Chapter 23
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 23

The Baron had his head down on his desk. He knew that he would most likely have to let Hans go eventually, but it still hurt to watch him leave. Hans was dependable, and far less of a meathead than most of his lieutenants. Now the only man left who could handle diplomatic matters was Ludwin. Helmut had some very noticeable autistic leanings, he often had a hard time expressing his emotions and understanding others, and the rest of his men were either meatheads or nonhuman, making them unusable for diplomacy, at least within the Empire.

Of course, that was not the only reason the Baron was feeling dejected. He had considered Hans a friend, or at least as much as two men of wildly different social standings could be friends. Losing someone to differing politics is painful, far more painful than simply drifting apart. In this case, there is simply no chance that they could reconcile their differences and reconnect. Hans was a true believer in the Empire’s racist rhetoric, and people like that very rarely change their minds. The Baron sighed and looked to his bottles of alcohol.

“I need healthier coping mechanisms…”

Someone entered the room, but the Baron didn’t even think of raising his head. Whoever entered walked up to his desk and gently touched his shoulder.

“Dad…I understand that the loss of Hans must hurt, but we have business to attend to.”

The Baron slowly raised his head and looked his son in the eyes before looking at his fidgeting hands and sighing.

“I know…it’s just… it's hard to think straight.”

Wolfgang nodded his head solemnly.

“Trust me, I know how hard something like this is, but we need to move forward. With Hans’s defection to the Empress, her suspicions will only grow. We need to plan for the future, we need to decide where and how we will move forward.”

The Baron sighed and stood up from his desk.

“You’re right. Dammit you're right. Summon my lieutenants, all of them. We will inform the rest of them about our plans and have their input on where we go from here, I doubt anyone remaining is more loyal to the Empire than they are to me. I was thinking of opening relations with the Orcs, by the way.”

Wolfgang opened the door and gestured towards the opening.

“Yes, yes, that is what I suggested last time we spoke, after all.”

The Baron patted Wolfgang’s shoulder as he passed by.

“What would I ever do without you?”

Wolfgang smiled and followed after the Baron.

“Not much, I’d imagine.”

 

All of the Baron’s lieutenants, as well as Jean, who was just a military engineer, gathered in the Baron’s library. The Baron had set up two blackboards and another board with a map of the world on it. The lieutenants were seated at a table in front of the setup, the Baron and Wolfgang were standing at the blackboards and map. Gaius was sat in a comically undersized chair, because no one in the Empire made chairs for beings of his size.

“Hello everyone, I am sure you are curious as to why I have called you here today. Any guesses?”

Wolfgang smacked the back of the Baron’s head.

“Father. Take this seriously.”

The Baron smiled and rubbed the back of his head.

“Alright alright.”

The Baron adopted a serious expression and addressed his lieutenants properly, falling into a parade rest and clearing his throat before speaking.

“Before I begin with what I have called you all here today, I would like to address my remaining human lieutenants.”

Everyone shifted uncomfortably in their chairs. Gaius mostly because he was physically uncomfortable in a human sized chair.

“I am sure you have noticed Hans’s absence by now. I am sure some of you could posit a guess as to what happened, but, for those out of the loop, Hans has left my services.”

He paused for a moment to allow for his words to sink in.

“Hans left us. He left us behind because he could not stand to work alongside Jean and Gaius. He has defected to the Empress because he could not look past his prejudices. I would like to take the opportunity to say, if any of you have any apprehension towards working alongside nonhumans, you are to leave my services. I plan to treat Jean and Gaius, as well as anyone else I happen to work with, as equals. If you cannot do the same, I want you out of my province. Such primitive ways of thinking are not welcome here.”

The Baron gripped the saber at his waist purposefully. After a long, uncomfortable silence, Ludwin finally spoke up.

