Chapter 01 – Preparing for the Last Mission
700 5 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the year 2045, a terrorist organization named the League of Monarchs (LoM) took over some of the world's top countries and established their stronghold against the rest of the world. They kept invading other nations’ borders to increase chaos and their military power & landholding.

Under United Nations (UN) other nations came together to defend themselves and fight against the LoMs. UNs military had been fighting tooth and nail against LoM. Little by little LoMs started showing signs of getting weaker as time passed. Since then war is going on till today December 24th, 2068.

////////////

In a room with enough light lit on the ceiling to shower the room in warm and mild light sat a man on the bed. He was holding a Silver metallic-coloured tablet in his hand. He was reading the message that he got, it was information about his next mission that he needs to go on the next day. After reading it for a while he placed the tablet on the small dark brown rectangular table beside his bed. Then he laid on his back on the bed, such that letting his legs hang down towards the floor and his arms stretching over his head.

(Sigh)

So they finally found it and want me to be the guinea pig for them to get that thing.” He mumbled to himself in an aged and tired voice.

He was an orphan, it was hard to live alone but still, he kept hard working to earn a living for himself until he got himself joined in UN military when Anti-LoMs Defense recruitment started. He never had any bad habits, he never got into any relationships knowing that he might not come alive from one of the missions disappointing his partner for life.

Since his joining till now he has completed many missions. Most of them were missions that were meant to be completed by the veteran spec ops team but he completed them alone. And in them, there were some martyr missions also. He was now 38 years old but due to injuries, he has suffered his body looked to be in its 50s. Due to his profile, he was given the code name IMMORTAL WOLVERINE. His real name was John with no surname. He is a man of commitment man of focus.

The UN wanted to win the war against LoMs and they could have won it earlier with lesser causalities but after receiving secret information two decades ago they slowed the war. This information was related to the evolution of mankind, it said that in one of the secret labs of LoMs there was an experiment going on with human beings to create superhumans. And it also mentioned that they are not far from their first success. Since then UN Board at the top is divided between two sides, one who wants to end this war as soon as possible and the other who wants to get their hands on the research to create superhumans first before attacking. Since then war is progressing slowly.

Today he got a message about the mission mentioning that the UN military has found the secret lab where the experiment is going on and they want me to infiltrate the lab and get the research for the UN. They want to send him disguised as a civilian and be a test subject for the experiment.

“If I go there then there is a 100% chance that I will be experimented on.”

“ And there has been no news about any person who survived the experiment till today.” 

“So, it is a mission which I’m sure is and will be my last.” He talked to himself gazing at a moth that was flying near one of the ceiling lights.

He was sure that the UN will send backup for him, no for the data not him as he is supposed to die after handing the data either from the experiment or at hands of his backup team. This is why he did his mission alone he never trusted his back to those power-hungry hyenas at the top.

“Now that I know this will be my last mission then why shouldn’t I blow the lab with the fucking data itself.” He sneered as his eyes shined in the craziness. Who knew what they will do when they get their hands on the research data.

 He got up and took out his phone. He has two phones and this one was with an untraceable featured phone that he build himself. He dialled a number. The call went one.

“ Hey Mark, I need a few micro-nukes by tomorrow near the bunker in my private runway” 

“Hey John, at least confirm who is on the other end before saying that stuff, what will I do if my wife finds out about those nukes.” A middle-aged voice sounded from the other end.

“You think Maria doesn't know what type of stuff her husband creates. I'm not the right person to say this but women know about their man more than he knows about himself and Maria is a hell of a woman you got. ”

“ I don't need to hear man-women love bullshit from you. Anyway why do you want it”

  

“You know mark how a moth can’t stop itself from flying toward the light even knowing that the light might be the fire that will burn him. The same is happening to me. I got a final mission, a suicide mission that will end this war. It is to steal research on LoMs from their lab. ” He said in a self-mocking and confident voice while observing the moth.

 “I was always kept thinking about how you came in one piece every single time after your missions. Maybe it was all fate. Maybe the earth will be saved by your hands after all.” Mark said.

"The only thing I feel sorry about is that the world wouldn't know about what you have done. All thanks will go to all the people sitting at the high table." Mark was disappointed with the current UN.

“Ask anything John, I will give you everything I have for free. At least this much I can do for the earth. ” 

“Thank Mark but I don't need much stuff just the old camouflage gear, a pistol, and 6 Mini-Nukes.” A natural smile came to John's face, Mark was the only friend he could trust in his life with. "By the Mark, if I'm dead then please transfer my property and all cash balance in the bank to yours. I have already nominated you as my nominee."

 “You could have donated it to a charity you know, instead of giving it to me.” Mark felt a bit awkward about how his friend just nominated everything of his to him.

“I have done enough for this world, And you two are the only close ones I know. Send the stuff by tomorrow morning. I need to go prepare for tomorrow this will be my last time talking to you buddy. I hope the best for you and Maria. Take care of yourself.” he ended the call, he didn't LET Mark say anything knowing how awkward it can be saying farewell. He crushed the phone into pieces with his bare hands. he might be old but he still got power in him.

 

(phew) He smiled looking at the bright moon in the night through the window.

//////////

The next day he rode his hummer to his private runway, there he went to a hanger where a Black and beautiful modified B-2 was parked. It was a marvellous piece of art. Then went to check the gear that he ordered from Mark. It was exactly what he ordered plus a card saying “Best of Luck to my Best Friend Forever”. He smiled as he picked the card up and turned it over. The other side of the card was a photo of him, Mark and Maria together. This picture was taken during one of the thanksgiving celebrated at Mark's home in the past.

He took out a lighter and burned the photo to ashes. He did not want to feel sad during his last mission. He walked towards his pilot who was doing his last checkup on the B-2, his name was Mr James Bond. He is an old veteran that he got to know during a mission. After that mission, Mr James saw talent in me so he offered to train me to his best capabilities. 

"John, you sure you want to do this?" James asked narrowing his eyebrows.

John came up with a plan to infiltrate the enemy's land by dropping dozens of bombs and he will be inside one of the bombs. This will make LoMs think that we are just attacking one of their bases. This plan has a high failure percentage as he might die due impact of landing.

"Don't worry James you have trained me well and know I like dangers." He smiled and assured his piolet and his mentor.  

" Okey let's get ready" He started suiting up. 

"Pistol checked, Amour checked and my mini- candies also checked." He Said as he consumed a plastic packet containing 6 mini-nukes that he and Mark secretly developed.

Each mini-nukes were the size of a human nail that can destroy everything within a 1 km radius of the explosion. This can not be detected by ordinary means unless seen via eyes.

He will be planting this nuke from within the lab. And the only problem he has to face is to bring them inside the lab and hide them before he has to go through the experiment.

After checking once again he boarded the plane and gave the signal to James that it was time.

9