Chapter 27 Battle of Demon Gate
78 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The morning sun silhouetted Kunlun mountain. I stood looking at the beautiful sight. The sect's forces had passed through a Spirit gate that took us to Kunlun mountain. I could see people emerging from other Spirit gates. The six great sects were going to march to the Demon Gate and fight the demons that would no doubt emerge.

The force that was assembling here was incredible. We were forming up into ranks, getting ready to march into the valley where the gate was located. I stood with my Huli Jing around me. They were getting some rather hostile looks from the other cultivators assembling. I warmed my heart to see my fellow sect brothers and sisters close ranks around the Huli Jing.

The elder gathered a short distance away, holding an impromptu strategy meeting. Just past the mountain was a valley where the Demon Gate was guarded. But the news had already spread that the Kunlun sect had lost contact with their guardians at the gate. It looked like we'd have no choice but to fight the demons.

When everyone was finally assembled, we moved out. Every sect had its forces set up into units. The Yin Yang sect's forces had fifty units of thirty members each. Kunlun mountain sent nearly ten thousand forces, but they were the oldest and second most military-oriented sect on the continent.

From the edge of the valley, I could see the Demon Gate. It was larger than the spirit gates that we used to get here. The sects surrounded the gate. The Demon sect members lay dead at the foot of the gate. It looked as if they committed suicide. The valley was still empty. Did they fail?

A loud ripping sound fills the valley as if the very fabric of the universe was ripped in two. A purple light emerged from the gate, followed by the blaring horns. From the gate emerged legions of humanoid figures in black armor wearing grotesque face masks. They marched in square formations ten wide and a hundred deep.

They marched in perfect unison out of the Demon Gate and took up formation around the gate, facing the sect forces arrayed against them. The gate was a thousand feet away, and no one was moving. I looked about me and I could see the abject terror on all their faces. It was then that I got it. These were Demons. In this world, they were the boogie men.

I sometimes forgot how much mysticism and superstition were rampant in this world. Cool, calculated rational thought was the minority here. I looked at the demons. I saw humanoid beings that I could fight and kill. Everyone else around me, even the Huli Jing, saw monsters that plague their dreams.

As the demons continued to emerge from the gate and our forces stood staring, unwilling to rush forward, I knew we would lose this fight. Never go into a fight thinking you'd lose. But if you go into a fight, you need to strike first. The first strike is psychologically important. It sets the tone of the fight.

The demons just by showing up have the upper hand. These skilled fighters, despite their accomplishments, are letting their fear defeat them. Ainsley pressed herself against me, her ears laying flat against her skull in distress. Her hand was over my heart. I took a deep breath when I felt a sharp pain in my chest. She pressed her hand down on a bulge under my shirt. I reached into my shirt and pulled out my Dragon whistle.

I gave Ainsley a quick kiss for reminding me about the Whistle. I ran forward, putting some distance between me and the cultivators behind me. I put the whistle to my lips and blew. No sound came out, or rather none that I could hear. I waited not daring to breathe, Then I saw it. a sleek white form weaving through the clouds.

I wanted to jump and cheer. 'Master Ivory, I didn't expect to see you so soon.' I was so glad to hear Bai Long's voice in my head.

'Thank you for coming, mighty Bai Long. I'm sorry to have to ask for your assistance, but I am in dire need of it.' I hoped she could hear my thoughts.

'I can see. The Demon Gate is open again. What would you ask of me?'

'Could you slay these demons and maybe close the gate?' I asked her.

I heard her chuckle in my head. 'Very well, master Ivory, I can indeed do this for you. Stand by your fellow cultivators.' I clasped my hands and bowed low to her before I did as she said. I ran back to the others and watched in awe as her long white form descended upon the demons. Blue flames shot out of her jaws in a steady stream, reducing the demons to ash in seconds.

She destroyed the demon's forces within seconds and shot a stream of flame through the open portal before she clutched the gate with her foreclaw. I could sense the flow of Qi that she channeled into the Demon Gate. The glowing symbols on the gate sputtered, then died growing dark. The Portal shut off abruptly, leaving the valley deathly quiet.

Bai Long walked over to me. 'It's a pleasure to see you again. But I hope you don't call me too much. I do have a personal life.'

I bowed again. 'I mean no offense when I say I hope I never have cause to blow this whistle again.'

She chuckled. 'Perhaps if you ascend, we can meet again in the Immortal Realm. Farewell Master Ivory.'

She leaped into the air and wound around and around as she soared up into the clouds, disappearing behind them.

The valley was still deathly silent as all eyes were on me. I looked about me to see everyone staring at me. Then, all at once, the gathered cultivators roared in victory. They clapped, cheered, and hollered in jubilation. My fellow sect members and others swarmed me. I was slapped on the back, embraced, and several of the female cultivators saw fit to grace my lips with kisses. It was overwhelming, but the crowds moved back when the sect leaders approached to offer their congratulations.

With the threat gone, the sect forces dispersed, heading home. When I arrived back at the sect compound with everyone else, Jiutian Xuan declared a celebration in my honor. I would not say no to that. The Cafeteria was full of feasting and drinking. The night was a blur since I was offered far too many refills of the best wine the sect had in its wine storage. Later, when I had enough booze and food, Liu Feng and Li Mei helped me back to our residence, where they kept me company for the rest of the night.

1