“Baron, I feel I speak for the remaining old guard when I say I am fully willing to work alongside nonhumans. Hans’s political leanings have always made me…somewhat uncomfortable. Being a merchant has put me in contact with many different peoples, so I have always thought of the nonhumans as equals, more or less. My father made a point of teaching us as such, being a bigot is bad for business. I believe Fergus has made his feelings clear about this sort of thing, and neither Udo nor Helmut have ever shown any real prejudice towards Jean.”

The Baron looked to his other lieutenants.

“Do any of you have anything to correct or add to Ludwin’s proclamation?”

Udo and Helmut shook their heads. Udo waved his hand dismissively.

“Nah, he’s mostly right. I grew up in Grossenburg, same as Hans, but I never really cared about any of the stuff I was told about nonhumans. I was told they were evil or whatever, but one time I saw this elf woman when I was messing around in Grindelburg, and let me tell you, she was hot as fuck.”

Helmut rolled his eyes so hard it was a miracle they didn’t spin out of his skull.

“Alarich’s left nut do you think of anything other than women?”

“I think of fighting as well!”

Fergus shot up and clasped hands with Udo.

“Við hljótum að eiga sömu móður!”

“Yeah! What he said!”

The Baron shook his head and turned to Helmut.

“So? How do you feel about nonhumans? Is what Ludwin said accurate?”

“Well, no elf has ever called me a freak. I have no quarrel with them.”

“I suppose that is fair enough.”

Jean tapped his glass with a spoon to get everyone’s attention.

“Baron, I assume there is more to this meeting than simply establishing that we are welcome ‘ere? Do you ‘ave something more important to announce to us?”

“Very observant Jean. Yes, I have much more to discuss with you all today than just our opinions on nonhumans. But, before that, I would like to ask where your loyalties lie, mostly asking for Ludwin, Helmut, and Udo to clarify their positions there."

The Baron's face hardened.

"Are you loyal to me, or the Empire?”

The three men stiffened slightly, sitting in uncomfortable silence for a couple of seconds. Udo was the first to speak, standing up from his chair.

“I am loyal to you, Baron. I never really cared about ideas like nationalism or whatever, I was only really interested in following someone strong. You treat me like a person, and you’re strong as hell. The Empress hasn’t done anything to gain my respect, you have.”

The Baron smiled and bowed his head gratefully.

“I am glad that I have your trust, Udo.”

Helmut stood up from his chair, falling into a parade rest.

“I am loyal to you, Baron. I may be from Waffenstadt, but I have been a wanderer all my life. Everywhere I have gone, I was treated as a freak because of my lack of emotions. ‘A true Empiresman should be hotblooded and strong.’ ‘A true Empiresman would never adopt the rapier, the thrust is unmanly.’ ‘How can you call yourself a man if you refuse to pursue women?’. I have never once heard such a thing uttered from you. Such nonsense seems to be below you. You have accepted me for who I am, and for that, I am forever in your debt.”

The Baron closed his eyes for a moment in thought.

“I thank you for your words, Helmut. I have done nothing but treat you with the courtesy you are owed, but I appreciate your words nonetheless. Any society that would treat a man with such undeniable talent such as you as a pariah is one that will not last the test of time.”

Helmut sat back in his chair, satisfied. Ludwin looked far more conflicted, his face scrunched up in thought, lips pursed like he had eaten something very sour.

“Ludwin, take as much time to respond as you need.”

Ludwin scratched his head furiously and groaned audibly.

“Baron, you know I want to answer that I am completely loyal to you, I wouldn’t want any other man leading me into battle. However...I have a duty to my family’s company as well. I can guess at what you will be discussing with us today, and such things could lead to very heavy reprisals for the Albrecht Merchant Company, even if I cut all ties.”

The Baron gently closed his eyes in thought.

“I suppose it goes without saying that I would provide protection unconditionally. Would that not be enough for you? I understand if this would be too much to ask for one with so much to lose, I will not hold it against you should you decide to leave for the safety of your family. You would just need to leave immediately, for plausible deniability, but I will allow it. Additionally, if you chose to stay, I do in fact suggest you cut ties, or tell your family to come to Bickenstadt for protection.”

