Chapter 8 Preparations
123 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A few hours after we were dismissed, they summoned Huan Ping to the war council. I wasn't invited, and I didn't blame them. I wasn't part of their sect. They kept me in the loop. After all, I wasn't blowing smoke when I said I would fight with them.

When Huan Ping returned, he looked grave. "What happened?" I asked, in concern.

He shook his head. "Nothing to be concerned about. I'm just melancholy that this is happening at all. This was a peaceful sect. Now we're preparing for battle, maybe even a war."

I shook my head. "If Deming Fai doesn't leave you alone after this battle, I'll end him myself."

Huan patted him on the shoulder. "You're a good man. Come sit with me."

We sat under his pavilion. "The sect leader wants me to evaluate you. In a moment we'll fight so I can judge your skill. Don't hold back please."

I nodded my head. I'd probably lose but I'd give him my all. Beyond the pavilion was a grass lawn. It was perfect for a dual and that was probably what it was made for.

Huan drew his Jian and I drew mine. He said not to hold back so I didn't. I still wasn't completely sure about how fast and strong I was but now was just as good a time as any to test it out. Without warning, I shot forward and swung my sword. He blocked the attack but I noticed Huan's eyes wide as the strength of my attack sent him flying. Like in some old martial arts film he floated in the air and landed gracefully on his feet. I marveled for only a minute before I charged him again. I swung and stabbed my sword at all his vital points. He blocked and parried every blow and countered with his own.

I mostly held my own but he was clearly faster and a more seasoned swordsman than I. I calculated maybe a few minutes more before he'd disarm me. I had one last move that might work.

We crossed the blade and as I suspected; he disarmed me with a flourish of his Jian. I let him disarm me and ducked under his guard. He was fast and so was I. I gripped his jugular with my fingers and he held his blade to my neck. Stalemate. He'd slit my throat, and I'd literally rip his throat out. Huan smiled and nodded his head. He lowered his blade from my neck and I released my grip on his neck. We stepped back from each other.

"Your natural talent is very clear and you're obviously a master of your martial art. I'd say you've reached your peak. All that's left is to break through and you'll be in the Early Body Perfection stage. I can help you with your breakthrough."

I nodded and bowed respectfully to him. "Thank you. You wouldn't know how I might begin spiritual cultivation, would you?"

He rubbed his chin. "I do. However, it's a rule among the various sects not to teach Spiritual Cultivation to those who aren't disciples."

"Can I ask why?"

He nodded. "Forgive me. I forget you're not from here.  500 years ago, during the age of Divinity, Spiritual Cultivation was widespread and very popular. It was also called the golden age of cultivation. Many cultivators ascended to the immortal realm and attained godhood. The new gods caused trouble in the Heavenly realm. They eventually led armies of immortals against the old gods. They were defeated and the Jade Emperor, the ruler of the Heavenly realm, ordered the sects of the mortal realm not to teach outsiders how to spiritually cultivate. Imagine if Deming Fai had warriors who Spiritually Cultivate. He'd be unmanageable."

"I suppose I don't fully understand what makes spiritual cultivation so deadly," I admitted.

"I can't go into great detail but allow me to put I this way. Those who reach Early Qi Gathering rank 1 have an extended life span of 1,000 years. I'm recently celebrated my 95 birthday and I have many more millennia ahead of me."

I blinked and looked him up and down. He didn't look older than thirty. "Happy Birthday?"

He chuckled. "My assessment is that we can entrust you with your own unit. I'll go over our strategy with you and test your military knowledge."

I nodded. "Good. I want to help."

We spent several hours in his personal study. He'd propose battle scenarios to test whether I understood battle strategy. I'd never fought in a war or battle, but my grandfather would regale me about his time in the big one. By the end, Huan was confident that I would not get my unit killed.

The next day, he would arrange for a series of exercises to test my skills as a leader. I asked him how many battles he'd been in and he told me this would be his fourth. The sects often fought demon hordes who tried to invade the mortal realm.

The Kunlun sect of mount Kunlun was famous for slaying demons and other world beings that tried invading the mortal realm. It relieved me to know that Huan and the others had combat experience.

As the day waned and night came upon us Huan informed me I would stay in his home. I told him he didn't need to trouble himself. That I could make camp close by. But he wouldn't hear of it.

