Sleepwalker
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ryan's POV

"You've been following me around all day, aren't you busy doing anything else?"

"I am, and I'm taking care of it." Keyon's feet continue stepping over my shadow, looming over me as I carry out some basic duties.

"If that's you, still curious as to what I saw for your future then you can stop with it. I didn't see shit and don't understand why you're so persistent on knowing."

"Is that so?" He places his hand on my chest, forcing me into a corner. His towering height over me placing it's own figurative weight on me as is. Lowering his head to lock eyes with me he leans closer, "Try it again, maybe you'll see something different"

I return the stare with a shaky response, "Tha-t's not how that works. We don't choose when we use it, not even Yue's capable of that!-" He places a finger on my lips to silence my yell, causing me to mumble the rest of my words.

Growing annoyed I brush past his arm, "And where are you going now?" he questions me again.

"To Yue, unlike you I clearly have more important stuff to deal with."

"I see" He lingers on acting fulfilled with the answer and instead of following me this time, he looks on from the window of the home, staring at who knows what.

-

Knocking on the door three times before entering I come to the sight of my Alpha and Luna sitting by each other, not speaking but instead in their own form of meditation. "I'm sorry to disturb you, but I found Keyon and Jackson as you asked for."

She opens one eye, briefly glancing at me before standing up with a smile as she picks up her mate. "Thank you Ryan, but I presume that isn't the only thing you came here for?"

"No actually it isn't. The one you called Key-" An arm slides into my vision from behind me, causing me to lift my head up and meet eyes with the man I thought remained by the window. 

"That would be me, I don't believe we got to formally meet. Hello Yue" He holds his hand out to her which she warmly greets. His grasp cutting short compared to our previous one as his eyes wander from Yue to Melanie. "I don't believe I've heard much of this one, is she your mate?" 

She places her down with a surprised expression after realising the sheer height difference between them. "Her name's Melanie, although she can speak for herself of course" She laughs before placing a kiss on her cheek, walking towards the shelves of books and picking one out for herself before sitting back at a desk.

"Isn't she a bit...small for a Luna?" He asks with confusion

"Can you not talk like I'm not right here?" She understandably grows annoyed at the question.

"Apologies, I've just never seen another female Luna other than Eden. Usually an individual grows or develops a biological change after officially claiming a place within the hierarchy, much like Percy?" He explains 

"You're right on that, it's why I'm so protective of her admittingly. We've never come to understand why she didn't gain anything after the mating process was completed." Yue turns to her mate with a look of sympathy. "But she can handle herself from what she's shown, so I don't worry that much of course" 

"Yue please...why does everyone treat me like a fragile doll."

"Because look at Percy, even after all of what's happened he's still losing some sort of battle. Internally or externally, he's vulnerable." She reasons with her, calling her over to stand between her legs.

"Ah, but can't that be said about all of us? One way or another, we're vulnerable whether it be emotionally or physically. Something can find a way to slip inside." He walks over to me, "Even if it's the most minor of inconveniences."

She raises her eyebrow for a second as if trying to analyse something, "Anyway, what was it you wanted to speak about regarding Keyon?"

"Nothing, I was just recommending that you two eventually meet but I guess that's pointless now!" I shrug it off. "I'll be off now, have a good night Alpha." I turn the corner to go but Keyon holds my shoulder.

Staring back at him with an aggravated look from the harsh grasp, I calm myself after realising Yue was about to speak.

"Actually since you two are here, can I be a pain and ask that you look over the edges of the village for us tomorrow? Adam is going to visit his old pack tomorrow, which means someone's going to be accompanying him as far as I'm aware. Alex has been out and the two haven't made contact all day so it'll probably be Yasmine. Leaving us a beta and alpha short for the time being." 

"For sure" 

"For sure" He copies me before smiling and walking away from her office door way. Raising an arm to wave at me.

"Are you two okay working together?" She worryingly asks while brushing Melanie's hair.

"Doesn't it strike you as weird...he came all this way to hear about his pack but doesn't seem the slightest bit bothered by nobody other than you all recognising him?"