Wolfgang stepped forward and handed Ludwin a piece of paper.

“If you need help convincing them, I have some projected profits for supplying us with arms and food, should your family wish to branch out into weapons.”

The Baron looked at Wolfgang confusedly.

“When could you have possibly had the time to think about that?”

“When you are efficient enough you can find the time to do anything.”

Ludwin scrunched up his face and ran his hand through his hair.

“I mean, this is all theoretical, you cannot guarantee us that the profits will be higher than they would be supplying the Empress.”

“No, I cannot guarantee that. I also cannot guarantee your profits working for the Empress. And I cannot guarantee your safety should you be outside of our sphere of influence.”

“Wolfgang! We are not going to threaten Ludwin! We owe him for his loyalty!”

“We owe him his paycheck and nothing more. Ludwin, you have served us with distinction, and for that I am grateful, but the stakes of what we are discussing are simply too great for us to follow through with half measures. I am sure you understand.”

Ludwin’s face scrunched up like he had eaten something sour. Fergus shot up from his chair.

“If you threaten Ludwin any more, I will kill ya. If you cast Ludwin out, I will leave.”

Wolfgang glared at Fergus, puffing his chest out and casting his gaze downwards to emphasize his size compared to Fergus.

“You will do no such thing, Berzerkeri.”

Fergus got in Wolfgangs face, fists balled near the weapons at his hip. Wolfgang stood firm, unmoving, hands clasped at the small of his back.

“Threaten Ludwin again, and I will kill ya.”

The Baron drew his saber faster than the eye could perceive, letting the blade rest at Fergus’s neck.

“No one threatens my son. Not even you, Fergus.”

Fergus looked to the Baron and scowled, hands opening and closing near the weapons at his hip. The Baron applied more pressure to the saber at Fergus’s neck, opening a small, thin wound on Fergus’s neck.

“Don’t even think about it. Fergus, don’t throw away the future of your people over this.”

Wolfgang leaned over Fergus, trying to loom menacingly as much as he could.

“You forget yourself. We are working for the good of the world. I will not have anyone jeopardizing our mission. My plans will work with or without you. And, unlike my father, I do not hesitate, even against those who I consider friends.”

Fergus ground his teeth hard enough to be audible. His hands never moving away from his waist. Ludwin walked to Fergus and put a hand on his shoulder.

“It’s ok Fergus, stand down.”

Fergus looked to Ludwin and tilted his head.

“But…”

“No buts. Stand down.”

Fergus looked to Wolfgang for a moment, his face scrunching up in thought, before scoffing and sitting back in his seat. The Baron breathed a sigh of relief and sheathed his saber. Ludwin looked Wolfgang in the eyes, his face full of determination.

“Wolfgang, I have a request.” Wolfgang narrowed his eyes incredulously.

“Do tell.”

“I want Bickenstadt to hire my sister, Alana Albrecht. My father wants her to join the merchant company, but she wants to be an engineer. Don't know where she got the idea, but I can vouch for her, she has talent.”

Wolfgang stared at Ludwin, slightly bewildered, before busting out with booming laughter.

“That’s all you need? Of course we will hire your sister. Jean, do you think you can take an apprentice?”

Jean just looked relieved that no one was going to be hurt.

Oui, of course. So long as she will ‘ave me as ‘er mentor. Ludwin, do you ‘appen to know ‘ow you’re sister feels about us elves?”

“Yeah, she doesn’t mind elves. She has dealt with elves for our company, though don't tell anyone about that. She doesn’t much like your accent, but other than that she will most likely have no grievances working alongside you.”

Jean frowned.

“Why does she not like our accent?”

“Uh, I think she said something about you sounding pretentious, or something like that.” Jean rubbed his eyes in exasperation.

“Why does everyone say that?”

Wolfgang gestured for Ludwin to sit.

“Because it’s true. Now, Ludwin, does that mean you will pledge loyalty to the Baron, instead of the Empire.”

