93 Returning Home
64 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

  During the next day, John continues to test out his attack. 'I guess the problem is that I can't focus enough at the Fractured Seed stage. If I close off my senses, I can get the attack to go a bit farther. But the gains aren't worth being blind. This means I can't be in the fight until they reach the hill. Won't the battle be over by then?' John contemplates. His branches droop in frustration as the ground suddenly shakes.

  "What's going on?" John asks into the void. Then he sees nearby trees smashed into the ground. A fat demonic bull gallops towards the hill. His tongue flaps out of the side of his mouth as a river of drool flows behind him. Every leap Joe takes sends his belly down into the earth, creating divots everywhere he goes.

  John shakes his leaves in disbelief. "Joe, did you abandon the mission for your stomach?" John accuses.

  "Moo moo munch munch muoo," Joe responds as he reaches the bush.

  "You're already stuffing your face! Are you that worried about losing a pound or two?" John then strains to look over at where the oversized demonic bull came from. "You say they are right behind you. But how far behind you are they?"

  "Moo," Joe states without interest as he gorges himself.

  "A few hours ago at that pace?" John can't help but feel his trunk hurt. "That's more than half a day."

  Joe looks over at the bush, unconvinced, "Moouoh."

  John waves his branch at Joe accusingly. "It's you! You're the lazy one. They had to take breaks because they aren't as strong as you."

  Munch, chew, munch. Joe eats while giving the bush a sidelong look.

  "They better be fine," John harrumphs.

  A tense day continues until, finally, the kids and Isabela return. Everyone sighs in relief as they go to welcome them back.

  "Mom!" Laurel exclaims as she runs over. She wraps her arms around Mellisa in a loving hug.

  Anna pats Franklin on the shoulders, "did you learn a lot?"

  Franklin nods, "I learned a lot!"

  Vickie ruffles Louis's hair. "Look at you all sweaty and dirty," She says while laughing.

  Isabella smirks and pats Louis’s shoulder. “He’s growing up into a real man.”

  Laurel pulls away from her mom and looks at her with concern, "mom, you're not looking so good."

  Vickie responds worriedly, "she hasn't been eating since you left. We forced her to eat yesterday."

  Laurel is shocked and stands there with her mouth agape for a moment. "Mom, what are you thinking?"

  "If you're going to kill yourself, I don't need to live either," Melisa states with dark eyes.

  "I don't intend to die," Laurel says.

  Melisa grabs her daughter tightly. "We can run. There is no need for this farse."

  "It's not a farce," Laurel replies, squeezing her mother's hand.

  Melissa's shoulders sag, and she rests her body on her daughter.

  "I love you,” Laurel whispers.

  "I love you too. That's why I'm so adamant. You should listen to me."

  "Mom, don't be so dejected. I know you care about me, but don't destroy your life," Laurel says while gently rubbing Mellisa's shoulders.

  "If it helps you see the light, I'll do anything,” Mellisa declares.

  Laurel's eyes glow as she speaks. Her voice erupts with an unnatural might. "This is destined and revenge. I will not step back." Melissa reals in surprise.

  John sends his voice into Laurel's head. "Laurel, control yourself before you do something you regret again!"

  Laurel's eyes widen. "Sorry," she mumbles, looking at the ground to the right.

  Mellisa grimaces. "That's enough. Let's go home so you can rest."

  "Alright," Laurel nods as she allows her mom to take her away.

  After the kids settle in, John contacts them, "What did you think of our new allies?"

  Franklin says, "they're strong and knowledgable, so I think they'll be a big help."

  Laurel says, "They're excited about the fight, especially Isabela. But I feel like they are monitoring us."

  Louis states at the same time. "They seem to have a death wish, so I'm a little worried."

  "One at a time! It's hard to hear what you're saying!" John complains.

  Franklin looks confused. "I'm the only one talking, though."

  'Talking to them at the same time was a mistake. Since I'm the only one that can hear everyone,' John thinks while flailing his branches.

  "moo," Joe says, looking at the insane bush.

  "I'm not dancing, ok?" John retorts.

  John listens to each kid individually while thinking, 'death troops are powerful. But if they are suicidal, they may not take defense seriously. They seem to suspect that we have a secret, but that isn’t a problem.' "It's something we'll have to confront them on. But it's not the worst-case scenario."

  Louis sighs and wonders aloud, "Maybe we should run."

  John responds, "that's for you all to decide."

  "You act like it doesn't concern you," Louis replies, depressed.

  "I'm but a humble bush. Even if I wished to flee, I can not," John explains with a sagely smugness.

  "Won't you be in trouble if we don't fight?" Louis asks with a furrowed brow.

  John considers his words and then sends them to Louis. “I will worry about you all. However, there is no telling how they will treat me. With this big bull here, they will find themselves quite unwelcomed.”

  Louis shakes his head. “Won’t they kill him?”

  “I will be pretty impressed if they can kill him, but that would be a mistake. Without your guardian spirit, the forest inhabitants will go berserk.”

  “Will they not fear the humans that killed him?”

  John shakes his leaves in the negative. “Demonic beasts are different from humans, especially in their lower stages. They will not understand anything other than the strong aura has disappeared. If a powerful cultivator squats on the hill and unleashes his might, they will stay away, just like with this giant boulder. But does this red river army have such an idle powerhouse?”

  Louis nods. “I don’t think they have anyone as strong as our guardian spirit at all.”

  “Ha, there is no reason to speculate that your enemy is weak. But if they do, they will not want to be a hermit in the middle of a forest,” John states jovially.

  “Thanks for listening to me,” Louis says, looking at the ground, embarrassed.

  John responds, “you always act like the leader around the kids, but that doesn’t mean you don’t have worries. You shouldn’t fear to speak them.”

  “I will take your advice.”

  After talking to the children, John considers how best to prepare for the coming battle.

6