, please, just let me go. I promise whatever you think you’re looking for, I don’t have it.” The man begged, mere feet away from where Davu hid as he turned around to face the Hound that chased him.

Davu stared at the Noblesse while he begged for mercy. He saw the Noblesse’s extravagant clothes stitched together with finest fabrics and intricate designs. Davu watched the Noblesse cry, bringing his hands together in the form of a prayer, just before a crescendo of gunfire answered back. A bone-chilling gurgle froze Davu in place as he watched the Noblesse’s body fall backwards. Holy fuck…they really killed him. Davu tossed his hand over his mouth, in an attempt to silence himself. Too scared to move from his spot. Warm liquid trickled down his pants leg turning the puddle underneath him yellow. Fuck. Davu cursed while he listened to the sound of footsteps draw ever closer to where he was huddled. Please god, don’t let them find me. Davu sniffled. Tears and mucus ran down his hand. He heard the shuffling of clothes as the Hound searched the man’s coat pockets. Davu saw the silver gleam of the Hound’s metallic gloves peek out. Abrupt movements caused the Noblesse’s head to face Davu. His shocked expression made Davu’s blood run cold. Please don’t find me. Please don’t find me.

 

“Hound 114 to Kennel. The target has been terminated. I’ve searched the body for the package and found nothing. Permission to return to the Dog House?” The gritty voice asked. 

“If it’s not on him, don’t waste time sticking around. Search the route he took and his condo one more time, Hound 114.” A stern feminine voice answered back. 

“Roger. Hound 114 moving out.” 

Davu didn’t move even after hearing the orders. He remained in his spot for what went on for an eternity. Are they gone? He asked himself, terrified to poke his head out around the corner. The light clicking sound of metallic footsteps carried on until finally they left the alleyway. Davu continued to wait. Counting down the minutes in his mind. He has to be gone. Davu leaned out from behind the dumpster. An empty alleyway stared back. Shit. What was that about? He crawled out from his spot. Rough coughing and gurgling caught his attention. Shifting his sights back to the Noblesse he thought had died. His white skin was smooth as can be and his brown hair had a luster he couldn’t mistake on a

“Shit, you’re alive? Are you ok? That’s a dumbass question, obviously not. Why was a Hound chasing after you?” Davu asked, bear-crawling to the dying man.

“M-my b-b-band.” The Noblesse man pointed at his life band.

“What about it? Is there something on it, a secret file, a program, illegal tech?” Davu continued to ask questions.

“Ta-take it. It will he-help y—-.” The Noblesse’s eyes drifted close, unable to finish his last request.

Davu kneeled there, holding up the body in his arms. The ramifications of the Noblesse’s last words ran through his mind. He jumped through mental hoops trying to piece together what exactly to do next.

“Hold up, taking a Noblesse’s property is a crime punishable by death, Davu…but nobody has to know..and besides, he told me to, didn’t he? It should be fine, right?” Davu muttered, reaching for the band before snapping his hand back and then reaching again as he slowly slid it off.

Davu shifted the golden metallic band around in his hand. He examined the gaudy device for any distinct marks. Something. Anything that would give him a clue why the social elite would be chased and murdered in a back alley. Nothing. There’s nothing here. Davu grimaced, looking back at the corpse beside him. Just what did you do to piss them off, bruh? Davu lifted his left hand to scratch the back of his head. As his wrist passed by the golden band in his hand. A ray of light shot out from the bead on top of the Noblesses’s life band and into his own. Startling him, Davu fell backwards again. 

“The fuck was that?” Davu asked, the light from his life-band catching his attention.

From the bead of his own life-band came the holographic Bio interface that went from light blue to a deep red. Davu stared at the screen hovering over him, looking for any noticeable changes. Everything looks about the same. Height, check, name, check, race, still Yoru. Davu went down each row and column. Everything looked as it should be to him. He worked his way down to the last row. Class designation, Noblesse, chec—-. Davu jumped up. His former Pariah designation was gone. In its place was one of the highest class designations someone could get in the UNF. A designation that could change his life, for better or for worse. A miracle that came from the band of the dead man that lay beside him in a puddle of blood and water. The reason for his murder, a mystery. Davu sat there in the rain for a long while, before getting up. Davu looked back down at the body. Bending down to pick up the corpse as he threw it into the same dumpster he kicked a hole in before. Huffing and panting. I asked for a miracle and I got one. Just not the way I imagined it. But Mama always said never look a gift horse in the mouth. Davu glanced down each end of the alley. And in those few moments he spent making sure no one had seen what he’d done. He made a decision that would change everything he knew as he took off running. I’d rather spend the rest of my life looking back over my shoulders than spending it digging my own grave. Davu thought, his sights forward, mind set on meeting the one person he could trust with his life. 

4