Chapter 6: Surprise Attack (1)
23 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Clovus made his way through the crowd. He had already slipped the ring his uncle gave him onto his finger, so he placed the one his parents gave him on the other hand. He looked back to give a last goodbye but it seemed that his uncle disappeared already.

Soon he made it to the table where Pama was being petted by Grandpa Kahn.

 

"See! You do like Pama!"

 

Kahn turned to Clovus who was approaching them. "I do not like Pama, I like the thing hanging off of your Pama," his partly singed but neat beard trembled as he retorted. "Especially since I was the one who made it!"

 

Clovus wasn't surprised at learning this, "Of course you made it Grandpa! Who else would be able to make something this great."

 

"Um, I beg to differ. I seem to be able to make some pretty amazing things."

 

A woman had joined in their conversation. She was wearing a simple brown robe, there was tiny clanking emanating from her as she moved. She removed her hood as she took a seat next to Kahn. Her face was almost wooden, not only no expression but smooth as carved wood.

 

"In fact, I could say that the two of us have created some amazing things," she said as her eyes moved towards Pama's bell and Clovus's outfit.

 

*Cough*

 

Kahn coughed a response, "Well, Maaru, there were actually three of us who made these magnificent artefacts."

 

"Of course, I couldn't forget Juneau. In terms of formulas, he was especially helpful, but for design and assembly, that could be accredited to us." There was a hint of pride in her voice, but her wooden expression continued to stay on her face.

 

"Then I must thank you as well Maaru!" Clovus bowed slightly as she sat down.

 

"Oh it was a joy to create these items. Just having a chance to handle materials from an Obscure Commodore, and to witness the blacksmithing of Master Kahn's. The entire process was a learning experience."

 

"That's right. Your parents got quite lucky finding that Obscure Commodore's remains. Finding one alive is rare, but killing one is even rarer. I'm pretty sure your parents have told you about the abilities your clothes and piercings could grant you."

 

Clovus nodded, "My dad said that my outfit could change if I wanted it to."

 

"That's right. Using the Obscure Commodore's demon core, you will be able to change the appearance of your clothes, shoes, and piercings. It will regrow and mend itself when damaged, with only just a cost of using a bit of your essence. With some of the formulas we added, you would also be able to refresh your appearance," Kahn explained.

 

"I see that you have already adjusted your belt and the piercing on your labrum," Maaru said. "The essence you expended when changing them might have been a bit of a strain on your essence now, but as you, and your essence, grow the cost will become almost insignificant."

 

"That's right, and the two abilities attached to them, [TransparentSoul] and [Illusion], will slowly reveal themselves as you grow. The formulas your Uncle created could recognize the maximum essence contained within your body located in your [Well], which allows the formulas to know when you could handle the essence expense of the abilities, and releases the information into you, specifically through your piercings."

 

Clovus slowly took in the information given to him, trying to remember everything they said.

 

"There's more. Did your Master Resh tell you about the bangles," asked Maaru.

 

"He only said that the bangles will help in the development of my strength and body. They will grow along with me and when I am strong enough, I could break them off but something will happen when I take them off," replied Clovus. He was constantly aware of the weight bearing down upon him from the bangles, and he's been pushing through his fatigue from it all day. The weight wasn't unbearable but the events of the day had taken him out in numerous ways. From the physical exhaustion during training and the mental exhaustion from being pierced, as well as the shock of becoming a Ghrim Tamer; his body and mind was thoroughly fatigued. The potions he had received are alleviating the pain, but it could only do so much with mental fatigue.

 

"Of course he wouldn't go into detail."

 

"The formulas on the bangles are similar to the ones in your outfit, but it tracks your strength. Once your strength has gotten to certain points, new training techniques will be unlocked. The new techniques will appear on the bangles in the form of an animal, you just need to inject some essence into the animal and the techniques will be displayed. You'll know what I am talking about once the situation occurs," explained Maaru.

 

Kahn took over the explanation from here, "The bangles are made from two materials, well actually two materials that became one. During one of your parent's missions with Maaru and Fawn, they encountered this unique material. There was a Myriad Emerald Tree that grew its roots into an ore of Gridstone. Now there were special conditions for which these two materials fused together, but all you need to know is that they did. The Myriad Emerald Tree has great elastic properties, and even though it is a tree, it gives the appearance of an emerald gemstone. Gridstone is an extremely malleable metal that compliments the integration of essence to make great artefacts. The only downside of Gridstone is that it multiplies in weight every year after it gets refined. That downside is what makes it so useless for artefacts, if not it could have been among the top metals used for crafting materials.