Jean slumped in his chair, fiddling with his thumbs like a child. The Baron crouched down near Jean and patted his shoulder, flashing his dumbest grin.

"If it makes you feel any better, I like your accent.”

Wolfgang looked at the Baron like he was a cockroach.

“Father, this is not the time.”

The Baron stood up and waved his hand dismissively.

“Yeah, yeah, don’t worry, I’m taking this seriously.”

The Baron squared his shoulders towards Ludwin, his face dead serious.

“Ludwin, do you swear your loyalty to me and me alone? Will you throw away your old allegiances for the betterment of mankind, the betterment of all the peoples of this world?”

Ludwin dropped to one knee and bowed down.

“I do. I swear fealty to you and you alone. I will follow you wherever you decide to take me. I offer my sword to you, Baron von Bickenstadt.”

“Then rise, Ludwin. You have swore fealty, I promise to repay you for your trust in me. I offer my word that no harm will come to your family as a result of my actions. I will spare no expense in keeping them safe.”

Ludwin stood up and bowed to the Baron.

“I am forever in your care.”

After waiting a moment to let Ludwin and the Baron feel good about themselves, Wolfgang clapped his hands to get everyone’s attention.

“Now that our loyalties have been established, I am going to tell Ludwin, Helmut, and Jean what our plans are. You three are the only ones left out of the loop so far, by no fault of your own, we just have not gotten around to telling you.”

Wolfgang unfurled a map of the Empire and hung it up next to the map of the world.

“I am sure you have figured it out by now, but we plan on revolting against the Empire. We wish to replace the Imperial system with a more egalitarian one, similar to how the elven countries work.”

Jean raised his arm as soon as Wolfgang finished speaking.

“Not all of our countries operate in a democracé! Only La République Elfique ‘as a foundation of liberté and égalité. There are three large elven countries worth noting, La République Elfique, where I ‘ail from, La Sécession Royale, the remnants of the the old elfique empire which was destroyed by us, and La Volonté de Dieu Manifestée, which is run by the church of Delphine la Créateur. I suggest if we do any dealings with my people, we only approach La République.”

Wolfgang scratched his head and grabbed a few pieces of paper and a pencil, handing them to Jean.

“Please write down anything like that which you believe would be useful. It is very difficult for us in the Empire to get accurate information on elves. The things you know could change everything about how to approach diplomacy with your people.”

“Of course, I will write anything I can think of. Oh, since we elves live close to the Dwarven kingdoms, we generally 'ave an idea of what is going on there, so there is something you should know. The Dwarven Kingdoms are fighting some internal conflicts as the moment, it ‘as raged on for close to 80 years now with no sign of stopping. I 'ighly doubt that they would be willing to provide support to us. I suggest you don’t even bother opening relations with the Dwarven kingdoms at the moment.”

Wolfgang buried his head in his hands.

“Why is all of our information so out of date? 80 years! 80 years of war and we haven’t heard a single rumor even! The Empire is far worse off than I thought.”

Wolfgang grabbed a pen and drew a large X over the large southeastern continent on the map.

“So no dwarves, huh? My plan was to open relations with them as our next step…hmmm…perhaps we open relations with the orcs?”

Gaius spoke up as Wolfgang was thinking.

“The orcs are wery strong warriors. If we can recruit them, I believe they would be a great help.”

Wolfgang slid another map to Jean.

“I can’t believe we never thought of asking you about this sort of thing before, can you make sure our maps are still accurate? Also Gaius, do you believe they would be easy to ally with?”

Etiam, the orcs respect strength, and the Baron is strong. All we need is to prove our strength to them and they will ally with us. Well, prove our strength first, pay them second, then they will ally with us.”

Wolfgang smiled and drew a circle on the largest settlement on the far north part of the map.

