Chapter 1: Return
56 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"What happened next Uncle Juneau??" said a green haired boy.

 

"You've heard this story plenty of times already, Clovus, you know what happens next," replied the man in his mid-twenties who was wearing a purple brocade robe.

 

"I know, but I wanna hear it again! Please," pleaded Clovus, his verdant-silver eyes turning all puppy-like, creating an expression that no adult could resist. "Come on Pama you beg too," he whispered to the water buffalo his back was resting on top of.

 

Pama, the water buffalo, also turned towards Juneau, trying to give his best puppy eyes as well, its hazel eyes glistening with water.

 

It was a sight to behold to Juneau every time the water buffalo showed more intelligence than any other farm animal is supposed to, but eventually he gave in. "Fine, but the two of you need to go to bed once I'm finished," Juneau said in a stern voice.

 

Clovus giggled and whispered to Pama, "Hehe, Uncle used his 'stern' voice," and looked back towards Juneau and responded, "Okay Uncle, we promise to go to sleep right after." Pama agreed by flapping its ears.

 

"Okay, where did we leave off? Oh that’s right. The first humans arrived at the spire, which as you know are called [Libraries], and the [Library] was very bare, no decorations or furniture besides the counter that is present in all [Libraries]. After the Sacred Ancestors reached the pedestal, the first person to lay their hand upon the Ghrim Orb was Sacred Ancestor Magne. He gained the first ever [Grimoire], gaining various abilities like controlling the elements of darkness, ice, lightning, and wind, as well as manipulating metal, poison, and the terrain. Sacred Ancestor Magne also enhanced these abilities and turned them into new abilities: [Puppetry], which granted sentience to puppets that were created by the Ghrim, growing and controlling fungi, and the ability to communicate through the mind, [Psychokinesis].

 

"The second person that received a Grimoire was Sacred Ancestor Erik. He was granted abilities completely opposite from that of Sacred Ancestor Magne. His abilities allowed him to control the elements of light, fire, water, and earth. Sacred Ancestor Erik also created new abilities, one that could control plants and the weather, heal people, and ability to move objects with one's mind, [Telekinesis]," continued Juneau. He recounted the tales of the Sacred Ancestors with a hint of wonder in his voice. You could tell that he admired these two people.

 

"After each of the humans in the group had their try in obtaining a book, and realizing that the [Grimoire] was only granted to certain individuals, they decided to create a settlement around the [Library]," Juneau stated.

 

"Which then led to the creation of the human continent Elchron! Right Uncle," Clovus interjected with a smile.

 

"See! You already know the story," Juneau replied as he rolled his eyes, "but yes, that settlement eventually led into becoming the 'human sanctuary' continent of Elchron. They had explored further into the wild, and encountered more and more spires, none bigger than the first and each being further and further away. After each founding of [Library], they established new borders that expanded the territory of the humans.

 

"Eventually after many years, more and more humans began to emerge from the mountain range of Montserrat, and the established lands of Elchron really started to prosper," Juneau's expression turned a bit grim after saying this, "but with so many humans coming in, there was bound to be many differing views of how the country should be managed.

 

"Sacred Ancestor Magne believed that the people should be free to determine everything, a chance where every voice is heard. Sacred Ancestor Erik believed that only the strong should determine how the country should progress. Neither one of the Sacred Ancestors would back down from their ideals, so they decided to split-up the country to avoid unnecessary fighting. This would grant both parties what they wanted without hindering the other. Thus, creating the two countries of Tarven and Yardis," ended Juneau. He looked over at Clovus, who was ready to spew the rest of the story, and asked, "Do you want to finish the story?"

 

"Okay!" Clovus replied enthusiastically. Juneau knew this was his favorite part of the story.

 

Clovus took over the story, "The two groups were still angry with each other for some reason, even when they had their own lands. They still couldn't agree with each other. All that anger with each other built up until they couldn't take it anymore and a full war was started," Clovus made a sad expression as he said this.

 

"With the strong abilities given by [Grimoires], many people died and lots of the land they obtained was destroyed... even after hundreds of years, the two countries are still fighting with one another. But because of all the fighting, the ravaged lands became a neutral zone for people who wanted to avoid the war," Clovus started to smile now, "That's where we live now! The third 'country,' Iben!"