 

"So these two, already precious materials, fused together to inhabit the properties of both materials. We took the new material and made those bangles," concluded Kahn.

 

"We had your Uncle create formulas that could delay the weight increase from the Gridstone. To slowly increase the weight as it recognizes your strength capacity. It was a hassle to get the final product how we wanted it. There was a lot of trial and error, we almost ran out of material," continued Maaru. "But your Uncle succeeded in his experimentation and created new formulas."

 

"We tested the newly formed material, dubbing it the Myriad Emerald Gridstone, and found that there was only a bit difference in quality between the original materials and the new one. Even after all the tests, we had plenty for your set of Unity Bangles, but Sir Resh placed a separate request to make a pair for Pama," Kahn told Clovus.

 

“Ah! Master Resh requested it for Pama?” 

 

“Mmm. He said that the two of you have a certain bond. That the both of you need to grow strong together. I guess he was right about that. Hahaha,” Kahn started to chuckle but noticed that Clovus had a pained expression. "Clovus? Are you alright?"

 

Kahn had noticed halfway through their explanation that Clovus's expression was changing slightly, but now he could see that Clovus was actually in pain.

 

Clovus didn't respond and instead held his head in his left hand. During the start of Kahn and Maaru's explanation, Clovus had begun to have an ache in his head. Soon a ringing began to start in his ears, but he could somewhat ignore it. Towards the end of the explanation, his taste and smell began to heighten, and his skin even began to feel raw. His headache only grew stronger and the ringing in his ears began to grow louder.

 

Maaru had noticed the change instantly but dismissed it as fatigue from everything that occurred today.

 

Pama, who was being petted by Kahn the entire conversations, also started to act differently as well. Pama's breath was starting to become ragged and he began to sway.

 

Kahn now noticed that the two of them were experiencing the same thing, and that they were both in pain.

 

He began to talk to Pama, "Pama! Listen to me, use the bell!"

 

Pama struggled to listen but a faint pearl glow could be seen surrounding him. Pama's mind began to ease but it wasn't due to the bell, it was due to the pearl light surrounding him.

 

Pama noticed and felt that Clovus was still in pain. Pama gathered the light surrounding him and it moved into the bell. The bell released a crisp light tone, one that would help to cleanse the mind of negative thoughts.

 

With the amount of light injected into the bell, the ring echoed throughout the village square. Clovus's pained expression lessened in an instant. Everyone heard the bell as well, many of the drunk villagers sobered up as they heard the ring. Everyone's attention was now on Pama's group.

 

Kahn looked around and waved his hand away, telling everyone that everything is fine.

 

Pama left Kahn's other hand and went to Clovus. He nestled his head into Clovus's chest, nuzzling him in comfort.

 

The pain in Clovus's head was subsiding, and the next thing he knew, he felt hands on his back.

 

"Clovus are you okay?"

 

"What happened," asked Veler. Both of his parents had appeared behind him.

 

"I'm not sure...Grandpa and Maaru were explaining the artefacts they created for me, and...I began to have a headache. It began to be too much and all of my senses felt like they were being torn apart. Even now everything feels sore; the clothes touching my body, the saliva I'm tasting in my mouth, the smell of the flowers, and the light from the will o' wisps. I think I just need to be away from everything right now. I'm fine, really. It feels like my senses are overloaded. But Pama pulled me away from the pain," Clovus hugged Pama's head.

 

The pearl light surrounding Pama became apparent around his fur again, enveloping both him and Clovus.

 

"I think getting away from everything is a good idea," Veler replied.

 

"There's Corque Park outside of the village square, we can go there for some silence," Eris suggested.

 

"That sounds like a good idea, but you guys can stay. I think I need to be alone for a while."

 

"I don't thin..."

 

Before Eris could finish her sentence, Veler placed his hand on her shoulder, shaking his head. "Take your time Clovus, we'll stay over here."

 

Clovus climbed on top of Pama's back and they headed out of the village square.

 

Once they had left the square for about a minute, Eris called out, "Aide." Aide appeared next to Eris in an instant. "Go follow Clovus and Pama, make sure nothing happens to them. But stay a distance from them, let them have their space still."

 

Aide shook her fur and disappeared in a flurry of white particles.

 

***

 

A dark humanoid figure was standing on top of the village houses. His body was very indistinct and seemed to meld into the darkness of the night. He was staring down at the villagers celebrating, enjoying their time. His main focus was on the child and water buffalo making their way out of the square.

