80. A Name?
109 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

  John continues to practice his new technique. Every so often, explosions and sparks are seen up the hill. At first, the villagers were uncomfortable, but now they are used to it. Even today, John is working on his technique.

  ‘Hmm, if I spin it around, the centrifugal force may keep the energies apart long enough not to blow up in my leaves?’ John contemplates, ‘well, I’ll just try it.’ He then launches the earth and sun energy while spinning it. The energy twirls and then falls into each other, causing a pop and sparks to fly. Then they pull away and repeat. ‘Well, it’s a better firework at least…’

  John’s focus waivers once again as he looks at the flag above. “Oh, if there is a flag, we need a name!”

  “Ummoo,” Joe states while pausing from eating.

  “Of course, a name is important! How would anyone know who you are if I didn’t name you,” John points out.

  The demonic bull stands up proudly with his horns high in the air. “Moo.”

  John points at Joe and laughs, “Yeah, everyone knows who you are anyway. You’re that fat bull that is often mistaken for a boulder.”

  “Moou huf ugh,” Joe retorts while digging his hoof into the ground.

  “If you can find a new bush that can make the grass grow, feel free to change me out,” John says, unafraid.

  Joe suddenly runs into the forest, confusing all the villagers. Then John sends his voice to them, “I believe that we need a name now that we have a flag.”

  The villagers pause what they are doing. Gregory looks over at the hill and says, “I understand that a name can be useful for dealing with outsiders, but is it necessary here?”

  John responds, “I think it’s a good idea. At the very least, it will give you all something to rally around. So everyone, please think of some names, and we will consider them tonight.”

  Some take this news enthusiastically while others don’t care much. Still, everyone makes sure to come up with at least one name. That night everyone gathers in the village square. Everyone except for Laurel, who has been staying home since the incident a few weeks ago.

  “Alright, let's go, youngest to oldest. Donna, what name did you come up with?” John starts the meeting.

  Donna jumps up and waves at the hill, “Fluffy playground! Donna Village! Ball town. Pimple town,” She giggles before continuing to list off a variety of equally funny and random names finishing with, “Daddy village.”

  At some point, John starts to think this is a bad idea, and his branches droop. Once Donna finishes, he perks back up and states, “Thank you, Donna, for that extensive list. You did a good job.”

  “Yay! Daddy, I won!” Donna exclaims while hugging Wilbur’s leg.

  Wilbur rubs the girl's head and reminds her, “It’s not a competition.”

  “Ahem, in consideration of time, could the rest of you please keep your suggestions to the best ones,” John advises.

  Louis went with, “Handsome town.” Roy then said, “Moon Iron city.” Finally, Douglas says, “Tree village.”

  From there, the rest of the villagers also give their names. John listens with displeasure. ‘No one is saying anything about me. Shouldn’t it be Bush town or Bush on the hill village? These people have no taste!’ John complains to himself. Then he realizes Laurel hasn’t given a name yet.

  “What do you think, Laurel?”

  Laurel is sitting in the corner of her house, her messy black hair covering her face. “Is it really alright for me to give a name?” Laurel asks in a whisper.

  “Of course, you’re a citizen of the village too,” John says soothingly. He then sends his voice just to Mellisa, “You should go home.” Mellisa looks around in confusion, then quickly makes an excuse and goes home.

  Laurel nods into her knees. “I remember running through the forest. I think someone yelled. There’s a clearing ahead. Me and mom just happened to be nearby. We saw the light of the sun coming through the trees. Even though there was no reason for us to believe there would be safety there. I felt like if we could just make it, we’d be safe…” She pauses and wipes away some tears.

  Laurel then continues, “At that time, I thought it was a miracle. But it was just my eyes, right? I pulled mom over, not knowing why. But now part of me just wishes we died there.” Laurel begins to wail, “I’m a horrible person. I should at least let my mom live!”

  At this moment, Mellisa rushes in and hugs Laurel to her chest. “Come now, don’t say that. What would I do if you died? What would be the point!”

  Both mother and daughter cry until they have no more tears left. After Laurel calms down, she sees her desperate mother cling to her. She’d fallen asleep, all her energy used up. However, Laurel still felt strong. She’d been training hard, and the divide between her and the others continued to expand.

  Laurel pats her mom gently and then says in a raspy voice. “My name is Light Clearing. I hope it brings happiness and safety to everyone within.”

  John had sent everyone home while the two women cried. In the morning, he announced his vote for Light Clearing, which, after some debate, was chosen as the official name.

-------------------

  In another location, a few men with worn uniforms and sacks over their heads as disguise look at an old military storage yard. It is a place where defunct equipment is stored.

  One man asks, “Are you sure it’s ok?”

  Another retorts, “Yeah, this place has already been searched. No one is even guarding it anymore.”

  A third man questions, “Is the thing still there? If it’s not, it doesn’t do us any good.”

  “I told you I’ve already scouted it’s here for sure!”

  “Fine. Tomorrow I’ll gather all the men. We are running out of time. They will be marching soon. We must beat them there!” The first man commands.

  “Yes, sir!” The men around salute.

 

Sorry for the late release. I'll strive to get them out earlier.

This was a hard chapter to write. So I'm happy I finished it. In the past I would have gotten depressed and not finished anything and feel worse for failing. But excuses like that don't do you guys any good!

So what made this chapter hard? I thought it would be funny to have everyone fight over a name. But in the end it wasn't that interesting and it was wordy nothing. I think if this was live action or animation it might work. You'd have people talk over each other and a bit of slap stick. But when written down it just seemed to drag. I also couldn't think of enough funny names any ways.

However in the end I came up with the Laurel scene to end things off. So while it's a bit of a downer after the funny moments I'm happy with the chapter. I wasn't sure about the last part it may give even more emotional whip lash. But it's already planned for this chapter and it's important to keep the readers up to date on some things going on in the outside so when it comes up later it won't be like he pulled that out of his backside.

Also the chapter would have been a bit too short. It stills a bit short in comparison to my average but it did get over a thousand which is my goal.

7