Chapter 27.5: Extra: The beast that sleeps within
82 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hey everyone! It was a very busy week and I got a bit sick as well, so I couldn't write so much, but I wrote an Extra Chapter for you all which I hope you enjoy =3  This week we travel back to the past of one of our Characters! Happy reading ;D

 

Edited by: Waning_Crescents


In a small village located in the Keika mountains, the sun beamed down onto the streets. The cold winter and chilly spring nights had finally ended, welcoming the warm summer days. The flowers perked up, the grass spread far and wide, transforming the village into an astonishing painting hung on a wall. At this time of the year, people felt alive again. They hustled and bustled through the streets to either buy goods at the markets or to earn their daily income with a smile on their faces, and were full of energy. Among these crowds, kids were running around, laughing and playing with their friends. Some even picked some flowers, making beautiful crowns for their loved ones.

A kid jerked his head to the side as a twelve-year-old adolescent with blue shimmering in his short but disheveled black hair and bruises on his face pushed through the people with his head hung low.

“Hey Lara, isn’t this the kid from your class that almost killed that bully the other day?” One of the kids whispered to his friends.

The little girl nodded. “Yeah, his name is Nowe. I saw everything…it was terrifying.”

“What a psycho!” Another scoffed. “Better stay away from him or you might end up dead.”

Everyone nodded in agreement.

Little Nowe glanced with teary eyes at the watchful gazes of his schoolmates before he quickened his pace. I just wanted to protect my friends.

 

***

 

It had been the last day of school before summer break. Little Nowe’s face glowed with delight as he talked to his friends, making all kinds of plans for the upcoming days. Making friends had always been hard for him, so this time he was sure that things would finally lighten up and he could be like any other kid, enjoying his summer break with his buddies. Alone the thought of all the fun they would have made his heart almost jump out of his chest. He was too excited!

“Hey!” A bulky kid, along with his four friends blocked their path with a confident grin on their faces as they left the school grounds. “You still need to pay your tribute to us.”

“What?” Nowe raised one eyebrow.

“It’s the end of the school year, everyone has to pay up!”

“Says who?”

“Nowe, don’t.” The little girl, who hid behind him, shook her head. “These are the bullies from the class above us, they can make your life a living hell if you refuse.”

“Listen to the little girl.” The bulky kid cracked his knuckles. “Do as I say and you three can go home.”

“How much money do you have Lara, Nowe?” Theo glanced at them.

“No!” Nowe knitted his eyebrows. “I won’t let them get away with that. They have no right to take our money.”

“Nowe, please.” The girl teared up. “It’s fine, I can pay.”

“No, Lara.” A bright smile appeared on Nowe’s face. “I will protect you and Theo. Leave it to me!”

Nowe stepped in front of his friends with a serious expression on his face. “Fight me. If you lose, you will leave us alone.”

The bulky kid laughed out loud. “Really? You think you can win? That is funny.” His lips changed into a provoking smile. “Fine, but don’t run to your mom crying cause you got hurt.”

Nowe ignored his provocation and took his stance before he rushed at him. Both exchanged blows left and right. The bulky kid landed a few blows on Nowe’s face and body, but this one didn’t back down at all, brushing it off as if it was nothing.

“I-impossible.” The bulky kid stammered in confusion. His stamina was almost depleted, he was just a kid after all. Blood trickled from his nose and little bruises became visible on his cheeks. “You are not bad at all, but don’t get cocky!” He dashed at Nowe again, but this one just took some blows and returned them twofold without any exhaustion discernable on his face.

The fight continued for a little while longer under the gazes of the other kids around them. However, while the bully got more and more tired, Nowe just seemed to gain in strength until a nasty blow sent the bulky kid to the ground. Lara and Theo cheered, everyone thought this was the end of the battle, but right at this moment Nowe stepped over the bully, taking a seat on his tummy. His eyes dilated as he stared in silence at his opponent.

“What’s wrong with Nowe?” Lara stuttered, a little frightened.

Theo shook his head. “I dunno, I have never seen him like that.”

The bulky kid widened his eyes as his gaze met Nowe’s. “I…I give up. I lost, I lost!”

However, these words fell on deaf ears as if Nowe didn’t hear or didn’t want to hear him. In the next second, fists rained down on the bully’s face without restraint. Blood splattered around, causing the kid to wince in pain, but Nowe kept going like a wild beast ready to kill its prey.

 

When he returned to his senses, he noticed his blood-soaked knuckles and the pain that coursed through his body; then the terrified and shocked faces of his friends before he realized what he had done. “I…”

“You monster!” Lara shouted at him, tears streaming down her face, while Theo tried to calm her, leading her away.

Nowe stood there in shock, regret filling his heart. N-Not again…I swore I wouldn’t…

“I didn’t mean to…I just wanted to protect you.” He screamed after them, but the response he received from his friends shattered his little heart into pieces.

“Stay away from us! You are crazy!!”

 

***

 

“We just settled in and this happened. Every time we have to move because of him, what is wrong with that kid?” Little Nowe crouched at the stairs, listening to his parents bickering.

“I know, but I am sure he didn’t mean to,” his mother said in an attempt to excuse her son’s behavior.

“You always say that, but we always end up moving because people stare at us as if we are monsters. Do you even know how hard it is to get a job with this reputation? Every time he promises he won’t do that again, but in the end nothing ever changes. I am at my wits end with him. Something is wrong with that kid.” His father burst out in anger.

“Dear…”

“No, we must do something, or this will never end. We need help or we might fall prey to him one day as well.”

“Please, let me talk to him. Give him one more chance.”

His father fell into silence for a moment before he replied, “That’s his last chance! If it happens again, I will send him away.” Then he stomped down the hall, entered a room and slammed the door shut.

His mother let out a saddening sigh as she spotted Nowe by the staircase. “You heard, huh?”

“I am sorry…” Nowe said, shivering in a low voice full of regret. “I just wanted to help my friends…I am really sorry.” He sniffled as tears rolled down his cheeks. “I…I also would never hurt you.”

His mother walked up to him, wrapping her arms around his little body. “I know, hun, but you need to be more careful with your strength. You are stronger than most other kids, so you must also take responsibility, you understand?”

Nowe nodded, while he buried his face into her chest. “I won’t ever do that again. I promise, this time I will not disappoint you.”

0