"I believe Nimue said the same. But there's not much to say when even within his own pack, he was fairly absent or so I've heard. I can't fault him for it, losing his mate and being forced to look over so many individuals with the best intent of mind." She spins Melanie to face her, grabbing her cheeks and pinching them. "I can't imagine myself, losing my mate and still being able to live...I can't" She zones out a little, shaking herself back to consciousness when Melanie brushes her hands away.

"You pinch too hard!" Her red marked face causing Yue to immediately coo her like a baby after realising the pain she caused her.

"I'm...gonna leave you two be, enjoy the rest of your night. Alpha."

"Goodbye Ryan!" They both call out before I shut the door. Closing off all the light in the hallway and leaving me in complete darkness. Something that I would find discomfort in if it wasn't for the glimmering footprints left by Keyon. 

A momentary flash of my reflected grey eyes in the glass, I follow them. Watching the flame styled imprint turn from a neutral white to a deep purple, one that resembles a sense of jealousy"But why would you be feeling that..." I question out loud, realising the trail is dissipating I hurry alongside it. 

-

Watching the print shift into a an animal like shape, one that isn't uncommon to an obvious alpha. But it doesn't resemble a paw at all. The feet remain almost human with the elongated nails of a wolf...maybe he just didn't want to shift fully, I've had that experience in my life before. "Lazy fucker didn't even want to walk home".

The trail runs through the centre of the darkened village, curving around the statue and towards the spare homes. Noticing a change within the flame's colour once again, I reach down out of curiosity. Throwing my hand back from pain when the new dark red hue sparks to life, step by step I follow it. It's print leading me to the door I presume to be his, examining the door to see a similar markings to the floor except the hand's qualities have changed. 

A small but still audible scratching making itself known, I press a little bit of my weight against the door and forcing it to open. Only to have it slammed back onto my face with aggression, "H-hey Keyon, that you?" I call out with hesitation as I maybe got the wrong door. 

"Hmm" He hums out.

"So it is?" I confirm while watching his shadow from under the door's gap.

"I-It is" He clears his croaked voice, "I'll meet you tomorrow, I'm tired now." He simply states as I listen out for the footsteps of him leaving the door. I turn away after a slight pause, checking the door again in denial that it's actually him. The figure of the shadow still there, looming by the door frame. I extend my hand out only to hear his breath extinguish the flame from within. Removing the shadow's frame from my view. 

Shrugging my shoulders at the exchange I simply make my way back with the intent of coming back here tomorrow. 

-

Nimue's POV

"Alright Percy you sneak into bed, I'm not about to get slandered by Adam for returning you back this late" I whisper to him with a smirk, slapping him up the stairs as he looks at me with cold eyes.

"You're the one who wanted to talk to Cerberus!"

"Shhh, I don't see how that's relevant at all. Go to sleep before you wake everyone up" I pick up Jackson's hand, sprinting away from the scene as quietly as I can. Feeling my face form a smug grin as I open up the pack's main doors...and bumping into Adam.

"You've been in the underworld that long?" He raises his eyebrow at me

"Yes, it was all Percy's fault. We just had to find answers for him!" I plead, sliding around him and winking at Percy's gaping mouth expression. Responsibilities who? I'm as free as can be. Running along the path I look back to see the doors shut and all the lights turned off, looks like even the wolves are sleeping huh. Maybe I did talk for a little bit too long. 

-

Spotting a figure in the dark I wave, cause who wouldn't? His frame coming into one of the road lights to become the recognisable Ryan. "Ryan! You heading to bed too?"

"Indeed I am, goodnight Nimue. And Jackson...right?" He recalls his name. Receiving a small thumbs up from Jackson as a response.

"G'night, see you in the morning." I unlock the door to my home, letting him in first. 

"You good setting yourself up back in your room Jackson?"

"Yeah thanks, and thanks for today" He smiles as his figure turns to go down the hallway and out of my sight. 

Taking out my hair once again I focus on the sounds of his steps...echoing? Poking my head back into the corridor to see the door close behind him without hesitation. Brushing it off I take the book back from the shelf after Gabriela mentioned it again. Opening it up but again, nothing but scribbles and unrecognisable characters other than a few words of English every now and then.

"I...Never..." I barely make out, receiving a headache from the strained thought I decide to put it back. Tossing over and blowing out the flame for the night.

0