 

Juneau picked the story up from there. "That's right," smiling in reply. "Although the majority of Iben is inhabitable, the founders of this village stumbled upon a secret [Library], creating the village of Apis around it. This [Library] did not have the appearance as other [Libraries], it did not reach into the sky, instead it was the size of a two-story building. The founders of this village were a single clan trying to escape their fate of becoming cannon fodder to the war. They were a small but prominent clan within the country of Tarven, but they did not want to be fighting in a pointless war their entire lives.

 

"The family found the [Library] and made this village, they have been taking care of these lands for a few generations now. Accepting any others who stumble upon the village and wanting to stay. Your family included," Juneau smiled towards Clovus.

 

Clovus smiled in response, "OUR family, you're included Uncle!"

 

"Yeah, yeah 'our' family. Okay, it's getting really late now. You have a big day tomorrow so get all the rest you can."

 

"Okay," Clovus said with an exasperated sigh. He got up from laying on Pama and walked towards Juneau, giving his uncle a peck on the cheek and giving him a hug before heading towards his bed.

 

Juneau followed him to his bed and tucked him into the covers. Pama trailed behind them and jumped onto the bed once Clovus was tucked in. Juneau rubbed the ashen-grey fur of the carabao's forehead; Pama licked his hand before Juneau got a chance to withdraw it. "Goodnight Pama. Goodnight Clovus, " and kissed Clovus' forehead while wiping his saliva'd hand on his robes.

 

"Goodnight Uncle," Clovus said while closing his eyes. Pama rested his head on Clovus' legs. Before Juneau could move away, Clovus opened his eyes and asked one last question, "Do you know when my parents are coming back?"

 

"They should be coming back any minute, but you already know. They will be very tired from their patrol. Come now, get some sleep," whispered Juneau. He suddenly tilted his to the side, like he heard something.

 

Instead of walking towards the door, Juneau summoned his [Grimoire]. It flashed once and he vanished from his spot, not giving Clovus a chance to ask anymore questions.

 

Clovus sighed and spoke to Pama, "Do you think I'll become one of them Pama?"

 

Pama raised his head and looked towards Clovus with a hint of concern in his eyes.

 

"It's not like I wouldn't mind becoming one of them, it's just a lot of responsibility that comes with it. Even after obtaining one, I might not have any abilities manifest... I don't wanna disappoint anyone," Clovus confessed.

 

Pama began to nuzzle his arm. Clovus took the hint and started to rub Pama's forehead. "I guess we'll have to wait until tomorrow, I wonder if Master Resh will give me a day off? Mmm. Probably not," saying that, Clovus stopped petting Pama and laid back down, closing his eyes for sleep.

 

***

 

As Clovus was drifting into sleep, Juneau reappeared on the outskirts of the Apis's main gate. He waited there a couple of minutes, storing his [Grimoire] away.

 

Soon three figures could be seen on the road leading to the village, Juneau waited at his spot until they came close.

 

"Looks like we have a greeting committee to welcome us back home," said a strong-browed man.

 

"Ha. Ha. Very funny. I just felt your guys' presence nearby so I decided to meet you guys here," replied Juneau.

 

"'Felt our presence,' it's your [NorthStar] ability that you placed on us that allows you to know where we are," countered the strong-browned man while he was scratching his short curly hair.

 

"Now you know that my [NorthStar]'s beacon ability can only be granted through the other party's own free will, so I didn't force anything on you," Juneau said smiling.

 

"Stop your teasing Veler, thank you for meeting us Juneau. Is everything alright with Clovus," asked a dark green haired woman. She moved with grace as the group made its way towards Juneau. Her hair swaying at her waist as she moved.

 

"You're welcome Eris. Clovus is doing perfect. He's all excited about the ceremony tomorrow. I cannot believe that he's turning six years old already, the way he remembers everything we teach him is definitely unbefitting of his age as well as his pet," Juneau told truthfully. "But I really just wanted to know what you guys found on your patrol, but this isn't the right place to talk about that. Fawn, did you want to come along or did you want me to take you home," Juneau asked the third member of the party, a scrawny disheveled young man. He wore big round glasses and a basic tunic with long pants, both containing many pockets; it was normal compared to the all-black outfits Veler and Eris were wearing.

