Chapter 4: Ghrim Ceremony (2)
29 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Pama and Aide pulled the carriage along the road, Clovus asked his parents to tell him about their latest mission.

 

Eris and Veler smiled at this, they were amazed that Clovus didn't seem worried about the ceremony, but they obliged with his request.

 

While recounting their mission, they neared the entrance of the village, which changes could already be seen from. The once bare village was now a vibrant oasis of plants and springs. 

 

A minute before they entered the village, they noticed the road turning from dirt into white cobblestone. The most interesting part was when walking on the stones, they emitted a bioluminescent light. With each step, an array of colors would burst across the surface of the cobblestones. 

 

At this point, Eris and Veler had stopped talking and also stared in wonder at the village's new appearance.

 

Clovus's eyes glowed as they began to enter the streets. The plants they had seen earlier creeping onto the houses had now grown fully up the walls and into the air, forming arches in-between the houses. 

 

The roads were lined with trenches where fresh water could be seen flowing within them. The water led to, and from, the fountains they had seen earlier as well, the water trenches connected to every single fountain, creating a simple design if one were to look from above.

 

Atop of each fountain was a small will o'wisp, illuminating the intricacies of the fountains' design. 

 

As they walked through the arches of plants, they soon saw many flowers of various types dangling from above. They stretched down until they were about shoulder length to Eris and Veler. The flowers emitted a calming scent of nature and the sweet smell of honeydew. Upon touching the flower, it also began shining with light, like the cobblestones. 

 

They made their way to the village square, staring in amazement. Oohing and Aahing at all the fountains they passed by, and admiring the beauty of the flowers and plants proliferating the streets. 

 

As they got closer to the village square, they started to notice sparkling glitter through the air. They looked up and Clovus remembered the [Fungi] Ghrims that followed behind the [Gaia] Ghrims, he looked at an area he saw the [Fungi] Ghrims working and stopped a mushroom. He realized that the "glitter" being spread through the air was actually a mushroom releasing its spores. The mushrooms probably had zero effect and were purely used for aesthetics. 

 

The family entered the village square and finally saw people, they hadn't encountered anybody when walking through the village. 

 

The village square was lined with booths and stalls, either displaying a game to play, offering things to buy or eat, or offered other random activities to enjoy. In the middle of the square stood a huge statue with Clovus riding on top of Pama. The statue was made of different materials, all matching the details of the actual Clovus and Pama. The words "Congratulations Clovus, Enjoy Your Sixth Birth Year!!" were etched into bottom of the statue. 

 

Surrounding the statue were various tables for everyone to eat and sit. The family stepped down from the carriage and unhinged the two animals pulling it. Eris took Clovus into her arms and placed him atop Pama’s back. Veler stepped beside Pama and urged them to start moving towards the crowd. Clovus gave a slight worried look as he glanced back at his parents. They waved him forward and nodded their heads in reassurance. 

 

A path was made as Pama and Clovus stepped into the square. Rows of will o'wisps began to form dotted walls from the entrance of the village square to the fountain and finally to the steps leading into the [Library]. This is where everyone in the village was lined-up, waiting for Clovus and Pama to arrive at the steps. Music could be heard and singing soon followed.

 

As Pama finally arrived in front of the crowd. Maverick, the village chieftain, stepped forward. The music had stopped playing as Maverick started to talk. "On behalf of the village of Apis, we congratulate you, Clovus, upon reaching your sixth year of birth, granting you the opportunity to become a renowned figure, a Ghrim." 

 

Clovus had gotten off of Pama before the chieftain began talking. Clovus was now bowing his head in front of the chieftain.

 

"Thank you for giving me this chance to become a Ghrim, but the village didn't have to go all out like this on me."

 

"Oh, don't worry about it, the people of the village are more than happy to celebrate something. It was especially easy to ask for help because you and your family has already done so much for this village within the six years of staying here."

 

Clovus stood straight with a smile on his face. He urged Pama to walk up the steps with him. He passed by the chieftain and they exchanged smiles, with the chieftain giving him a reassuring nod. There were about 50 people standing on the steps leading into the [Library]. Everyone wished Clovus, and Pama, congratulations on their birth year, and good luck to Clovus in becoming a Ghrim. 

 

They finally arrived at the door of the [Library]. Clovus breathed out a sigh and rubbed Pama's head as he gazed down at everyone. They all smiled back and his parents were waving at him with proud grins plastered on their faces. They realized he was looking at them and they waved him to go in. 

