90 Mining expedition
95 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Isabella drags Laurel to her rucksack. Tied to the top is a blanket so rounded by canvas. She unhooks them and lays out the canvas.

"These often get thrown away along with the coat by new recruits. One hot day and everyone thinks they don't need anything," Isabella explains as her head drifts over to a nearby soldier with grey hair.

"It was boiling that day, alright! It was thirty years ago," the man retorts.

"Nobody said anything. When you stop acting like everyone's out to get you, you might evolve from brat to kid!" Isabella exclaims with a triumphant cackle.

Isabella then returns to her demonstration taping two canteens on her rucksack and one on her belt. "Water is worth the extra weight. You're still in good shape if you lose everything else but these."
Laurel nods and smiles, unsure how to respond to this outrageous woman.

The scarred woman continues through her pack showing a variety of utensils. As this goes on, Joe lumbers over to the group. She continues her witty explanations until she reaches her pack of food. Wrapped in paper, they have a slightly unpleasant smell. "When you're in the army, what you consider edible changes. But my rule is if it's salted, grin and eat. If it's tasty, better leave it," Isabela intones with a rhythmic voice.

"I prefer tasty food," Laurel states with pouty lips.

"That's what all the men say. But let me tell you a secret," Isabel states while leaning in with her hand cupped around her mouth.

Laurel leans in curiously as Isabela whispers, "good tasting food makes you fat! That's why husbands always get fat after marriage."

Laurel blinks dumbfounded as Isabela guffaws a "Moo!" sounds out, and soon after horn sounds, snapping Isabela out of her revelry. "It's time, girl!" the soldier woman yells as she repacks with practiced precision. She hefts a large spear on her shoulder and lines up with the rest of the soldiers.

Another horn sounds the march, and they begin the exhibition. They trudge through the uneven terrain with ease while the kids trip over themselves. They quickly follow the destruction left by Ellanor to the treasure cave. No demonic beast dares attack the herd of a powerful demonic beast like Joe.

Back on the hill, John waits for everyone to leave before sighing in relief. "I can finally get back to practicing," he says to no one in particular.

'I only have a few days before they return. I need to get this down before then,' John thinks as he ponders his new technique. First, he creates a thin strip of yin energy. John then sandwiches the yin energy between the earth and sun energy. With a bit of tension, John shoots it out from one of his branches.

A half firey and half brown leaf flies about a foot out as the stem of yin energy dissolves. The moment the two energy touch, a small explosion occurs. Everyone left in the village jumps at the noise. "Don't worry, I'm just testing my new technique," John explains to everyone.

With things settled, John continues to practice putting just a bit more yin energy in and measuring the distance. Not long after starting, John becomes exhausted. 'The loss of energy during the accident is worse than I thought. Will I be able to get this down before they return?' John worries.

A day passes, and then another. John slowly tests out the amount of energy he needs for each distance. 'The technique is still in its infancy, but I think it's pretty consistence at short range. Perhaps it's worth naming? It'll impress that dumb bull if I come up with something grand. Like heaven and earth sundering leaf?'

As John widdles away, Franklin is disappointed at how simple the trip is going. 'No attacks, no discoveries, no excitement.' Franklin grumbles to himself while kicking the floor. The mining has already begun, and well, it's slow going. It's producing results.

Ernest sees Franklin loitering in the camp and calls out to him. "What's wrong, kid?"

"I just thought there'd be more action. Last time we came, I had to fight wolves and snakes."

Ernest laughs and pats the boy on the shoulder, "I'd prefer it this way. The last thing we need is casualties before the big battle. With your village's guardian spirit, we have nothing to fear."

"I understand, but."

"But you're bored, huh?" Ernest asks while rubbing his face scar, "I suppose we were planning on training, you kids. We got a bit side-tracked, but no time like the present!"

"Really!" Franklin exclaims while hopping for joy.

"Yeah, I'll have Isabela been driving everyone insane in the mines so she can keep you kids entertained," Ernest says contemplatively. He then calls over to a soldier standing guard, "Hey, go get Isabela. I have a job for her."

The man runs in, and Ernest gathers up the kids and equips them with shields and spears. A short wait later, Isabela exits the mine waving happily. "What do you need, Ernest?"

"I need help with the kids. They're bored, and I promised to train them," Ernest explains while gesturing toward Franklin, Louis, and Laurel.

Isabela slaps Ernest on the back. "So you're leaving it to me? Lazy as ever," Isabela states.

Ernest rubs his scar with a conflicted look. "If you don't want."

"Can't be helped. If you leave it to Ernest, it'll never get done. To busy trying to die," Isabela hoots as she shoves Ernest out of the way. "Why are you still here?"

Ernest sighs. "I was just going to check on the mine. Good luck!" Ernest hollers as he retreats.

Hello, things are still a bit in the air for me. I'll be back on daily releases 5/23/2022. Should be a few releases between now and then. This was written on the phone. Please let any errors go. But feel free to tell me so I can fix them faster!

Thanks for reading!

8