The room he assigned me and Li Hua. Was big enough to room ten with space to spare. The room had a dining table with jade dishes. A writing station with all the stationary anyone would need, including sealing wax in many colors.

Behind embroidered screens was a large bronze tub big enough to hold five people. The tub had a drain and faucet. The faucet had one temperature, hot. I'd have to ask how they got hot water in this place.

But the most amazing thing about this room was the bed. I couldn't tell what material they made the mattress of, but it was as soft as a cloud. The pillow was a tube of the same material and had a floral scent.

Huan had his disciples knock down a couple of stall walls in the stable for Lian. I tucked her in myself. She had plenty of room and a whole goat for dinner. I was very satisfied with the treatment of the Yin Yang Sect. Or perhaps this was just how Huan Ping treated his guests. Either way, he brought honor to his sect and to himself.

I sat at the writing station writing a letter to Chief Lang, who I left in charge, and a letter to each of my wives explaining the current events and my delayed return. I had just finished sending off the third messenger bird when I heard the bath being drawn.

"Master, I'm drawing you a bath. How do you like your bathwater?" Li Hua asked me.

"I'm not sure I understand the question," I replied.

"Well, there are any powders available to us. Which do you prefer?"

I scratched my head. I knew that Europeans used scented oils when bathing. But powder? "Why don't you choose for me? In my world, we use bars made of ash and tallow to bathe with."

She made a contemplative sound. "Interesting. Do you know hows it's made? Maybe I could try making some for you?"

This girl was a real sweetheart. "No, I'm afraid I don't know the exact methods used. But I appreciate the thought."

When she told me the bath was ready, I shed my clothes and sank into the hot water with a contented sigh. The sound of another body entering the water had my eyes popping open. Li Hua was naked and slipping into the bathwater.

"What are you doing?" I asked her.

She smiled at me and held up a washcloth. "I'm here to wash you, of course."

"I'm fairly certain I can manage that bit on my own," I told her.

She pouted as she came closer to me. "Master. I'm your servant. This is one of my duties. Please don't be difficult. I promise I won't hurt you."

I snorted out a laugh. "Fine, you little minx, but don't say I didn't warn you. A beautiful woman like you enters a bath with me. You're going to stir my desire and you'll be the recipient."

She ran the washcloth over my back. "I'm not afraid. I'll gladly be the recipient of your desire."

I snorted again, but let her wash my back and shoulders. Her touch was soothing rather than arousing. But I was certain that if I turned around and took in her full naked glory, I'd be a different story. I warned her and she was here. She'd just have to accept the consequences like she said she would.

After my bathing, I got out of the tub to dry myself and get into a change of clothes, but she beat me to that as well. She insisted on drying me off. Seeing her naked form kneeling in front of me as she dried my legs and thighs a certain part of my anatomy stood to attention. Li Hua was slender. Not skinny and not chubby either. Her breasts were large but still perky. Her mound was shaved except for a thin landing strip the same color as her hair. I held in my laughter when her face nearly collided with my member. Her eyes went wide, but to her credit, she didn't stop drying me off. When she was done, she excused herself and I went and dressed in some silk undergarments that reminded me of pajamas.

I was getting into bed when I noticed Li Hua again. She was a sheer robe in a golden hue that did nothing to hide her nakedness from me. It reminded me of what Jiao wore whenever I visited her room.

"Is this part of your duties as well?" I asked her.

She nodded her head. "My mistress ordered all of us to service you, body, mind, and soul."

I shook my head. "You don't have to do this, you know."

She pushed me down onto the bed and straddled me. "And if I want to?"

"Then I guess I can't stop you."

She smiled triumphantly and impaled herself on my erection. Sex with Li Hua was different from sex with any of the other women I'd been with. Stella, my ex, always had me doing all the work. Li Hua preferred to be on top. Min was an equal opportunity lover. We both did the work, but she was shy and inexperienced. Her ex had only done it one way with her. Ass up, face down. I'm still glad I killed him. Li Hua clearly knew what she was doing as our bodies moved in unison. Jiao, despite her supposed experience, was very timid and shy. We hadn't even moved past the foreplay. Li Hua was confident of herself. It showed in the way she rocked her hips.

She orgasmed first and I followed soon after. She collapsed on top of me and I wrapped my arms around her stroking her long hair as she took several deep breaths. I could feel her heart racing against my chest. I drew the sheets over our bodies and let her lie atop me for the rest of the night.