 

Clovus took another deep breath, turning away from the people down below and whispering to Pama, "Okay buddy, wish me luck." 

 

Pama flapped his ears in encouragement and gave Clovus a quick lick on the cheek. Clovus giggled and pushed Pama's head away. Clovus hesitated in lifting his hand before making a confident expression, and reaching for the door handle and he pushed the door open to step inside. Everyone outside became quiet, they began to move towards their seats at the tables, and some people went to go man their booths and stalls. Music still played in the air, but in a more relaxed manner.

 

***

 

Clovus stepped into the [Library]'s hall. He noticed the large white pillars littering the room with the addition of message boards the village added for the convenience of looking at missions. 

 

Clovus started to become nervous as he made his way towards the counter in the back of the hall, but it was just as his parents described it.

 

He wanted to recalled what his parents experienced in their Ghrim ceremony, but was too distracted because his new piercings began to ache again. He had some slight discomfort when they entered the village, it had been bearable until now, he couldn't ignore it anymore. The talon part of the piercing was still pretty sharp and it began to leave shallow cuts Clovus's tongue. I wish this stupid piercing could change its shape. And at that thought, Clovus felt a slight energy leave his body. He saw a muffled flash being emitted near his lips and felt the sharp piercing become a small blunt surface, so that the piercing was flush against his inner lip.

 

Clovus was surprised, it happened so fast. He suddenly remembered that his father had said about the outfit, including accessories, would be able to change upon his command. He didn't realize that the command would be fulfilled with just a thought. Clovus couldn't help but think about that dream again from when he passed out. 

 

This [Library] was pretty minute compared to the first [Libraries] that were founded so it only took two minutes for Clovus to make it to the pedestal within the counter. He came right before the pedestal. Clovus was told many times that placing his hand on the Ghrim Orb would determine whether or not a person would become a Ghrim.

 

Clovus took a breath and placed his hand on the orb. Grey light soon burst from the orb, encompassing Clovus and soon the entirety of the [Library].

 

***

 

Everyone in the village was patiently waiting at their tables outside. They all had various expressions on their faces from concern, excitement, or indifference. They chattered with each other, waiting for either a white or black light to shine from the [Library]'s only window, indicating a successful Ghrim, or they would see Clovus walk through the doors without any light. Regardless of the outcome, the entire village would still celebrate his sixth year of life.

 

What the villagers did not expect was the entire [Library] emit a light, a grey colored one at that. The light bursted all around the [Library] expanding to three feet around its base and exploding into the air. Many phenomena began to occur after the burst of grey light reaching into the air, shockwaves reverberated from the village and everyone stood at attention. 

 

They weren't scared of what would happen to the [Library] and village, but the burst of light could have probably attracted nearby demonic beasts.

 

***

 

[Libraries] throughout the entire country of Alchrem were releasing a grey light, it certainly was a phenomenon that had never occurred before.

 

The event left many powerful figures scratching their heads in confusion.

 

Many thought it was an omen, while others believed it to be something only the creators of the [Libraries] should worry about.

 

***

 

Many beings were alerted to a shift in the [Cosmos] at this time. Four humanoid beings specifically became elated upon sensing the change.

 

It's finally begun, they had all thought at the same time.

 

A woman covered in tattoos had released ink from her fingers that disappeared into the air.

 

A man covered in thin clothes was walking through a valley of dunes before he disappeared amidst a sandstorm.

 

Another man closed his book as he saw ink flash before his pages.

 

An ancient tree began to creak as it shifted its weight.

 

*** 

 

Clovus's eyesight finally returned as the grey light faded away. In his hands was a grey leather bound book. It had many creases on the cover, it was almost like wrinkles but they were taut instead of malleable. In-between on the creases, were bulges, seven to be exact. They gave off the feeling that they were closed eyes, but as Clovus ran his hand through the cover, everything was solid and felt completely like a leather-bound book. 

 

Clovus had a slight frown between his brows. He never heard of a [Grimoire] being any other color than black or white. Maybe the material being different, or the color pattern of black and white being unique to every Ghrim. But never a [Grimoire] of any other color.

 

Instead of worrying about it alone, he decided to go outside where the experts reside. 

 

As he turned towards the front door, he noticed immediate changes within himself. He felt that every move he made was bolstered with energy and he was now aware of the flow of essence within his body. He couldn’t quite control the flow of essence, but he could feel that the essence pooled into some sort of well. As of now, he could feel the essence inside of him was only filled to about a quarter full. He flexed his body about and decided to head back outside now, he thought the large pillar of light may have worried the others outside. 

