The Maverick
24 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Percy's POV

Walking through the halls of the pack house I can't help but think of how lonely and desolate it feels. I understand that everyone's communicating with telepathy and that's what they're comfortable with but, to me the place feels soulless and out of place. "How come I'm not feeling them trying to pry into my mind?" I question Adam while I do circles around him as we walk to the archives. "Cause I'm stopping them, if too many signals are linked at once then the person's head would be in severe pain. And if they put you in pain I'd put them in pain, see that circle of life?" He lowers his body a little while grinning a bit sadistically.

-

"Percy, go see if you can find anything you like, you like to read right? Pick whatever you want while I go find Athena"

"Gotcha, but mind if I ask what the hell all this bleached thread is first...?" I confusingly stare at it and begin to reach for it. "Don't it's Athena's hair, she's called queen of the library cause both her gifts thrive here. The first being her constant control of her hair and the other being her ability to soak up knowledge like a complete sponge, weirdo honestly but she comes in handy once in a while", "Ohhh, I'll try to watch out then"

I walk off just after Adam pulls me back in for a kiss on the cheek and check for all the categories. 'This place is a damn sanctuary if I've ever seen one...which I haven't but that doesn't invalidate my point.' Smiling to myself as I slide my fingers across the books, some dustier than others. Up ahead I notice Athena's hair tentacle things, sliding in and out different books which I presume she's done reading from. So far nothing's truly caught my attention other than some unique titles like "The Primordial era" reading it's summary it talks about a prexisting time, way before we all existed it seems. This book feels new but it should be old as hell right? Moving on I see a column of light in the corner that's flickering and dragging my attention towards it. The book was covered in a red coat of who knows what, "That book isn't readable, sorry to disappoint you". A woman with features resembling Adam comes down from a near throne made of hair that she was probably using to access higher books.

"So you're his mate, hmmm" Her lips dragging on the humming as she begins to examine my face clearer

"And you're his sister?"

"Athena, pleasure to meet you", She speaks proudly as her face still close to mine as she's bending down to come eye level to me

"Why are all of you so damn tall" My self-conscious 5'8 self starting to show itself

"Cause it's an alpha bloodline, can't help these godforsaken genetics cursing my ability to wear heels around men and dwarfing them, now can I? She laughs to herself as she looks over to the book I was just going to read.

"You said it was unreadable right? Mind if I open it and see?"

"Go ahead, our elder basically died for that book so handle it carefully" She pleads with worry in her eyes, she must really love books huh. We're gonna get on well from the looks of it. I reach for the book and much to my displeasure, it isn't opening. I thought she meant unreadable as in the texts were in some ancient language or something but nooope, it's as solid as a rock.

"Open, you literal piece of dead tree" I begin to claw it open with my bare human hands as Athena tries to hide her giggles at my failed attempts.

"I did say, nobody can-" My screams interrupting her. A sharp pain slicing through my hand as my blood begins to trickle down the cover of the book. "WHAT HAPPENED!" a pissed off Adam came sliding around the corner as his eyes dart from Athena to the book and then me now on the floor still grasping it. "It's fine, just a dumb paper cut...from a book that's entirely dull and stiff...what", A page slides out from the book, titled "The Maverick". "Uh...I should read it right?" I question the two as they both nod in anticipation.

Narrator POV

The man who slew the unimaginable beasts and creatures that roamed the plains of old, the man who was unrivalled in his own race, the knight dawning no armour. A simple man who was known as a Hero, a wife who he was planning to have carry his children and who he would defend with the risk of his own life. A wife he loved so dearly he could barely stop himself from showing his obsession of her. But, on the day of his final journey he was found by one of the three beasts, nonetheless the father of them. The stalker of the moon, the beast that chased the sun and their parent, the God bound by the chains of otherworldly matter. He knew who the Hero was and he was jealous of him...his confident stride as he walks, his prideful tone and the swordsmanship that went unrecognised by none. But the egotistical human didn't see through his deceitful words, underestimating the colossal figure who laid eyes shut and body close to the ground as a sign of common sign of weakness among wild animals. "You seek more power I sense your desire, come closer and you shall obtain it." and so the man did, much to his surprise the godly figure wasn't as secure as he believed. Grabbing him in his elongated claws and biting down on the Hero's throat...but not eating him, he filled him with his own blood and then threw his limp body, knowing his fate is sealed and life dismantled beyond repair. With the blood of a god he became ageless...restless an-

-

Percy's POV

"So...that was a thing" I deadpanned with an unhinged jaw expression but annoyed at the page not having any more contents. What else could I think in that moment, my brain can't process all that at once. I turn the book over for a final check and notice some of the letters are uncovered by the red marks. "The sins I carry", signed off with the letters "Orac...".

"I-wasn't aware there were even other gods apart from our Moon Goddess..." Adam says half-heartedly almost as if he doesn't believe his own words which I can't blame him for, I don't think anyone even doubted that it was just her. We just moved along with it and chose to believe without any actual evidence other than the word of our elders...

"Wait that Author, I've seen those letters before. There's another book by the same ones, I believe I gave it to Eden, the first mate of the alpha of Daybreak." Athena begins to ponder off but scrunching up her eyebrows in annoyance

"I'll try and find it once we head back home I guess...Chris our beta can probably access it for us." Placing the book back on it's singular pedestal

"And by the way here you go Adam." Athena hurriedly rushes off after handing him something, once again sitting back in her throne made of hair and being lifted off in the direction she wants. The tendrils of hair she's leaving behind becoming even more erratic as she begins to search for something.

"What's that?" I question

"Maps of the known cursed zones, they haven't changed for years so and I'm firmly aware that there isn't one in the location your friend said you came from...but she had no reason to lie and your friend Thomas was covered in cuts like she described."

"Wait Thomas got hurt!? And I wasn't even told until now?" I alarmingly blare out, seeing what I felt as guilt coming from Adam based off his body turning from me. "I'm sorry, I got completely caught up with being with you I didn't mention it. They're in another room in the pack, let's go visit them"

"Let's go!" I jump onto his back as we begin charging towards...the rooms hopefully.

 

Author's Note: I've always liked the word Maverick, learned it from a Pokemon actually. I just don't remember how lol, enjoy anyways.

1