I didn't mind her body was soft and warm against mine.

When the morning light woke me she was gone. I could see breakfast on the table. She must have risen early to make it for me. But then, where was she? I ate my breakfast, then went to bathe again. My clothes were missing, so I assumed she must have been doing our laundry. I dressed in the clothes she had left for me. Or I assumed she left them for me. I put on fresh silk undergarments, then a black inner robe that I tied with a blue sash, and then a larger outer robe embroidered with gold dragons and cherry blossoms.

I took a moment to look at myself in the full-length mirror. Despite it being made of metal, my reflection was clear. I looked very good. Almost regal. I walked outside and found Li Hua and she was indeed doing the laundry. She stood when she noticed me and bowed respectfully.

"Did you pick these clothes for me?"

She nodded her head. "Are they to your liking?"

"Yes. I like them very much. Thank you." She blushed and bowed again before returning to the laundry.

I went in search of Huan Ping. I found him standing on the lawn just past the pavilion with thirty other men and women. The men wore blue robes, and the women were dressed like Huan's disciples. All were armed. These must be the people I'd lead into battle.

I approached Huan Ping and bowed respectfully to him. "Good morning. "

He bowed in return. "Good morning. Are you ready to begin?"

"Ready and willing."

Huan smiled and clapped me on the shoulder. "This is your unit. Thirty outer sect members. Today's exercise will be to test how well you give orders and how you operate under pressure. The aim is simple." He pointed to a path that led up the mountain. "That path leads to a popular pavilion where people go for many reasons. Your task is to get to the top without losing all your men. You have until the sun sets to complete it."

I nodded to Huan. He smiled and clapped me on the shoulder, then disappeared into the house to leave me with my troops.

"I'm Alastair Ivory, leader of the Five mountains alliance of Gold valley. I'll be leading you in the upcoming battle. I'm new to this place, so I'll need your help."

They looked at each other in confusion. "How?" One of them asked.

"First. Who here knows that path the best?" A man in his early twenties stepped forward. "Are there any places that would make for a good ambush?" The disciple nodded his head. "Good. Now, do you all know each other?" They all nodded their heads. Who among you do you trust the most?" They didn't even hesitate. They pointed to a thin girl of about eighteen. I waved her forward. She bowed nervously. "You'll be my second in command. That means I'll give you orders and you make sure everyone else gets them." She nodded her head. "Finally, who among you has fought in the most battles?" A man in his late twenties stepped forward. "You'll be my strategist. What are your names?"

"I am Long Hai." The first man said.

"Liu Feng, Master." The girl said with a bow.

"Qiang Wei." The last one said.

I nodded. "Long Hai and Qiang Wei, you'll work together. Long Hai. Tell him about the places where ambushes might occur. Qiang Wei, based on what he says, tell me your opinion on how we should proceed."

While they spoke, I turned to Liu Feng. "As second in command, I'll need you to relay my commands to them but also to inform me on the condition of the unit. They trust you. They'll tell you how they think and feel. If morale is low or if someone is hurt and we need to treat them. These are things I need to know. Understand?"

She nodded her head. "Yes, Master."

Long Hai knew of about two places where ambushes would be most likely. Qiang Wei suggested those who specialized in Body cultivation should form the front line with QI cultivators supporting them. I nodded to Liu Feng and she report the formation order to the men and we were off.

Just as Long thought, the first ambush occurred halfway up the bath. They attacked from the right. Thanks to the magic available to QI cultivators shallow wounds would determine death for the exercise. The Body cultivators held off the opponents while the Qi cultivators hurled non-lethal spells at them. Our first skirmish was a success. We sustained one casualty who was forced to pretend to be dead until the exercise was over.

I had hoped not to lose anyone, but I suppose that was too unrealistic. Our second skirmish was very different. They attacked from both sides. I ordered the unit to split in two. I gave Liu Feng command of one half while I commanded the other.

We were successful again, but we lost five more. The rest of the journey was met with no harassment and I was surprised to see Huan waiting for us at the pavilion."

"You did well. You lost a few, and that was to be expected. We'll repeat this exercise a few more times so you all can work on your teamwork. But you all did well. And so did you, Master Ivory. All of you rest up. We start again tomorrow." 

On the way down the mountain, I talked about strategy with Liu, Long, and Qiang. I wanted us to be the best we could be. Our lives depended on it.

4