“Then our next order of business is visiting Londonsburg. Instead of just being a diplomatic mission, we can offer our services as mercenaries. The orcs are always fighting, so they would most likely appreciate us offering our services. Our objective is to prove our strength to the orcs and gain them as allies, either hiring them as mercenaries to draw away some of the Empress’s resources, or preferably as comrades in arms who would be willing to fight and conquer alongside us. Is anyone opposed to this plan?”

Everyone shook their heads.

“Excellent. I will handle the planning for this, so don’t worry too much about it. This will be an expedition by the Klarwasser Mercenary Company, not by Bickenstadt province. All of you will be a part of this journey. We will offer our services during the summer and leave during autumn, I would rather not lose too many men to the cold. Any objections?”

No one spoke up, so Wolfgang continued.

“Good, then we shall move on to our internal objectives, meaning what all we need to do to have a fighting chance.”

Wolfgang drew a checkmark in Waffenstadt province, and an X in Leibenstadt province.

“Father, I assume that Holenstadt is taken care of?”

“Yes, I will most likely have to talk with the leaders of Holenstadt at length at a later date, but I am fairly confident they are on our side.”

“Excellent, then the two provinces we need to turn our attention to are Leibenstadt and Waffenstadt. My plan is to ally to Waffenstadt, and subjugate Leibenstadt.”

Ludwin raised his hand and spoke.

“Why subjugate Leibenstadt instead of trying to ally with them like Waffenstadt?”

“For Leibenstadt, there are a couple of variables that make turning them into allies untenable. First of all, the Empress has control over Leibenstadt as their Baroness. Any town that would be willing to work with us would most likely be heavily watched by her, and, unlike in Holenstadt, she is somewhat popular in Leibenstadt, especially after most of the political dissidents were purged during the prince's disasterous rebellion. Many retired soldiers settle in Leibenstadt, and much of the Grand Imperial Army is stationed in Bergzitadelle Friedrich and Hässlich. The Empress has been threatening war with the Assai’id Confederation, so about a third of the army is on the border and will stay there for the foreseeable future.”

Wolfgang circled three settlements, Leibensburg, the capital city of Leibenstadt, and Bergzitadelle Friedrich and Hässlich.

“We need to take control of all three of these settlements. Leibenstadt for political reasons, if we own the capital people will nominally recognize us as the owners of the province, and Friedrich and Hässlich because much of the Grand Imperial Army is there. Before we can march on Grossenstadt and the other western provinces, we need to neutralize Leibenstadt. Much of our manpower will need to be concentrated on keeping the Empress’s forces from invading from the north as we take full control of the south. If we get invaded from the north and south, we are done. We need to take Leibenstadt before the Empress manages to break through our defenses in the north. Speaking of which…”

Wolfgang pointed to the river which divided the continent in two.

“Most of our northern defenses will be focused on stopping the Empress from crossing the Großer Teilender Fluss. If she manages to move a significant number of the army across the river before we have subjugated Leibenstadt, we will most likely lose. We will need to station heavy garrisons at every bridge and ferry station on this river, perhaps even station them on the Empress’s side if we can manage it, maybe build a couple of new forts in the area. Can you all see what our largest problem will be?”

Gaius crossed his arms and leaned back in his chair.

“We will need a lot of manpower.”

“Exactly. We need enough manpower to hold off the Empress and conquer Leibenstadt at the same time. That is why our rebellion will be years in the future. But, luckily for us, since it is years in the future, we have years to plan. So I would like to ask all of you, do you have anything to add to this plan at the moment? And, I would like to add, if you think of something that could help in the future, do not hesitate to bring it to my attention.”

Helmut raised his hand.

"By the time we are ready to begin the rebellion, the Empress will most likely have an idea as to what we are doing. Will she not pull some of the Grand Imperial Army back to Grossenstadt if she begins to think we will invade?"

"I have accounted for this. All such a development would do is change the ratio of troops attacking Leibenstadt and defending Bickenstadt. Anything else?"

"Yes, what do we do about the eastern provinces? You have not addressed Jagstadt, Weinstadt, Bvarian, or Ebenenstadt. Would they not also invade us?"