 

He made his way back to the front of the [Library], looking at the [Grimoire] in detail, even opening it to look inside, and he soon arrived at the door.

 

He pulled the door open and standing before him was Pama. He could feel the essence inside of Pama as well, even more tangible to him than his own. 

 

Pama also felt a bit different when seeing Clovus, he felt that Clovus had changed. He was also able to sense an energy coming from the book he was holding.

 

"Hey, buddy. I didn't take too long did I?" Clovus reached to rub Pama's head and as soon as they touched, Clovus's [Grimoire] lifted from Clovus' hand into the air. 

 

A grey light was being emitted from the book and it soon opened to the first page, the light seemed to get sucked into the page. The light condensed to become words on the page. 

 

At the same time, Clovus and Pama felt something change within them. It felt like Clovus's consciousness was being swept up by something and transported into Pama’s body.

 

***

 

The next moment he realized he was standing in an open field. There was a lone house in the field, and it even looked like their house.

 

There was no one around Clovus but he soon noticed the door opening to the house. Out came Pama striding towards him. Pama had the same exact appearance as when he was standing in front of the [Library]. 

 

"How did we get here Pama? Where is this place?"

 

Pama didn't answer of course but instead walked to be in front of Clovus.

 

It was then Clovus noticed a slight pearl-white light emanating from Pama's fur. "Pama what's surrounding you?"

 

In response, Pama closed his eyes and extended his head up towards Clovus. Clovus noticed that the light started to fluctuate and formed a thread. The thread slowly shot towards Clovus. Clovus wasn't worried about the thread hurting him and actually felt an incomparable sense of calm coming from the thread.

 

Clovus stared at Pama with wonder, waiting for him to go back to normal, but he didn't. Clovus got worried, "Pama what's wrong? Why aren't you moving?"

 

Pama stayed in his position, unresponsive. Clovus became even more anxious but suddenly felt a sense of calm wash over him. The thread entered his chest and Clovus felt movement within his body. He decided to close his eyes to try to pinpoint what was happening. 

 

Within his body, the flow of essence was circling his heart, but the color of the essence was different from usual, it was pearl-white in color. The essence transformed into a piece of thread and it seemed it was waiting for it to be let in, but around his heart was a silver-sage aura protecting it. Sensing this, Clovus willed the aura to open a small gap, and as soon as the gap opened, the thread disappeared into Clovus's heart. As the thread disappeared into his heart, Clovus felt like a piece of him that he didn’t even know was missing, finally came back together.

 

Clovus knew what to do next by instinct. He closed the gap back up and willed the aura surrounding his heart to form a thread of his own. Clovus opened his eyes back up and extended his hand. From his hand came a silver-sage colored thread, the thread rose from his fingers and flashed towards Pama, vanishing into Pama's body.

 

Pama's body flashed in pearl-white light then a silver-sage light before the pearl light completely covered his body once again.

 

Pama finally opened his eyes, which seemed like they were glistening with tears. Clovus felt his cheeks being splashed with something and realized that he was crying, the same as Pama.

 

Clovus looked at Pama and felt the emotions Pama was feeling. He also got the sense of what Pama was thinking as well. It was funny because Clovus was thinking the same thing as well, home.

 

The two got close to each other and Clovus embraced Pama's neck.

 

***

 

The scene of Pama and Clovus faded and the next thing they knew, they were back in front of the [Library] with Clovus rubbing Pama's head.

 

The light emitting from Clovus's [Grimoire] faded away from the page, and words could be seen written down. At the top of the page, {Tamer}, was written.

 

The audience stared at Clovus with incredulity in their eyes. Most Ghrims would have to stimulate themselves, like fighting for their life or being placed in a perilous situation, in order to gain their abilities, but Clovus was able to awaken his first ability essentially by doing nothing. The last people who were known to do this were the Sacred Ancestors, or those who were able to create a new category of abilities, like the [Transformation], [Cosmos], and [Teleportation] abilities. Most Ghrims had to supplement their abilities with one's that non-Ghrims could use like talisman making, using a weapon, or other venues in which one could strengthen themselves for battle. 

 

Four spots of lights could be seen flashing from the crowd, as well as from Clovus and Pama. This interrupted everyone’s thoughts but before anyone could react, Maverick's voice could be heard echoing throughout the square. "We'll be returning shortly with the newest Ghrim, where we will then all celebrate!"

 

The villagers mildly cheered, many were whispering amongst themselves.

1