 

It was surprising that he was able to spy on all the villagers. With almost every villager being an expert in combat, they should have known when they were being spied on. It was especially surprising because the figure was able to evade Juneau scanning above.

 

The figure's one eye flashed as he saw Clovus and Pama finally exit the square.

 

His other eye was only just a socket and it soon darkened, it seemed that the darkness surrounding his body stemmed from his empty eye socket.

 

"They couldn't escape from the Empire that easily, now they'll know that they shouldn't take what's not theirs," a grating voice whispered into the air.

 

The figure brought out a navy colored flute, the material seemed to be made of bone. He blew three short notes, but it seemed like no sound came out from the flute.

 

"Let's wait to see where they go first."

 

He blew a long note, and the flute disappeared into the darkness surrounding him.

 

His transparent body melded further into the darkness. The darkness gathered into his empty eye socket and he disappeared into it.

 

***

 

Clovus entered Corque Park feeling a bit more relieved. His senses felt raw and battered, it was hard to concentrate on any of his senses individually.

 

"Pama, could you use that bell again?"

 

Clovus could feel that Pama's essence was running low. It wasn't surprising. First because of how recent his [Well] was opened, and second from putting all of the essence he had when he first rang the bell.

 

Pama nodded his head and used the Mind Cleansing Bell a second time. Clovus's mind was still hazy but upon hearing the second toll, his mind had really cleared up.

 

"Thank you Pama," Clovus rubbed Pama's head. "I really needed that, I could barely think with the sensory overload."

 

Pama's fur seemed a bit lackluster compared to when the Grim ceremony had started.

 

"It feels like my senses are now interconnected with your senses Pama," Clovus got off of Pama as he said that. "Do you feel the same way?"

 

Pama flapped his ears in agreement. "But it's more than that, it's like my senses have become more enhanced. Like, my senses are now heightened to a demon beast's. Do you think you've become a demon beast with what the [Grimoire] saying Peaceful Carabao?"

 

Clovus knew Pama couldn't respond to him through words, but Clovus began to sense something through his and Pama's link.

 

Clovus focused his attention on the link between the two of them.

 

Clovus examined Pama's body through his senses. He focused on Pama's chest and realized that something was growing inside of Pama's heart. It was the size of a grain of sand, and it was pearl white in color.

 

Clovus withdrew his senses from Pama and came back to reality. "I guess I can delve into your body using essence...but there really does seem something to be growing in you Pama."

 

It was just like the chieftain said, we were transforming due to Clovus's [Tamer] ability. He began to lament his ceremony but his ears perked up. Although they had already left the village square, his ears picked up a conversation.

 

"...do you think about Clovus' situation?"

 

Clovus couldn't tell who was talking but he heard his name so he continued on listening.

 

"I think it's sad that his parents put him through this."

 

"Mmm, I heard the reason they were being pursued by Yardis and Tarven was because of Clovus. Eris and Veler were from opposing sides, they had encountered each other on many missions. They went from rivals to lovers, they noticed something peculiar about their [Grimoires] once they revealed them to each other. Their [Grimoires] were completely the same, but reversed in colors. Same pattern, same nooks, same everything.

 

"It turned out that Yardis and Tarven allowed the two to consummate their love to produce an heir. They wanted to see if the baby, Clovus, turned out to be special because of the two's [Grimoires]. I guess they were right."

 

"What?! I've never heard of this, where'd you find all this out!"

 

 

"Well, don't tell anyone but Juneau has loose lips when he drinks."

 

"Loose lips? I thought he completely blackouts when he drinks too much."

 

"Oh he does, but right before he blacks out he has a grace period before he's completely gone."

 

Clovus stopped listening at that point, and he felt his body start to become hot. I was the cause of mom and dad being on the run? I caused them all of their hardship? They'll never be able to live a normal life because of me?

 

His mind felt like it was going to catch on fire. Pama nipped at his sleeves, urging him to get on his back. Clovus could feel Pama's intentions, "You're right Pama, I think I need to get farther away from the square. Let's head towards the west gate from here, there's the small meadow where we could truly be alone."

 

***

 

"Perfect."

 

The dark figure made a smile that would scare anyone looking at it. He was on one of the roofs above Clovus and Pama, who were making their way towards the west gate.

 

He pulled out the navy flute again and played a small tune before storing it away.

 

"Now they'll see that they can't escape us."

0