"There have been some developments in that department that I have not made you aware of. Our diplomatic mission to Caprae Loco bore fruit, we have a military alliance with the Brayherds. Our plan is for them to invade the Empire from the south-east. In doing so they will prevent the eastern provinces from invading, and hopefully draw resources away from the western front, so to speak. Is that satisfactory?"

Helmut nodded his head and sat back down.

"Anything else? No? Then I believe we can adjourn this meeting. I am sure I do not need to tell you this, but remember, if you speak a word of this to anyone, you will be silenced. This project may have been my father’s idea, but I have largely taken up the role of planning, so if you have questions and ideas, come to me.”

Everyone acknowledged his words and left the room, leaving just the Baron and Wolfgang behind. Wolfgang made to leave, but the Baron angrily stopped him, grabbing his shoulder with a little more force than he was intending.

“You can’t just threaten Ludwin like that, I will not stand for it! I defended you against Fergus because you are my beloved son, and I will continue that precedent in the future, but I ask that you try to treat our allies with a lighter hand in the future.”

Wolfgang flopped down in a chair and produced a flask from his pocket, taking a swig before responding.

“I understand that you think of your lieutenants as friends or comrades, but you must not lose sight of the bigger picture. I will of course treat our allies with the respect they deserve, but should they cease to be useful, or even become harmful to our cause, I will not hesitate to be rid of them. You will be the face of our rebellion, leading it from the frontlines, I will be the mastermind, doing what needs to be done in the shadows, including things that leave a poor taste in your mouth. We both know our goals cannot be achieved without me, and the inverse is true as well. You will not get your hands dirty, and I cannot draw people to me. We need each other to do what we cannot.”

The Baron frowned in thought for a moment, grunting in begrudging approval as he snatched the flask from Wolfgang’s hand.

“Fine. You make a good point. Just…just try to check with me if you feel you need to kill our allies. Or, former allies I, suppose.”

The Baron took a long swig from Wolfgang’s flask. Scotch from Orkney.

“How did you end up so different from me? You are my son after all.”

Wolfgang scoffed and took the flask back, taking a big swig before speaking.

“I have spent my whole life in your shadow, dad. I had two options, be a worse version of you, or be something new. I chose the latter. There was no way I could measure up to you and your mercenary company, so I simply decided not to.”

“And there is nothing I would have wanted more than for you to become your own man. I don’t want Baron von Bickenstadt Jr. I want Wolfgang von Bickenstadt!”

Wolfgang smiled and nodded his head slightly in appreciation.

“I’m glad you don’t want me to follow in your footsteps, because that simply can’t be done. Now, I have planning to do, so unless you wish to join me I request that you vacate the premises.”

The Baron laughed and turned to leave.

“Vacate the premises, a bureaucrat through and through.”

Wolfgang waved the Baron away as he began writing.

“Bite me.”

 

As the Baron made his way back to his study, he picked up on some hushed whispers. He identified where it was coming from, a small, scarcely used passageway located close to the Baron’s study.

“I was afraid I’d lose ya. Please try not tae poke tha bear again, Wolfgang is ruthless, and 'es good.”

The Baron got as close as he could without alerting whoever was talking.

“I’m sorry Fergus, but you know I have a duty to my family’s company.”

“I know, I know. I just…donnae want tae see ya killed over nothing. I need ya. We need each other. We already know bein’ like this exposes danger tae us.”

The Baron peeked around the corner, exposing as little of himself as he could to not be noticed. As he looked around the corner he was greeted with Ludwin and Fergus, sharing a deep embrace.

“You know I could never live without you, Fergus. I would never do anything to jeopardize that, without good reason.”

Ludwin looked down to Fergus and smiled, nuzzling their foreheads together.

“Aye. I ken you had no choice. You got yer family tae think of. You think so well, I donnae ken what I would do without you. I just...I donnae like not bein' able to do somethin'.”

