Chapter 16 Aftermath
88 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I sat with Chyou and Huan in my bedroom. Seated at the table, we drank fruit wine. My eyes kept wandering over to check on the sleeping form of Li Mei. I had put her to bed as soon as we got home and told her to sleep. She didn't argue. Liu Feng was asleep in her own room. Most of her wounds were mended and the sleep would heal the others.

"I thought we shared everything? To think I have such a sneaky lover. Oh, woe is me." Chyou said dramatically.

I rolled my eyes. "I wasn't hiding it. But I would not volunteer the information."

"Why not simply kill her?" Huan Ping asked. "Wouldn't that have been simpler?"

I shrugged. "Maybe. But like I said. She committed no crime. Even if she killed before I met her, who's to say they didn't deserve it? If a man tried to kill either of you, would you let him?"

They both shook their heads. I nodded. "Exactly. Why should we expect her or any other Huli Jing to just stand and die? Now I'm sure there might be evil Huli Jing, just as there are evil men. I saw no reason to kill her when I could just bring her with me."

Chyou smiled and sidled up to me, hugging my arm. "Yet another reason I adore you. So young yet so wise and merciful."

Huan smirked at Chyou as he fanned himself. "You should try being as wise as him. You realize this is all your fault."

Chyou scowled at him. "What do you mean, my fault?"

"Elder Chan has been pining for you for nearly a century. You've rebuffed his affections, and all but bragged about taking Alastair as your lover."

I chuckled. "So, in a fit of rage, he sends his thugs to attack me at my home. And finds Li Mei."

"Not to change the subject, but I thought Huli Jing had no names. How does she have one?" Chyou asked me.

"I gave her one. It bound her to me. We're connected now." I told them, looking back at Li Mei. "The bond is stronger when I'm closer."

"Then you weren't home?" Huan Ping asked?

"Of course not. I wouldn't have let them take her otherwise." I told him.

"Then where were you?"

Chyou rolled her eyes. "Still so lazy." She chided Huan Ping. "Can't you see he broke through? He's at Early Qi Refining now."

Huan scoffed. "I'm not a busybody like you. I don't constantly read others' auras." He turned to me and raised his cup in a toast. "Congratulations on your success."

I clinked my cup to his and sipped my wine. "Thank you. It was moments after I broke through that I found Liu Feng. Speaking of. Huan Ping, would you be willing to teach me some more of your family, qigong?"

"Of course. I'll come by tomorrow for some private lessons." He assured me.

I thanked him. We drank together for a couple more hours before they both walked and wished me a good night. Both drank three jars each. But at their level of cultivation, their bodies turned to wine and food into inner Qi that they could store in their dantian.

I bathed since I hadn't had a chance earlier. I dressed in a nightshirt and joined LI Mei in bed. She turned and cuddled into me with a contented sigh. This close to her I could feel our bond. It was strong, soothing my heart and soul unexpectedly.

I stayed close to home for the next few days. I was being overprotective, I know. But I couldn't shake how close I had come to losing Li Mei. I didn't know how strong the bond was till the morning after. When I woke with her in my arms and the knowledge that elder Chan would have killed her filled me with rage and a bone-deep terror.

So, I stayed close to her for the time being. I practiced qigong with Huan Ping. Mainly Qi manipulation and fire QI. Having a fire spirit root meant I could convert my Qi into the element. With QI manipulation, I could move objects and even do delicate maneuvers. As I used the ambient Qi in the courtyard to move slowly and pour tea into a cup, I kept hearing Yoda's voice in my head, 'No try do!' which made the whole maneuver harder because I had to fight back a fit of giggles. Huan kept giving me a strange look, wondering what I found so funny, making me want to laugh even harder.

When I filled the cup and levitated it to Huan Ping, I sat and laughed, letting it roll through me. Huan Ping sipped the tea, looking at me as if I'd lost my mind. He looked down at the tea as if it was poisoned.

I waved a hand. "I'm sorry my friend. I remembered something funny."

He raised a brow. "Care to share?"

I stood and brushed the grass off my robes. "There's a fictional character from a fable in my world. His name is Yoda. He's a type of qigong master. He has a famous quote. There is no try only do. But his voice is what's funny." I did my best imitation of Yodas voice and got a laugh from Huan Ping.

"You must tell me the fable some time." He said with interest.

Huh. That would be an interesting challenge. How to tell the story of Star Wars so he could understand. The Jedi and Sith would be easy enough for Huan Ping to relate to. "I should. Maybe even make a party of it."

Huan Ping's eyes lit at that. "Indeed. A fine idea. If you decide to make plans, let me know and I'll help."

I clapped him on the shoulder. "I will and soon. Promise."

We practice for another hour before he left, but not before leaving me a manual on techniques for me and Chyou to practice with. Or maybe I'd practice with Li Mei. Huli Jing had incredible amounts of Qi. Chyou told me to find more partners to help increase my cultivation.

But for the time being, I'd just watch over her. She wasn't a tool for my cultivation and she'd had enough drama. Later, when I could trust the other sect members wouldn't come and try to hurt her.

4