 

Fawn looked up from his tired trance, "If you could, please take me home that would be great," he replied with a wry smile. "I don't have the stamina that these two monsters do."

 

Juneau started laughing, while Veler and Eris shot glances towards Fawn. Before they could start insulting him, Juneau summoned his [Grimoire] and Fawn disappeared in a flash.

 

"Cheeky bastard," sniffed Veler. He looked towards Juneau, who was still sniggering, and said, "Let's get home, my body's starting to ache." He began to rub his shoulders. 

 

Juneau made a gesture and the three of them also disappeared with a flash.

 

***

 

The trio reappeared within the living room of Veler and Eris. The living room was nice and quaint; furnished with many black wood pieces, a pair of grandfather chairs, and a small couch.

 

"I'm going to go run a bath for the both of us while you debrief Juneau on the patrol," Eris said as she strode towards the master bedroom.

 

Veler nodded in response while taking off his gear and making his way towards a black cabinet near the chairs. He took out three glasses and a bottle of wine from the cabinet, and started pouring the wine into the glasses. He gestured for Juneau to sit down in one of the chairs and handed him one of the wine glasses.

 

"Thank you," Juneau said as he took the glass and sat down.

 

Veler then sat down and began recounting their patrol, "It's just as Fawn mentioned before we left. There seems to be a migration in the larger demonic beast herds, both the Terror Wolves and Twin-Flame Rams have left their respective areas. There are even more indications that other demonic beasts are beginning to migrate as well. We couldn't even find traces of the Swampus demonic beasts located in the Hash Marshes beyond the Black Oak Forest."

 

"Were there any leads that you guys could find from the disappearances," asked Juneau.

 

"Nothing," Veler replied with a concerned expression. "We searched the entirety of Hash Marsh and came up with nothing. Fawn has to use his abilities to their maximum extent the entire time within the marsh. That's why he's so exhausted."

 

"Well that makes sense, you and Eris have trained for long-term use of your abilities, but Fawn is just a researcher so he isn't really cut out for that type of usage," Juneau replied. He sighed and said, "It's pointless to ruminate on the demonic beasts' migrations. I only wanted to know the gist of the situation, let the village elders determine what to do. They'll probably send out more people for in-depth analysis of the situation." 

 

Veler nodded in response, taking a sip of his wine.

 

It looked as if Juneau was getting ready to leave as he finished drinking his wine, but he suddenly remembered something.

 

"Oh that's right! Were you able to find the material I asked you to keep an eye out for," Juneau asked enthusiastically.

 

Veler smiled and dug through pockets, pulling out a small tan money bag. He opened the bag and took out a thumb-sized brown and green piece of jade. Once the piece of jade left the bag, an overwhelming aura of earth pervaded the room. "We were in luck and found this in the deepest part of the marsh. With the Swampus gone, we didn't have to fear taking this piece." Veler tossed the piece of jade towards Juneau.

 

Juneau's eyes shone with excitement as he caught the stone, "This is great! With how strong the earth's essence is within this piece of jade, there's no doubt that this is the Earthen Jade. This size of Earthen Jade is perfect as well, with this amount I could make both of our presents for Clovus's ceremony. It's a shame you couldn't grab any more pieces."

 

"Fawn actually located several pieces. This was the biggest he found, but even with the Swampus gone, we were afraid of attracting other demonic beasts with its aura. The earth essence contained within this Earthen Jade was almost too strong for my Essence Sealing Bag to handle. I was afraid of adding more pieces," responded Veler with slight disappointment.

 

"That's only understandable if even your Essence Sealing Bag could barely contain this single piece of the Earthen Jade's aura, then taking anymore could have put your group in danger," agreed Juneau. He tucked the piece of jade into his belt, the earth essence instantly disappearing and got up from his chair.

 

"Alright, I've taken too much of your time already. I should be able to finish the presents before the ceremony starts, I'll see you until then. Go on now, Eris must be waiting for you," Juneau said while wiggling his eyebrows. He summoned his [Grimoire] and vanished before Veler could throw his glass at him.

 

"I really hate that ability of his..." Veler mumbled with envy. But he gave it no further thought as he started to rush towards the master bedroom with both hands holding wine glasses, and unceremoniously slipping his clothes off along the way.

2