They both looked into each other’s eyes for a moment, their heads slowly drifting towards each other. In that moment the brick the Baron was putting his weight on gave out, tumbling to the ground along with the Baron. Fergus jumped into action as soon as he heard the brick, drawing his ax and jumping onto the Baron. Just as his ax reached it’s apex, he stopped.

“Baron?”

The Baron put his hands up to indicate he meant no harm.

“Hello Fergus, Ludwin. Good to see you two! What a meeting earlier, huh?”

Ludwin was rubbing circles on his temples, pacing back and forth, obviously very stressed by the situation he found himself in.

“Baron, I swear to Auftragter this is not what it looks like.”

Fergus looked the Baron dead in the eye, never letting up on his ax nor lowering it, ready to attack should he need to.

“Baron, that was exactly what it looked like.”

The Baron’s eyes widened slightly.

“You two are…together? Like…in love together?”

“Aye.”

“For how long?”

Ludwin answered and his pacing slowed.

“Since about the time you gain ownership of Holenstadt.”

The Baron stuttered in surprise.

“Wha-. wai-. Wha-. re-really? That long?”

The Baron scruffed his chin in thought.

“I mean…I suppose that makes sense…you two have been very close ever since then…how had I not put it together before!?”

Fergus’s hard look wavered and he lowered his ax slightly.

“Were we obvious?”

“I mean…in hindsight yet. But I hadn’t realized it until now. I thought you two were just good friends!”

Ludwin’s pacing stopped completely and he turned to look at the Baron.

“Wait…so are you ok with this?”

The Baron recoiled slightly in offense.

“Of course I am ok with you two being together! What kind of primitive knuckle dragging ape do you take me for!? And speaking of knuckle dragging apes, can you get the hell off me?!”

Fergus sat up, still straddling the Baron.

“Baron, yer okay with…gays?”

“I am the most progressive man in the Empire god dammit, of course I’m okay with gay people, now off my chest your damned brute!”

The Baron sat up and pushed Fergus off, scrambling to his feet as Fergus moved next to Ludwin. The Baron brushed the dust off his Landsknecht’s shirt.

“You know I am not the straightest man in the world either. Before Sabine there were plenty of barmaids and other women and whatnot, but there were also butlers and fellow noblemen, that kind of thing. I have a list in the back of my mind that could bring the entire upper classes to their knees, though of course that would include me so I do nothing with it.”

“You know, Baron, you ramble a lot.”

“Shut it Ludwin. We could both end each other’s political or mercantile careers with what we just learned about each other. Let us agree to not speak too openly of this, yes? For the time being, at least.”

“Yes, of course Baron.”

“Good. You know, I’m glad to know that the people in my inner circle are finding love, I wish you both the best.”

The Baron turned to leave but stopped and again addressed Ludwin.

“Oh, by the way, I’ll make sure to assign you two on missions together in the future, if you want.”

Fergus smiled warmly.

“Of course Baron! Ya really treat us too well!”

The Baron absentmindedly nudged the brick that had caused the whole conversation in the first place.

“Oh, I try. Anyways, Ludwin, would you happen to know any good stonemasons? Mine apparently are begging to be out of a job.”

Ludwin smiled and picked up the fallen brick.

“Well, lucky for you we have a few on payroll. I would be willing to bet that, with enough coin, you could convince my father to part with one or two of them, at least for a while.”

The Baron tapped the space the brick used to occupy, dislodging some grout from the wall and frowning deeply.

“They might have their work cut out for them making castle Bickenstadt ready for sieges again. It's been a hundred years now. I think.”

The Baron turned to leave and nudged a brick with his elbow as he walked, moving it slightly.

“Jesus H Christ, there is a lot of work to do.”

The Baron finally left the corridor, leaving behind just Fergus and Ludwin. Ludwin turned to Fergus bewilderedly.

“Is he…christian?”

“Aye, he told me in Caprae Loco. Didnae explain why though.”

“What a strange man.”

“Aye.”

Ludwin pulled Fergus into a hug.

“Pot calling the kettle black.”

0